Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2018 9:28:05 AM EDT
Have 3 to move.

Just lay them down on a thick blanket or what? They all work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, back side down on enough blankets to be fully supported.  Don't stack anything on top.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Plasma tv's have to remain upright.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't lay them flat
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
No they don't.

Source: Installed a couple hundred of them. Would lay them screen side down on a moving pad to install the mounting brackets, take measurements etc.
The plasma will not leak out.

As far as transporting unboxed tvs when moving. I usually filled the back of my truck with other boxed up stuff that needed moved, put a blanket down, put the tvs (screen up) on top and cover with another blanket.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's weird because I bought a plasma TV in 2009 and it's moved twice and I've laid it down both times. It's now hanging in my bedroom and works just fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I kept the box and packing in case i wanted to move them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Smaller ones are not an issue. The bigger they get, the more of a chance you have of cracking the screen if you lay them flat and go bouncing down the road.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No they don't.

Source: Installed a couple hundred of them. Would lay them screen side down on a moving pad to install the mounting brackets, take measurements etc.

As far as transporting unboxed tvs when moving. I usually filled the back of my truck with other boxed up stuff that needed moved, put a blanket down, put the tvs (screen up) on top and cover with another blanket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No they don't.

Back in about 2005 Best Buy told me plasmas had to remain upright. Had to go back home and get my wife’s van ?? Fast forward to 2010 I get another one and it wasn’t an issue to lay it down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I transported my plasma's upright just for the safety factor.
The only issue with laying them down is the possibility of glass panel stress breakage due to a rough ride.
The glass panels are far less prone to breakage when they are transported on edge rather than on the flat (this is why you see trucks transporting glass window panes on edge and not flat).
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No they don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No they don't.

It's a matter of cracking screens during transportation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I transported my plasma's upright just for the safety factor.
The only issue with laying them down is the possibility of stress breakage due to a rough ride.
The glass panels are far less prone to breakage when they are transported on edge rather than on the flat (this is why you see trucks transporting glass window panes on edge).
View Quote
The really big plasmas (65"+) I would try to keep upright as much as possible.
Installed several 85s and a 103, was always concerned about exactly what you describe. That and they were heavy and God awful expensive. When a TV costs as much as a decent car, requires a dedicated 220V circuit and comes with wall framing instructions you tend to be very, very careful.
LED/LCD/OLED tvs don't have those issues.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Back in about 2005 Best Buy told me plasmas had to remain upright. Had to go back home and get my wife’s van ?? Fast forward to 2010 I get another one and it wasn’t an issue to lay it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No they don't.

That’s because they now use the new improved plasma with anti-leak filler ingredients based on this stuff...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#13]
You can lay them flat glass up but I would not recommend it unless it's a short drive and not bumpy. The whole TV takes the brunt of every bump that way. Standing up and tied down (bungee cords for the slight give over bumps) is the best way. Get some plastic if chance of rain.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Dunno.  Don't have TV.  I'll go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#15]
If you decide to move it upright.  Be sure to place some boxes with blankets on either side to keep it from tipping. I helped a buddy move his 72" monstrosity years ago in a ranger pickup.  We (I) almost tipped it.  My stomach dropped and I felt sick for the last 10 minutes of the drive.

I was driving and I told him we needed more support but he was like..........it will be fine, only 20min drive.

A lot can happen in 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]
i work on a receiving dock at a manufacturing plant,i have seen flat screens,even plasmas stacked flat one on top of another ,fedex ground,,express,ups,and other box truck carriers,at times with things sitting on top sometimes.when they deliver items i can see in all their trucks,people loading trucks don't care,get as much on truck as possible and deliver .sitting up right maybe on direct shipments to distribution warehouses like sams,walmart,but they still get them delivered by the already mentioned carriers to
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I just moved three, including our 65". I had all of the boxes and they were all standing. My brothers installs home theatres and automation for a living. It was his advice.

The boxes are huge and I'm never moving again..... out to the trash, this time.

I'd stand them up, cover the screens with flat pieces of cardboard, then wrap them in moving blankets. Secure them so they can't tip. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I seem to remember the instructions on the box said DO NOT LAY FLAT.  This was on my first Plasma, many years ago.

There was also a "tilt indicator" on the box, some sort of device that turned color if the box had been laid down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top