Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@midcap

Watch this gif that was posted at wsb today for an explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/93yspy/dont_drink_too_much_of_the_bs_at_rwallstreetbets/
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I can tell you never ran the math.

let's say your goal is one million and your 3% number.

If you can't get a steady 8% in the last five years that's going to mess you up. for example in year 1 of the last five you would have 687,000 then with 8% per year compounding you'd end up right at 1,000,000 at year 5

Let's say you investments do shit in that 5 years. 0% return.

3% of 687,000 is $20,610 where as 3% of a million is 30,000, that's a 33% haircut because you underestimated the need for consistent returns.

This is just what I see daily, I don't deal with Bill Gates type folks.

I am just illustrating how all the articles you read and most of the stuff that's peddled out there is not as accurate as most people think.
View Quote
This is a gripe I have with projections.  It's all fine and well to assume a 8% return, but that is a 100% stock portfolio, and everyone says you shouldn't be 100% stocks close to retirement for obvious reasons.  But it's the last few years that the 8% is really working for you, not when you have $10,000 there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is a gripe I have with projections.  It's all fine and well to assume a 8% return, but that is a 100% stock portfolio, and everyone says you shouldn't be 100% stocks close to retirement for obvious reasons.  But it's the last few years that the 8% is really working for you, not when you have $10,000 there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you never ran the math.

let's say your goal is one million and your 3% number.

If you can't get a steady 8% in the last five years that's going to mess you up. for example in year 1 of the last five you would have 687,000 then with 8% per year compounding you'd end up right at 1,000,000 at year 5

Let's say you investments do shit in that 5 years. 0% return.

3% of 687,000 is $20,610 where as 3% of a million is 30,000, that's a 33% haircut because you underestimated the need for consistent returns.

This is just what I see daily, I don't deal with Bill Gates type folks.

I am just illustrating how all the articles you read and most of the stuff that's peddled out there is not as accurate as most people think.
There have been really good studies showing the outcomes of different allocations with regard to how long you have to actually use the money.

We are year 10 on the bull market, everyone is feeling good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There have been really good studies showing the outcomes of different allocations with regard to how long you have to actually use the money.

View Quote
I know people in their 60's sitting at a 90/10 risk allocation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

me too...which IMO your allocation should have little to do with age...more to do with macro themes...then you pair the risk sensitivity with what ever strategy you use.

It wasn't that long ago that the SP500 was paying more in dividends than the 10 year. let that sink in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I just received this email.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

me too...which IMO your allocation should have little to do with age...more to do with macro themes...then you pair the risk sensitivity with what ever strategy you use.

It wasn't that long ago that the SP500 was paying more in dividends than the 10 year. let that sink in.
View Quote
Exactly, using dividends as synthetic bonds.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Serious question. How do these index funds compare to others in terms of tracking and performance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which when you look at it, that is strictly prohibited in a markowitz portfolio, which is the vast majority of what firms use to set allocation.

For example, this year if you were in a mod fund, you had you ass handed to you. The historical deviation meant nothing this year, you ate it just like a 100% equity port.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Serious question. How do these index funds compare to others in terms of tracking and performance.
View Quote
aren't they new? I think it would be hard to tell just yet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doh. You’re right. Inception date yesterday. I’d hold off on putting a bunch of money into it until more is known about it. The zero fee is nice, but what’s in it.

At quick glance it looks like just another blended mutual fund. Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sort of. On lump sums, order of returns doesn't matter. But, sure, you'll have more contributions to the account near the end, and in that way, late returns will have a larger impact, but large returns aren't free nor are they guaranteed.

If you've got a 20+ year investment horizon, you're probably better off 100% equity, because repeated games are marvelous for yielding up average returns. In the short run, it's more likely that you deviate from the average, and thus the recommendation to switch to lower volatility allocations as you get nearer to retirement. Yes, the 8% would be nice in the last few years, but the problem is that the 8% is a long-run average, and in the short-run all kinds of crap can happen. Maybe you get 15-20% in those last few years. Maybe you lose 30%.

People don't think risk be like it is, but it do. Risk ignorance != risk tolerance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doh. You’re right. Inception date yesterday. I’d hold off on putting a bunch of money into it until more is known about it. The zero fee is nice, but what’s in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warren Buffett: “Price Is What You Pay, Value Is What You Get”  
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Why would I want to move my VFIFX over to fidelity? Vanguard is simple to use and my target retirement fund is easy enough to set it and forget it through them. Someone convince me otherwise. My fees are only .15%.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Verifying the correct ticker symbols, are these correct?

FSTMX - ~18% per year
FSIVX - A real stinker
View Quote
No, the new funds are FZROX and FXILX.

I doubt that either will outperform FUSVX (S&P 500 index) which has an expense ratio of .015%.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sort of. On lump sums, order of returns doesn't matter. But, sure, you'll have more contributions to the account near the end, and in that way, late returns will have a larger impact, but large returns aren't free nor are they guaranteed.

If you've got a 20+ year investment horizon, you're probably better off 100% equity, because repeated games are marvelous for yielding up average returns. In the short run, it's more likely that you deviate from the average, and thus the recommendation to switch to lower volatility allocations as you get nearer to retirement. Yes, the 8% would be nice in the last few years, but the problem is that the 8% is a long-run average, and in the short-run all kinds of crap can happen. Maybe you get 15-20% in those last few years. Maybe you lose 30%.

People don't think risk be like it is, but it do. Risk ignorance != risk tolerance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bring up very good points.

Here's the rub, because most of the books, data and theories are old.

2006 cash paid 4-5%, that's only 300 basis points off from your target of 8%, so in theory, you aren't giving up a whole lot in order to bring your deviation to + 4-5%, where as since ZIRP, going to cash gives you 0% effectively.

You used to be rewarded with some sort of rate going to low vol, but that hasn't been the case since 2008.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why would I want to move my VFIFX over to fidelity? Vanguard is simple to use and my target retirement fund is easy enough to set it and forget it through them. Someone convince me otherwise. My fees are only .15%.
View Quote
You don't want to save $1500 a year?
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I doubt that either will outperform FUSVX (S&P 500 index) which has an expense ratio of .015%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Verifying the correct ticker symbols, are these correct?

FSTMX - ~18% per year
FSIVX - A real stinker

Agree. This thing doesn’t look all that great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I don’t see any reason to put any money in this over Fidelity’s 500 index FUSVX. This fund has less holdings than that one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don’t see any reason to put any money in this over Fidelity’s 500 index FUSVX. This fund has less holdings than that one.
View Quote
how dare you research your decision instead of jumping on the free ride train!
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All 15 minutes of research led to nope!  Nope nope nope!  Do not want.

Then again I’m one of those weirdos that reads prospectuses.  And file every one that comes to me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then again I’m one of those weirdos that reads prospectuses.  And file every one that comes to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#24]
How’s that fund doing?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How’s that fund doing?
View Quote
either good, bad or ok I assume.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

either good, bad or ok I assume.
View Quote
That does seem to cover it, lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the question I came to ask.

I use FUSVX a lot.....  would it make sense to move that money?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t see any appeal unless you had some cash you wanted to put somewhere, understanding there’s risk of course.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And what is wrong with Fidelity? I mean Ill save the $4 and get awesome service, access to the Blackrock ETFs, good website and the rewards credit card...
View Quote
Fundamentally it has to do with how Vanguard is owned. It’s like a credit union. It’s owned by the people who invest in it.

I’m sure fidelity is fine.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top