Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 7:24:18 PM EDT
i just saw on hte local news, 30 dogs were found dumped at an abandoned farm about an hour from where i live. almost all the dogs were found alive, but horribally neglected. they were almost walking skeletons. athorities say they think the dogs ( i think all very young pups) are from a puppy mill that for whatever reason was overwhelmed or going out of bisness. the dogs are in such bad shape many of them will most likly have to be put down. i hope the cops find the non-human filth that did this and feed him to the goddamn rats. son of a bitch
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
DAMN, more people on my "to kick the shit out of" list.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate to see animals treated like this.  A few years ago me and my dad found 4 or 5 deer with the tenderloin cut out of each one just laying in a ditch.  What a waste. If you are going to kill an animal at least have the decency to use it for more than just one part of its bady.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DAMN, more people on my "to kick the shit out of" list.
View Quote

I'll have to start a new page.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Where I live at the end of hunting season, some of the less scrupulous hunters will just take the collars off of the dogs that won't hunt anymore and will just leave them to get hit by cars or starve to death.

About 3 or 4 months ago I was going to get horse feed and this pathetic black and tan walker hound was running down the middle of the road, trying to follow every car that passed.  Of course I stopped (I take in stray and abused animals) and she jumped right in.  Bear in mind that I had sworn to myself I wouldn't get any more animals.  First stop after the feed store was the vet's... she weighed 35lbs... a full grown hound is usually around 50-60lbs.  

I am happy to say that "Lucy" is all fattened up now and is doing well on my farm.  She likes to sleep on some old hay in the barn and we've developed a routine in the morning when I go out to feed.  I ask her, "Lucy, what's a hound dog say?" and she throws her head back and bays.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
MM, that's kinda how i got MY black N tan. I'll show ya mine if you show me yours.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Where I live at the end of hunting season, some of the less scrupulous hunters will just take the collars off of the dogs that won't hunt anymore and will just leave them to get hit by cars or starve to death.

About 3 or 4 months ago I was going to get horse feed and this pathetic black and tan walker hound was running down the middle of the road, trying to follow every car that passed.  Of course I stopped (I take in stray and abused animals) and she jumped right in.  Bear in mind that I had sworn to myself I wouldn't get any more animals.  First stop after the feed store was the vet's... she weighed 35lbs... a full grown hound is usually around 50-60lbs.  

I am happy to say that "Lucy" is all fattened up now and is doing well on my farm.  She likes to sleep on some old hay in the barn and we've developed a routine in the morning when I go out to feed.  I ask her, "Lucy, what's a hound dog say?" and she throws her head back and bays.  [:D]
View Quote

Great story.  I bet she likes you better than her previous owner.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1069148&a=7896069&p=48089101&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

This was before she was fully recovered.  She had been available for adoption but after the last call I realize that I've gotten attached to the little goofball. ::lopsided grin::
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, called my bluff. OK I'll get one up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Puppy mills are all over this part of Pa., the Amish raise pupa to sell to pet stores.  They treat them like beef steers, which means they are not socialized with humans, and make a difficult dog to say the least.  There will be puppy mills as long as the general public continues to buy pet-store puppies.......
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Black, White, & Tan. [;)]  Acutally two of them:

[img]http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=SchatzisFamily&ID_Topic=2&ID_Message=52[/img]

Puppy mills are the worst.  They often buy dogs at auction and put them in a box to breed.  You think people would not buy just because of the poor health of many of the puppies.  Crap.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Some people call gun owners crazy.Yet there are people callous enough to make a living doing this.Now if they shot the dogs instead of leaving them to die a slow starving death.what angle do you think the news would run.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine. Sharing an apple with the girl. I was working in a sh*thole part of Florida and I heard this dog crying. So I grab my maglight so I can brain the stupid hatian beating the dog and can't see anything. Well I go to climb the fence and almost stepped on him. He was the size of his head now and got stuck trying to climb under the fence. Went home with me and lives to good life now.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1567996&a=11958523&p=48090982[/img]

Here they are after a busy day of laying around.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1567996&a=11958523&p=48090980[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.  I'm going downstairs to play with my dogs now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
i think we need some kind of puppy control. like limits on numbers produced and better inspections. also limits on how often a bitch is bread. hell, with all the unreasonable gun control we should have some perhaps extreme puppy control is in order, at least that would make some sense.

on dateline they had an special on puppy mills. goddamn awful. they had pens where breeding stock was wondering around and the ground was littlered with skeletons. some of witch were half sunk inot the ground. one dog had its collar grow into its neck. it had skin and fur outside of its collar. one dog sat there vibrating its head all day due to lack of stimulation. i couldnt decided which should be put down first. the dogs, or the verman operatiors of this puppy mill. god damn sometimes i just wanna end someone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I could say a lot about this subject I have been active in voicing my opinion about these mills over the last 4 years. If you want to shut these places down you have to do 2 things one of which is very hard to endure.
First you have to stop buying puppy's from commercial pet stores! (I'm a victim myself)
Second you have to sit by and watch all these dogs suffer and die that don't get bought at the pet shops. It's kind of a Catch 22 but what else is there?
I fell victim to it myself when I got my Beagle "Buddy". My wife melted when she saw him at the local pet store and We caved in and bought him later to find out after I did some research that he came from a Puppy mill in Oklahoma.
After that I spread the word as much as I could have the fact that the store got there dogs from mills. No reputable dog breeder will sell there dogs to pet stores. if you want a purebred dog that's not from a mill and healthy go to a local breeder. My dog has had several health issues in the past 4 years that I believe were attributed to an unhealthy breeding and the conditions he was born in caused a low immune system.
My dog is going to the Vets tomorrow morning because he has a Tumor on the base of his tail that must be removed. He is scheduled for surgery at 8:00am. If I ever ran across one of those bastards that treated those animals the way they do I don't know if I could keep my cool....

John
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's my boy!  Meet "Buddy"
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=12691159&p=47162250&Sequence=0&res[img/]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#17]
A little of topic, but here it goes anyway. I was up on the Appalachian Trail about six years ago camping. It was dark and we had a fire going when we spotted a dog about 50 meters away. We whistled and called to the dog, but the dog would not come over. We latter went to sleep in a tent and I had on end of the tent. Later that night i woke up a realized I had a warm body on either side of me. Thats as HBO as this story gets. So I clearly remember going to sleep with one of my friends to my left but only the tent wall to my right.I pulled out my FN High Power and my minimag. I then nudged the tent and it did not really move. We went outside to see what it was and it was the dog all curled up against the tent for warmth. It was dear season so it was a little cool out. We figured it was a hunters dog that got lost. Luckly there was a collar on the dog. What is funny is that the owners name is Michael Myers. I will always remember the owner, but I don't remember the dogs name. So we fed the dog and called the owner the next day and he was very happy that we found the dog which was indeed lost.Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside when you help someone or something like that.
  I live and Atlanta and have seen two dogs walking down 285 beltway. I stopped to each one without success, but I know I was not the only one to see the dogs. A cop even stopped to ask what I was doing and did not offer to help.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice story..BTW--if that was me and I was out in the middle of the woods and it happened to be October 31st I might have been a little uneasy after reading the owner of the dog off the tag....

John
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Puppy mills are all over this part of Pa., the Amish raise pupa to sell to pet stores.  They treat them like beef steers, which means they are not socialized with humans, and make a difficult dog to say the least.  There will be puppy mills as long as the general public continues to buy pet-store puppies.......
View Quote

Boycott Quaker Oats.

That will teach them a lesson.

Where's Sledgehammer when you need him?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://cx106583-a.phnx3.az.home.com/andyc/images/chase-on-the-rocks.jpg[/img]
This is Chase. He was 8 months old, 45 lbs, and full of parasites when I picked him up at the humane society. He was a stray, and they speculated that he had been dumped on the street by the "family" that bought him at a puppy store when he became bigger than he was cute. He's now 100 lbs, 4 years old, and just about the biggest lap dog you'll ever meet.

-Andy

Edited because I posted the wrong picture at first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:35:34 AM EDT
[#21]
it is obviouse that you all have some wonderfull pets and you love them dearly, it is sad the way some of you met yore friends, but these are some of the happy stories, there are a lot of very sad ones out there too. allways love yore friends, and theyl never let you down.

maby i will meet a friend like this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#22]
[img]http://www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/Dogs%20and%20legs3.jpg[/img]  
My GF's two german shepards, Stone (on the left) is 3 and is dumb as a brick, while Wolfgang is 4, NYPD trained, and pretty smart.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#23]
i'll add my two cents worth here, but only a few sentences. the star ledger of new jersey just did a series of articles about the aspca's here in jersey. seems as tho many chapters are run for the benefit of the local officals. that is, the money was used to help pay their personal house bills. forget the care and feeding of those pets that were entrusted to their care.

second, if you buy anything from the chain of pet stores, you help the puppy mills. unless you go to a breeder that has a good rep. puppymills will always be there.

my second wife came with a daughter and a 6 year old shep mix who was from a mill. her feet show the signs of being cramped in a cage at an early age, toes are all going in different directions. but she has the best heart. i tell shan every day she has to live a long time and be healthy, she is my first line of warning!!! i love my doggie!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top