Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Smokey Mountain Knife Works (in store, I don't think these are on the website at all) had a bunch of the Hogue/ Sig Sauer autos on closeout yesterday at $150 a pop.  I ended up getting an EX-A01 Tanto for $160 after tax.

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
No complaints on my HK benchmade. Has to be going on 3-4 years carring everyday. Mostly a box cutter.

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smokey Mountain Knife Works (in store, I don't think these are on the website at all) had a bunch of the Hogue/ Sig Sauer autos on closeout yesterday at $150 a pop.  I ended up getting an EX-A01 Tanto for $160 after tax.

http://i64.tinypic.com/21mhn5z.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/nc1npw.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/732fc3.jpg
View Quote
that's not an OTF knife.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've been collecting Microtech since 1997, and I've never had an issue with their customer service. They even throw in free stuff.

Unless the knives you have are long out of production and they just don't have parts for them anymore, I have a real hard time believing you.

But relevant to the thread:
Here is a shitty video comparison/review I did of a fake Cypher vs. a genuine. My first & only youtube video, so forgive my  lack of skills & crap narration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEo7UnSxx5A
View Quote
As I detailed earlier, they also would not service my Daytona, which was in production at the time. The only thing wrong with it was a broken mainspring.

I was told that they would "get back to me" after the Blade Show both by email and automatic message by telephone... several weeks after that year's show had ended. Other times I was just placed on hold for extremely long periods.

MT has shit CS. Fucking awful CS. Some of the worst ever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is the most expensive website I've ever been a member of.
View Quote
Whatever you do, don't wander over to the Night Vision or Destructive Devices subforums.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of Benchmade Infidels. They are both double edged satin D2. D2 holds an
edge like mad but must be kept oiled. I like them. I think the Microtech is stronger but I
don't care for the company. I live not too far from them. Asheville Steel or Paragon makes
nice stuff. They are cool and I have a mini-Cobra automatic they built. It has a Harold Corby hand ground
signed blade. It is an auto folder and is very snappy. It is very well made...I recommend them highly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys ordering on DHgate - are you not worried about Ordering from outside the US? I thought that was verboten.

Also, are you having to pay duty or are these just being delivered like any other mail?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had a few, say around 10 or so.  I sold off the ones that I found were not up to snuff.  The two I have left are the Microtech Ultratech Tanto and a Benchmade Infidel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I detailed earlier, they also would not service my Daytona, which was in production at the time. The only thing wrong with it was a broken mainspring.

I was told that they would "get back to me" after the Blade Show both by email and automatic message by telephone... several weeks after that year's show had ended. Other times I was just placed on hold for extremely long periods.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been collecting Microtech since 1997, and I've never had an issue with their customer service. They even throw in free stuff.

Unless the knives you have are long out of production and they just don't have parts for them anymore, I have a real hard time believing you.

But relevant to the thread:
Here is a shitty video comparison/review I did of a fake Cypher vs. a genuine. My first & only youtube video, so forgive my  lack of skills & crap narration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEo7UnSxx5A

I have never had an issue with them in 21 years. The longest turn around time was 3 weeks, and they gave me a patch & stickers.
They sell 70k knives a year now, but I did hear they hired more people for CS after Blade this year. Marfione is a special kind of dick, but his OTF designs are far superior to any other production OTF, and OTFs are my favorite.

Use this link for returns & repairs. When you get your RA number, put it on the box on all sides, inside the box, and on a post it or a rubber banded piece of paper or sticker and send it in. I do that to make sure there is no room for error.
https://www.microtechknives.com/warranty-repair/

If you have trouble in the future, there are a bunch of Microtech collector's groups that can help regardless. The spring in the Daytona is a really easy fix, it sucks you sold it at a loss over such a cheap easy part. Spring replacement is probably the thing they do most, I have never heard of them refusing to do that before. But there are a ton of collectors that will do it too. I wouldn't have even charged you. I think when I picked up springs, they were a dollar.

Btw, opening it does not void the warranty, nor does sharpening (they can't tell if youve opened it) unless you do what they are trying to prevent by stating that; namely sending them a bag of parts you've lost several of trying to fix your knife, or a blade you mangled with your electric can openers grinder.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That guy might be reselling them for $200.

But they're only $48 direct from the source.  You can get them with Microtech logos, or without logos like the "$200" ones in that Instagram video

https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#s1-2-1;searl|0914661969
https://www.dhresource.com/600x600/f2/albu/g7/M00/0E/25/rBVaSVs8fjKATQraAAUP9SMOu9g558.jpg
View Quote
Nah, there are varying degrees of quality in the fakes, too. These guys carry/make the best quality fakes. https://m.aliexpress.com/store/activities/seller/storeHomeFromAms.htm?storeNo=1908261&sellerAdminSeq=225384570#/ Usually they start out with them, then lesser ones start appearing with other sellers.

[

You can get anything from total junk, to 90% Microtech quality. I keep a fake Scarab in my toolbox in the trunk.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Sorry, but I'm not spending $300 on a knife...

Got this Titan OTF for $30.
Right after WI allowed them. I use it every day to cut stuff at work... Works great...

I got it originally to check out OTF's to see if I wanted a good one. And this one has been great...
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.bladeops.com/Benchmade-H-K-Tumult-OTF-Knife-Tactical-Black-Pl-p/ben14800bk.htm

HK OTF made by Benchmade. Great knife! My daily carry.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I've checked this thread every few hours since it started. I've currently got $150 worth of knives in my dhgate cart. Can't justify the cost of the Vespas, but I think I can do $50 on two different gens of Halo and a Trodon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've checked this thread every few hours since it started. I've currently got $150 worth of knives in my dhgate cart. Can't justify the cost of the Vespas, but I think I can do $50 on two different gens of Halo and a Trodon.
View Quote
lemme know if you can make that damn website work, I couldn't complete any orders on it
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
tried again and rolled the dice, one each with Aliexpress and DHgate. I used a different network and no troubles, but we'll see in 30-60 days if anything shows up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You guys ordering on DHgate - are you not worried about Ordering from outside the US? I thought that was verboten.

Also, are you having to pay duty or are these just being delivered like any other mail?
View Quote
Show up in your mailbox with all your other mail.  Sometimes they even have warehouses in the U.S. that product ships from.  I've received some items from aliexpress in USPS boxes with a return address from Kentucky iirc?  I've started seeing alibaba trucks driving around here more often, they're really working on building up their presence in the U.S.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
lemme know if you can make that damn website work, I couldn't complete any orders on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered mine a few days ago without any site issues.  Already got a shipment notice from dhgate....still waiting for my Lightning to ship from a US vendor

My experience wiyh ordering from China is good. I bought 2 chinese Stihl clone chainsaw parts kits and they were delivered right to my door.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been wanting to get a Microtech, gotta settle on a model
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Benchmade Infidel that got slow to open and close and I tried fixing it. I made it worse! Now it’s all in a bag waiting for time to fix it

I really want a Halo V!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Post 9999 says

....a gun
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:10:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Makora II clone off of DH gate for shits and grins a while back (the seller was “chinahighendedc”).  I have a real “Socom Elite” I bought in NYC during 9/11, but I‘ve babied it over the years and wanted something to use for edc.

So far the chinese clone is holding up just groovy, and I’m very happy for the $57 I paid.  I was going to order a batch for the guys at work, but the seller was out when I went back to order more.  I’ve been too chicken to make a bulk order when I know quality might vary widely.  I don’t want to order 10 of them and then have bad luck and get crappy ones.lol  I decided to let them risk it themselves one at a time.

Mine has nice grinds, not much play, carbide glass breaker, etc.  No zinc junk.  Winner for my purposes.

Fake Makora II above real Socom for scale.
Attachment Attached File

Came with the tool and a cheap nylon pouch.
Attachment Attached File

Ball type carbide breaker
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The only nit I could pick at all would be a tiny gap in the carbon fiber inlay (visible in the top pic beside the switch on top).  For what I got vs. what I paid, I’m quite happy.  Fires and locks up great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Lightning ordered from grindworx came in today. $35.

Fires fine, isn't gritty, pretty smooth fire and return. Quality is to be expected for a 35$ knife.

The blade is dull as fuck. But that is easily fixed. When the blade is out and locked, the knife has some rattle noise coming from the firing switch and the blade moves very very slightly side to side when shaken. Doesn't rattle with the blade closed

We will see how it holds up, but for $35 I'll use it for a novelty box cutter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nah, there are varying degrees of quality in the fakes, too. These guys carry/make the best quality fakes. https://m.aliexpress.com/store/activities/seller/storeHomeFromAms.htm?storeNo=1908261&sellerAdminSeq=225384570#/ Usually they start out with them, then lesser ones start appearing with other sellers.
You can get anything from total junk, to 90% Microtech quality. I keep a fake Scarab in my toolbox in the trunk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy might be reselling them for $200.

But they're only $48 direct from the source.  You can get them with Microtech logos, or without logos like the "$200" ones in that Instagram video

https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#s1-2-1;searl|0914661969
https://www.dhresource.com/600x600/f2/albu/g7/M00/0E/25/rBVaSVs8fjKATQraAAUP9SMOu9g558.jpg
VESPA to Microtech is the kind of quality that Alvarez-Yairi did to Gibson guitars back in the 70's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Let's say a guy wanted to drop no more than $75 on a knock-off OTF auto, what would be the Tier 1 of knock-offs (in that price range)? It looks like DH and Aliexpress are both selling the Halo KO, which is better to buy from? Asking for a friend.

ETA: Is that a double-action knife?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let's say a guy wanted to drop no more than $75 on a knock-off OTF auto, what would be the Tier 1 of knock-offs (in that price range)? It looks like DH and Aliexpress are both selling the Halo KO, which is better to buy from? Asking for a friend.

ETA: Is that a double-action knife?
View Quote
Single
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my lightning tanto otf from perry knife works.  Actually really impressed.  Feel very solid, I've fired it over a thousand times and it's like a top.  For $34 shipped you can't go wrong.  Mine actually came shaving sharp as well, maybe I got lucky?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got my lightning tanto otf from perry knife works.  Actually really impressed.  Feel very solid, I've fired it over a thousand times and it's like a top.  For $34 shipped you can't go wrong.  Mine actually came shaving sharp as well, maybe I got lucky?
View Quote
I've bought 4 of them so far.  They all came fairly sharp.  I carried my first lightning for about 4 years before I lost it.  You get what you pay for with them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
doing similar shopping now, and I've owned a benchmade/HK, 2 microtechs, and currently carry a protech. Getting a Combat Troodon when I find one I like.
View Quote
Any hk in stock?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Go to the lightning website and sign up for their email list.  Be patient, and you will get a coupon code for lightning knives for 25 bucks shipped.
View Quote
Any trick to this as I've tried it, but it seems not to work for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If I'm paying that much for a knife, I expect better steel than 440c.
View Quote
Got one since local to go with Microtech. It shit out after a few months. Used it for opening boxes during a move. Stopped working reliably. Dropped off(their show room is 45min away) still doesn’t work well. At that price go with a folder or save for a good quality one. Raven is shit, trust me I have a non-working one. They look cool, so I guess it’s not a bad paper weight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
For lightningotfknives.com use code LT25

I used it 2 nights ago and it worked.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Plenty of haters, but one more vote for Microtech. Combat Troodon specifically.  Been carrying one every day for the past few years with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put in my email address last night, and haven't got a promo code.
But I just placed an order using the LT25, and got the confirmation e-mail right away.
25 bucks shipped for single edge, dual action. auto.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
But I just placed an order using the LT25, and got the confirmation e-mail right away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just gave me this

""Unable to find a valid discount matching the code entered""
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ve had a lightning for a couple of months. I love it for the price
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#36]
All the suggestions of garbage China knockoffs is disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are these OTF knives combat worthy?
View Quote
Four words...disabled by a dime.

I like my Benchmade Infidel, but it’s been named up twice by pocket change when I wasn’t paying attention to what else was in my pocket. Something to keep in mind that’s all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go cry.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have, however, had my card info stolen after ordering from popular U.S. based firearms industry sites, some of which are promoted site sponsors here.
View Quote
BTDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know how someone always says "go be poor somewhere else" ?
Well here we are...
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to the lightning website and sign up for their email list.  Be patient, and you will get a coupon code for lightning knives for 25 bucks shipped.
IM sent
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well here we are...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well here we are...
I have one real Microtech, and I’d buy another one if their prices weren’t rediculous.  But I’m not paying 4-5 hundred dollars for a pocket amusement knife for everyday cutting.

If they were priced at half that I’d fo, but they aren’t so screw ‘em.  I prefer American but I’m not retarded.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just gave me this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just gave me this

Try TT25
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ordered one yesterday
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I like my Microtech Ultratech.

I also have a Lightening and it is a decent knife for the money.  For EDC its not too bad and if I lose it I'm not out too much money.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I like my Microtech Ultratech.

I also have a Lightening and it is a decent knife for the money.  For EDC its not too bad and if I lose it I'm not out too much money.
View Quote
I like the Lightning for what I paid for it, but it's pretty heavy/boxy for EDC for me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I want an OTF, but dang, I didn't realize how expensive Microtechs are.

Lightning here i come.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have one real Microtech, and I’d buy another one if their prices weren’t rediculous.  But I’m not paying 4-5 hundred dollars for a pocket amusement knife for everyday cutting.

If they were priced at half that I’d fo, but they aren’t so screw ‘em.  I prefer American but I’m not retarded.
View Quote
Yeah, I love my EDC ultratech despite thinking microtech is a scum company. But it's very practical. I really like double action otfs and for box cutting and other chores that don't require a lot of force, they are super handy. For people crying about not being able to baton with an otf or not using it as a survival knife you're missing the point.

I would never spend $500-700 for a real halo or other single action otf, because it's a toy, and not a very useful or good one at that.

Plus, it's not like microtech hasn't ripped off designs. Knife manufacturer drama makes suppressor companies look civilized.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I get an email from lightning about every 2 weeks.  They have coupon codes.  I got the last 2 for 25 bucks each with free shipping.
View Quote
Who do you get the emails from?
I'd like to get me some of that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My buddy from work has been run around by Benchmade when he sent in his Infadel in for some work

Even though OTF blades are legal in Michigan now, he still has not gotten his blade back from them and it's been about 6 months now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.benchmade.com/infidel-family.html

Benchmade Infidel if you want to lay out some dough.
My buddy from work has been run around by Benchmade when he sent in his Infadel in for some work

Even though OTF blades are legal in Michigan now, he still has not gotten his blade back from them and it's been about 6 months now
They outright tell you that you won’t get your knife back if you directly send in an auto knife. It’s supposed to be sent in for service by a Benchmade dealer. It’s a dumb rule, but it’s not a secret.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top