Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 4:43:02 PM EDT
I saw this in a post sometime ago, but can't seem to locate it. I just got a hankerin' for some of this delicious treat. Can anyone help me out? (BTW internet search brought back no less than 1 trillion pages containg the word "S**T")

thx
B
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Poopinfresh, try this:

1 S**T
1 Shingle

season to taste.

Sorry...couldn't resist.  I'll be back later with a good recipie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This is off of another site

"1 can of corned beef (manufacturer of your choice). Or, optionally, if you just got paid, you can use ground beef which tastes better.

Jar of mayo (the whole thing will not be used)

Bread to feed the five thousand (or just you if you're a loser and have to eat alone.)

Flour (amount depends on number of folks eating)

Water (amount depends on amount of flour)

PROCEDURE:
Heat a sauce pan to about medium high heat. Put some water in the pan, but do not boil. Add some flour. The amount of water should be significantly more than the flour, for you are making a soupy mixture. This part is prepared much like flour gravy, only not as thick. As the flour heats, it should turn a suspiciously ugly brown color. Add water and/or flour until you have enough sauce to feed the crowd that happens to be mooching off of you that day. About 1/2 cup of this mixture serves one moderately.

After the sauce is brown in color, and it is to the consistency of your choice, add the entire contents of the can of corned beef.  (Or for you rich people, ground beef.)  Heat for another 5 minutes or so, long enough to warm the fake beef.

When heated to taste, take off heat and slap some mayo on a piece of bread (one side only), and lay, mayo side up, on an eating surface. Cover bread with the "shit" and eat with utensil of your choice. I find that a fork works well. Eat it like a piece of pie or something. I also find it useful to double stack. Make like above, then prepare another piece of bread, stack on first and cover like before. if you don't like to spend a lot of time in the actual eating process, this gets it over with quicker.

The corned/ground beef roughly doubles the amount of "shit", so when you are making the sauce, keep in mind that you are adding flour and water to make HALF of the amount of food you are serving."

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I have the terminology wrong... What I remember was toast with chipped beef and some type of white gravy...

I suppose the ground beef could be replaced with chipped beef. (I did't remember hash but, It has been 15 years!!)

Thanks!

B
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The orginal SOS was with chipped beef, not ground beef, a later adaptation.[beer]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Chipped beef is correct.  I trying to get in touch with my mom as we speak because she makes the best "chipped beef gravy" on earth.  I grew up on SOS.  Please stay tuned...I'll have it for you soon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to get dried beef at most markets. I've seen it in a jar. I think Swift's or Armour's.

The white sauce would be butter and flour for the roue. Once cooked thin with milk to desired thickness, add beef. Salt and pepper to taste.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]
This is one of those navy things I will never eat again.

When our boat was in hte shipyard, to give the impression that the overhaul was progressing as scheduled they took away our Comrats pay.

The galley was in no shape to be cooking food, and we ate sandwiches for about 3-5 months for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. a It was obvious then that Tom Terrific did not give a rat's a** about morale.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, here it is.  Only one provision...you MUST call it Mrs. Smith's Chipped Beef.  Ok?  Anyway, on to the recipie:

1/2 cup bacon drippings (hey, we're southern!)
   If you don't have this, Mom said you could use a 50/50 mix of wesson and butter, but it won't taste as good.

Mix drippings with 3 Tbsp of flour, slightly rounded, but not much.

Add 1/2 tsp salt. and as much pepper as you like.

Brown all these items in a saucepan over med. heat.  If this is clumping, add some butter.

Open up a can of Armor's dried beef. cut it into quarters, and add to the browning flower/drippings mix.  (in retrospect, have this prepared early)

Open one large (tall) can of condensed milk and pour in the saucepan, then fill with water and pour in as well.

Cook over med. heat 'till thick.  Enjoy.

I think you can handle the "shingle" part.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about SoS. I am a tater tot casserole kind of guy myself.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Frontsight your moms got it right!Thats the way my mom taught me to make it.Only I use buddig beef.its alittle more teneder.You can also add a little more bacon drippings and salt.If you eat it on a regular basis its going to kill you anyway.Never used the condensed milk though.I make mine a little thicker,hell you eat it during a hurricane and not have it slide off your plate.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll offer my variant.  I use milk and flour for the gravy.  Thicken to a thin gruel consistency.  Add a can of Libby's roast beef and warm.  Toast the bread in the oven with butter.  Place toast on plate, pour on the s**t, and eat with a fork like pie as stated above.  Now that's some good eatin'.  Mmmm hmmm. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Memories...... in the corners of my mind....

"We were soldiers once... and young"

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
My Grandmother used to make this on a regular basis but it was a white sauce of I believe butter and flour with salt and pepper brought to a boil and thinned with milk, add "chunks of the leftover ham from the night before and laddle onto toast.  MMMM
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Come on guys, you northerners have got it all wrong. Real SOS is made with sausage and gravy!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Come on guys, you northerners have got it all wrong. Real SOS is made with sausage and gravy!
View Quote

That's exactly what I was thinking. SOS is sausage in milk gravy over biscuits.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Thx for the goods folks. I know what we're having tonite!!

Frontsite, tell mama Smith thanks, and I'll give her all the credit[beer]

B
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Had this crap when I was a kid, swore an oath to myself that I would never be in such a spot that I would be forced to eat it again.  So far, so good.
View Quote

You must have eaten this wierd beef variety.
SOS rocks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmm, Hates SOS... Ok, to each their own.
[size=3][red]COMMIE[/red][/size=3]

Oh, you know I'm kidding... right? [}:)]

B
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in '65 the most common GI version was made with chipped beef. Later on sausage became prevelent. Prior to my 'retirement' in '85 a ground beef/sausage version was the most common. No telling what they're serving now. Pop Tarts?

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]
SOS is creamed chipped beef on toast.  Period. End of story.  All others are regional variants and, thus, less than the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top