Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus is LORD
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Actual evidence, or more he said, she said?
View Quote
I know this may sound crazy but pretty much all written history is he said, she said.

There are written accounts from non-bible sources during the time he lived mentioning him.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know this may sound crazy but pretty much all written history is he said, she said.

There are written accounts from non-bible sources during the time he lived mentioning him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, though much of history (generally written by the victor ;) is backed up by physical and tangible things - or, evidence.

All you have for religious belief, is a book (written by ^ men) and a bunch of people who can't really agree on the details.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
There is only ONE Lord

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Trick question. Lemmy is God.
View Quote
Lemmy is dead
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jesus was not created.  Very very bad theology
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is not God, but God's son, his first creation, and the one that God had make all things, including us.

Colossians 1:15,16...

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth...
"begotten, not made"
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"begotten, not made"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is not God, but God's son, his first creation, and the one that God had make all things, including us.

Colossians 1:15,16...

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth...
"begotten, not made"
Attachment Attached File

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Zero evidence he even existed.  The Bible is not evidence.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Jesus is Lord.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jesus is Lord.
View Quote
For you.

Lots of other Gods, religious entities and other are Lord for those who believe equally in their particular faith.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please post links then. The earliest reference to Jesus that I am aware of came from a historian who was born at about the time he died.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#12]
C. S. Lewis never intended his trilemma to prove Christ's divinity--he said it didn't.  He only wanted to knock people off the fence about Jesus by showing the charitable "nice" opinion held by many is not possible.

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher."

Mike
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If he did exist he was a man of wise words.

However anybody that claims themselves to be the Son of God is obviously totally self-absorbed.

In a sense I guess he was we are all children of creation

I will have Siddhartha Guatemala, Confucius and Laozi be my prophets
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

However anybody that claims themselves to be the Son of God is obviously totally self-absorbed.

View Quote
Folks speak of the "Second Coming of Christ" from time to time.

Just exactly what would happen I wonder, if an otherwise respected, kind and thoughtful person, claimed himself to be this second coming - say, tomorrow?
He would be ridiculed and dismissed across the globe - universally, as quickly as GD ridicules and dismisses common sense gun laws.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fallacy of exhausted hypotheses.

It's completely possible for a human to wholeheartedly believe something untrue and not be mentally ill.
View Quote
I know some atheists just like that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For you.

Lots of other Gods, religious entities and other are Lord for those who believe equally in their particular faith.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus is Lord.
For you.

A.W.D.
Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord.

Better now in this life than later.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jim Jones. Liar, lunatic, or lord?
View Quote
Based on the testimony of multiple first hand assistants, the first two.

As opposed to multiple centuries of Christians who were tortured to death rather than recant their faith.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Eccentric apocalyptic rabbi, if he existed at all.
View Quote
Debating the historicity of Jesus is a poor place to start.

Plenty of Biblical scholars who are non believers believe in the Historical Jesus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#19]
there's only one Creator

no matter what name an individual, culture, society, or religion calls the Creator
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I was raised Southern Baptist, my entire family still is... but 3-5 years ago I began to question (earlier than that if you count when I was deployed to Afghanaland).  The likes of Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens spoke more common sense to this issue than I had heard before and definitely went a long way in changing my mind.

This is just one of many good debates involving the Hitch
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Debating the historicity of Jesus is a poor place to start.

Plenty of Biblical scholars who are non believers believe in the Historical Jesus.
View Quote
Provide a single irrefutable piece of objective evidence. One that would stand in court.

Citations please.  Convince me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus is Lord.
For you.

A.W.D.

Sounds rather self serving and of the mind to be controlling, and not be questioned.
Kinda' like liberals.

Really boggles my mind that the pro-gun crowd - normally so grounded and based in the reality of things and the life we live - would hold so strongly to a made up ideal in search of an agenda that must be adhered to - or else...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was raised Southern Baptist, my entire family still is... but 3-5 years ago I began to question (earlier than that if you count when I was deployed to Afghanaland).  The likes of Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens spoke more common sense to this issue than I had heard before and definitely went a long way in changing my mind.

View Quote
It is amazing.  Being thrust into a holy war will change minds in a hurry.

My story is similar in many ways.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What written sources are there from the time he lived?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Provide a single irrefutable piece of objective evidence. One that would stand in court.

View Quote
You are saying that the Creator of everything, prove that he exist or you will decide that He doesn't? That is a backwards priority.  You make yourself out to be judge and God, to decide if there is a God that you can accept. If you were really able to do that, He wouldn't be God. He is however.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You are saying that the Creator of everything, prove that he exist or you will decide that He doesn't? That is a backwards priority.  You make yourself out to be judge and God, to decide if there is a God that you can accept. If you were really able to do that, He wouldn't be God. He is however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing about the statement, that "God made man in his own image."

This also allows for man, as the judge, to question the concept of God, as they are in a sense - one in the same.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#27]
doubletap
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I read Case for Christ. The author makes the argument that if someone claims A, B, C and D and A, B, and C are shown to be true then we can accept D as also true. Not all that bad of logic. Except the author admits every single interview was fabricated. He shoots down his whole argument by doing that in my opinion. I think the only thing Lee Strobel discovered in his investigations is that there is a lot of money to be made writing Christian books.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Assyrians, Muslims, Mongols and Nazis could have wiped away the memory of the Tribe of Judah and the Idea of Christianity should have been stomped out by the Romans if it was just another man made religion but it seems God has a plan based on his timeline not ours.

Yes, I call him Lord.

The conversion of Paul would have to take place with some serious "that's a fact jack" event.
View Quote
The Romans adopted Christianity and spread it through the empire deliberately. It’s easier to rule people as an empire if they all believe in the same God.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#31]
you'd have to be willfully ignorant to deny his existence,  His coming the first time has affected human history more than any other, we even date our calendars Anno Domini and BC and he's coming again. He's the 2nd person of the God head. The God/Man Christ Jesus , he came to save us from our sins , to keep us out of Hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Read and judge yourself

It’s not like Jesus has been subject to immense scholarship since about 300 AD or so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
How arrogant, well at least in my opinion, your salvation is your own.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you'd have to be willfully ignorant to deny his existence,  His coming the first time has affected human history more than any other, we even date our calendars Anno Domini and BC and he's coming again. He's the 2nd person of the God head. The God/Man Christ Jesus , he came to save us from our sins , to keep us out of Hell.
View Quote
Actually, one must be pretty willfully in denial of hi/her own ability to think, and to reason - to blindly follow such silliness.
The realization that Earth is actually not flat, has had a pretty big impact on things as well.

I'm growing more and more convinced that religion is a product of Liberalism.
They share too many common traits, undeniable insistence on what is right and what is wrong, "...because we said so, or you will burn in Hell," and that proverbial holier than thou attitude.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds rather self serving and of the mind to be controlling, and not be questioned.
Kinda' like liberals.

Really boggles my mind that the pro-gun crowd - normally so grounded and based in the reality of things and the life we live - would hold so strongly to a made up ideal in search of an agenda that must be adhered to - or else...

A.W.D.
View Quote
Just one of many reasons why I have never cared for any of the abrahamic faiths, they all have their roots and Zoroastrianism anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
We agree he was a man, and it's a darn good thing he was a man, but he was also God. He can only save what he represents(in the obvious context I'm talking about here.). If he weren't human, his death on the cross would have been for nothing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Outside of changing the world and how things are done in it and being one of, if not the most influential person in history, you're right.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was raised S. Baptists as well, they didn't teach me much in the ways of understanding the word just worship. Recently started going to a Presbyterian Church and holy smokes! So many questions I have had are being answered. Just thought I'd mention it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Read and judge yourself

It’s not like Jesus has been subject to immense scholarship since about 300 AD or so.
View Quote
If you take the Bible and apocryphal texts out of the equation, the only documentary evidence for Jesus is Tacitus writing "there's a wacky Jewish cult calling themselves Christians."
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just exactly what would happen I wonder, if an otherwise respected, kind and thoughtful person, claimed himself to be this second coming - say, tomorrow?
He would be ridiculed and dismissed across the globe - universally, as quickly as GD ridicules and dismisses common sense gun laws.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

I disagree...... when He returns, in the way He is prophesied to return, those who scoff and dismiss now won’t......it will be an awesome sight
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As opposed to multiple centuries of Christians who were tortured to death rather than recant their faith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jim Jones. Liar, lunatic, or lord?

Obviously quite a few thought he was the third.

There have been lots of weirdos over the years who claimed to be god. Many of their followers went to the grave believing that they were too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Outside of changing the world and how things are done in it and being one of, if not the most influential person in history, you're right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Influential" does not make a person, a god.
It only means that the conditions existed within society and the world for the many, to focus their attention on something or someone that fit their needs.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#44]
LORD and Savior
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I disagree...... when He returns, in the way He is prophesied to return, those who scoff and dismiss now won’t......it will be an awesome sight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

Well until then, just be a good, kind and fair person, based on what you know and understand as you would "...do unto yourself."
No need for a god, or a book or other set of instructions (or else!)

I believe in you as a person, and that you have the power to ascertain the difference between good and evil all by yourself, to act in a manner beneficial to society and its future success.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually, one must be pretty willfully in denial of hi/her own ability to think, and to reason - to blindly follow such silliness.
The realization that Earth is actually not flat, has had a pretty big impact on things as well.

They share too many common traits, undeniable insistence on what is right and what is wrong, "...because we said so, or you will burn in Hell," and that proverbial holier than thou attitude.

A.W.D.
View Quote
Nothing in the Bible says the earth is flat.. believe what you want. I agree with you in one regard,, don't get caught up in religion. Jesus said you must be born again spiritually to have eternal life.
"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son hath not life".  People may tell you you are going to Hell - or you're not. I wouldn't listen to them .
I'd listen to what the Holy son of God has said to you about it.

Christ died a real death not a spiritual death but a physical real death , he was buried in a real tomb. Then 3 days later he was raised from the dead.. If that had not happened Christianity would have died in the 1st century and we wouldn't be talking about it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even if that did happen I would not accept him, because it will have proved that I was right, that in the end god cares not of free will, or justice.

I would hate for god to be such a being, it would be the greatest tragedy
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone who claims to know when Christ will come again is a liar, period.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nothing in the Bible says the earth is flat...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Nothing in the Bible says the earth is flat...
People used to, and were convinced of it just as they are of religious ideology.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Source for claim, please.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top