Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 46
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess that bucket full of aluminum foil wrapped NOS 1911 mags I bought at the North Store a couple of years ago will be worth something in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m an FFL.

I’ve made 3 submissions, waited a week with no confirmation and submitted again. Got confirmation on 2 today. Nothing on the third.
Resubmitted my FFL for the third and got confirmation right back immediately of the first one again.

Who is doing this system? First one I did send in I originally got “why shipping address different” and that was it.
Confidence in this process is dropping dramatically.
View Quote
I thought you could only put in an application for one pistol.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
this is correct. I've put these in for customers. They've asked me to send it in and reference their name per the CMP form instructions. Per the instructions I should have received confirmation emails.

Since I didn't after a good week had gone by and the deadline approached people were freaking out, so I resubmitted. Got the final acknowledgement 2 days ago. So they are just a couple weeks behind acknowledging.

Also, an initial email response of "why shipping address different" wasn't confidence inspiring. I had to send them a FAQ from the ATF website about the difference between premise address and mailing address to satisfy them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
this is correct. I've put these in for customers. They've asked me to send it in and reference their name per the CMP form instructions. Per the instructions I should have received confirmation emails.

Since I didn't after a good week had gone by and the deadline approached people were freaking out, so I resubmitted. Got the final acknowledgement 2 days ago. So they are just a couple weeks behind acknowledging.

Also, an initial email response of "why shipping address different" wasn't confidence inspiring. I had to send them a FAQ from the ATF website about the difference between premise address and mailing address to satisfy them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
CMP forum has been down for a few days now. Maybe they’re tired of all the crap they’ve been getting from overly anxious applicants.

Remember, tomorrow is the deadline to send in a packet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine should be there tomorrow by 1500.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CMP forum has been down for a few days now. Maybe they’re tired of all the crap they’ve been getting from overly anxious applicants.

Remember, tomorrow is the deadline to send in a packet.
View Quote
It's kinda garbage that they waffled on the deadline.

It was pretty clear from the package and the CMP forum admin said that all applications had to be received by 4 October. Then 5 October was going to be the day the numbers were assigned.

Now they're going to have mail trickling in for a week or better.

90 days to get the packet ready, window opened a month ago with the stipulation that it was supposed to be in by tomorrow. If they were going to accept stuff that arrived after the 4th they shouldn't have announced that until the 4th.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's kinda garbage that they waffled on the deadline.

It was pretty clear from the package and the CMP forum admin said that all applications had to be received by 4 October. Then 5 October was going to be the day the numbers were assigned.

Now they're going to have mail trickling in for a week or better.

90 days to get the packet ready, window opened a month ago with the stipulation that it was supposed to be in by tomorrow. If they were going to accept stuff that arrived after the 4th they shouldn't have announced that until the 4th.
View Quote
The original packet said postmarked by the 4th. I paid overnight shipping on mine since I've been traveling all over and didn't have time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
they're still supposed to go by the postmark, this is supposedly for "misdirected" mail

i mailed mine first class last friday.  knowing how the usps operates this might have saved mine from going in the trash
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
shoulda read this thread.  I paid for overnight express for mine so it would get there by tomorrow.  Didn't realize they were going to accept late submissions.  Website clearly states they'd draw on the 5th.  Oh well.  What's another $25

ETA: I fucked around and almost forgot to submit.  For some reason I thought the deadline was the 10th.  I was looking for my club membership card all last week and couldn't find it.  Finally remembered where I had stashed it with my other CMP stuff last night.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Life has been crazy busy and I thought the drawing started in October. Am I screwed if I submitted a packet tomorrow? If the drawing is on the 5th, even overnighting it I likely miss that right? Damnit
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I plan to.  For real deal USGI the price is more than fair.
View Quote
No way man, I know a guy who bought one from a guy for $431 and it perfect. Lol

I’m in my wife is in my father in law is in
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Read the last page or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Life has been crazy busy and I thought the drawing started in October. Am I screwed if I submitted a packet tomorrow? If the drawing is on the 5th, even overnighting it I likely miss that right? Damnit
Read the last page or so.
And make sure you triple check everything on the checklist on page 4A. (Include the checklist)

Leave the bottom half of page 3A blank.

Send it Priority Mail with a postmark by 10/04 and you should be fine.

If sending for a spouse, relative, etc., send each application in a separate envelope.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And make sure you triple check everything on the checklist on page 4A. (Include the checklist)

Leave the bottom half of page 3A blank.

Send it Priority Mail with a postmark by 10/04 and you should be fine.

If sending for a spouse, relative, etc., send each application in a separate envelope.
View Quote
Did you put anything in the item/description blocks?  I left them blank because it said they would contact for available grades and payment info.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been crazy busy and forgot about this.

The only requirement I'm missing is the CMP affiliated organization.  Are there any I can join and immediately print out a membership card?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:35:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you put anything in the item/description blocks?  I left them blank because it said they would contact for available grades and payment info.
View Quote
No, the CMP 1911 forums admin instructed to leave that entire section blank.  On page 3A only fill in the top section with the contact and FFL information.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:39:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only requirement I'm missing is the CMP affiliated organization.  Are there any I can join and immediately print out a membership card?
View Quote
Garand Collectors Association
LINK

1) Select YES when asked if you want them to send membership info to CMP.
2) Print out your invoice (the emailed one is shorter) and send that with your packet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LINK

2) Print out your invoice (the emailed one is shorter) and send that with your packet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

Thanks, I'm going to put my name in the hat today. :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, the CMP 1911 forums admin instructed to leave that entire section blank.  On page 3A only fill in the top section with the contact and FFL information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool. My packet was delivered at 1100 today so there's a chance. I wonder how many put in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cool. My packet was delivered at 1100 today so there's a chance. I wonder how many put in.
View Quote
Enough that they figure this pool of applicants will create the order for all future sales.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They established a grading criteria - that's all.  In this first batch, 3000 came from the Army museum (some may be collectable, some not). The rest were Anniston rebuilds. In future years they don' t know what they will get, so they established a criteria for all.  Since there may well never be another sale, it seems to me to be a prudent idea.

Remember, they are authorized to receive up to 100,000 at 10,000 per year. The Army opted to only give them 8000 this year.  If they get 100,000 applications during this acceptance period, there will not be any more offerings. Next years allocation (if any) will start with the first number not drawn this year.

They did not show only the good ones, there are pictures out there of the "museum" pistols, and the Anniston rebuilds.   Bottom line, if you are fortunate enough to get drawn, you then have the option of accepting or refusing. Til then you don't have a dollar invested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not all of them, they only showed the good ones.  
From CMP:
Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.
They established a grading criteria - that's all.  In this first batch, 3000 came from the Army museum (some may be collectable, some not). The rest were Anniston rebuilds. In future years they don' t know what they will get, so they established a criteria for all.  Since there may well never be another sale, it seems to me to be a prudent idea.

Remember, they are authorized to receive up to 100,000 at 10,000 per year. The Army opted to only give them 8000 this year.  If they get 100,000 applications during this acceptance period, there will not be any more offerings. Next years allocation (if any) will start with the first number not drawn this year.

They did not show only the good ones, there are pictures out there of the "museum" pistols, and the Anniston rebuilds.   Bottom line, if you are fortunate enough to get drawn, you then have the option of accepting or refusing. Til then you don't have a dollar invested.
According to CMP Admin, the number of  1911s from the Army Historical Department was around 1,200.

Not sure where the 3K number came from.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not for those prices
View Quote
Especially considering how worn out they all are.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
More than 17,000 applications is the number I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
More than 17,000 applications is the number I've seen.
View Quote
If true, there's no way they'd get out all the receipt  confirmation emails before pulling numbers on the 5th.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If true, there's no way they'd get out all the receipt  confirmation emails before pulling numbers on the 5th.
View Quote
Reading the CMP forum suggest number draws won't happen for a week and there will be no email notifications until the random number generator assigns numbers. At least you'll have an idea of the wait once the number is assigned.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought it was too many hoops to jump through. A c&r and the other paperwork should have sufficed but no throw in two background checks and a dealer fee. Screw it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought it was too many hoops to jump through. A c&r and the other paperwork should have sufficed but no throw in two background checks and a dealer fee. Screw it.
View Quote
That's the fault of the government not the CMP. If my number is too high I'll just buy the Zenith I've been eyeballing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not for those prices
LOL, WUT?

American Rifleman Article

Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Sent mine in last month. *Not* holding my breath that I might get one. Still, I had to try. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought the dealer FFL was the hardest part.  I had to go to 4 different FFLs before one would help.  The first three told me the CMP had to call them to "authorize" them to send an FFL.  I swear to god, FFLs do this shit and then wonder why no one wants to have anything to do with them.  Luckily, the 4th place was cool and knew what the CMP is and just handed me a copy of their FFL.  Would have gone there first, but it's like an hour's drive.

My guess is there's about a 10% chance of getting a 1911 if you sent in an app.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your customers filled out new applications with notarized form etc?

Sounds like a fine way to get excluded for multiple applications.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, no. I emailed in my FFL with reference to their name. One application per person. One guy was freaking out I hadn’t gotten confirmation of FFL receipt. I waited a week and resubmitted FFL and once I got confirmation I let him know to get his blood pressure down.

Way I understand it, you can submit a printed FFL with the application.
Or you can have the FFL email and that FFL should receive e-mail confirmation of receipt of FFL only.

I gave my FFL printed copy to submit, but someone was worried that they hadn’t written their name on the FFL according to instructions.

Basically, people are freaking the fuck out over this and everybody is interpreting the instructions slightly differently.

I don’t know why they couldn’t have just had people submit apps then if approved contact an FFL after that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Thought about it, but way too high for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The original packet said postmarked by the 4th. I paid overnight shipping on mine since I've been traveling all over and didn't have time.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where did you see that number?
View Quote
CMP forum
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Totally forgot. O well maybe next go round
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I figured. I looked over there and never found a definitive number.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you see that number?
CMP forum
I figured. I looked over there and never found a definitive number.
I was reading the forum tonight.  I didn't see it either.

I bet the CMP doesn't even know how many they have yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I thought the dealer FFL was the hardest part.  I had to go to 4 different FFLs before one would help.  The first three told me the CMP had to call them to "authorize" them to send an FFL.  I swear to god, FFLs do this shit and then wonder why no one wants to have anything to do with them.  Luckily, the 4th place was cool and knew what the CMP is and just handed me a copy of their FFL.  Would have gone there first, but it's like an hour's drive.
View Quote
I guess I should consider myself lucky. An FFL 15 minutes from me charges $20 for transfers and keeps a copy of his form on his website in .pdf format.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I sent in my paperwork last week.  My wife is eligible to purchase to she filled out the paperwork also we sent it in, to increase our chances of buying a pistol.

Out of curiosity, I visited the CMP forum today, which I rarely do, to see what's going on with the 1911 stuff.  I find a thread with an update from the management about filling out the paperwork.  They have decided that if there is more than 1 order packet per envelope, it will be rejected.  Well, fuck me, I sent both mine and my wife's in the same envelope.  I re-read the ordering instructions, and it says nothing about one order per envelope.  It does say one order per customer, duh, but not per envelope.  Since today is the deadline there's no way to fix it and now I'm fucked.  Why in the hell would I expect I would need to send two separate envelopes?  Common sense said send one and save the postage, right?  They changed the procedure relatively at the end and the only way you would know it is if you hang out in their forum. I sent them a nicely worded email expressing my displeasure, I kept it clean, but explained it was wrong to change the rules like that.  For what good it will do.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#49]
My guess is it's due to the lottery system. If they pull your envelope, which order get the slot?
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I decided to toss my name in the hat, got my package post marked on the last day.  I don't understand the guys who think the application process was overly cumbersome...

If I don't get drawn, I'm only out $7 priority mail postage.  If I do get drawn and it is a "POS" the collector market will refund my investment with interest.  
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top