Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2001 7:17:33 AM EDT
I was just curious about these "high end" AR's and what their differences are. Anyone know what makes these 3 companies AR's better or different from one another? I don't want a comparison between them and, say, Bushmaster or Colt. I'm simply curious as to the differences between these three companies, and what each does to an AR to make it "better" than the others. Or are the differences so slight that a comparison is a mute point?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Well..  compared to colt and bushmaster.. just kidding.  [:P]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I consider the AR industry to be an oligpolistic one in which product differentiation takes place in the minds of the buyers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I sort of agree, but there ARE differences.

For one, most "normal" AR's don't come with match triggers or free-floated barrels. Personally, I have owned or own Bushmasters and Colts, and have never had a reason to spend one nickle more than what I paid for them.

My question was based on the similar prices that these 3 makers charge. Their AR's are roughly the same price. I was wondering, for the money, how do they stack up, and what is the price increase based on, besides the names stamped on the receivers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned many an AR, and my Wilson Combat is by far the finest.  I didn't buy the whole gun from them, just the M4 upper, and built it onto a PWA lower I already had. (Wilson uses PWA lowers in their rifles.)  The barrel cuts are perfect, and I've never seen a cleaner job for a muzzle break.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I know Les Baer rifles come equpped with McFarland single gas rings on the bolt...
I had a bad experience with these in 2 of my "other" AR's.
It seems they don't handle the heat and abuse from constant rapid fire.
I put my old 3-piece gas rings back in the guns and they worked fine again.
The single rings only worked for about 180 rounds or so...

Just my   $.02
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a matter of some increased attention to detail in certain areas, addition of "bolt on" modification (Jewell triggers, Ti firing pins?) and useless "all the rage" features like chromed bolt/carrier on the Les Baers, and RAS on the KAS.

I doubt that the custom made forged components (KAS, Les Baer) have any significant impact on accuracy, just adds to the brag factor.

I also own a Wilson Combat upper; nice AND competitively priced.  I've handled the KAS, very nice, and good if you can get one for $1200 (price of average AR plus the RAS, 2-stage trigger and flip up rear sight).  Since they're trying to sell them for $1600, I'll take a pre-ban Colt instead.

Basically, they're the high end for those who want a little higher level of finish and a name they won't see on other's AR at the range.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Knight's SR-15 M4. I researched (and have owned) other brands for some time before purchasing this particular brand AR. Here's why I chose it:
1. As was already pointed out- RAS included. However "useless" is the last term I would use to describe this piece of gear.
2. Chrome bolt and carrier. Having cleaned many, many bolts and carriers after many, many rapid and full-auto strings, this looked good.
3. The BEST AR trigger available.
4. The upper and lower receiver are matched and drilled together at the factory. I have yet to see another brand of AR that felt as tight.
5. Upper receiver has M4 feedramp cutouts.
6. 300M rear sight included.
I was able to purchase mine new for about $1300. If you add up the cost of the accessories, and subtract that from the purchase price, I got it for less than the LEGP rifle. The only downside is the "mock" flash hider: I'm having this replaced with a Wilson Combat brake very soon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Oops, I have a RAS on one of my ARs and like it.  The useless was referencing chrome plating the bolt/carrier, and maybe not useless, but unnecessary.  Come on, you really like it cause it's cool looking.  Even the vendors warn about excessive wear potential in the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Doh! Yeah, there's that, too. Honestly, I could forego the plating on the carrier, but it is nice on the bolt (right around the gas rings/ groove, where the sh*t really builds up).
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
You're right about the Knights being a REALLY nice AR. AND....you're also right about their "mock" flash hider. What the hell was Knights thinking when a fantastic company like them decided to go with THAT idea? It's beyond stupid, but the rest of the rifle is beautiful.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1242673&a=9213640&p=43588462[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]
M4, yup... With all the options out there for post-ban brakes, it just seems unreasonable to do it this way. I had the opportunity to visit Knight's last month. After all the stuff I saw, held (fondled, drooled on, etc.), I forgot to ask why they chose this "accessory".
I looked at the Wilson Comabat AR's too. I'm not sure I get the reasoning behind that "raised scope mount" thing... Why not just a carry handle? Anyway, for close to (actually less) the same price, I thought the Knight's really was a good deal. And with all the other KAC "LEGO" parts to trick it out... I should be getting checks for sponsoring their product! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Curious....does anyone know whether Knight has a website and what it is?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
45nut,

It's here with a "few" more.  Enjoy.
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2494/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, Knight's Armament Company does NOT have a website. The website in the link above is owned by a "squatter" who registered the web address before the company (and is trying to get them to pay $400,000 for it). Said individual is however a Knight's Armament dealer (or at least use to be). FWIW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top