User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What the hell is french fry sauce?
View Quote
Likely what we refer to as ketchup. Some countries have laws about what Ketchup actually consists of; our shit (Heinz etc. etc.) usually doesn't qualify.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mayonnaise with some added stuff... Think weak tartar sauce.
View Quote
I stand corrected. Also, that's fucking gross.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did they have touch screen kiosks like the one on Champs Elysees?
View Quote
Yes, and mine didn’t work well. It was worse than self checkout at Walmart.

I had to eat standing up, by the way. The limited seating was taken up by different groups of Nigerians.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
We were in Paris last fall and ate at the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower.  The food was amazing. We stayed at the Timhotel Berthier. The little restaurants on the walk to the Arc De' Triomphe had very good food.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got more questions than you can answer.

Yet, did or are you enjoying, having fun, etc., in Paris?  That is the real question.  If you are having fun then nothing really matters, what makes you happy is what matters.
View Quote
Good time? Of course. Life is too short not to have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I ate at the one across the street from the Gare du Nord and it was ghetto as hell.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think everyone should at least once.

You haven't lived until you've had a royal with cheese.
View Quote
I'd be afraid my Turetts would kick in: "I'll have a Royal with CHEESE EATING SURRENDER MONKEYS! FUCK! SHIT!"
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We were in Paris last fall and ate at the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower.  The food was amazing. We stayed at the Timhotel Berthier. The little restaurants on the walk to the Arc De' Triomphe had very good food.
View Quote
I’ve eaten at both (Jules Verne and 58) over the years. Ate at 58 yesterday. The food was better than McDonalds
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
We had been in France several days and were craving some American food for a change.  Stopped into a little place on the Champs Elysee called Cathy Burger.  Holy shit, they put some kind of hotter-than-the-depths-of-Hell mustard on it.  A lot of it.  I had to scrape off as much as I possibly could and still could just barely eat it.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Had this at a McDonald’s In Bahrain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We had been in France several days and were craving some American food for a change.  Stopped into a little place on the Champs Elysee called Cathy Burger.  Holy shit, they put some kind of hotter-than-the-depths-of-Hell mustard on it.  A lot of it.  I had to scrape off as much as I possibly could and still could just barely eat it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 Guys is here (as well as in London).

My hotel doorman told me an In-N-Out Burger just opened and he ate there a couple of days ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
The dinner I had sitting outside a small restaurant in a Parisian park is one the best I've ever had.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I ate at McDonalds in Paris back in 1989. It was like an art museum full of sculptures and paintings.

McDonalds in Germany was just like the US. You could order in English but the polite way was to order a Royale mit kase und pomme frittes und cola.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Then why the f**k is the Burger King on the front of the damn place!?

CMOS  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I always hit the big American fast food places when I am abroad. Pizza Hut in Bucharest had a maitre d and wine list! McDonald's in Moscow was a trip. The fries are so much better for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Only food I had when in Dunkirk years ago was McDonald's. CSB.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Op, goes to Paris and eats at MD.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Op, goes to Paris and eats at MD.
View Quote
I once described a component to a dish at The French Laundry as tasting like a high quality Big Mac sauce So, there’s that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I always hit the big American fast food places when I am abroad. Pizza Hut in Bucharest had a maitre d and wine list! McDonald's in Moscow was a trip. The fries are so much better for some reason.
View Quote
I like to check out food chains, as well as grocery stores, all over the world. The differences can be amazing, as well as eye opening.

The Coke here, and in the UK is so much better than the corn syrup laden stuff from back home. KitKats... Potato Chips... Ketchup... So, many things taste better, fresher, and have flavors other than sweet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like to check out food chains, as well as grocery stores, all over the world. The differences can be amazing, as well as eye opening.

The Coke here, and in the UK is so much better than the corn syrup laden stuff from back home. KitKats... Potato Chips... Ketchup... So, many things taste better, fresher, and have flavors other than sweet.
View Quote
How is the Bud Light there?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How is the Bud Light there?
View Quote
Haven’t seen it.

I had a 1/2 pint of Coors Light at a pub in Ireland. For some strange reason they had it on tap. It tasted just as beer like as the stuff is at home. I then went back to Murphy’s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, the week I spent in Paris, I don't think I even SAW a McDonalds.  Saw a couple outside Paris, but not in the city.  Got sandwiches from Paul in the Louvre, that was as close to fast food as we came.  And hot chocolate from Angelina.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#27]
French fries must be authentic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do they call a quarter pounder with cheese there???
View Quote
I know what they call it in Leeuwarden, In the Netherlands.

They call it a quarter-pounder with cheese.

Go figure.  That kind of took me aback when I saw it on the menu.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does the burger itself look any different?

ETA: And does the small fries come standard with the meal, assuming you ordered the meal deal?  Because if it did, that's bullshit.  It should at least come with a medium fries.  The last time I had a small McDonald's fries I was still in grade school.
View Quote
When I was stationed in the UK, I had some friends from Leeds stay with me one weekend.  I went on base to get some BK to bring back, and they were astounded by the size of our medium drinks and fries.

One of the reasons why Americans are such fat bastards.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I ate at McDonalds in Paris back in 1989. It was like an art museum full of sculptures and paintings.

McDonalds in Germany was just like the US. You could order in English but the polite way was to order a Royale mit kase und pomme frittes und cola.
View Quote
Did you get a litreocola?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#31]
What did the Fillet Of Filly Burger taste like?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Did you get a litreocola?
View Quote
I got a “large.” It would be a “regular” or “medium” back in the US.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#33]
In before Royale with Cheese.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Man, the week I spent in Paris, I don't think I even SAW a McDonalds.  Saw a couple outside Paris, but not in the city.  Got sandwiches from Paul in the Louvre, that was as close to fast food as we came.  And hot chocolate from Angelina.
View Quote
There’s a Starbucks at the Louvre.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably cost you 15 euros too.

Best Whopper I ever had was at a rest stop Burger King in France. Not sure what they did to make it so good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Probably cost you 15 euros too.

Best Whopper I ever had was at a rest stop Burger King in France. Not sure what they did to make it so good.
View Quote
11 Euro (about $14).

It was expensive crap food, but the line at the pickup counter was 10 deep the entire time I was there, and turnover was quick (about 90 seconds).

There were even delivery drivers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Come on op, more pics of burger, inside McD’s Paris, catsup packets, moar!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
do they offer vino with the food?

They didn't in Amsterdam, nor Belgium last I checked
View Quote
You know what they put on French fries in Belgium? Mayonnaise. I've seen it man, they drown um in that shit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah no shit. Best food on the planet and you go to MickeyD’s?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...all the way to Paris and you eat at a McDonalds???
Yeah no shit. Best food on the planet and you go to MickeyD’s?
Tourists need touchstones at times.  I went to the McDs near the train station in Frankfurt when I was there a long time ago.  This was also down in the red light district.  The food was good, the crowd was something else.  Lots of Japanese tourists, male and female, down in the red light district.

I was there with several coworkers.  We ate very well, tyvm.  Italian was quite common, and very good.  There was one other time I got to craving a burger, fries and a coke, so I went to the neighborhood imbiss, a block or two from the hotel.  I ordered the burger mit kase, fries, and a Coke, which came in a can.  I sat down while the food was prepared.  I read the Coke can while I waited.  It described (in German, of course) a "BBQ Burger Brooklyn" on the side.  It basically said to make a cheeseburger, put mayo on top with pickle.  Okay.  The woman behind the counter brought out a nice looking cheeseburger, with about a cup of mayo and a big whole pickle on top, under the bun.  I had to scrape off 99% of the mayo and put the pickle on the side, but it was a very good cheeseburger.  The fries were great--Germans know how to cook potatoes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Do they still use horse meat in their burgers?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why the fuck would you eat at a McD's in a country that is renowned for it's cooking?
View Quote
Curiosity.  One of many ways of experiencing another culture is how they adapt to and change yours.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do the same.  I always volunteered to to grocery runs when I summered in Sweden. The best way to experience other cultures is to go out and rub elbows with the natives. Love me some Toppen grocery stores
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Burger Quick next time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#45]
When i was in Ukraine a year and a half ago.  There were only three American restaurant chains

McDonalds - Tasted exactly like McDonald's here
KFC - Tasted exactly like KFC here but the menu was smaller
Dominos - Tasted nasty as hell....but it was still the best pizza in that fucking country

We had been in the country for about a week and we had a hard time ordering anything because no one spoke English and the none of the menus had English translation. You basically had to order by picture.

I remember walking in to the McDonalds in Freedom Square in Kiev.  We were about to try to order from the menus on the wall when the teenager behind the cash register asked if we were American.  We said Yes and he began taking our order in nearly perfect English.  He was the first person we met in the country that wasn't affiliated with our adoption facilitators that spoke English....and he spoke better than any of the people we were working with.

...and there he was...slinging cheeseburgers at a McDonalds

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Do they still use horse meat in their burgers?
View Quote
I have eaten horse (I found out after the fact). It tasted like venison. The burger tasted as much like beef as I remember the last quarter pounder I ate did.

My preferred fast food burger is Smashburger or Freddy’s. I don’t eat McDonald’s very often.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have eaten horse (I found out after the fact). It tasted like venison. The burger tasted as much like beef as I remember the last quarter pounder I ate did.

My preferred fast food burger is Smashburger or Freddy’s. I don’t eat McDonald’s very often.
View Quote
French beef used to be terrible, because once it was the law that it had to be sold within 48 hours of slaughtering. I don’t know when or if the law changed, but I remember the burgers being particularly bad in 1982.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was it stringy and tough? A buddy of mine says he had horse once and that was his recollection.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Was it stringy and tough? A buddy of mine says he had horse once and that was his recollection.
View Quote
I had it as schnitzel/chicken fried steak. It wasn’t that different from venison prepared the same way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top