BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If i remember correctly i think it was the aussies or new zealanders who had some bolts and carriers fail. Also that thing is heav yyy
View Quote
Leave it to the Aussie to break shit.

Upside down gravity messing with their heads.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If i remember correctly i think it was the aussies or new zealanders who had some bolts and carriers fail. Also that thing is heav yyy
View Quote
If true, makes me wonder if or when the rare SR-25 BCG pops up on EE I should grab it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrett REC-10. No mo' needs said.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
SCAR 17 is nice, but the SR25 beats it in my book.

Its a DMR you can run like a Battle Rifle.

Ringing steel at 1k yds.

Been to a couple classes with it, but since Photobucket is still 'tarded about embedding, no pics for you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone arguing about specific comparisons for the SCAR vs X rifle under various scenarios means to me that it IS the best all-around battle rifle.

Comparing the SCAR to the SR 25 and the AR 10 and the AR15 in the same context only further demonstrates its multi-functional capability to match performance to so many different platforms.

Honestly, how many other specific guns are so vehemently to compared others platforms as an equal?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone arguing about specific comparisons for the SCAR vs X rifle under various scenarios means to me that it IS the best all-around battle rifle.

Comparing the SCAR to the SR 25 and the AR 10 and the AR15 in the same context only further demonstrates its multi-functional capability to match performance to so many different platforms.

Honestly, how many other specific guns are so vehemently to compared others platforms as an equal?
View Quote
From that perspective, you are comparing two SCARs, the 5.56 version and the 7.62 version.

The 7.62 ARs have multiple versions because of how the platform was introduced in the '90s. And that's a problem with the 7.62 ARs, but it is due to the legal and market conditions that applied.

The best thing the SCAR has going for it is perhaps the fact the AR10 market was disjointed, vs the SCAR as a single project by FN. The AR is the better DM rifle, but the 7.62 ARs have not developed the same reputation as the AR15 platform as a dependable service rifle, and this is due to the nature of their development.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From that perspective, you are comparing two SCARs, the 5.56 version and the 7.62 version.

The 7.62 ARs have multiple versions because of how the platform was introduced in the '90s. And that's a problem with the 7.62 ARs, but it is due to the legal and market conditions that applied.

The best thing the SCAR has going for it is perhaps the fact the AR10 market was disjointed, vs the SCAR as a single project by FN. The AR is the better DM rifle, but the 7.62 ARs have not developed the same reputation as the AR15 platform as a dependable service rifle, and this is due to the nature of their development.
View Quote
So given all the "disjointedness" in the AR market, can you not say the SCAR is the best all-around battle rifle?  When people compare it to the AR15, it tells me that they're also wanting to compare 7.62 to 5.56.  You get range and energy with 7.62 and get lightweight + ammo capacity with 5.56.  Each has a plus and minus.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are comparing the SCAR to other rifles because the fucking topic is about the SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are comparing the SCAR to other rifles because the fucking topic is about the SCAR.
View Quote
...and this thread is now 7 pages because people have made valid arguments as to why the SCAR IS comparable/better than other platforms.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More like 5K, it was about a grand for iron sights and accessories.

Of course, when going for the olympics, one must have a competitive world beating rifle. At the time that was the Anschutz 2013.

It vices at .16 MOA, what's your scar vice at? Be a shame if your fancy rifle can't outshoot a kids .22.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put that way, maybe it IS the best battle rifle?
Guy who spent 4k on a single shot 22 is calling the scar silly...lolol dude

Of course, when going for the olympics, one must have a competitive world beating rifle. At the time that was the Anschutz 2013.

It vices at .16 MOA, what's your scar vice at? Be a shame if your fancy rifle can't outshoot a kids .22.
I got it.  The SCAR is terrible because it's not as accurate as a top of the line bolt action match rifle.  

And you're an Olympic level athlete now?  Man, your online persona is impressive.

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...and this thread is now 7 pages because people have made valid arguments as to why the SCAR IS comparable/better than other platforms.
View Quote
No, they absolutely haven't, because the SCAR is built upon an obsolete doctrine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, they absolutely haven't, because the SCAR is built upon an obsolete doctrine.
View Quote
Yea us socom is really behind the times when it comes to equipment
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Eley ammo?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
USSOCOM also seems to drag SCAR-H out for photo ops and range days, and leave them in the arms room with their 87 zillion other toys when they actually go downrange....
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are in many ways limited by the supply chain. The military uses .308. So they got a .308. At the time it was one of, if not the only, battle rifle ready .308 out there, and a large part of why they procured it was because they procured the 5.56mm SCAR, which came about from issues with the M4, which ended up getting fixed, making the 5.56mm SCAR unnecessary.

It's not as simple as "the SCAR is amazing". It was logistically convenient.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are in many ways limited by the supply chain. The military uses .308. So they got a .308. At the time it was one of, if not the only, battle rifle ready .308 out there, and a large part of why they procured it was because they procured the 5.56mm SCAR, which came about from issues with the M4, which ended up getting fixed, making the 5.56mm SCAR unnecessary.

It's not as simple as "the SCAR is amazing". It was logistically convenient.
View Quote
Or they needed a good 308 battle rifle in inventory which is why they kept the 762 around. They could have gone with any platform and chose that. They also chose the sr25, even in its 16 inch config. So all you guys spouting about how good the sr25 is, the scar is 2k cheaper and was still chosen
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or they needed a good 308 battle rifle in inventory which is why they kept the 762 around. They could have gone with any platform and chose that. They also chose the sr25, even in its 16 inch config. So all you guys spouting about how good the sr25 is, the scar is 2k cheaper and was still chosen
View Quote
Keep thinking that. They had tons of .308 in inventory from sniper rifles, belt feds, etc. If they needed a good .308 battle rifle in inventory, they wouldn't be SOF exclusive. If battle rifles were such a force multiplier they wouldn't be a niche item that was primarily used in a similar role as the MK-12.

The EMC (KAC battle rifle) guns did not exist when the SCAR was adopted, if I remember right.

The SCAR filled a tactical niche that the logistics of the US military supported. That's it. It could do DMR stuff, and it could do assault rifle tasks. I'm unaware of another .308 at the time that could do it. One could make the same argument about the MK-12. Which was also used heavily by SOF.

The SCAR isn't the best .308 battle rifle out there, and the battle rifle concept is, and should be dead.

I'm sure there are details I either don't know or are forgetting, but that's what I've heard from both military end users, Chris Bartocci, who worked at Colt when they were competing for the SCAR contract, and others.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I agree, companies need to make aftermarket barrels in different calibers. Hodge should make some. Also i wonder if he was using an aftermarket handle that sits diferrently
View Quote
Companies have made barrels in in different calibers for two years now.  You can get 6.5CM, .260 Rem, and 7mm08 IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Keep thinking that. They had tons of .308 in inventory from sniper rifles, belt feds, etc. If they needed a good .308 battle rifle in inventory, they wouldn't be SOF exclusive. If battle rifles were such a force multiplier they wouldn't be a niche item that was primarily used in a similar role as the MK-12.

The EMC (KAC battle rifle) guns did not exist when the SCAR was adopted, if I remember right.

The SCAR filled a tactical niche that the logistics of the US military supported. That's it. It could do DMR stuff, and it could do assault rifle tasks. I'm unaware of another .308 at the time that could do it. One could make the same argument about the MK-12. Which was also used heavily by SOF.

The SCAR isn't the best .308 battle rifle out there, and the battle rifle concept is, and should be dead.

I'm sure there are details I either don't know or are forgetting, but that's what I've heard from both military end users, Chris Bartocci, who worked at Colt when they were competing for the SCAR contract, and others.
View Quote
And colt guys wouldnt be salty?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And colt guys wouldnt be salty?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm sure the military guys who've posted on arfcom about this very thing, that corroborate what he's said are also salty.

We get it. You're invested in your purchase.

The SCAR is a cool gun, and it's not a bad one. It's just not the best, and it's built on a dead concept and had problems. I'd roll one in 5.56mm.

The mUh ThReE oH eIgHt brigade is lame. Shorter lighter guns that you can carry more ammo for make more sense. If you want a DMR, get cartridges designed for that purpose. There's a reason why .308 is being replaced in sniper roles by 6.5, .260 Rem was experimented with, and there are solicitations for 6.5mm machine guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm sure the military guys who've posted on arfcom about this very thing, that corroborate what he's said are also salty.

We get it. You're invested in your purchase.

The SCAR is a cool gun, and it's not a bad one. It's just not the best, and it's built on a dead concept and had problems. I'd roll one in 5.56mm.

The mUh ThReE oH eIgHt brigade is lame. Shorter lighter guns that you can carry more ammo for make more sense. If you want a DMR, get cartridges designed for that purpose. There's a reason why .308 is being replaced in sniper roles by 6.5, .260 Rem was experimented with, and there are solicitations for 6.5mm machine guns.
View Quote
The "6.5mm is god and anyway who uses anything different is retarded" brigade is lame as well. Goddamn lemmings. 260 65 swede and 243 ive been using for years and yet all of a sudden people are gaga over it lol. Give it a couple years, my guess is the trend will move to heavy 7mm imo
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Devil dog you are an olympic shooter? Impressive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The "6.5mm is god and anyway who uses anything different is retarded" brigade is lame as well. Goddamn lemmings. 260 65 swede and 243 ive been using for years and yet all of a sudden people are gaga over it lol. Give it a couple years, my guess is the trend will move to heavy 7mm imo
View Quote
I actually think .224 Valkyrie is a better caliber, but that's just based on external ballistics, and package size, tbh. I'm not married to any of the precision calibers. I just know that .308 is lackluster as shit. There's even a precision rifle instructor in this thread who said it wasn't great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I actually think .224 Valkyrie is a better caliber, but that's just based on external ballistics, and package size, tbh. I'm not married to any of the precision calibers. I just know that .308 is lackluster as shit. There's even a precision rifle instructor in this thread who said it wasn't great.
View Quote
224v is disappointing all around other than ballistics on paper.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

224v is disappointing all around other than ballistics on paper.
View Quote
Yup 6.5 grendel is much better but thats beside the point
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup 6.5 grendel is much better but thats beside the point
View Quote
I'd take a 6.5g over it any day.

I think federal was really hoping people would believe their marketing campaign where the 224v is super sonic for 87 miles and the 6.5 drops to the earth at 10 feet. They also didn't show how you could get 1k+ yards supersonic in 6.5grendel out of a barrel HALF the length of their 224v test barrel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did i ever say or even infer the 308 is the best for long range work? I agree with you, Its not, but it can do the job and up close really does the job. Its cheap, easy to find ammo, easy to reload for, thousands of bullet combos, can easily be made sub sonic...
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think federal was really hoping people would believe their marketing campaign where the 224v is super sonic for 87 miles and the 6.5 drops to the earth at 10 feet. They also didn't show how you could get 1k+ yards supersonic in 6.5grendel out of a barrel HALF the length of their 224v test barrel.
View Quote
Not to mention bullet weights in 6.5g are much higher and there are better target shooting reloading options
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How would the scar be obsolete? Its lightweight, made of modern materials and can be converted to multiple calibers including 556. Where does this break optics thing come from? Thats the nature of 308s, g3 would be harder along with an m1a which is literally the same as a scar. Also why is it pig hunters wont allow 556 most of the time but 308 is gtg... and why can you body shot a deer with 308 vs a neck shot with a 556. Also im not an avid hunter by any means but realworld affects matter. 556 is a great round and i love mine but its not 308
View Quote
I am an avid hog hunter, and I only use 556.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
SCAR fanbois are worse than HK fanbois.  What does @joglee have to say?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was unaware of that. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

SCAR fanbois are worse than HK fanbois.  What does @joglee have to say?
View Quote
Lol i am a hk fan boi as well. Mk23, usp 45, usp45 tact, usp45 compact, hk45, mk24, soon to be a usp expert in 9
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actual SFOD members here related their direct experience. If you think primary source information is heresy... well that's on you.
View Quote
@HendersonDefense tells a very different story of the SCAR

I'm betting his have 6 figure round counts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You need more B&T
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am so torn on whether or not to buy one or to buy something else.

First world problems.
You need more B&T
Yeah a USW is on my short list at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I got it.  The SCAR is terrible because it's not as accurate as a top of the line bolt action match rifle.  

And you're an Olympic level athlete now?  Man, your online persona is impressive.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/EouEzI5bBR8uk/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put that way, maybe it IS the best battle rifle?
Guy who spent 4k on a single shot 22 is calling the scar silly...lolol dude

https://media0.giphy.com/media/EouEzI5bBR8uk/giphy.gif
He was making a big deal out of high cost and accuracy.

Also yea I did 8 years of 4p smallbore and had two Olympic coaches. No online persona about it. Though it does make guys like you seem stale when you try to act tough but don't have the experience to talk the talk, let alone walk the walk.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Eley ammo?
View Quote
Yup, would have to check the test target to see what specific line. I shot mostly fed gold medal and higher.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So given all the "disjointedness" in the AR market, can you not say the SCAR is the best all-around battle rifle?  When people compare it to the AR15, it tells me that they're also wanting to compare 7.62 to 5.56.  You get range and energy with 7.62 and get lightweight + ammo capacity with 5.56.  Each has a plus and minus.
View Quote
I think it is probably the case that the SCAR is the best "battle rifle", although I think that is like winning the Special Olympics.

I will say, however, that 308 is a very good general purpose round. You can use it for combat, for big game, for long range. It is inferior to other rounds for all those, but it does all those things well and is also popular enough and there is surplus ammo, so the logistics make sense. If I was in a situation where I wanted a rifle that was good for defense against humans, defense against large bears, and also hunting large game animals it would work reasonably well for all those tasks.

I think the AR is the better design, but as previously stated, the way it has rolled out in the 7.62 rifles has been less than ideal. The ARs still remain the best DMR/long range platform, regardless.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think so, it is a matter of people homing in on what actually works best.

There was a time target shooters were using things like .30-338 for long range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Should get to some gun porn.

Older pics, finally got the balls to dremel down the tang for standard AR grips.  Why FN didn't size it for standard AR grips beats me.  
Got rid of the gross Ergo grip and stock for some Magpul grips.

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Also yea I did 8 years of 4p smallbore and had two Olympic coaches. No online persona about it. Though it does make guys like you seem stale when you try to act tough but don't have the experience to talk the talk, let alone walk the walk.
View Quote
Yes becasue a handbuilt 22 lr precision benchrest rifle compared to a mass produced battle rifle is totally comparable. Your logic is infalliable
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes becasue a handbuilt 22 lr precision benchrest rifle compared to a mass produced battle rifle is totally comparable. Your logic is infalliable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

phht don't start a "change my mind" thread then get butthurt when your arguments get thrown off a bridge like a puppy.

If all you're looking for validation jump on FN forums.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
phht don't start a "change my mind" thread then get butthurt when your arguments get thrown off a bridge like a puppy.

View Quote
Lol your "arguments" are that its stupid because 556 is better than 308 and that it kills cheap and improperly mounted optics... ya im not butthurt lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol your "arguments" are that its stupid because 556 is better than 308
View Quote
Well, 5.56 is better than .308, so...
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Forgot the thread title was 308 beats 556 in every way imagine...
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#45]
A problem I'll never have
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol your "arguments" are that its stupid because 556 is better than 308 and that it kills cheap and improperly mounted optics... ya im not butthurt lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, when your battle rifle isn't that great at battle, it sort of doesn't make it the best battle rifle, does it?

Project Salvo and many other investigations spent a LOT of time and money to come to the conclusion .30 caliber rounds are not the bee's knees for combat either.

So it's not necessarily my argument alone, I'm just condensing 70 years or so of modern infantry small arms development into a small hard to swallow pill.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't think so, it is a matter of people homing in on what actually works best.

There was a time target shooters were using things like .30-338 for long range.
View Quote
And now the us socom has 300 norma. There are a million different solutions and people just cant work with what they have, always playing with stuff thats not broken
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
until you have to hunt something with it at 400yds.  Might as well be rolling with spit wads...
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well, when your battle rifle isn't that great at battle, it sort of doesn't make it the best battle rifle, does it?

Project Salvo and many other investigations spent a LOT of time and money to come to the conclusion .30 caliber rounds are not the bee's knees for combat either.

So it's not necessarily my argument alone, I'm just condensing 70 years or so of modern infantry small arms development into a small hard to swallow pill.
View Quote
Er my gawd, so edgy and hip. We should just arm everyone with 6mm creedmoor becaush the velocity and ballistic coefficent is amazinshing. I learned it on youtube and the internets.

You know, never mind the fact you half your barrel life and they dont feed properly and usually with heavier pills wont fit standard mags. Not to mention you will always be stuck with sub 150gr pills if you do plan on feeding from a mag. Imho if we were to drop down we should do 7mm. Good variety of bullets with decent external ballistics and way better terminal than 6 or 65.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And now the us socom has 300 norma. There are a million different solutions and people just cant work with what they have, always playing with stuff thats not broken
View Quote
Which is why the scar-16 never got traction with the military.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top