Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2001 2:11:06 PM EDT
I came across this mini-14 today (No, I'm not buying it ;) ) and it was a postban. It had a permanetly pinned folding stock, and a flash hider. Yes, you heard me right, it was a flash hider. If I have read the laws right, this is illegal. From what I understand, A flash hider is an absolute no-no on all postbans. They are only allowed on prebans as a replacement, and it has to be permanetly attached. This one's pinned on the same way as an sks muzzle break. Is this considered permanent? They told me I was wrong and you could put one on a postban only if the flash hider was made before the ban and not the gun.
Now for the question... Who is right?
Please let me know, and if you can, could someone post a link to the ATF site so I could show it to them in writing if I am right?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It's illegal. Folding stock with pistol grip is one evil feature, flashider is two. With a detacheable mag, that's a major No-No.

Somebody got the official link to the ATF site with the document? I dunno where it is.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sid,
They have it swapped, if the rifle is pre-ban, you can put a post-ban flash-hider on it.
Ice
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger did make some factory mini-14s that had folding stocks and flash hiders and bayonet lugs, but if the stock is pinned it probably isn't one of those.
Ice
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
How did you know it was post ban? I had to call into Ruger to find the status of mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
They told me they called it in and checked on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
There are also companies which manufacture post ban compliant recoil checks which are designed to resemble flash hiders.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's post-ban, then you can have one evil feature.  Since it has a flash hider and a pistol grip, that's one too many.  You have to loose one to be legal.  It doesn't matter which one, you can just have only one though.  The flash hider's OK as long as you don't have another evil feature like bayonet lug, pistol grip folding stock, etc.  

The detatchable mag is technically not an evil feature.  It's a separate requirement for the definition of a AW.  You could have all the evil features in the world on an M-1 Garand since it doesn't have a detachable mag and can never be an AW witout one.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
F***em ! Buy what you want ! [:(]

If they tell you to turn in all your stuff-
Give them the AMMO first [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I Just got over on the IRS ------- HeHe  [:)]

I - Ahem  - forgot to file a couple of years ago - and  they 've been dogging me ever since
[:eek]
So I had a hearing today - and the IRS Geek said I was too poor to pay !

HAHAHAHAHAHA - Well yes - I am a poor  MF- er

"Yes Mr Tax Man - I Be Poor- and I won't do it again"  ( Grin Grin )

Stupid FEDSHEEPLE - [:)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top