Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2001 4:40:07 PM EDT
Guess what?

It's 92 degrees in the shade and we're getting another round of rolling blackouts!

Boy, oh boy!!!

Currently block 14 is out. I'm in block 16.
Doing everything we can to conserve (except shutting off the computer). No AC. No daytime laundry. You name it and we're not doing it.

This kind'a sucks.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you find out what block you're in? And can you find out ahead of time if/when your block is getting shut down? [:(]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.,sasquatch.  Guess I won't program my automobile GPS for California anytime soon!  Good luck with the changes in your normal-day lifestyle.  I hope it does not last long.

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
On the first page of your PG&E bill, right about in the middle on the left side below your address, it says rotating outage block.

HEY, I just looked at my bill and now I'm in block 50!!! It was #16 last month.

The only way I know of to track outages is to listen to the news. They're usually on top of it.

If you live in southern CA you probably don't have to worry about it. They seem to concentrate on Nor Cal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
No worries here
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There were rolling blackouts here in SoCal but not where I live. Good thing too, 93+ degrees.  Area's hit are covered by Edison, about 36,000 people from about 4:00-5:00pm. We have GWP in Glendale, so I am not that worried. Yet!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Southern Oklahoma, 79 for a high today and plenty of power, come on over!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Tucson, Arizona here.  Mid 90's today, but it's a [i]dry[/i] heat! [}:D]  And we're selling California all the power we can make.  $$$!!!  (Tucson Electric Power has never been happier!)

C'mon over!  You can visit the PRK whenever you want.  Just leave the liberals behind.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
no black out here but have a generator ready to go.Im sure my neighbors will like the noise.but at least i will have a cold beer and a computer to play with.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
no black out here but have a generator ready to go.Im sure my neighbors will like the noise.but at least i will have a cold beer and a computer to play with.
View Quote

Be careful AR15Robert!  The last thing you want to run on a generator is electricity sensitive equipment.  All generators supply approx. 120Vac.  But this varies quite frequently and you could be getting 110Vac one minute and 125Vac the next.  A spike or a drop in voltage could cause a short or park your hard drive in a crash.  I wouldn't try it!  TV, lights, refrig, radio, etc. should be OK.

-Red-
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
ar15robert - you should invest in a UPS (uninteruptible power supply). It will give you a battery backup and also condition the power from your generator. APC makes very good UPSs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
80 degrees, no black outs, and LA City is selling power to the rest of the state
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang big S, I bet its extra hot for tou wearing that heavy coat and all. Do you shed in the spring? Oh please tell me you don't SHAVE!!! Hey, shouldnt you head up to Canada or something?[:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Staying nice and cool in the Sierras, trees keep the sun off of the house.  Fired up the pellet stove for a couple of hrs. this morning to take the chill off the house.  No rolling black outs in the mtn communities.  We don't use enough power to make it worth while.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone needs a UPS, not just us poor folk in the PRK. Normally, I buy nothing but APC, but the last two Smart-UPS 1400's I bought have been lemons. Last a year and crap out. For over $600 bucks that's a joke. And if it's older than 1 year they replace it with a used UPS of similar age and then that one craps out. APC is NOT what they used to be. Their quality is questionable. Now I'm investigating other manufactures for my future UPS needs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Another reason to leave PRK (as if the liberals weren't enough). Let's kick it out of the US.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Heard the Azusa area was without power between 5:30 and 6:30.

PG&E covers parts of Southern Cal, but not the good parts like South Central, Rampart, East LA.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
why does everone think that if the power goes out for 1 freaking hour that all hell will break loose ?
we've had earthquakes where the power went out days in some circumstances, theres some good peaceful poor people who live in the bad parts of LA, not everyone is a rabid dog waiting for the cage to be left unlocked.

some of the fiction thats ive heard about kalif and LA is pure fantasy in some minds or the gum flapping of people who've never been there
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the generator advice on the computer,at least i will still have have a tv and a cold beer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top