Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Watchmen, Watchmen: Ultimate cut, Watchmen(directors cut), all on amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The Dark Knight
The Winter Soldier
The Watchmen

For live action at least. The actual best Superhero movie?

The Incredibles. Everything the Fantastic Four should have been in any iteration.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The affluent couple being saved from a robbery is supposed to be the Waynes, ie batmans parents. No dead Waynes= No Batman.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The opening showing the timeline is excellent.
The affluent couple being saved from a robbery is supposed to be the Waynes, ie batmans parents. No dead Waynes= No Batman.
Did not know that was Bruce Wayne's parents. That is really cool Easter egg.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Dark Knight
The Winter Soldier
The Watchmen

For live action at least. The actual best Superhero movie?

The Incredibles. Everything the Fantastic Four should have been in any iteration.
View Quote
I'm surprised how many people keep saying Winter Soldier is the or near to being their favorite Superhero movie. I love that movie. I still think I like Thor: Dark World alittle more, but it's a close call for favorite serious-ish Marvel movie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Incredibles.
View Quote
Great movie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Space Sex is best sex
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Space Sex is best sex
View Quote
Confirmed. I was there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it just me or does Rorschach look like Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story?
View Quote
He looks just like that dude from Bad News Bears and Breaking Away.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm surprised how many people keep saying Winter Soldier is the or near to being their favorite Superhero movie. I love that movie.
View Quote
One thing Winter Soldier had in it that not too many such movies do was the active (albeit fruitless) individual stands taken by the 'rank and file' at SHIELD when the plot is unmasked and the choices are laid out for them.  The cost of standing is laid out, and is paid by those whose contributions would never be known.  Not something often seen in such movies.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Green light was given for watchmen on HBO but it's taking place "in the age of trump and putin".
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recently rewatched it too. Damn good.

No mention of this one? It's in my top 5:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuuXSYjDX-aEB2OQgSifaDL0oRqscL6e44hIf0GSccPniOxFZS

(I know he's not a super hero, but it's a comic so wahteva)
View Quote
Comic book based, but Dredd is not a "super-hero".  Like Batman.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With Spider-Man 2(TM one) not far behind.

The music, the visuals, the story, the acting, all amazing.

Rorschach  is the best hero.

The ultimate cut is on Amazon prime. Go watch it.
View Quote
I concur
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Super cool movie.  Very unique.  I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep.

No one yet?

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nah. The villain's motivations were particularly dumb. I could never take it seriously.
View Quote
Because the main story is a ripoff of an episode of The Outer Limits and the characters are half-ass copies of the Charlton Comics heroes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Green light was given for watchmen on HBO but it's taking place "in the age of trump and putin".
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because the main story is a ripoff of an episode of The Outer Limits and the characters are half-ass copies of the Charlton Comics heroes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#18]
So, where was I wrong? Are the characters and main plot not somehow plagiarized from Charlton and the Outer Limits? Or are you simply a fan of the music video director that brought us great classics like Sucker Punch and Batman vs Superman?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I thought they were "anti-heroes," like Yojimbo, Dirty Harry & "The Man with No Name" in the Clint Eastwood moviesin for themselves.
View Quote
for me it was kind of this, not heros, but maybe tragic heros....I dont know, but I did love the line " I am not in here with you, your in here with me."
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
this, this all day and twice on Sundays!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#23]
[Adjusts monocle]

Watchmen isn't a superhero movie - it's the deconstruction of a superhero movie.

Look at Rorschach - many people's favorite character in the comics / movie.  He's supposed to be an extreme example of someone's like Batman's psyche - a character that will always do the "right thing" no matter what the consequences.  No compromises - ever.  I think you're supposed to look at his character and realize that the end result of such a moral code is a raving fucking psychopath who couldn't function in society at all- but I think many people miss that...

Probably because Moore wrote him with too many cool lines - "I'm not locked in here with you..."

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[Adjusts monocle]

Watchmen isn't a superhero movie - it's the deconstruction of a superhero movie.

Look at Rorschach - many people's favorite character in the comics / movie.  He's supposed to be an extreme example of someone's like Batman's psyche - a character that will always do the "right thing" no matter what the consequences.  No compromises - ever.  I think you're supposed to look at his character and realize that the end result of such a moral code is a raving fucking psychopath who couldn't function in society at all- but I think many people miss that...

Probably because Moore wrote him with too many cool lines - "I'm not locked in here with you..."

My $0.02.
View Quote
He is one of he best characters ever, not just from the comic world.

The casting in the movie for him was perfect. The way Haley moved, looked, fought.

Hell that scene where he’s eating the cold beans with his mask half up was identical to the GN drawing

In fact most of the casting was good.

The director did an amazing job of bring the GN to the screen.

Yeah, him and the comedian both had great lines.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The casting in the movie for him was perfect. The way Haley moved, looked, fought.

Hell that scene where he’s eating the cold beans with his mask half up was identical to the GN drawing

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Adjusts monocle]

My $0.02.

Agreed.

I guess my comment was more about people's reaction to the character, than the character himself - if that makes sense...
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I didn't realize Watchman is on Amazon Prime. I have not watched it in years. Watching again I am even more convinced it's an annoying dystopian movie based on a comic by an annoying antifa anarchist. Hero is a rapist, hero dies with cape caught in door, hero ends up in mental institute, heroine is a bitter old drunk who looks fondly on her rapist, hero gives his loved one's cancer with his super power, hero didn't know his parents, hero fights crime because his mom was a whore, etc

It's a great movie but still a very left and kind of anti American movie
View Quote
You have your characters mixed up. The comedian is not the hero. Rorsach is. He just failed to save the world.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are Batman posters on the wall behind Night Owl and the robber.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So, where was I wrong? Are the characters and main plot not somehow plagiarized from Charlton and the Outer Limits? Or are you simply a fan of the music video director that brought us great classics like Sucker Punch and Batman vs Superman?
View Quote
No clue about any of that.  Just liked the movie.

Most stories and characters have been done in some way in the past.  Every super hero movie is some form of the classic "hero" story which is probably hundreds of years old.  We don't consider every new one a rip off of the last one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never caught that. Cool.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I never caught that. Cool.
View Quote
I am the most uber cool movie expert EVER.

Or, I just watched the intro on youtube...
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#32]
The Night Owl got Dr. Manhattan's sloppy seconds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Space Sex is best sex
View Quote
That scene was cringeworthy and horrible
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I didn't realize Watchman is on Amazon Prime. I have not watched it in years. Watching again I am even more convinced it's an annoying dystopian movie based on a comic by an annoying antifa anarchist. Hero is a rapist, hero dies with cape caught in door, hero ends up in mental institute, heroine is a bitter old drunk who looks fondly on her rapist, hero gives his loved one's cancer with his super power, hero didn't know his parents, hero fights crime because his mom was a whore, etc

View Quote
Dr. Manhattan did not cause the cancer of his former colleagues. Adrian Veight poisoned them, resulting in their cancers. Also Silk Spectre II did not know HER true father.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I remember correctly Manhattan didn’t give his loved ones cancer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
[Adjusts monocle]

My $0.02.
View Quote
Moore hated that people loved Rorschach, but I always thought that it was a great example of a character transcending the intentions of the author.  I think people found the character to be cathartic in the way that many vigilantes are, acting as a sort of power fantasy for people disgusted by the moral weakness with which we seem to handle serious criminals.  Even if he was an obvious psychopath who could never be a functional member of society, he focused his rage on criminals exclusively and served as the "rough man who stands ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."  He doesn't need to be a part of society to fill that role.

If Moore had really wanted his audience to dislike Rorschach in the same way he did, he would have had him steamroll even innocent people who got in his way.  At the end of the day, nobody is really going to get too bent out of shape by somebody busting up and killing criminals.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#37]
It's been a while since I saw the movie or read the book, but what's the point of Dr. Manhattan?  He basically had near god-like power, so why was he taking order from anybody, much less US government.  He certainly wouldn't need Ozymandias' cockamamie scheme to achieve world peace if he so desired.  How was he even part of this glorified Village People, anyway?

Or did Alan Moore just feel like mixing in a large blue penis?

Like I said, it's been a while.  I've probably forgotten a lot of details.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you were composed solely of energy, would you ejaculate photons?

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Watched it for the first time last night. I liked it. Of the "heros", the smartest justified mass murder in the name of humanity, the most powerful was almost completely disconnected from the reality around him. The females were, well, lets say a bit promiscuous. The timid hid behind tech (redeemed himself at the end). But the true hero, the one who stood behind his beliefs. All he had to do was deny them once and he would live, was the "psychopath".
There was a very poignant lesson on morality here.

But then again it was just a movie...
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
With Spider-Man 2(TM one) not far behind.

The music, the visuals, the story, the acting, all amazing.

Rorschach  is the best hero.

The ultimate cut is on Amazon prime. Go watch it.
View Quote
LOL that movie was garbage.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You have your characters mixed up. The comedian is not the hero. Rorsach is. He just failed to save the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Dr manhattan didn't give anyone cancer. He was forced to think he did.

That's the point. These are seriously flawed individuals. I'm not getting the anti American angle.

"Edward Blake, The Comedian, born 1918, buried in the rain. Murdered. Is that what happens to us? No time for friends? Only our enemies leave roses. Violent lives ending violently. Blake understood. Humans are savage in nature. No matter how much you try to dress it up, to disguise it. Blake saw society's true face. Chose to be a parody of it, a joke. I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor, says he's depressed. Life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. The great clown, Pagliacci, is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up". Man bursts into tears. "But doctor", he says, "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains."
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dr. Manhattan did not cause the cancer of his former colleagues. Adrian Veight poisoned them, resulting in their cancers. Also Silk Spectre II did not know HER true father.
View Quote
She found out in the end.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's been a while since I saw the movie or read the book, but what's the point of Dr. Manhattan?  He basically had near god-like power, so why was he taking order from anybody, much less US government.  He certainly wouldn't need Ozymandias' cockamamie scheme to achieve world peace if he so desired.  How was he even part of this glorified Village People, anyway?

View Quote
It was kind of explained.

He did become every increasingly detached from humanity. He pretty much stopped caring about people.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
She found out in the end.
View Quote
Yup. I was just correcting the Penguin, who typed "hero didn't know his parents"
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sign in the background says “Gotham Opera House”, and batman posters.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Gotta say the Punisher with Thomas Jane is very high up there.

And I am very curious to see the up and coming Venom
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe some of it was he had the ability to see multiple futures, and the futures are not exact or clear. All of the futures, even with him trying to stop it, led to mankind destroying itself. He couldn’t just make world peace even with godlike powers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The original is an anti Reagan/screed written by an anarchist who also write v for vendetta as
an anti thatcher bitchfest

look for a giant naked blue Hillary
View Quote
If we’re lucky.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
iIRC

He got multiple  bukkake dr manhattans sloppy seconds
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#50]
It is an awesome movie
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top