BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
hey waverunner next time he does this make shure
you stop him for speeding from and intersection when he leave's; say well you didnt use a 5 second rule, and speed off. it works both way's.
sence your a LE.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I was there with Wave. There was no sphincter tongue bathing. He's just a little off! (Dom, not Wave)
Want funny? I work the ambulance in the precinct/town where the guy lives! I can't wait til I get there and someone in the home has a special request to go to a further hospital of their choice because their doc is at that hosp. rather than the closest one. I'll only be toooo happy to cite verse and section of departmental policy and procedure on transporting patients to the closest hospital due to liability and concern for the patient's well being on an extended trip which would involve bypassing closer hospitals! You understand, those are the rules and there's nothing I can do about it.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 70+ yo RO on a power trip. Sounds like the guy from San Gabriel Valley in CA. That's the same reason I stopped going to SGVGC.
View Quote

I met that at same fellow.  Kinda a pain in the butt.  I was picking up spent 30 carbine brass(not mine), and got a verbal tongue lashing from him saying I can't pick spent brass that is not mines.  I saw him later picking up the cases that was left.  I guess it is one of the priviledges of being an RO.
View Quote

He has a weakness for .45ACP brass. Bribe him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What a bunh of horse sh*t! There is no way on this earth I would pay my hard earned money to be a "member" of any such range where some old cod sack would tell me I cant put more than 5 rounds in a magazine, only shoot every 5 seconds, or that my rifle is somehow responsible for all the worlds problems. These are the very people who are willing to compromise to the gun grabbers and will sell you out one day. I dont care how many high powered competitions he has participated in. I once went to a range and I was scolded for showing a new unloaded weapon to a friend who happened to be there, because I wasnt in the proper "area". I left and have never been back, and never will. I go shooting to relax and to get away from all the B.S. I sure dont want to have to be concerned with having to wonder how may seconds it's been since I fired my last shot. How the heck can you concentrate on your shooting when having to worry about such crazy ass rules? Sounds like a country club where stiffs sit around and sip brandy.

P.S. I would go back to the range with that SAR-1 and bump fire a 30 round mag just to watch the blood vessels pop out of his head.
View Quote

You don't understand. You come from a totally different mindset and place in this country. We are at there mercy. i don't like it but we litterally have a handful of places to shoot. They are getting less and less by the year. There is no membership just 8 bucks and you can stay all day. They have 200 yards. We are in a place that wants to oppress you in many ways not just guns. You don't think I know I am going to move from this sh thole one day. I am counting the days and months. But till that time I have to have a place to shoot. And so do other shooters. It is getting that we are going to have to travel 3 hours upstate to go shooting. I travel 1 hour. And other people travel more then that. We have to do what we have to do till time lets us change the situation(and that is get out of NY).

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lougotzz read your post over again & you'll see they come off wrong about NY'ers.I've seen some islanders do some assholish things at the range too, recklessness is not in people from just a certain area but in fools from all areas. second don't believe everything the papers print. Dom's was not around alot when those claimed problems were happening, George was looking after the range at that time. the neighbor next to the range wants it shutdown period (no more to that story). If you remember a few years back huntington had the same problem except a boy scout was shot in the woods near the range. but the state troopers cleared the range of any wrong doing. the shot was later claimed to be fired from someone in the woods near the range that was not a member and did not belong there.when someone doesn't want something near them they do & say anything to get it shut down or moved.
View Quote

I have no doubt that people from the Island are pretty stupid with guns. I have seen people from all over do dangerous things. I want to clarify what I ment. Alot of people in city limits(not only NYC) are not exposed to firearms as much as people who are not in city limits. Not saying Nassau and Suffolk county is country but it is more gun friendly then NYC. That is why cities usually have more gun gontrol then rural places. My point was alot of people that are in NYC buy a gun for whatever reason and want to go shoot it. They drive to calverton and no nothing about safty. They take the gun out of the car and just want to pull the trigger. They are not concerned about 2 stage triggers,match ammo,match barrel,group size ect. I am not say everyone from NYC and other cities are like this but many are. That was my point. I have encountered this mentality many times at calverton. Just cause you or anyone else is from NYC or another city doesn't make you like this. Another point I want to mention again if you are on this board talking guns and issues you are not one of the peole I was decribing. Why? Cause after they pull the trigger and put the gun away till next time they forget about guns. They don't vote on gun issues,they are not NRA members ect. So I hope I made myself a bit clearer and no hard feeling with any of you guy's from NYC or anyother city.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
none taking Lou, Just wanted you to know that just because I live next to the enemy doesn't mean I am the enemy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Out here there is a range I go to once in a great long while with a sort of gimpy guy that works there. He is always yelling for people to don't do this or that. Always he is at LEAST 50 yards away inside a concrete building with his hearing protection on. He gets out a bullhorn just so people can hear him up on the line.

At that range it is a 1 second rule. Bang...bang...bang. The other place I go you can bring full auto, grenade launchers, torpedos, flamethrowers, and small tactical nukes and nobody could give a crap, but alas it is only 100 yards long.[V]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, five second rule, too bad.

We have been using the 30 second rule, empty the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
95thfoot, what range do you go to?  Most of the ones I looked at had some silly mag cap or shot per second rule...
View Quote

N. Grafton. Good people. I may also join at Riverside in Hudson. I've been also a member at Marlborough, but it's really more of a social club than a shooting range. I'd rather shoot than hang around the clubhouse, as my free time is very limited, so I've joined N. Grafton, whose sole emphasis is on shooting. (To each his own, I say.)

Marlborough, as do many clubs in MA and elsewhere, also has problems with the suburban development growing next to the club's land. To keep the neighbors happy (no easy task), Marlborough allows no shooting before 10 AM, no shooting after dusk, no more than 6 rounds in a mag (8 for Garands), no rapid fire or automatic fire, only one guest allowed per member.

N. Grafton's main rule is: be safe, think safe, but there are no probs. firing from after 8 AM until dusk (after 1PM Sundays), multiple guests allowed, any kind of firearm is allowed, from BP to full auto. The Grafton, Upton and Milford police depts. also do their firearms training there, so there is a good relationship with the PDs around here.

The range officers at NG are competent and fair, and none of that Calverton stuff ever occurs. I hope that situation gets sorted out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Just have to chime in here about my experiences with Calverton. I have shot there twice, this year was my first visit there. I have not shot rifles for a long time, mostly shotgun and indoor pistol.

First time I went with my 30-06 bolt gun to zero it in. No problem with the range officer who was sitting in his car trying to get warm (Was very cold that day). Since the Sauer 202 in not a semi I was shooting slowly.

About an hour into the session the local militia showed up with their AK's and Mini14's. Guys started shooting off whole mags and were shooting from the hip. RO was nowhere to be found. I wanted to chew out a couple of the militia guys for rapid fire from the hip that was going over the top of the berm, but held my tounge. (I am experienced running rifle ranges, did so in the Army) this time the RO said nothing to the militia (OK they were probably just some guys having fun but they acted like a bunch of trainees without supervision) Since I was a newbie here I was hesitant to say anything to them, but I probably should have.

Next  time I went with the AR to shoot it for the first time. The RO strolled by as I was setting up and made some comment about that gun coming out of such a small case. I told him the case was for my spotting scope and not the AR. The AR was carried in a soft case. He seemed satisfied but was disaprooving of the AR as shown by his body language and scowl.

When I started to shoot I had problems with the bolt not locking back and not feeding the next shell. As I was trying to work this out He came back and asked me not to shoot so rapidly, they had a 5 second rule. (Had no idea about the rule). I said politely that I was sorry and smiled. After that I counted to 5 before follow up shots, but still had problems with feeding. The RO was all over the place that day and came by my position several times and scowled at the AR.

During one cease fire some of the other shooters got upset because I left the unloaded AR with the action open on the bench as I walked back to the car. I just did not know that they wanted all guns placed in the rack behind the bench during cease fires. OK my Bad, and I apologized and took the abuse, I'm a big boy and I screwed up! Other shooters apparently took offense because of this. I did notice afterwards a small sign on the tower explaining that all guns must be placed in the racks during cease fires. I did not see the sign in the previous visit and when I set up. Lesson learned,ask first about range procedures!

Old George really needs to get some competent people on the range and check for new shooters to explain the rules to them. Rules are often looked upon as a PITA but are necessary for safety. Having been there twice and observing the difference in enforcement of range rules I am beginning to wonder if the complaints against the range have some merit.

Have fun, and waverunner get on the Suffolk PD, screw the city!

Geoff Ross  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top