BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a modest collection of oil lamps and lanterns.  It started as an emergency lighting measure, but now it's a fun excuse to wander antique shops looking for matches to make a pair.
View Quote
I know a guy who does this as a hobby.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a modest collection of oil lamps and lanterns.  It started as an emergency lighting measure, but now it's a fun excuse to wander antique shops looking for matches to make a pair.
View Quote
I do this as well. Plus Coleman lanterns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Collecting old oil cans from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what's the difference between an obscure hobby and a crazy person?
View Quote
Net worth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Not all that strange I guess but I collect reloading powder measures. I've owned most every production pistol and rifle measure made at one point or another and dozens of one-offs. The collection is slimmed down now after selling some basic models I lost interest in but i still collect.

I'll get around to setting up a display bench for them all someday.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a guy here who practices a martial art that consists of drawing a Japanese sword. Just drawing it from the scabbard.
View Quote
Is that like racking a pump shotgun to scare off intruders?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my 10 year-old students raises quail.  He can tell you everything about quail.  I guess he has four different varieties.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything to do with trains is just fucking weird
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What sort of current are you using? I've heard low voltage 1amp is sufficient for other projects but cast iron?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
12 volt manual car battery charger usually runs at 7-10 amps with the anodes, electrolyte and size of the skillets I clean.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Not the most mental of collections, but I am a sucker for old USA stamped wrenches....the older/odder the better.  You can pick them up from pawn shops for less than $0.50-1 each, and I have a tool bag full of the things.  My plan is to eventually redo all my drawer and cabinet handles in the shop with the wrenches, and so far I have more than enough wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I collect current issue US currency.

I'm just not good at it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I collect coffee mugs
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doubtful unless she used preservatives. Spoiled semen smells horrible.
View Quote
But...how....
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know a childless couple in their 50's who go to DL or WDW twice a year. They have a condo near WDW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a couple of folks who are into WDW big time like that.

As in drive 10 hours to Orlando to spend the weekend at the pool at one of the resorts, then drive 10 hours back.
I know a childless couple in their 50's who go to DL or WDW twice a year. They have a condo near WDW.
@ErikOR

#mouselife

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
OP here.  I know a guy who collects a bunch of heavy, obsolete old rifles called M1 Garands and even posts pictures of them here.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you happen to have her number?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a girl that collected her boyfriends jizz in a small bottle. Supposedly carried it around with her and once used it on a squeaky door hinge.

Not sure that counts as a hobby but it certainly seems obscure and is for sure odd
This ??????????????????

My Childhood friend still has and uses a pre-revolutionary war lead mold for lead soldiers .  Just casts and paints them Now
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This ??????????????????

My Childhood friend still has and uses a pre-revolutionary war lead mold for lead soldiers .  Just casts and paints them Now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a girl that collected her boyfriends jizz in a small bottle. Supposedly carried it around with her and once used it on a squeaky door hinge.

Not sure that counts as a hobby but it certainly seems obscure and is for sure odd
This ??????????????????

Does your friend like to workout with a rowing machine?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]
My friend's brother collects business cards. He developed the hobby due to business travel. Most of them are in those binders that are used for baseball cards. They are organized by country, regions, states, cities, etc... It's odd, but pretty damn impressive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was a cop I went to a guys apartment that was FILLED with vintage brass cash registers like you'd see in an old general store. There was a bed but no other  furniture just cash registers on folding tables.

It was a shitty ghetto apartment complex too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was a cop I went to a guys apartment that was FILLED with vintage brass cash registers like you'd see in an old general store. There was a bed but no other  furniture just cash registers on folding tables.

It was a shitty ghetto apartment complex too.
View Quote
I'm sure they were his pride and joy.  What brought you there?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I have hundreds of the mini airline size liquor bottles that are full.

Glass only. Doesn't take up that much space. One shelf in a child a hutch. It's packed pretty tight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to raise poison dart frogs.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did a report on falconry in 4th grade after seeing My Side of the Mountain, because i thought i'd like to do it.
My most important takeaway was that it's a full-time job.
View Quote
And did you know the author wrote two more books, making a trilogy?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Golf.

A thinly-veiled excuse of a game, just so bored rich white guys can drink and congregate somewhere without having to drag their shrewish wives around with them.

Too bad, because now Tiffany and Madison want to play golf, too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The amount of money involved
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obsession.
The amount of money involved
If you do it, it's a hobby, if someone else does it, it's an obsession or they are crazy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Gangbangs
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
There was a guy in (iirc) either Germany or the Netherlands, who had a Thermos museum.

I had a rather unique vacuum coffee decanter. The lid resembled the valve from an automobile engine. It would tip when you dispensed coffee, but you had to tip it upside-down to remove it. I put it on eBay. I sold it to him.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a friend who recreationaly investigates and compiles information and relics from historic assignations.

He really gets into it. His interest is on EVERYTHING surrounding the motives, planning, the event itself and then the social and historical aftermath.

As part of his hobby, he will visit the actual murder sites.

He once vacationed in Sarajevo while researching Archduke Franz Ferdinand

He has visited Dealey Plaza and the Grassy knoll. He has a copy of the American Rifleman magazine with the ad from Klein's Sporting Goods.

He was absolutely giddy when more JFK records were declassified.

I sometimes help him with obtaining as close as possible replicas of the murder weapons. He owns a 1940 Terni mfg. Carcano m38 in 6.5mm. He is still trying to find the correct scope. He also has an FN model 1910 and a reproduction Philadelphia Deringer that has been seasoned enough to be a dead ringer for the one on display at Ford's Theatre.

There is nothing morbid about what he does. He is not fantisizing about making himself famous through a copycat action. He is a professional Historian and works as an .gov Intel. Analyst so for him this is just something a little more interesting than what he does on the clock.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone who isn't a ham radio operator will consider this a little strange.

Hams who engage in DX (long distance communications) collect QSL cards. Many hams have their own original cards.

Many hams literally live to collect these cards. Some of them are very collectible; for example the King of Jordan is a ham, and his card is very desirable.

The radio station on the Queen Mary in Long Beach is a licensed ham radio station:

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#30]
My kids and I had some free tickets to the Renaissance Fair and went yesterday. Some of those folks are way over the top and weird.

Also Star Wars/toy collecting. Ever seen a grown man sprint to the toy aisle of a Target at store opening looking for an action figure?

I know a guy who has a literal house full of train memorabilia including a miniature track (well, the size a kid could ride in, whatever that is considered) that runs through both floors of his house. The whole house is like stepping back in time with all the vintage decor. Many people know him as Big Tex, since he provided the voice for the giant animatronic cowboy at the Texas State fair for years. Cool guy but odd hobby for sure
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP here.  I know a guy who collects a bunch of heavy, obsolete old rifles called M1 Garands and even posts pictures of them here.

View Quote
THAT isn't weird.
The weird thing is how he names them...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a guy here who practices a martial art that consists of drawing a Japanese sword. Just drawing it from the scabbard.
No, it is a draw and killing low in one strike. I forgot what it is called, but you don’t pull it straight out but you put forward pressure on the bladnas well. As soon as the tip clears, the sword immediately leaps forward in an arc with a lot of force behind it.
Done properly, it is almost impossible to defend against. It’s not like I got laid open, let me take you with me either, you get chopped in half.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Have a good friend that collects vintage slide rules.

Engineers are
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone collect movie ticket stubs? I've saved all of mine from about 1995 to the present. Oldest one I can remember is for the movie Twister. The nice thing is the collection takes up the space of about 3 decks of cards.

My dad has a collection of Lufkin rule tape measures. A drawer in a tool chest dedicated to old American made tape measures.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I have started to collect one particular Magic the Gathering card. Any time I can buy or trade for one at a reasonable pirce I will buy it.

I have 40 so far. I think I am going to just do various things like glue them together to make a poster and frame it while using different arts to make a cool design. IDK.

My dad saves every kind of nut, bolt, fastener, zip tie, hose clamp, etc. He will stop in the road to pick up a hose clamp. He has shelves in his garage with like 40+ coffee cans just filled with shit he will never use. He is not a pack rat with anything else. Although, I am sure there are some other arfcommers that do the exact same thing....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#37]
When I was in Iraq I was applying to various Police Departments. One Dept. required that I provide contact info and a signed statement from my neighbors saying I wasn’t a scumbag. I was using my father’s house as my address at the time. So while visiting on leave I had to knock on the neighbors doors and ask them to fill out and sign this form.

Well the old guy across the street had a big house that he lived in and exclusively subletted to college girls. Don’t think any sex was going on but who knows. He said he would sign it on the condition that I send his friend in England a post card from Iraq. He said the guy collected letters and postcards from occupied countries. I said ok, he signed and when I got back to Iraq I sent a post card to the weirdo collector in England. That was the end of that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well the old guy across the street had a big house that he lived in and exclusively subletted to college girls. Don’t think any sex was going on but who knows.
View Quote
sounds like an old guy with a plan, regardless of whether sex was going on!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trains

Fucking weird
Quoted:
Anything to do with trains is just fucking weird

Those train people (which for decades was the biggest normal hobby, men had to have proof of children to see new displays back in the day....) and the rules about train club....

https://xkcd.com/878/ which is

For those that don't get all the science, history, mathematics, etc. in XKCD comics or the image's Alt Text joke comment, a cheater page https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/878:_Model_Rail

I would be curious to see how the guy ran a train inside his house for two stories, did it? Was it a children train set(like the battery powered cars & motorcycles) or the larger "garden size"  For those unaware look up "Train Mountain" and see pictures/youtube of when they have one of their meets, it is a large scale train version of "Knob Creek" . Say what you want but  building a real steam engine train is respectable project. Waiting for thread to derail about not allowing "coal fired" vs. propane  at some places to happen....

What about PEZ collectors?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How rich you are.  If you're poor then you're crazy.  If you're rich then you're just eccentric.

Oh and for myself... coffee mugs from places I've been.

It started off as me just getting a few interesting looking mugs and then it became me getting mugs to give Mom from every port or place I went to, with the understanding she'd eventually give them all back to me.  Now I have more mugs than I might possibly need.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Chris
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I met a mechanic who collects Volkswagens, and the occasional Audi and other German cars. He has a warehouse full of them, not much room to walk around. VW Camper vans, Things, Carmen Gias, Rabbits, convertible beatles, you name it. Should be a museum. Not for sale.

And we also have the Gilmore car museum in the region, one of the best private classic car museums in the country with cars owned by a local very wealthy guy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#43]
My son collects auto and light truck wheels.

Probably more than half the collection are six lug GM rims, but there are  30 plus 8 lug 3/4 and one ton  wheels,  and maybe 50 or so ford, dodge, and import wheels.
Used tire count has to be north of 200, and that's not counting the stacks  behind our  target range.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
An ex-girlfriend's dad was a falconer.  He basically structured his whole life around it.
View Quote
I was gonna say falconer. ..
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4444/37250298891_0996d90018_b.jpg[/url
Chris
View Quote
Damn,Chris! Got any 6146Bs in there?
There are lots of radio enthusiasts, hams included, who love the old tube-type rigs.
"It ain't a real radio unless it glows in the dark!"
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#46]
And to think... I thought iceboating was unusual and obscure. Now it seems very mainstream.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Had a guy at work who collected and worked on clocks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was a kid, all us neighborhood kids spent the summer pissing into a 5 gallon carboy.  I'm not sure if it was a hobby.

Eventually someone knocked it over and neighborhood smelled like old piss for days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I know someone who's trying to build an actual working AR lower out of Legos.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
I've got a 'working' Lego AK-47.  Detachable mag, uses bricks as the projectiles, only single action type bolt though.  Look up Lego Heavy Weapons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What sort of current are you using? I've heard low voltage 1amp is sufficient for other projects but cast iron?
View Quote
Old style plug in car battery charger is what I use.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top