Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do I need to post the research that shows that lifting weights for new lifters has the same effect on the heart?

There is very little need for strictly cardio unless you're trying to look like you just escaped from a concentration camp for halloween this year.
View Quote
#sciencelies #cardiodenier #gotojail
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, we got to page four without someone recommending the Keto diet. I think that's a new record.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dumb post. Ignore it.
View Quote
Please tell me your experience with the AX-1 program....
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, we got to page four without someone recommending the Keto diet. I think that's a new record.
View Quote
Well thanks for fucking that up
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb post. Ignore it.
Please tell me your experience with getting stronger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've done both programs so there's that.

Both programs have deadlifts, squats, ohp's, bench, however athlean-x also mixes in sprints and a lot of shoulder/rotator cuff work to keep it healthy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Best advice?  Don't let your ego get to you. Form is everything. Get a few personal training sessions to ensure you learn the correct form for exercises.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I knew someone would go there.  I don't care.  My legs are already big and toned from years of mt. bike and lifting when I was young.  My knees are falling apart though.  I'm saving them for as long as I can (per my orthopedic doctor's instructions).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Don't go too often if you want to build mass. Let your muscles heal before lifting again.  My wife is jealous because I only go to the gym a couple times a week.  No cardio, only upper body workouts.
Well, there is your wife's problem... Married to a "no leg day" husband.

I knew someone would go there.  I don't care.  My legs are already big and toned from years of mt. bike and lifting when I was young.  My knees are falling apart though.  I'm saving them for as long as I can (per my orthopedic doctor's instructions).
Your legs are weak as fuck.  Mountain biking won't do shit for strength.

Before I started power lifting I thought the same thing.  But it turned out I could not squat 225. I could run and mountain bike for hours, but I was weak.

Almost every guy who can't squat due to "bad knees" is simply lazy.  You better have torn ligaments for that excuse.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Both programs have deadlifts, squats, ohp's, bench, however athlean-x also mixes in sprints and a lot of shoulder/rotator cuff work to keep it healthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long did you do SS? What was your starting/ending BW, squat, bench, deadlift, ohp?

ATHLEAN-X sucks for getting stronger. It’s great exercise that makes you feel like you’re doing something, but ineffective at building strength.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How long did you do SS? What was your starting/ending BW, squat, bench, deadlift, ohp?

ATHLEAN-X sucks for getting stronger. It’s great exercise that makes you feel like you’re doing something, but ineffective at building strength.
View Quote
about a year - I don't have the numbers at work but all of my lifts went up as expected on SS. I'm not denying it will make you stronger than athlean-x.

While starting strength is a great program - you won't look like the rock climber the op wants, athlean-x is a better choice for that goal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been lifting weights for almost 9 years and I'm not "bulky".  Very few people are "bulky" and they are probably taking a huge amount of supplements. Don't worry about that.  It's not like you are going to wake up one day and be inflated like a balloon.
You'd be surprised what putting on a little muscle feels like.

Contrary to some posters here, I do think you should do cardio in addition to weights.  Maybe 2x a week.
I either like the Stairmaster or running intervals on the treadmill. You only need 20 minutes of high intensity cardio.
View Quote
Plan on doing a little cardio as well.  We like hiking, and hitting the trails so I still want to have some endurance for those activities.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
about a year - I don't have the numbers at work but all of my lifts went up as expected on SS. I'm not denying it will make you stronger than athlean-x.

While starting strength is a great program - you won't look like the rock climber the op wants, athlean-x is a better choice for that goal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you did SS a year you did not do the program as designed and your numbers did not go up as expected. It’s called STARTING Strength for a reason.

The OP is weak and scrawny. He needs to get stronger first. He doesn’t have to get fat in doing so. Starting Strength is the shortest path to success.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is very little need for strictly cardio unless you're trying to look like you just escaped from a concentration camp for halloween this year.
View Quote
LMFAOOOO!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, the back is the primary place to strengthen.  There also are no shortcuts.  If you haven't lifted in years, you do not have a strong back, and will have to be very careful in slowly strengthening it.  It's a slow process.  You can easily overdo it and injure your back while it is still weak.  Seen it happen many, many times.  I've done it myself.  This is why a starting strength style regimen of basic compound movements is good to begin with - even if you're a scrawny rock climber.  You have core muscles to strengthen before you reach step 2.

Yes, or you can just rock climb and get ripped, I'm sure. But I'm guessing that's a slow process as well, involving a lot of back muscles and grip strength that is not going to magically appear without prior training.
View Quote
Yep, and its easy to do when you're naturally lean, highschool / college age and not working full time.   10+ years off and you'd never know I was lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Plan on doing a little cardio as well.  We like hiking, and hitting the trails so I still want to have some endurance for those activities.  
View Quote
When you are doing a 20-rep squat with 265 on the bar, you don't need any more cardio.  You'll be gasping for breath on the floor after the second set.  LawyerUp mentioned a few ways to completely wreck yourself, and do some strength work at the same time.

You really don't need to do a bunch of running or any other type of cardio, it will simply limit your recovery from the strength training and can be counter productive.  Strength takes a lot of time and work.  A reasonably fit person can go from a untrained to in good cardio condition within 6 weeks.  Strength takes years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you are doing a 20-rep squat with 265 on the bar, you don't need any more cardio.  You'll be gasping for breath on the floor after the second set.  LawyerUp mentioned a few ways to completely wreck yourself, and do some strength work at the same time.

You really don't need to do a bunch of running or any other type of cardio, it will simply limit your recovery from the strength training and can be counter productive.  Strength takes a lot of time and work.  A reasonably fit person can go from a untrained to in good cardio condition within 6 weeks.  Strength takes years.
View Quote
Should be mentioned that he can still go hiking.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Before I started power lifting I thought the same thing.  But it turned out I could not squat 225. I could run and mountain bike for hours, but I was weak.

Almost every guy who can't squat due to "bad knees" is simply lazy.  You better have torn ligaments for that excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Don't go too often if you want to build mass. Let your muscles heal before lifting again.  My wife is jealous because I only go to the gym a couple times a week.  No cardio, only upper body workouts.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep, and its easy to do when you're naturally lean, highschool / college age and not working full time.   10+ years off and you'd never know I was lol
View Quote
I went 10 years behind a desk and have been there.  What got me turned around was crossfit.  All around conditioning with basic lifts included.  It was good for that period of my life.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Uh. I can say with 100% certainty that your legs aren’t strong if you aren’t lifting. You may think they are, but that would be a flawed way of thinking. So sorry. I will weep for you as I lie in bed tonight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bro. Musklez aint bad!

Get it though your head. Lifting builds tons of endurance. Being strong or building muscle doesn't hurt endurance. It really helps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Uh. I can say with 100% certainty that your legs aren’t strong if you aren’t lifting. You may think they are, but that would be a flawed way of thinking. So sorry. I will weep for you as I lie in bed tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'll rest comfortably tonight knowing that people online are so worried about my leg strength.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll rest comfortably tonight knowing that people online are so worried about my leg strength.  Thank you.
View Quote
You are mistaken. Not leg strength. Leg weakness. We are worried about you being weak.

Stop being weak.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are mistaken. Not leg strength. Leg weakness. We are worried about you being weak.

Stop being weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop being weak.
Thanks for your thoughts on my legs too.  Don't worry yourself too much.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bro. Musklez aint bad!

Get it though your head. Lifting builds tons of endurance. Being strong or building muscle doesn't hurt endurance. It really helps.
View Quote
I don’t have any doubts I need strength training and it’s where I’m definitely starting, so fear not.  I do have doubts that it’s the sole miracle cure for all things fitness.  Why would the armed forces make people run, ruck, and even swim if solely adding more weight to your 5x5 solves all?  Not trying to be a smart ass, I just still see value in other exercises
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don’t have any doubts I need strength training and it’s where I’m definitely starting, so fear not.  I do have doubts that it’s the sole miracle cure for all things fitness.  Why would the armed forces make people run, ruck, and even swim if solely adding more weight to your 5x5 solves all?  Not trying to be a smart ass, I just still see value in other exercises
View Quote
No, you're right. The army's standard of physical fitness is a paragon of logic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, you're right. The army's standard of physical fitness is a paragon of logic.
View Quote

Fair point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro. Musklez aint bad!

Because body weight work is cheap, and they need to train for specificity.

Could you imagine the injury rate and total cost of equipment if they had everyone in basic line up for strict presses, vs just making everyone strap on a pack and do pushups until they puke.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#28]
This thread is frikkin awesome. Thank you op. Thank you so much.

For your goals I would humbly recommend the following:

Start one of the two 5x5 programs previously mentioned. Run it until you have to reset a few times or get bored out of your mind. The point here is to learn the lifts, build a healthy foundation for the next phase, and realize that your discomfort from being a desk jockey has disappeared.

Phase 2. Reevaluate your goals. If you discover you really like the strength game start 5/3/1. If you kind of like the strength game but aren’t seeing the results you want go 5/3/1 BBB(this will make sense later) after a cycle or two or three of regular 5/3/1. If you don’t really care about your strength numbers go get your testosterone checked because you started menapause. Just kidding... sort of. If you want to focus on asthetics, go for it. There are tons of bodybuilding programs and now you have the foundation to see real progress without looking like a lopsided pile of disproportionate garbage.

Step 3. Congratulations you made it a few years and probably don’t need a whole lot of general advice.

Body composition is going to be determined by a few things but for the sake of simplicity and all other things being equal it is determined by food. You already know what you eat and that has kept your weight down. You have displayed no interest in bulking. You will need more calories and nutrients moving forward with lifting. Eat more protein. Do whatever you do now and just add some protein. But what is an easy way to do that? Add a protein shake with 2 scoops(or however much you want) after you lift and another 50 grams somewhere else. Easy. As you get more advanced you can dial in your nutrition for more specific goals.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I love these threads.

OP if you do anything other than SS or 5x5 you are completely missing the boat on purpose and deserve to remain skinny fat for life.

Anyone who tells you to do otherwise (than above) absolutely has no idea what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Start with a note book. Write down your weight first day and weights for your first three work outs. If you can space it out. Monday (push) chest, shoulders, tricepts. Wednesday (legs) everything legs. Friday (pull) back traps and bis. Write down exercise, sets, reps, weight. Try to do 30 minutes a day cardio. Running brings out abs faster, but walking on an incline burns more calories and less joint pain. Try to only get on a scale once a month. A rep here and ther or a 2.5 pounds on the bar here and there adds up, keep track. Take a multi vitamin, drink water. Have fun dont make it a chore or you wont enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#31]
P90x and WII fit will get you big, leaner and stronger then anything else posted in here. Cant recommend it enough.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Start one of the two 5x5 programs previously mentioned. Run it until you have to reset a few times or get bored out of your mind. The point here is to learn the lifts, build a healthy foundation for the next phase, and realize that your discomfort from being a desk jockey has disappeared.

Phase 2. Reevaluate your goals. If you discover you really like the strength game start 5/3/1. If you kind of like the strength game but aren’t seeing the results you want go 5/3/1 BBB(this will make sense later) after a cycle or two or three of regular 5/3/1. If you don’t really care about your strength numbers go get your testosterone checked because you started menapause. Just kidding... sort of. If you want to focus on asthetics, go for it. There are tons of bodybuilding programs and now you have the foundation to see real progress without looking like a lopsided pile of disproportionate garbage.

Step 3. Congratulations you made it a few years and probably don’t need a whole lot of general advice.

Body composition is going to be determined by a few things but for the sake of simplicity and all other things being equal it is determined by food. You already know what you eat and that has kept your weight down. You have displayed no interest in bulking. You will need more calories and nutrients moving forward with lifting. Eat more protein. Do whatever you do now and just add some protein. But what is an easy way to do that? Add a protein shake with 2 scoops(or however much you want) after you lift and another 50 grams somewhere else. Easy. As you get more advanced you can dial in your nutrition for more specific goals.
View Quote
Starting exactly there. Have a 1 on 1 session set up Thursday to learn the ropes.   Once I get my strength up I will decide where I want to take it, but I understand it is absolutely where I need to start.

Setting up the 1 on 1 session was more to get down proper form than anything else.  I've injured my back in the past, and really dont want to fuck it up again going in thinking I know what I'm doing because I watched a youtube video lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been doing 5x5 3 times a week since September. Plus a cardio program since last April.

I've lost over 50lbs since I got a scale in June.  From my peak, I think I'm down 80lbs.

5x5 works. It helps you figure out where you need to build strength and where you're okay at other wise. I'm steady squatting about 300lbs and comfortable. Where as I can't break over 220 on bench.

Beyond that it's toning everything out evenly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Starting exactly there. Have a 1 on 1 session set up Thursday to learn the ropes.   Once I get my strength up I will decide where I want to take it, but I understand it is absolutely where I need to start.

Setting up the 1 on 1 session was more to get down proper form than anything else.  I've injured my back in the past, and really dont want to fuck it up again going in thinking I know what I'm doing because I watched a youtube video lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good stuff. I would check out some of the videos/youtubers mentioned in this thread before going into the training session though. You are right for not thinking you can be an expert by watching videos, but as already warned, the vast majority of personal trainers are really bad. So going in with base knowledge is a good thing.

As you get it all fired up come over to the sd&f forum and start a thread or join in on one. You can get a lot of good feedback if you video your lifts. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Where in TX are you located?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

One year ago I had a skiing “accident” and tore my MCL and PCL and had an AC joint separation.

I’m 3 months into a 5x5 program now.

I agree that “I can’t squat” guys are just lazy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Cardio:

I do a short (20 min) HIIT session on a rower on the mornings of my 5x5 days. (I lift early evening) My rest days are 100% rest.

To get warmed up for lifting I do 12 minutes of progressive “cardio” on the stairmill

2 mins each:
30 steps per minute

By the time I’m done with that, my HR is about 135

Then I do 10 “around the world” medicine ball slams to get my core stretched and my hips and shoulders loose.

Then I lift.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This, but if you've never even stepped foot in the gym it might be worth paying for a month of personal training. Having someone teach you basic lifts and watch your form would be money well spent towards remaining injury and bad habit free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just do Starting Strength or Stronglifts
This, but if you've never even stepped foot in the gym it might be worth paying for a month of personal training. Having someone teach you basic lifts and watch your form would be money well spent towards remaining injury and bad habit free.
Both of the above ^
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
P90x and WII fit will get you big, leaner and stronger then anything else posted in here. Cant recommend it enough.
View Quote
Better than that is juicing via the nipples on Thorsday(Thursday)
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't like the gym. It's full of meathead shitstains and smoking hot distracting ladies. I hate having to conjur up my own workout and I don't like doing the same boring ass routine over and over then have to think up some other new workout. Laugh at me all you want, but that's why I started doing Cf. I don't have to think about shit, it's always different, and everyone at my gym is super cool. I am waaaay stronger than I was before and I look a lot better too. I've seen a lot of fatties come through, most quit but one older gal has lost 70lbs. Crazy. If all you're interested in is curls for the girls and getting a new max everyday then by all means, a conventional gym is for you
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't like the gym. It's full of meathead shitstains and smoking hot distracting ladies. I hate having to conjur up my own workout and I don't like doing the same boring ass routine over and over then have to think up some other new workout. Laugh at me all you want, but that's why I started doing Cf. I don't have to think about shit, it's always different, and everyone at my gym is super cool. I am waaaay stronger than I was before and I look a lot better too. I've seen a lot of fatties come through, most quit but one older gal has lost 70lbs. Crazy. If all you're interested in is curls for the girls and getting a new max everyday then by all means, a conventional gym is for you
View Quote
CrossFit makes you weak. The only thing worse is cardio.

#fitscience
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I won't laugh at you for crossfit.  The average crossiftter is stronger and more skilled at powerlifting and weightlifting (Olympic style) than the average guy by far.  Take some dude off the street and stick him in a squat rack and he's going to fall over before he ever does a bodyweight squat correctly.  He wouldn't be capable of a light deadlift or even more than 20 pushups.

Take an average crossfitter and he's going to be comfortable in a squat rack, can toss his lawn mower into the back of a truck without hurting himself, can jog around coaching kids soccer, can overhead squat (a pinnacle of mobility imo) and rip out a few burpees without breathing hard.

Crossfit gets a bad name only from the people who don't do it and are looking for reasons to justify their fatness.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

#fitscience
View Quote
LOL, was typing at the same time.  Slightly different message, lol.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And, it's free online.  
View Quote
Don’t be that guy. Buy the book and buy Practical Programming as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#45]
5'11" and a buck 60?....... Shit.......please.

Sounds like your a hard gainer. I'm the same height, and my fighting weight is 220-225........

You could be like Bradley M. It will take about 3-4 years, lifting 5-6 days a week, no less than three muscle movements, and to failure. Plus you're going to need to eat about 240 grams a day worth of chicken breast, steak, or fish. And, eat a big bowl of oatmeal about 1.5 hours before you lift.

I can get to 255 in 5-6 months by being fat and lazy. Still wear 38-40 waist. However, I can get back to 220 and have chesticles and slight abs in 3 months.

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum. I'll never be a buck 60. I looked like an Ethiopian at 175 in my high school pictures. With discipline and nutrition, I could be a lean 250-260 in a few years. Maybe 3 or so. Lifting everyday is a fuck ton of work.

TL:DR You need some cardio. You need some resistance training, whatever that may be 2-3x per week. Eat at least your weight grams to pounds in quality protein of whatever form. Learn to like fruits, veggies, rice and oatmeal at an equivalent gram/body weight ratio and go enjoy life. Stop worrying about what you're not. A healthy whatever weight is better than unhealthy at any weight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you follow Starting Strength to a T you WILL get fat, Mark even tells you that in the book.  The OP said he wants lean.

GOMAD = not lean.

ETA:  I am not questioning the merits of Starting Strength.  I'm questioning why y'all are recommending it to the OP when it doesn't suit his goals?

His goals are not your goals.
View Quote
“Lean” is a function of diet, not training. Since OP is starting out as a novice, he needs to go through his novice linear progression. OP, do not rob yourself of your potential by not eating enough. Do you need to drink a gallon of milk a day like a skinny 18 year old? No, but at 5’11” and 160lbs, you’re a little under weight. If you do the program correctly, you will gain 15-20 lbs, 80% of which will be lean muscle mass, in 6 months and your strength will 3-4x and look like a beast. Once you’re off your LP, then you can start thinking about titrating down the calories.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

“Lean” is a function of diet, not training. Since OP is starting out as a novice, he needs to go through his novice linear progression. OP, do not rob yourself of your potential by not eating enough. Do you need to drink a gallon of milk a day like a skinny 18 year old? No, but at 5’11” and 160lbs, you’re a little under weight. If you do the program correctly, you will gain 15-20 lbs, 80% of which will be lean muscle mass, in 6 months and your strength will 3-4x and look like a beast. Once you’re off your LP, then you can start thinking about titrating down the calories.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

#fitscience
View Quote
Thank you for validating my point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Meh, I did a 315 back squat and 425 lb deadlift before I ever started training those exercises. Strong is relative.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Meh, I did a 315 back squat and 425 lb deadlift before I ever started training those exercises. Strong is relative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of which is strong.

ETA: Especially if you were/are “big-boned”.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top