Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did anyone read the rest of my post where I said I did weight training also?

The other poster mentioned muscle confusion which is very true. It's important to switch up the routine every 4-6 weeks because your body adapts and the gains stop showing up. I'm simply telling the OP that instead of going into the gym for his first time and banging weights out every day, it may be good to ease into it with a little bit of everything. There is nothing wrong with weight training and body training. Do both and your body will feel great.
View Quote
LoL.  Muscle confusion.  The strongest men in the world managed to get that way without muscle confusion, so it is probably not necessary for us mere mortals to change it up every 4-6 weeks

That is actually called CHP (chronic program hopping) and is the mark of the person that does not squat enough
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
early 30's 5'11" and about 160lbs. Not overweight at all
View Quote
yeah, no shit!

Starting strength is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
5x5 or starting strength.

if you want you can do a little cardio
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LoL.  Muscle confusion.  The strongest men in the world managed to get that way without muscle confusion, so it is probably not necessary for us mere mortals to change it up every 4-6 weeks

That is actually called CHP (chronic program hopping) and is the mark of the person that does not squat enough
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other poster mentioned muscle confusion which is very true. It's important to switch up the routine every 4-6 weeks because your body adapts and the gains stop showing up. I'm simply telling the OP that instead of going into the gym for his first time and banging weights out every day, it may be good to ease into it with a little bit of everything. There is nothing wrong with weight training and body training. Do both and your body will feel great.

I started lifting my old engineering textbooks. My muscles got so confused. 100 lb PR in 1 week.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maybe to an extent.  She had one girl who was finally on board with trying to lift.  This girls is in her twenties and she had a bf% of around 35.  She was texting my wife one night after she had lifted and my wife was trying to be encouraging.  The girl said she was gonna start really enjoying lifting because she could finally eat all the carbs she wanted now.  My wife tried to politely tell her yeah carbs were good but you need to pair good carbs with a protein. That was a year ago; shes still fat.
View Quote
Oh, I know a girl just like that. Utilizes working out as a tool that just allows her to eat more. Getting fatter...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. Even if you don't follow that exact program, start with reading the book.
View Quote
Indeed.

Explains the novice effect, linear progression, and other important things in an entertaining way. Even if you don't decide to go full powerlifter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Blasphemer!

If you can watch yourself in the mirror, you aren’t lifting correctly. Or heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did just fine. Reading Starting Strength. As have thousands of others. Alone. In my garage/basement. Without spotters. Only video. It worked. Amazing.

I’m pretty fucking smart though.
A mirror can be your best workout buddy.
Blasphemer!

If you can watch yourself in the mirror, you aren’t lifting correctly. Or heavy.
Kaikfit requires you to look deeply into your own eyes while working out wearing nothing but silkies.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Blasphemer!

View Quote
So tell me, how does one know they are doing a proper bench press without the mirror?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You have to eat a lot to gain weight, why not do an actual 3 or 4 day lifting program and eat like a horse if you want to bulk up?

6 days a week is unsustainable for most people, it just beats you up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm like you 5'11" 155lbs. Tried bulking up by banging weights 6 days a week but it's hard for me to put on that bulk without eating constantly and I was always tired.
You have to eat a lot to gain weight, why not do an actual 3 or 4 day lifting program and eat like a horse if you want to bulk up?

you also don't gain muscle by exercising you gain it by recovering from exercise. 6 days a week doesn't give your body a chance to heal
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you follow Starting Strength to a T you WILL get fat, Mark even tells you that in the book.  The OP said he wants lean.

GOMAD = not lean.

ETA:  I am not questioning the merits of Starting Strength.  I'm questioning why y'all are recommending it to the OP when it doesn't suit his goals?

His goals are not your goals.
View Quote
Get strong, then trade GOMAD for Water. increase cardio. do reps of tens instead of 5s.

If It could do it over I would basically do the novice program until I platued and instead of doing the Texas method after would basically start doing the crossfit (football) stuff. with an occasional run.

Hindsight being 20/20
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So tell me, how does one know they are doing a proper bench press without the mirror?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemer!

Noted exception. I always bench press while looking in a mirror.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get strong, then trade GOMAD for Water. increase cardio. do reps of tens instead of 5s.

If It could do it over I would basically do the novice program until I platued and instead of doing the Texas method after would basically start doing the crossfit (football) stuff. with an occasional run.

Hindsight being 20/20
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you follow Starting Strength to a T you WILL get fat, Mark even tells you that in the book.  The OP said he wants lean.

GOMAD = not lean.

ETA:  I am not questioning the merits of Starting Strength.  I'm questioning why y'all are recommending it to the OP when it doesn't suit his goals?

His goals are not your goals.

Hindsight being 20/20
It’s not too late to get strong.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
All sorts of gainz²
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to lift hard and compete in high school.

Because of life and other injuries I haven't really lifted since.  35 now with both rotator cuffs torn, a shattered elbow from when I was a kid, and both knees getting ready to need replacement.

So I'm sticking to upper body only and only machines for a long time while doing 21s to help avoid injury.  I really, really like 21s.  Lets you get a lot of reps in but keep the weight up too.  And I'm seeing some good gains already after going 5-6 a month since December.

It has really helped my torn rotator cuffs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you also don't gain muscle by exercising you gain it by recovering from exercise. 6 days a week doesn't give your body a chance to heal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm like you 5'11" 155lbs. Tried bulking up by banging weights 6 days a week but it's hard for me to put on that bulk without eating constantly and I was always tired.

I think a crappy trap that people fall into is working out too much right at the beginning, seeing progress, and then thinking when things slow down that they need to add more to have it happen again.

When I finally decided to take things seriously I was doing high volume Upper/Lower 5-6 days a week with dumbbells and weighted bodyweight stuff. Basically tons of dips, pullups, inverted rows, squats, lunges, curls, just a ridiculous amount of stuff.

I started eating a ton along with it and of course started to get a little muscle.

That ended pretty quick though and I though "Shit, I'm not doing enough" so I did more. Ended up with sore elbows and shoulders and a pile of fat on my belly.

By the time I decided to quit being stupid I had a barbell and a rack. Fewer movements, with a sensible progression built in, and lots of rest, along with food, and bam, started getting bigger again.

I was nearly 30 by the time this happened. I wish I could take what I know now and go back to when I was in college, with unlimited food in the dining hall and gym access 24/7, and actually do something productive.

It would have been so easy to get 60-90 minutes in the gym 4 days a week back then (it's pretty easy now with kids and life), the big difference would be that my hormone levels were probably higher, and I was allowed to sleep as much as I wanted, I regularly got 10 hours a night.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Don't go too often if you want to build mass. Let your muscles heal before lifting again.  My wife is jealous because I only go to the gym a couple times a week.  No cardio, only upper body workouts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasphemer!

You're supposed to put the bench mirror on the ceiling so you can yell at yourself when you hit your sticking point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're supposed to put the bench mirror on the ceiling so you can yell at yourself when you hit your sticking point.
View Quote
Wrong The bench moves to the vertical position. Mirrors are on the walls
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1

Don't go too often if you want to build mass. Let your muscles heal before lifting again.  My wife is jealous because I only go to the gym a couple times a week.  No cardio, only upper body workouts.
View Quote
Well, there is your wife's problem... Married to a "no leg day" husband.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Lift $hit up and put it down, chest, arms, back, shoulder, legs, or chest tri, back bi, legs etc...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I knew someone would go there.  I don't care.  My legs are already big and toned from years of mt. bike and lifting when I was young.  My knees are falling apart though.  I'm saving them for as long as I can (per my orthopedic doctor's instructions).
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Being hunched over a desk, drafting table, etc etc wears on the back, and im tired of feeling old.
View Quote
Bottom line your back is always something you want to be strong as fuck. Lean vs bulk, is meaningless here---Strong as you can make it. Whether its just to improve posture, get healthy, or deadlift a bulldozer, the back needs to be strong.

without even looking at you I will tell you that you have rounded shoulders from a tight chest, poor posture and your chin sticks out. Why?? because thats how 99.9 percent of the population is now.

You don't got to do starting strength and become a milk drikning fatty like myself, but get your back strong.

(NASM-CPT checking in)
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not really looking to get bulk... see the op, and the post a couple about this one.
View Quote
I've been lifting weights for almost 9 years and I'm not "bulky".  Very few people are "bulky" and they are probably taking a huge amount of supplements. Don't worry about that.  It's not like you are going to wake up one day and be inflated like a balloon.
You'd be surprised what putting on a little muscle feels like.

Contrary to some posters here, I do think you should do cardio in addition to weights.  Maybe 2x a week.
I either like the Stairmaster or running intervals on the treadmill. You only need 20 minutes of high intensity cardio.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I’m looking up when I do bench. So I put mine on the ceiling. I also bench press naked.

#liftbigsecrets
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did 6 days then was feeling taxed. Heard great things about 5x5 so I tried that out and loved it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said you were hitting the weights 6 days a week before you changed it up?

5x5 is 3 days a week.
I did 6 days then was feeling taxed. Heard great things about 5x5 so I tried that out and loved it.
5x5 does change. you don't have to worry about muscle confusion you just add more weight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been lifting weights for almost 9 years and I'm not "bulky".  Very few people are "bulky" and they are probably taking a huge amount of supplements. Don't worry about that.  It's not like you are going to wake up one day and be inflated like a balloon.

Contrary to some posters here, I do think you should do cardio.  Maybe 2x a week.
I either like the Stairmaster or running intervals on the treadmill. You only need 20 minutes of high intensity cardio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not really looking to get bulk... see the op, and the post a couple about this one.

Contrary to some posters here, I do think you should do cardio.  Maybe 2x a week.
Why do you recommend cardio? To a scrawny novice?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I fuckin love GD fitness threads.

Muscle confusion. LOL.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yah. I don't get that. He needs to eat more protein and lift.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because it's important for overall health? Because it's good for your metabolism?
You can easily get gassed on big sets of squats, and doing more squats isn't the answer.  Cardio provides important balance to your workout routine. A lot of "weights only" people have terrible cardio.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's an idea.

Want musculature useful for climbing? Climb.

Want a body suited to grappling/fighting? Grapple

Want a body suited to lifting bars full of steel weights? Go to a gym and pick up heavy stuff.

How far up the rock face do you think the muscle bound guy is gonna get, compared to the first picture?
View Quote
As a weightlifter that has been to Mountain Warfare School 3 times (to include a month in Assault Climber school) I can tell you that having a fair amount of muscle mass + decent technique put me in the top 3 climbers in the company of about 80-100 Marines. Yes, at the pro level the extra weight will hurt you. For everything else, more strength is more better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Muscle confusion. LOL.
View Quote
I'm trying to figure out how muscle confusion works. So, instead of doing Bench press, you put the bar on the ground and do pushups on it? do your pullups upside down? Do situps underwater?

Maybe instead of doing rows, you could sit backwards on the bench and do cable pushes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Muscle confusion. LOL.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bottom line your back is always something you want to be strong as fuck. Lean vs bulk, is meaningless here---Strong as you can make it. Whether its just to improve posture, get healthy, or deadlift a bulldozer, the back needs to be strong.

without even looking at you I will tell you that you have rounded shoulders from a tight chest, poor posture and your chin sticks out. Why?? because thats how 99.9 percent of the population is now.

You don't got to do starting strength and become a milk drikning fatty like myself, but get your back strong.

(NASM-CPT checking in)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being hunched over a desk, drafting table, etc etc wears on the back, and im tired of feeling old.

(NASM-CPT checking in)
Yes, the back is the primary place to strengthen.  There also are no shortcuts.  If you haven't lifted in years, you do not have a strong back, and will have to be very careful in slowly strengthening it.  It's a slow process.  You can easily overdo it and injure your back while it is still weak.  Seen it happen many, many times.  I've done it myself.  This is why a starting strength style regimen of basic compound movements is good to begin with - even if you're a scrawny rock climber.  You have core muscles to strengthen before you reach step 2.

Yes, or you can just rock climb and get ripped, I'm sure.  But I'm guessing that's a slow process as well, involving a lot of back muscles and grip strength that is not going to magically appear without prior training.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how muscle confusion works. So, instead of doing Bench press, you put the bar on the ground and do pushups on it? do your pullups upside down? Do situps underwater?

Maybe instead of doing rows, you could sit backwards on the bench and do cable pushes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muscle confusion. LOL.

I ask my muscles math problems while I lift. They are always confused.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But I’m looking up when I do bench. So I put mine on the ceiling. I also bench press naked.

#liftbigsecrets
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
P90X.  It works.
View Quote
Here's a fun fact.

Maren from the Chest & Back video was in multiple porn shoots.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because it's important for overall health? Because it's good for your metabolism?
You can easily get gassed on big sets of squats, and doing more squats isn't the answer.  Cardio provides important balance to your workout routine. A lot of "weights only" people have terrible cardio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Getting stronger increases work capacity. For a novice, getting stronger is all he needs. At some point, typically later in his novice progression he may need to add “cardio”...such as prowler work or rowing (low impact HIIT so as to not affect recovery).

Cardio is easy to acquire. Strength is not. Take advantage of the newb gainZ.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've found that high enough volume weightlifting will actually keep cardio at an "ok" level. I'm a shitty runner but was running 22-23 minute 3 miles while not doing ANY cardio at all, but I was in the gym lifting for 1.5-2 hours a day. Most people aren't going to lift that long and that intensely though (I'm not saying you shouldn't do cardio BTW)
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muscle confusion. LOL.

If muscle confusion is where you think you're getting laid, but then you don't, I have a very extreme case of muscle confusion.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here's a fun fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
P90X.  It works.
Here's a fun fact.

Before I get excited...I’d “Maren” male or female?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Not even a mention about a gym girlfriend in 3 pages
Priorities are all wrong
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not even a mention about a gym girlfriend in 3 pages
Priorities are all wrong
View Quote
*BRAKING!!!

I have a gym gf now. She let me touch her butt and her boobs last night. It was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Its a small place, but they have a bit of both.
View Quote
Personally... When you're brand new, I always recommend starting with building your cardio... Walking (leading to running), cycling, stair climbers, swimming if available.  You can sling some weights if you want, but focus on building your heart rate, stamina, etc.  Once your stamina is up (assuming it will be pretty low at first).. It's much easier to go in, warm up with a few cardio exercises (again, walking, biking, etc..) then start slinging weights.  If you're trying to sling weights on your first day and you're nearly passing out because your stamina sucks... seems kinda pointless to me.

That's how I've always talked to people I knew who were new to going to the gym, and it seemed to work for them.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Personally... When you're brand new, I always recommend starting with building your cardio... Walking (leading to running), cycling, stair climbers, swimming if available.  You can sling some weights if you want, but focus on building your heart rate, stamina, etc.  Once your stamina is up (assuming it will be pretty low at first).. It's much easier to go in, warm up with a few cardio exercises (again, walking, biking, etc..) then start slinging weights.  If you're trying to sling weights on your first day and you're nearly passing out because your stamina sucks... seems kinda pointless to me.

That's how I've always talked to people I knew who were new to going to the gym, and it seemed to work for them.

YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a small place, but they have a bit of both.

YMMV.
I've been doing this a while. I started with cardio-running- like most people. At my best I ran a 3:40 marathon and an 18:47 3 mile, and was 5'9" and 170# of chewed bubblegum. I could run ok, but I was weak as fuck.

Then I hit the weights, eventually pretty much gave up on cardio and am MUCH better for it. Cardio is easy to build. Give me a month and I could run a decent 3 mile again. Strength is HARD. IMO starting with cardio doesn't make much sense. It's time consuming and the results are pretty limited to be honest. I've seen, by FAR, the best results in myself and others with a focus on getting strong and then a bit of cardio on the side.

Cardio will not 'prep' you for weightlifting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been pretty happy with Athlean-x AX1

That would get you closer to the rock climbing pic than starting strength

https://athleanx.com/
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote
Do I need to post the research that shows that lifting weights for new lifters has the same effect on the heart?

There is very little need for strictly cardio unless you're trying to look like you just escaped from a concentration camp for halloween this year.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've been pretty happy with Athlean-x AX1

That would get you closer to the rock climbing pic than starting strength

https://athleanx.com/
View Quote
Dumb post. Ignore it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've been doing this a while. I started with cardio-running- like most people. At my best I ran a 3:40 marathon and an 18:47 3 mile, and was 5'9" and 170# of chewed bubblegum. I could run ok, but I was weak as fuck.

Then I hit the weights, eventually pretty much gave up on cardio and am MUCH better for it. Cardio is easy to build. Give me a month and I could run a decent 3 mile again. Strength is HARD. IMO starting with cardio doesn't make much sense. It's time consuming and the results are pretty limited to be honest. I've seen, by FAR, the best results in myself and others with a focus on getting strong and then a bit of cardio on the side.

Cardio will not 'prep' you for weightlifting.
View Quote
Yeah cardio sucks.  If you want to do cardio, check out soflete workouts.  Did one where you press a barbell at 95# I think, then hold at lockout for a period of time, then press, then lockout, then press, then lockout.  Was awful.  Or try manmakers with dumbbells, combined with some sprinting.  Awful.  Or pick up a kettlebell and go 7 minutes of kb swings.  Every time you put the kb down, you have to do 7 burpees, or pushups.  Or, pick up 2 kettlebells and walk a mile.  I could go on.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
LOL not a woman.  Magnum i suppose just wishes.  I just want to get back in shape and have more energy after a day stuck behind a computer.  Thankfully I dont need to lose a bunch of weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is a woman.

Trust me, you won't get that big without trying really hard.  Get your ass in the gym and get stronger.  Stop worrying about "getting bulky."

You will feel better and look better.
I didn't realize OP was a woman, but the advise is the same.  My wife has had amazing results from a year of just strength training before she got into crossfit.  She is in better physical condition at 43 than she's ever been in her life.

Women really should lift, it does wonders for them.
LOL not a woman.  Magnum i suppose just wishes.  I just want to get back in shape and have more energy after a day stuck behind a computer.  Thankfully I dont need to lose a bunch of weight.
Women say all the time "I just want to be toned.  I don't want look like a MAN."
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top