BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How reliable is the Ford? With 89k on an eight year old Ford I would be wondering what repairs it would would need. At least you know your current car and what it may need.

With three kids, I would not like up to give up the safety features in a newer car. Not sure what has changed in the four years but I wooukd think the 2014 has better safety features.

I noticed the snow in the picture and would be concerned about rust. I am in Chicago and rust can be a real big problem.
View Quote
At that age, and in a place with salt on the roads, you are looking at possible major suspension or frame rust.  Things you can't fix yourself, and things your wife unit is not going to want to haul the kids around in.  At that age, the vehicle is in the "hey, did a door just fall off?" territory. Sure, it looks good, but is it?

My suggestion, is know that your repairs are going to cost something and in an escalating curve with that Ford and stick with the van. Suck it up a little more and pay more on the loan. (OR refinance it to a Credit Union as a secured personal loan at lower interest rate. Used car loans may not have the best rate.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I let a local dealer buy back a lease in the middle of the term on a 93 back in 94.  I then drove a 1948 Willys around.  Sometimes it makes sense.  The lease payment back then was quite a burden. I also picked up a 1978 pickup and put in a new engine and trans.  I drove it until 2007.  I think it was a good decision.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Zero rust underneath, almost perfect black undercoating in place. Has curtain airbags. It's the exact same ford as the 2016 safety and boy wise minus the 2014/2015 face lift.
View Quote
So they coated it to cover rust.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Trading that van for that pile of Ford SUV is going to be a major mistake.

Keep the van and sell some guns if you need to get out from under a payment faster. You don't owe much on the van now and it'll most likely be significantly cheaper to own and maintain over the next several years. Keep your family in the safer vehicle and avoid the inevitable issues that the Ford that the government owned will have. Not to mention that it's literally the base model and is way overpriced. Look around the govdeals website to see what these things actually sell for and you'll realize it's nowhere near as good a deal as you WANT to believe it is.

Don't screw your yourself out of a dollar by bending down for a quarter
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Generally being free of car loans and such is a good thing .
Two things wrong with the OPs plan.

1)you pretty much bought into the debt when you bought the mini van . selling it off only buys back a small percentage of that mistake.

2)replacing it with the higher mileage truck is likely to hit you with repairs down the line and operating costs are likely to be higher. Insurance cost could also be higher

Is it possible that you wanting the 4x4 truck over the minivan is clouding the judgement? If you want the truck ,fine,but don't justify it as money savings likely won't work out in the long run.

Work some overtime,get a part time job or squeeze some money from other parts of your budget and pay off the van loan early for the win . Don't forget when the van is paid off to start setting aside some cash for the next vehicle so you don't fall right back into a large loan.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Trading that van for that pile of Ford SUV is going to be a major mistake.

Keep the van and sell some guns if you need to get out from under a payment faster. You don't owe much on the van now and it'll most likely be significantly cheaper to own and maintain over the next several years. Keep your family in the safer vehicle and avoid the inevitable issues that the Ford that the government owned will have. Not to mention that it's literally the base model and is way overpriced. Look around the govdeals website to see what these things actually sell for and you'll realize it's nowhere near as good a deal as you WANT to believe it is.

Don't screw your yourself out of a dollar by bending down for a quarter
View Quote
This is my take. The van works and is reliable. You're looking at a much older, much less reliable vehicle, that is a total unknown. (Is it a flood car from down here?)

I'm not the typical GD person. I can't buy a 10+ year old car and have it run perfectly all the time with minimal to no repair costs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hell no.  In 8 years that Sienna will still be worth something, probably $7,000.  And it will still be perfectly drivable.  In 8 years that Explorer will be ready for the junk yard.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
How are you going to afford the repairs if a $250 car payment is a burden? You're going to put them on the credit card that you paid off after buying that shitty Ford. Then you'll be back in the same situation you are now, with a shitty old Ford. Then you'll be looking to trade it in for something more reliable, like a Sienna. You need to make more money. What were the student loans for, a basket weaving degree?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Paying down debt is seldom a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So we have a 2014 Toyota Sienna 32k miles on it.

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/toyota/sienna/2014/oem/2014_toyota_sienna_passenger-minivan_limited-7-passenger_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Nice ride, but not my type and too much electronic shit. Anyways we still pay $250/mo on it for another 4 years. I miss higher 4x4 SUV's significantly, but with 3 kids we thought we needed it.

Enter a (5 passenger only) 2010 Ford Expedition XLT USDA/PS 4x4 with 89k miles. Price is $12,000. It lacks a 3rd row option, which sucks, however the back row is fine for three kids at the moment. It has weatherproof polymer/plastic flooring so stains would be a non issue. Seems to drive well, no issues 4x4 works fine.

https://images.craigslist.org/00T0T_9dSxXAPQUTe_1200x900.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00N0N_7hEM0J5gBoH_1200x900.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_3EDEawDD1Sf_1200x900.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_9pp5qKGGbls_1200x900.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00z0z_3GTaG6DRKYL_1200x900.jpg

Yes its a downgrade. However if we traded in our van and got high end trade-in value we would walk away with $5K profit to pay off a credit card and a few other things and be free of a car payment. Eliminating almost all my debt besides utilities and mortgage. Wife does like how it drives and would appreciate $350 more in our pocket every month for the next 4 years.

Am I too hasty on this and missing something?
View Quote
the floor looks like that has a 3rd row from the pictures.  regardless, you should be able to find at least a decently optioned xlt with 3rd row in your price range and not look like you bought the most bottom-barrel thing you could find.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I sell fords and I would tell you not to do that deal.

1. You have a super nice van with low miles that does everything you want it to do and has a low payment. You are talking about going backwards 4 year and 60,000 miles. If you drove the van 3 more years it probably wouldn't have the miles on it then that the expedition does now.

2. That is a base expedition. Like a fleet order when it was new. In three years the trade in value on it is going to be shit. The only reason the expedition has such a high sale value is because it has really low miles for the year. Anyone looking for a used one wants third row. Plus its going to get shit for gas mileage.

3. Think about the repairs going forward. The van still has factory warranty. The expedition has nothing. And a 9 year old vehicle with almost 100,000 miles is going to need repairs soon. And they aren't going to be cheap.

4. You say too much electronic shit on the van. You do realize that the electronic shit on newer cars rarely if ever fails right? And the electronic shit is what make the van get decent gas mileage.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

4. You say too much electronic shit on the van. You do realize that the electronic shit on newer cars rarely if ever fails right? And the electronic shit is what make the van get decent gas mileage.
View Quote
Japanese and American cars, sure.  German cars, big f'ing TrumpWRONG.gif.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Debt free is best. Do it. Don't look back.
View Quote
Fpni!

OP, I just jumped on the Dave Ramsey train.

I’m starting to dig my way out of debt & and live free!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I sell fords and I would tell you not to do that deal.

1. You have a super nice van with low miles that does everything you want it to do and has a low payment. You are talking about going backwards 4 year and 60,000 miles. If you drove the van 3 more years it probably wouldn't have the miles on it then that the expedition does now.

2. That is a base expedition. Like a fleet order when it was new. In three years the trade in value on it is going to be shit. The only reason the expedition has such a high sale value is because it has really low miles for the year. Anyone looking for a used one wants third row. Plus its going to get shit for gas mileage.

3. Think about the repairs going forward. The van still has factory warranty. The expedition has nothing. And a 9 year old vehicle with almost 100,000 miles is going to need repairs soon. And they aren't going to be cheap.

Just my .02
View Quote
Yeah, as an old used car guy I've got to agree. Stuffing 3 kids in the back seat of a GSA Expedition isn't the way to keep mama happy in the long term. Not when you have decent late model transportation at n affordable figure now.

While it may be a doable deal, it's not the right deal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I were in your shoes, I'd pay heavy on the Sienna and keep it for a long damn time. It offers reliability, safety, and convenience that the Expedition won't. The only thing that might make me think twice about that is the interest rate.

I'd talk to some Ford guys about the 5.4L and cam phasers before pulling the trigger on that Expedition. You also need to be prepared for a massive penalty in fuel economy. You will probably almost double whatever you're currently spending to feed the Sienna.
View Quote
I'm replacing my cam phasers at 189k only because i guide wore out.  First work it's needed in 13 years and it isn't even a hard job.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd probably keep the van.  However, you could add JY or aftermarket 3rd row seats to Ford if needed down the road as kids get bigger.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
You'll pay about 2x as much in gas for the expedition, and it's not under warranty, and will cost more to maintain.
I assume you are leasing the Minivan?

What about car insurance?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think that the expedition is a horrible idea, but I don't think that the juice is worth the squeeze to do that trade.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How long do you plan on keeping these vehicles? A Ford with 89,000 miles doesn't sound fun.
View Quote
This. I don't know if I'd trade in a low mileage Toyota for a high mileage Ford.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top