User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doesn't beat an aliexpress knockoff Microtech with D2 steel for 30 bucks

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1piqjesUrBKNjSZPxq6x00pXah/BENYS-Microtech-Camo-A07-Troodon-Scarab-Fixed-Blade-Knife.jpg
View Quote
My resolve to not order knockoffs from Ali Express is weakening.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is it really D2? Hard to believe even coming from China
View Quote
I'm one of the guys that has always been satisfied with a $30 or cheaper knife.
Current carry knives are an Ontario Rat 1, Opinel, Kershaw Vapor, and various Old Timers.
Anyway, where can I get one of these, or a Lightning for a decent price and shipping time?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Best double action OTF knife out there right now is from Burn Knives.
A Burn "Razor" OTF will out perform a Microtech OTF in just about every way.
.160" thick blade with powerful launch, rock solid lockup and zero blade play.
This knife is as close to the legendary DKW "Sandshark" as you can get.
Starting price is $900 and most variants are about $1300

Overall Length: 10"
Blade Length: 4"
Blade Material: ATS-34
Blade Thickness: 0.160"
Handle Material: 7075 Aluminum
Weight: 5 oz
Closed Length: 6"
Knife Category: Automatic
Action: Dual Action Out The Front (OTF)
Blade Style: Double Edge (D/E)
Country of Origin: USA
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are interested in the Lightning OTF knives, sign up for their mailing list.  About once a month, I get an email from them with a coupon code worth about 10 bucks off on a knife.  That puts your OTF knife at 25 bucks and they pay the shipping.  At that price you can get stabby, and leave it in someone.

Here's a link:  Link  Go to the mailing list tab on the right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.benchmade.com/infidel-family.html

Benchmade Infidel if you want to lay out some dough.
View Quote
My buddy from work has been run around by Benchmade when he sent in his Infadel in for some work

Even though OTF blades are legal in Michigan now, he still has not gotten his blade back from them and it's been about 6 months now
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Love my Troodon, had it for years, but if you get one, do yourself a favor and get the screwdriver bit to be able to open it yourself.  With enough pocket carry you'll get lint and the like in there, and it will not lock open after a while until you open it and clean it.  https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Small-Flat-Tri-Wing-Tool--8161

Had the spring break on mine early, and had to send it back to get fixed, but since then and getting the bit, I've had no issues.  Perfect size for EDC (not the combat sized one) in my mind.

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote Microtech ...
I actually have 4 of them.
And it John Wick approved !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My buddy from work has been run around by Benchmade when he sent in his Infadel in for some work

Even though OTF blades are legal in Michigan now, he still has not gotten his blade back from them and it's been about 6 months now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Single edge only blades are MI legal unless you are Leo or military.  Does your buddy have a dagger blade infidel?  They discontinued the single blade Infidel a while ago.  Might be the problem.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a Benchmade because I don't want to support Microtechs design thievery.
The blatent copy of the ZT 0777 was inexcusable.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got a Benchmade because I don't want to support Microtechs design thievery.
The blatent copy of the ZT 0777 was inexcusable.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137867/WaVoS-600x300-634142.JPG
View Quote
Edccommentary said something similar and Tony took them to court for slander. They had to post a groveling apology on their page.

I refuse to buy Microtech anything, and saying anything bad about them on the web is pretty risky IMO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Considering Microtech's history with CS and the owner's very shady business dealings and his son's behavior, well, nope. Check Paragon Ashville Steele, they make good stuff.
Also, I spoke to the owner of Ashville Steel for quite a while, awesome guy, totally invested in the industry and their knives have a life time guarantee. So, with Microtech, if you want to dissemble their knife you have to buy their special tool for their special screws and that will void the warranty.

Some guys carried their Mircotech's to the sand box and had them lock up due to the moon dust, well dust. Want to take it apart to clean it, well you don't have the special tool and if you did your warranty would be voided.

Ashville Steel, if you dissemble their knife no problem, having a problem getting it back together, the owner will talk you thru the process, still having a issue, send it in and they will put it back together for you no charge. They are a great company who support their customers.

Clip point blade did you say? video

As an experiment I bought a $30 Microtech copy from China, it is junk, zinc handles (heavy) and the springs broke pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it really D2? Hard to believe even coming from China
View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised, tool steel is cheap over there.
For example, I have a lot of casting dies built in China and in the US, and Bohler H13 over there is ~40% cheaper than here.

But yeah, that $30 knife is a fixed blade...
this one, on the other hand...
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are these OTF knives combat worthy?
View Quote
A lot of people would say "no".
If you were trying to open the blade of an OTF against a person's body, it would jam and not lock in place.
It is very easy to keep most OTFs from locking open.

So....
YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm one of the guys that has always been satisfied with a $30 or cheaper knife.
Current carry knives are an Ontario Rat 1, Opinel, Kershaw Vapor, and various Old Timers.
Anyway, where can I get one of these, or a Lightning for a decent price and shipping time?
View Quote
bladeplay.com

bladehq.com

They tend to come and go on availability, but both are solid and have me as a satisfied customer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's surprising. I was under the impression that they did a good job on mail-in/ shipped service.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's surprising. I was under the impression that they did a good job on mail-in/ shipped service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he send it direct? I'm not Mil or LEO. I took my Benchmade Auto Presidio to Sportsmans Warehouse and had them ship it to BM. I got it back in less than a month with the guts replaced. I didn't even buy it at Sportsmans but they were cool with helping me out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
These Chinese knock-offs look very solid.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Blkbiu6H0py/?taken-by=chinahigh_endedc

Heretic Knives seem to be a high quality alternative to Microtech.
http://www.hereticknives.com/manticore-x--da-otf.html
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been following this thread in looking at a lot of the knives.

A few are single action and from watching videos it looks like they require two hands to retract.

One of the things I really like about my folding autos is the ability easily open and close them with one hand.

Is there any advantage to single action other than possibly simplicity or price?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to be a fan of Microtech until I tried to get one of their knives serviced and their customer service was completely useless, will never buy another Microtech. On the other hand, have always had good service from Benchmade.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is a cool $25 OTF knife that you can try to see if you like them.  Mine has held up well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
THIS is what I'd get if money were no object.  No movement in the blades when locked open.
View Quote
Agreed.
You've probably watched this vid. The mechanicals are fascinating.

Deadlock OTF
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised, tool steel is cheap over there.
For example, I have a lot of casting dies built in China and in the US, and Bohler H13 over there is ~40% cheaper than here.

But yeah, that $30 knife is a fixed blade...
this one, on the other hand...
Do y'all even aliexpress?  lol.  You have to read between the lines.  Sometimes the item listings are like Backpage hooker ads.

They don't make fake Microtech fantasy "fixed blades."  The description just *says* that because autos are "illegal."  That's the same reason the pics only show the backside and not the side the deployment button is on.

Trust me, what you receive is a real deal OTF.

The same way they call Michael Kors purses "trendy design famous maker MK" instead of explicitly spelling out m-i-c-h-a-e-l k-o-r-s.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I vote Microtech ...
I actually have 4 of them.
And it John Wick approved !

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158126/AFC0957F-F79A-48EB-A18A-6029CC58CD96-634138.JPG
View Quote
Jack Bauer used a Halo III

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]
No clue as to quality but I like this design.

Blade HQ D Rocket Zulu
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I smiled.

But it's $35 and I do like mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightning
I smiled.

Love my 3 I picked up for $20 a piece !!! Works everytime and not worried if I lose it
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do y'all even aliexpress?
View Quote
Not yet...
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 microtechs, 1 of which I pretty much daily carry.

Now just throwing a curve ball out there and will suggest a Microtech "stitch" auto.  Built like a tank, super solid lock up and looks pretty intimidating.  Its next on my list.

(not suggesting buying from these guys, just a link I found)

https://www.eknives.com/product/microtech-stitch-auto-borka-blades-sebastijan-berenji-apocalyptic-169-10ap/
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do y'all even aliexpress?  lol.  You have to read between the lines.  Sometimes the item listings are like Backpage hooker ads.

They don't make fake Microtech fantasy "fixed blades."  The description just *says* that because autos are "illegal."  That's the same reason the pics only show the backside and not the side the deployment button is on.

Trust me, what you receive is a real deal OTF.

The same way they call Michael Kors purses "trendy design famous maker MK" instead of explicitly spelling out m-i-c-h-a-e-l k-o-r-s.
View Quote
That site confuses me. Is it safe to order from?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That site confuses me. Is it safe to order from?
View Quote
I've never had a problem.  Their customer service is almost as good as Amazon and way better than eBay.  If an item doesn't arrive or isn't as described, file a claim and they refund your money.  Shipping usually takes 2-4 weeks, but I've received some orders within 1 week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
are these available anymore?  i would buy a a few more if i could find them...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightning
I smiled.

are these available anymore?  i would buy a a few more if i could find them...
I picked up one from them recently.

Link: https://www.directknifesales.com/lightning-black-d/a-otf-automatic-knife-plain-silver-blade.html

Here is the main site with all the Lightning knives. And go with a Taiwan made and not a China made.
https://www.directknifesales.com/out-the-front-knives/double-action/lightning-otf-knives.html?page=all

And like another poster said, sign up for their emails for a upcoming sale/discount price. You can pick one up for $20-$25.

Good Day Men
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought a Benchmade Phaeton but because of the laws here in IL I carry a Lightening. I wouldn't feel bad about losing a $35 knife.
View Quote
Just FYI autos are now legal in Illinois with a FOID card.  I didn't realize it either until my neighbor showed me his new Benchmade Infidel and I looked it up.  Rauner signed the auto ban repeal into law under the radar.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

optics planet sells to 5-0 and I believe mil also for a hundred less.
Us 3rd responders need not apply at any price
View Quote
Benchmade and microtech both have 30-50% off discount programs for LE, FF, EMS. Direct through their websites.

Benchmade has an online form, micro tech you have to email them and they’ll send you a price list and order form.

Benchmade is all knives they make, microtech has a short list but it’s good stuff.

@filthyphil
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Microtech Giant Halo 3X-- Huge OTF Knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jPlq6oZVQ
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1piqjesUrBKNjSZPxq6x00pXah/BENYS-Microtech-Camo-A07-Troodon-Scarab-Fixed-Blade-Knife.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightning
This.

If you spend several hundred dollars on a OTF to keep in a box, more power to you.

If you want an inexpensive but useful OTF, get a lightning.

I have several, and they're quite good.

For the money they're unbeatable.

Do you have one?
If so, pros/cons of your experience?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Yesterday I met a man who was carrying a Benchmade Infidel.  He let me try it.  I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#37]
how does one do Aliexpress? I'm interested in a single action for shits and giggles but don't want to spend a fortune. Also not interested in having my card info stolen or whatever.

part of me feels bad buying a fake or copy. the other part of me thinks it would be cool.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Never had my card info stolen.

I have, however, had my card info stolen after ordering from popular U.S. based firearms industry sites, some of which are promoted here.

You can use one of those reloadable Visa gift cards, if you're worried.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Agreed.

Deadlock OTF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THIS is what I'd get if money were no object.  No movement in the blades when locked open.
Agreed.

Deadlock OTF
That thing is built like a Swiss safe

ETA: The price is way out of my league but damn that is a pretty knife.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Jalap-inya that Vespa knife looks cool, but it's $200! seems like if you're gonna hit triple digits, may as well go a bit further and get the real thing?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Well y’all sold me for a lightning for $35. Will see if it’s worth a shit
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just FYI autos are now legal in Illinois with a FOID card.  I didn't realize it either until my neighbor showed me his new Benchmade Infidel and I looked it up.  Rauner signed the auto ban repeal into law under the radar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a Benchmade Phaeton but because of the laws here in IL I carry a Lightening. I wouldn't feel bad about losing a $35 knife.
Just be careful, there are ~ dozen cities that prohibit them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#43]
So looking at my state law (MN) it looks like carrying one of these is a misdemeanor. I want one mainly because I open a lot of large boxes and one handed operation would be nice (I'm thinking mainly Lightning here, I lose knives rapidly.) How much of a jam up is it if you get caught with one of these? Is it something where if you're a solid citizen with no prior anything, carry permit, etc. they just take the knife or is it something zealously enforced? Just curious about the risk.

That said, I'm 45 and I've never been searched by the police so the odds of it being an issue are pretty slim.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#44]
This makes me lust after a Halo again
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well y’all sold me for a lightning for $35. Will see if it’s worth a shit
View Quote
I bought one yesterday too....figured for $35 why not.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Paragon?  Microtech?  There's a number of good ones.
View Quote
18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife as defined in § 18.2-307.1, or like weapons, such person is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I edc'd a Daytona for about three years until it broke. Microtech service is essentially nonexistent so I could not get it fixed. What broke was the mainspring, which I found after I bought a triwing bit and opened the knife up, voiding the warranty in the process. Which I didnt care about, because at that point I had been trying to utilize the warranty for weeks without success. Unfortunately I never found an appropriate replacement spring so I sold it for parts.

Later I got an ultratech from a dealer and have been edc'ing it for about 5 years. No problems other than a few weeks ago I chipped the tip, but that was my fault. You will have to clean an otf on occasion. I just hose down the inside with wd40, clean it off, and put a single drop of oil on the spine of the blade. I clean it maybe once every three months or so. You can tell when it's necessary because the firing force decreases. If you go too long the knife will fire "off the rails" and not fully deploy.

Overall I like them a lot but microtech is a shit company. I feel their OTF designs are nicer than the infidels.

There are a lot of fakes out there, but typically they are pretty obvious. Doesn't mean they aren't serviceable pocketknives either, but don't pay full price for a fake at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
link for $30? all closest i see is 58

ETA after a short search, item was located
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@Jalap-inya that Vespa knife looks cool, but it's $200! seems like if you're gonna hit triple digits, may as well go a bit further and get the real thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy might be reselling them for $200.

But they're only $48 direct from the source.  You can get them with Microtech logos, or without logos like the "$200" ones in that Instagram video

https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#s1-2-1;searl|0914661969
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#50]
OG Jack Bauer Microtech Halo

Bauer, Microtech & the average businessman
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top