BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From Ringos facebook

Soooo...
Further reporting, such as it is, on the Dair Ezzor Turkey Shoot.
1. Sov... err... Russians built a bridge over the Euphrates which was the designated 'deconfliction line'. Why? Reasons. 'Commite of Nations' or something.
2. 'Hybrid' force of mixed Russian contractors including multiple non-ethnic Russians (Serbs, Kossack, other non Slavics) as well as local Syrian Army
'commandos' attacked across temporary bridge. The 'Russian' side were 'Blackwater' equivalent mercenaries from a company generally called 'Wagner'
which is the nom de plume of the boss. (Like if you called Blackwater 'Prince'.)
3. Unit was partially mechanized, battalion strength. (One thing everyone agrees upon is 'about 600-700 personnel.') Had some towed artillery as well
as 't-55 and T-72 MBT as well as armored personnel carriers.' (Type unknown.) Full on 'we're taking that position and you're not stopping us' full court press.
4. Unit crossed bridge, arty deployed.
5. Arty opened fire while most of unit was still in approach column formation. (Normal) One portion moved to flanking positions.
5A. Minute the arty opened fire SHIT GOT REAL REAL QUICK.
6. Reapers took out artillery and most of armor with Hellfire. From the few videos, pretty much before they knew what hit them. There had to be quite a few Reaper drones up or they were feeding guidance to Hellfire from Apaches (see below.)
7. F-15E Eagles came in for clean-up and to check for anti-air defenses.
8. Warthogs showed up just to go BRRRRRRT!
9. AC-130 Spectre started fucking up their day for the hell of it.
10. To add insult to injury, B-52s which, you know, just HAPPENED to be in the area, just minding our own business, just passing by from Diego Garcia which is a few thousand miles away, on our way to... somewhere... nothing to see here... decided to prove they could drop their entire load as precision guided weapons and just more or less DID A JDAM ARCLIGHT ON THEIR ASS. At that point, more or less because CENTCOM said 'Why not? ARCLIGHT is always pretty to watch...'
11. The whole thing being so over it was ridiculous, AH-64 Apaches basically did 'hostile Bomb Damage Assessment' and complained there were no targets left.
12. Oh, and then the Kurds, to just really FUCK with these guys, released water from a dam upstream and broke their bridge. So they had to ford back with their wounded.
13. Nobody knows how many dead and wounded. Russians are saying 'only 8 Russian citizens' but that doesn't quite cover the whole of who may have been involved. One repeated number is 200 dead (remember, mixed Syrians, Russians and other ethnics) as well as pretty much the rest of the force wounded. (Not to mention pretty thoroughly demoralized.) One Kurd wounded. Probably fell off a stool laughing to tell truth.
14. Military hospitals in Russia are reliably reported 'overflowing.'
This was much less a 'battle' than a message. Towards the end we had to just be pounding ground to make sure they got it.
Messages, really.
A. Don't fucking cross that river.
B. Hey, North Korea! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!
C. Hey, Putin, about Donbas... This is what we can do to your 'freedom fighters' (AKA: mercenaries) at any time.
D. To everyone in general: You need to remember who's boss.
Mattis is playing dumb. 'What Russians? There were Russians? Really? I'm seeing that in the media but I got no briefing on there being Russians in that column. Our bad. Sorry about that.'
Then there's the fact that the strike was NOT approved by the President.
Because he gave CENTOM the approval on things like that.
And CENTCOM handled it like a BOSS.
Oh, and when the forces crossed the river the Russians were informed and informed that we intended to take 'self-defense' actions.
So they can't even say they weren't warned.
I'm not sure we warned them we'd be using BUFF.
This is more the sort of thing I'd expect in late summer.
'Shit! We haven't expended our budget! Are there any Russians we can fuck up very badly with all these unexpended munitions?'
Last thought: It had to be shitty being on the receiving end of that.
View Quote
I've no doubt that asses were kicked that day, but something about this retelling smacks of creative license.

Practically every combat aircraft we have making its own cameo appearance, like characters in the intro to a fighting game?

All that airpower wasn't able to destroy a shitty bridge, they needed mother nature's help?  Somehow even that didn't wipe out this force, they were still able to cross a now flooded river that was powerful enough to destroy a bridge?

Maybe I'm just overly skeptical but this sounds a lot like a fiction writer's imagination of what could be rather than what actually happened.  Hope I'm wrong cuz it definitely gets the 'murica boner up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So they guy who was just indicted by US DOJ hacks is also the one who allegedly has ties to Wagner?

Interesting....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my problem with this whole thing:

What military commander in 2018 organizes 2 Battalion-sized battle groups, including dozens of armored vehicles, artillery, and men.....

.....without any airpower, then say....sends them against the most capable Combined Forces Empire in the world?

I mean, we have F-22As eagerly searching the sky looking to turn anything that flies into scrap metal, with F-15Es, AC-130s, AH-64Ds, Reapers, and freaking B-52s-all loaded with decades-proven precision guided munitions, running racetracks waiting to unleash hell.

Who would purposely send hundreds of men to their deaths like this, and for what reason?

We can rule military victory out right off the bat, unless we're dealing with pure idiots.

Think about the nationality of the Russian volunteers.  These were guys from Donbass in Ukraine-exendable it seems.

So who would send battalions of Donbass volunteers and Syrian Army counterparts into a death trap like that?

It doesn't help Putin at all.  They already know our response times from watching us wage war for the past 17 years.

They know how long it takes for our aircraft to get from forward-deployed bases to any TIC in CENTCOM better than a lot of our own moron air planners.

They already know what our PGM capabilities are.

Something is fishy about this whole thing.

Internally, Russians are suspecting someone trying to sabotage Putin's chances in this year's Russian presidential elections.

That someone would have to have high-level military authority to organize something like this.
Alternative theory: Putin got used to the US blinking in Georgia, the Ukraine, and Syria under Obama, and figured that for all his bluster, Trump would be more of the same.  
Still doesn't satisfy why they weren't supported with air assets.

For that type of operation, they should normally have Su-24 Fencers to go in and soften the area, followed by Su-25 light attack aircraft for CAS, followed by HIND-E and HAVOC gunships, then artillery.  They could have used Syrian Air Force to do this with Russian advisors and intel cells providing C3 and targeting, airspace management, coordination, and echelons of fire.

It's not like they weren't afraid to fire on US forces, because they certainly fired artillery on our SF and Kurdish allies.

It looks like these guys were sent to slaughter.
One of the latest stories is that the Russians were there to retake an oil field and facility for the Syrians, at which point one of the Oligarchs was going to get a pay out, and that oligarch owns Wagner. After the shit with the Turks in the last month attacking the Kurds, these Russians assumed two things: 1. The facility was lightly guarded because main body of Kurds was moved to stop the Turks (which is what survivors of the attack got caught repeating on radios)  2. That the US, since it didn't stop the Turks attacking the Kurds, wouldn't stop the Russian mercs attacking the Kurds. Those two assumptions were grossly wrong.

We know they have intelligence apparatus in Syria, but how well do we know it works? What if this was nothing more than one of the Oligarchs coming up with a get rich quick scheme, selling it to Putin that nothing will happen, blah blah blah, and Putin, based off the last decade not realizing fully that things have changed? Or add another complexity, what if Putin wanted the attack to go forward without air support knowing they'd likely encounter the US but he just wanted to see how we'd react?

Does anyone really think Putin or anyone else involved in planning that abortion that we'd react the way we did? There hasn't been such a show of force done by the US in quite a long time. OIF was supposed to be a large scale show of force, but the occupation blew up in Bush's face. Obama did fuck all for shows of force, he was a unique when it came to being commander-in-chief. But Trump, Mattis, they know. And they crafted a nice giant fuck you to Putin and instead of maybe firing a couple warning shots like Putin might have thought we'd do, we took them all out, back to front, we cut off their primary escape route, and went to work trying to kill as many on the East bank as we could over a number of hours involving what appears to be at least a dozen or more sorties from up to five completely different type of aircraft, plus arty support. Aka, the support package dudes in Afghanistan could only dream about getting.
I can buy that they were tasked to go take the oil fields in the Kurdish-controlled territory.

I have a hard time buying that an Oligarch wanted control of the fields (even though Russia has more oil than it knows what to do with).

We do know that Assad wants control of the fields, but would he have the Russians send in a Donbass volunteer battle group to do it?

The Russians also have satellite and radar networks that provide a very big picture of the AOR, so it isn't like they don't know about F-15E, B-52, AH-64D, and other aircraft movements.

You would have to be really stupid to walk into that mess.  Maybe it was a big trap, but are we really looking to escalate things there with Russia as part of WH policy?
One article I read today said the Oligarch was promised 25% of total yield by Assad in exchange for getting it. Considering those fields past output, that's a shit ton of cash when the only cost is small number of casualties because dude thinks the Kurds aren't home and that the US is nutless.
That oligarch is Wagner, is it not? He also holds the contract for food service to the kremlin. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been skimming through multiple articles rather quickly.
Different guy. The Wagner guy is Dmitriy Utkin, he's listed as the "owner" and CEO of the outfit, the name Wagner is from his radio call sign as he supposedly has an infatuation with the German Wehrmacht/Third Reich. The oligarch is Yevgeny Prigozhin.
So they guy who was just indicted by US DOJ hacks is also the one who allegedly has ties to Wagner?

Interesting....
Yep, that was quite surprising to hear it was the same guy. Mueller and Rosenstein would have picked him long ago to have rolled out the indictments a few days ago, so that's not the reason they did it, but if we knew he was the owner of Wagner, who were prime assholes in Ukraine and Syria, maybe that helped make the decision to indict. Though I seriously doubt that Mueller/Rosenstein actually care that much about actual Russian relations and more with just naming a top dog to add weight to their legal circle jerk.

Somehow I don't think Putin will authorize his extradition to the US.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

i see. so in this case we're gtg with "anonymous sources."
View Quote
Dude, just read the open source media reports. Jeez...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This thread is fucking glorious. My father was on the front line of the Cold War in West Germany as an Army intel officer in the late 70's, didn't live long enough to see the Berlin Wall come down. I have no doubt he would have loved reading this. Somewhere, out there right now, the thought of lining up against Americans is causing hardened soldiers to shit their pants......LOL. Cheers fellas!
View Quote

If people didn't get the memo after Gulf War I, they are incompetent.

Every major power watched in awe of how the US basically erased the largest air force (934 combat aircraft in inventory in 1990) in the region at the time in a matter of days, and they were a recent combat-hardened Air Force after 10 years of fighting against Iran-who also had one of the most formidable air forces in the world, to include the most advanced US fighter at the time, the F-14A Tomcat with full AWG-9/AIM-54A Phoenix long range AAM system.

The appropriate people within the defense analyst communities in Russia, Iran, China, and every other nation after that certainly crapped bricks.  Not just at the airpower we unleashed, but our armor too.  On paper, we should have seen way more problems and challenges to our armor, but the results were so lop-sided, it shocked even analysts in the US.

Combined with the Soviet collapse and lack of aggressive military development from a comparable super power, the US continued on with development of advanced 5th Generation combat aircraft, armor, carriers, AWACS, anti-submarine warfare, artillery, satellites, integrated communications networks, and drones.

The Russians were in cavitation mode with brain drain from escaping scientists and low density skills, while Yeltsin barely held on by drunken reigns in the aftermath.

Nations who used to rely on Soviet war material began looking to the US for fighters, tanks, and other modern weapons.  Many nations who used to use Soviet fighters simply sold them to the US with good deals in exchange for F-16Cs, and then we carted the Mig-29s back to the US for more FORMAT exploitation at remote locations.

This is why such an effort was made to foment Al Qaeda to hit the US off-center, as there were no nations left really who would want to try conventional war with us.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've no doubt that asses were kicked that day, but something about this retelling smacks of creative license.

Practically every combat aircraft we have making its own cameo appearance, like characters in the intro to a fighting game?

All that airpower wasn't able to destroy a shitty bridge, they needed mother nature's help?  Somehow even that didn't wipe out this force, they were still able to cross a now flooded river that was powerful enough to destroy a bridge?

Maybe I'm just overly skeptical but this sounds a lot like a fiction writer's imagination of what could be rather than what actually happened.  Hope I'm wrong cuz it definitely gets the 'murica boner up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Ringos facebook

Soooo...
Further reporting, such as it is, on the Dair Ezzor Turkey Shoot.
1. Sov... err... Russians built a bridge over the Euphrates which was the designated 'deconfliction line'. Why? Reasons. 'Commite of Nations' or something.
2. 'Hybrid' force of mixed Russian contractors including multiple non-ethnic Russians (Serbs, Kossack, other non Slavics) as well as local Syrian Army
'commandos' attacked across temporary bridge. The 'Russian' side were 'Blackwater' equivalent mercenaries from a company generally called 'Wagner'
which is the nom de plume of the boss. (Like if you called Blackwater 'Prince'.)
3. Unit was partially mechanized, battalion strength. (One thing everyone agrees upon is 'about 600-700 personnel.') Had some towed artillery as well
as 't-55 and T-72 MBT as well as armored personnel carriers.' (Type unknown.) Full on 'we're taking that position and you're not stopping us' full court press.
4. Unit crossed bridge, arty deployed.
5. Arty opened fire while most of unit was still in approach column formation. (Normal) One portion moved to flanking positions.
5A. Minute the arty opened fire SHIT GOT REAL REAL QUICK.
6. Reapers took out artillery and most of armor with Hellfire. From the few videos, pretty much before they knew what hit them. There had to be quite a few Reaper drones up or they were feeding guidance to Hellfire from Apaches (see below.)
7. F-15E Eagles came in for clean-up and to check for anti-air defenses.
8. Warthogs showed up just to go BRRRRRRT!
9. AC-130 Spectre started fucking up their day for the hell of it.
10. To add insult to injury, B-52s which, you know, just HAPPENED to be in the area, just minding our own business, just passing by from Diego Garcia which is a few thousand miles away, on our way to... somewhere... nothing to see here... decided to prove they could drop their entire load as precision guided weapons and just more or less DID A JDAM ARCLIGHT ON THEIR ASS. At that point, more or less because CENTCOM said 'Why not? ARCLIGHT is always pretty to watch...'
11. The whole thing being so over it was ridiculous, AH-64 Apaches basically did 'hostile Bomb Damage Assessment' and complained there were no targets left.
12. Oh, and then the Kurds, to just really FUCK with these guys, released water from a dam upstream and broke their bridge. So they had to ford back with their wounded.
13. Nobody knows how many dead and wounded. Russians are saying 'only 8 Russian citizens' but that doesn't quite cover the whole of who may have been involved. One repeated number is 200 dead (remember, mixed Syrians, Russians and other ethnics) as well as pretty much the rest of the force wounded. (Not to mention pretty thoroughly demoralized.) One Kurd wounded. Probably fell off a stool laughing to tell truth.
14. Military hospitals in Russia are reliably reported 'overflowing.'
This was much less a 'battle' than a message. Towards the end we had to just be pounding ground to make sure they got it.
Messages, really.
A. Don't fucking cross that river.
B. Hey, North Korea! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!
C. Hey, Putin, about Donbas... This is what we can do to your 'freedom fighters' (AKA: mercenaries) at any time.
D. To everyone in general: You need to remember who's boss.
Mattis is playing dumb. 'What Russians? There were Russians? Really? I'm seeing that in the media but I got no briefing on there being Russians in that column. Our bad. Sorry about that.'
Then there's the fact that the strike was NOT approved by the President.
Because he gave CENTOM the approval on things like that.
And CENTCOM handled it like a BOSS.
Oh, and when the forces crossed the river the Russians were informed and informed that we intended to take 'self-defense' actions.
So they can't even say they weren't warned.
I'm not sure we warned them we'd be using BUFF.
This is more the sort of thing I'd expect in late summer.
'Shit! We haven't expended our budget! Are there any Russians we can fuck up very badly with all these unexpended munitions?'
Last thought: It had to be shitty being on the receiving end of that.

The U.S. objective may well not have been to destroy the bridge.  It could have been the result of SDF initiative.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Putin doesnt give a shit about is pawns/troops. Most world media will sweep this under the rug. putins propganda machine will control the reports of this in russia.

For certain the russians will be planning payback for this. My guess is that the russians will want to down a US aircraft. I can see him and his syrian allies start taking shots at any US aircraft. Or he might coherce the turks to roll up as well. Since the russians arent stupid enough to go air to air against the US, the next ground attack will be supported by russian arty to surpress troops on the ground.
View Quote
This last one was supported by Russian arty.

One shot at a U.S. aircraft will result in ARM middles inbound, and we saw how Israel knocked the crap out of Russia's allegedly premier AA system.

We didn't use any ground forces this past episode, what is their arty supposed to target that they didn't try to target this last rpisode?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So why were these Donbass volunteers set up for failure?  Why no air support for them?
View Quote
Maybe they knew something that could hurt Mother Russia and got left to die. It's an old but useful trick. Ask Uriah the Hittite.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The U.S. objective may well not have been to destroy the bridge.  It could have been the result of SDF initiative.
View Quote
its no accident US forces left the bridge intact

send us more armored columns to fuck up
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Russians have been using military airpower in Syria for how many years now?

https://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_21/1549771/160524-syria-may-14-jhc-1216_dc14c38582d632a553cf8ee21d1e63be.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

They just had one of their Su-25 pilots show down February 3rd.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5a75e325af61d85b028b4d8f-750-375.jpg

If the argument is that they don't know how to use airpower in support of battle groups, I would question the military history awareness of the person making that claim.

If the argument is they don't have aircraft in theater, then I would point you to all the satellite imagery and recent shoot-downs of their aircraft, as well as attacks on their air bases by militants.

http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/foundry/image/?q=70&w=1440&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F01%2Fjjajdad14.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

So why were these Donbass volunteers set up for failure?  Why no air support for them?

Comparing them with Blackwater doesn't work well either.  Blackwater did VIP PSD for diplomats, the US Ambassador, construction contractors, food and sanitation workers, people like that.

Nowhere will you ever see Blackwater organized into freaking armored battalions with artillery trying to cross into some other territory to take oil fields in a strategic move within the theater.
View Quote
You can’t enjoy the deniability of saying that these fighters were private military contractors if you are providing close air support for them. Companies don’t field combat jets and helicopters, governments do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, that was quite surprising to hear it was the same guy. Mueller and Rosenstein would have picked him long ago to have rolled out the indictments a few days ago, so that's not the reason they did it, but if we knew he was the owner of Wagner, who were prime assholes in Ukraine and Syria, maybe that helped make the decision to indict. Though I seriously doubt that Mueller/Rosenstein actually care that much about actual Russian relations and more with just naming a top dog to add weight to their legal circle jerk.

Somehow I don't think Putin will authorize his extradition to the US.
View Quote
He has to be really tight with Putin. I think Putin knows everything about everything, and he's letting his inner circle operate as they see fit with a wink. His inner circle guys know they better be loyal, or else.

Putin denies knowing of the attack beforehand. The statement by Mattis indicates to me that he's letting Putin claim deniability. There's a hell of a chess game going on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet supposedly the Kurds destroyed it anyway.  Either way, that's plausible that we'd want the bridge intact, but something about this telling just seems a bit too 'perfect'.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The aircraft type involved were listed by the pentagon.....

The intent was likely twofold.

-Demonstrate our resolve and ability

and it was a great test of our systems interaction.

-When was the last time we got to test our stuff in an open battle in defense against an attacking combined arms force at scale?

probably korea.

Just about everything in GW-1 and 2 was offensive, or small unit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And yet supposedly the Kurds destroyed it anyway.  Either way, that's plausible that we'd want the bridge intact, but something about this telling just seems a bit too 'perfect'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't believe most of it until it's proven, but the larger story surrounding this attack is fascinating.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
the river is basically the DMZ you don't bomb the DMZ.

and if we bombed it the liberals would claim we did it to block food convoys or something.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The supposition is that we were supposed to refuse to engage, fade back and let the Kurds handle it.
We had more backbone than the planners expected.

Kinda like what happened to us in Benghazi.
View Quote
You know, it is the Olympics. He's pulled ostentatious shenanigans during the Olympics before.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The aircraft type involved were listed by the pentagon.....

The intent was likely twofold.

-Demonstrate our resolve and ability

and it was a great test of our systems interaction.

-When was the last time we got to test our stuff in an open battle in defense against an attacking combined arms force at scale?

probably korea.

Just about everything in GW-1 and 2 was offensive, or small unit.
View Quote
I've not yet seen any mentions of A-10's in the fight, at least in the couple reports I read.  Any better sources on this?

Also, hasn't there been a lot of talk on this board over the years criticizing the lack of AC-130 usage in AFG because of the risk of MANPADs?  I'd think a russian-backed PMC would be pretty likely to have MANPADs, but I'm just a dumb civvie.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's to our advantage that we have a hand in controlling the distribution of oil in a way that benefits us. We're able to do this by having good relations with a number of our friends. The dollar stays strong due to the agreements concerning oil that  we have with these partners. What American citizens get out of this is a good standard of living.
View Quote
How is putting our servicemen and women into harms way for another banker's war/military conflict/military engagement of any benefit to our country as a whole? Answer, it isn't. It is all about their globalist view and agenda. We should not be entangling ourselves into areas we have no business being in. That is a fact.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Things may have changed, but we generally never target infrastructure unless we have to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Amen brother.

People just don't understand that tyrannical criminal regimes don't bring anything together, they drive everyone apart, while using violence and terrorism to crush dissent to keep the status quo.
View Quote
I agree mostly what you said, but this part has some nuances. One of the big issues in the middle East and former Combloc have populations that are *not* uniform, either ethnically or religiously. Left to themselves, they will fight each other. In order to maintain stability, those strongmen suppress ethnicities and religions, except for their own. It actually *does* create unity - groups that would gladly see the others exterminated will fight shoulder to shoulder against the dictator. No, it's not real unity, but it's stable as long as the dictator can maintain it. Once something disrupts that, all hell breaks loose as the oppressed groups immediately get back to doing what they always wanted to do - kill the other tribe.

Yugoslavia is a textbook example - Tito ruthlessly oppressed any expression of identity other than "Yugoslavian." But when he was gone, the Service, Croats, Bosnians, Muslims, Orthodox, etc, all picked up doing what they have been doing for centuries - killing each other.

I'm not defending the dictators generated by the the collapse of colonialism and the cold war. But I believe it was more complicated than "assholes with guns and money."
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
...or what? We'll run out of bombs/missiles/arty rounds?

I'm fine with Putin talking tough to save face, but this seems like a pretty shallow threat in light of (apparent) recent events. I don't want to see the US and Russia in a war, of any scale, but we can't have our allies in the area getting overrun by Putin's shadow armies either.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How is putting our servicemen and women into harms way for another banker's war/military conflict/military engagement of any benefit to our country as a whole? Answer, it isn't. It is all about their globalist view and agenda. We should not be entangling ourselves into areas we have no business being in. That is a fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's to our advantage that we have a hand in controlling the distribution of oil in a way that benefits us. We're able to do this by having good relations with a number of our friends. The dollar stays strong due to the agreements concerning oil that  we have with these partners. What American citizens get out of this is a good standard of living.
Are you a libertarian, or are you a part of the FSB troll farm?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Things may have changed, but we generally never target infrastructure unless we have to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It wasn't infrastructure, but rather a bridge built by PMC or Syrian (or Syrian-aligned) military engineers as a component of their military operations culminating in offensive action across the river.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The objective may have not been "destroy the bridge". Sometimes it is beneficial to leave routes of egress intact.

I wasn't there, but from everything I am reading online there WAS a major destruction of a de facto Russian fighting force that was attempting to sieze land and means of oil production in violation of the treaty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, Kratman or Ezell?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has a LOT of friends who tell him things, his books are popular in the military and his fans send him stuff.
i see. so in this case we're gtg with "anonymous sources."
Who says they're anonymous? ;-)  I know SOME of the people who talk to John, some of whom I can reveal, some I can't.  One of the authors he has mentored is high up at DIA, there are other people working in intel positions in DC who talk to him, in addition to current and former military, to include members of many special operations units.  He also spends a lot of time looking at foreign news sources, since US media sucks as far as reporting what's going on in the world.
So, Kratman or Ezell?
Kratman is retired and living in Blacksburg, VA, he probably still has contacts, but his focus has been on writing and lately trying to come up with ways to improve military training.  Ezell is a USAF helo pilot, her main concern these days is evacuating VIP's from DC in an emergency, and lining up a job after she ETS's.  No, I'm thinking of at least two other people, one of whom works in the basement of the White House or somewhere very nearby.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree mostly what you said, but this part has some nuances. One of the big issues in the middle East and former Combloc have populations that are *not* uniform, either ethnically or religiously. Left to themselves, they will fight each other. In order to maintain stability, those strongmen suppress ethnicities and religions, except for their own. It actually *does* create unity - groups that would gladly see the others exterminated will fight shoulder to shoulder against the dictator. No, it's not real unity, but it's stable as long as the dictator can maintain it. Once something disrupts that, all hell breaks loose as the oppressed groups immediately get back to doing what they always wanted to do - kill the other tribe.

Yugoslavia is a textbook example - Tito ruthlessly oppressed any expression of identity other than "Yugoslavian." But when he was gone, the Service, Croats, Bosnians, Muslims, Orthodox, etc, all picked up doing what they have been doing for centuries - killing each other.

I'm not defending the dictators generated by the the collapse of colonialism and the cold war. But I believe it was more complicated than "assholes with guns and money."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen brother.

People just don't understand that tyrannical criminal regimes don't bring anything together, they drive everyone apart, while using violence and terrorism to crush dissent to keep the status quo.

Dictators stop mass killing by mass killing. Tito included, he held together a nation that shouldn't have ever existed through brute force, playing one side against the other, keeping all ethnic sides internally constantly politicking against one another because the more they hate one another, the more they rely on bossman to rule in their favor.

All dictators do this. Stalin, Mao, Kim, Tito, Castro, Saddam, Gaddafi, Assad, Putin, Erdogan, Hillary. Competely dysfunction leadership and its the reason their nations who come off a dictator are usually fucked for at least a couple generations necessary for at least majority of assholes to die off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Putin takes a four day powder and that's the best they could come up with?

Hey Vlad, go home and get your fucking shine box.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Banker's war. Ask him about Rothschild next. Do it, I dare you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol @ "banker's war". Classic.

Pretty sure we got another live one on our hands.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Putin takes a four day powder and that's the best they could come up with?

Hey Vlad, go home and get your fucking shine box.
View Quote
Iran & Russia have lots to say. But I caught the flu so I’m to jacked to be organized and post all their shit simultaneously. This flu is kicking my ass. Anyway, here’s another Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
But deciding where "we have no business being" is strictly a matter of opinion and choice.

The problem with isolationism is that, while one can try to pull away from the rest of the world, the rest of the world will not reciprocate. The problem with interventionism is that we don't have the resources to BE "the entire world." We have to live somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If we had not allowed the Russians and avenue of escape, things could have gotten a lot messier. Russian Air assets may have gotten involved at that point, because otherwise we would have had surrenders, and out of all of this, that is the last thing the Russians would want. They would probably rather have a 100% KIA scenario.
View Quote
We should have obliged.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I mean way back when. When McCain, Obama and Hillary ran the show...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fuckin' awesome. If only they'd done that to ISIL too.

We did.
I mean way back when. When McCain, Obama and Hillary ran the show...
You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It wasn't infrastructure, but rather a bridge built by PMC or Syrian (or Syrian-aligned) military engineers as a component of their military operations culminating in offensive action across the river.
View Quote
I see. I thought everyone was talking about a real preexisting bridge.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm a Patriot that voted for MAGA. Not a troll, sorry that I don't fall for the neocon agenda.

Quoted:

Post less and read more. You are way over your head in this thread and don't even know what you are talking about.

Quoted:
But deciding where "we have no business being" is strictly a matter of opinion and choice.

The problem with isolationism is that, while one can try to pull away from the rest of the world, the rest of the world will not reciprocate. The problem with interventionism is that we don't have the resources to BE "the entire world." We have to live somewhere in between.
Problem is that McCain, Graham, Rubio, HRC, Obama, Victoria Nuland had been trying to get us involved militarily (behind what we were already doing) in Ukraine and in Syria before Obama's term was up. They overthrew a democratically elected leader in Ukraine and tried to get us into a military conflict with Russia over nothing other than them being war hungry. We had no business in Ukraine, at all and had no business overthrowing a leader that was elected by the people.

We also had no business and continue to have no business in Syria. Russia is an ally of Syria. Russia was invited by Syria to help Syria defeat ISIS/rebels that were being supported by the west and trying to overthrow another democratically elected leader. We have no business in Syria. I have no interest in another war that the globalist and bankers support and want to get rich off of. Russia has been doing the good fight in wiping ISIS off the face of the earth. We could have worked alongside Russia and Syria in this common goal to get rid of Syria, instead we are the ones that are creating more drama and putting ourselves where we shouldn't be and trying to push an agenda that is contrary to what Syria/Russians want. All to push the agenda that Saudi Arabia/Israel/Turkey want.

I don't want to waste more money fighting another war that has no purpose in our self defense and that will only be protracted and get more of out young men and women killed. All for the monetary gain for the MIC and bankers.

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One of the latest stories is that the Russians were there to retake an oil field and facility for the Syrians, at which point one of the Oligarchs was going to get a pay out, and that oligarch owns Wagner. After the shit with the Turks in the last month attacking the Kurds, these Russians assumed two things: 1. The facility was lightly guarded because main body of Kurds was moved North to stop the Turks (which is what survivors of the attack got caught repeating on radios)  2. That the US, since it didn't stop the Turks attacking the Kurds, wouldn't stop the Russian mercs attacking the Kurds in Deir al-Zor province. Those two assumptions were grossly wrong.

We know they have intelligence apparatus in Syria, but how well do we know it works? How well do we know that intelligence is being controlled, analyzed, or disseminated. The Russians have always had a problem hoarding info, its a key part of all authoritarian govt to covet and hold tight onto information, because knowledge is power. What if this incident was nothing more than one of the Oligarchs coming up with a get rich quick scheme, selling it to Putin that nothing will happen, blah blah blah, and Putin, based off the last decade not realizing fully that things have changed? Or add another complexity, what if Putin wanted the attack to go forward without air support knowing they'd likely encounter the US but he just wanted to see how we'd react? Maybe it was Putin who insisted no jets but otherwise he'd allow it.

Does anyone really think Putin or anyone else involved in planning that abortion thought we'd react the way we did? There hasn't been such a show of force done by the US in quite a long time. OIF was supposed to be a large scale show of force, but the occupation blew up in Bush's face. Obama did fuck all for shows of force, he was a eunuch when it came to being commander-in-chief. But Trump, Mattis, they know. And they crafted a nice giant fuck you to Putin and instead of maybe firing a couple warning shots like Putin might have thought we'd do, we took them all out, back to front, we cut off their primary escape route, and went to work trying to kill as many on the East bank as we could over a number of hours involving what appears to be at least a dozen or more sorties from up to five or more completely different type of aircraft, plus arty support. Aka, the fire support package dudes in Afghanistan could only dream about getting.
View Quote
Could it be possible that they either didn't think or didn't know US forces were present at that location at that time until we called the Russians to ask if it was them coming.  Russians go "OH shit"  "No not us" and left those guys go and get fucked up rather than turning them around which would prove that they, were in fact, Russian and blow a part the cover of no Russian forces participating on the ground in that fashion?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A probe with fodder; just checking to see if this was an Obama style "Red Line" or something different.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A probe with fodder; just checking to see if this was an Obama style "Red Line" or something different.
http://caveviews.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bffd953ef01bb098f3d62970d-800wi
I like it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Post less and read more. You are way over your head in this thread and don't even know what you are talking about.
View Quote
Then please, enlighten me about the "banker's war". You seem ever so knowledgeable. Who exactly are "the bankers".
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm a Patriot that voted for MAGA. Not a troll, sorry that I don't fall for the neocon agenda.

Problem is that McCain, Graham, Rubio, HRC, Obama, Victoria Nuland had been trying to get us involved militarily (behind what we were already doing) in Ukraine and in Syria before Obama's term was up. They overthrew a democratically elected leader in Ukraine and tried to get us into a military conflict with Russia over nothing other than them being war hungry. We had no business in Ukraine, at all and had no business overthrowing a leader that was elected by the people.

We also had no business and continue to have no business in Syria. Russia is an ally of Syria. Russia was invited by Syria to help Syria defeat ISIS/rebels that were being supported by the west and trying to overthrow another democratically elected leader. We have no business in Syria. I have no interest in another war that the globalist and bankers support and want to get rich off of. Russia has been doing the good fight in wiping ISIS off the face of the earth. We could have worked alongside Russia and Syria in this common goal to get rid of Syria, instead we are the ones that are creating more drama and putting ourselves where we shouldn't be and trying to push an agenda that is contrary to what Syria/Russians want. All to push the agenda that Saudi Arabia/Israel/Turkey want.

I don't want to waste more money fighting another war that has no purpose in our self defense and that will only be protracted and get more of out young men and women killed. All for the monetary gain for the MIC and bankers.

https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user230519/imageroot/2016/10/20/2016.10.24%20-%20Syria%204.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user230519/imageroot/2016/10/20/2016.10.24%20-%20Syria%204.jpg
I don't see it as wasting money if I get to eat my turkey, mashed potatos, and peas tv dinner in peace then hang out in GD for the evening before stoking the wood stove and dozing off to sleep safe and warm. My bros getting their war boners on is just the cherry on top.

Yessir, life is good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://caveviews.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bffd953ef01bb098f3d62970d-800wi
Fucking outstanding! Bravo sir.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Combined arms like a motherfucker.

I wonder how we generated targeting for the JDAMs in real time like that. That's pretty awesome, I though they needed a while.
View Quote
THIs, does one FAC get bombs 1-8, next 9-19 and so on?or what?

Im just shuddering at the cost of a strike like that? those b52's must have been up there for HOURS with some serious loads prior to bombing, ok i get that but did they need to use JDAM's?wouldnt conventional have been just as effective?(if they were about to expire like the MOAB i guess it was ok).
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The objective may have not been "destroy the bridge". Sometimes it is beneficial to leave routes of egress intact.

I wasn't there, but from everything I am reading online there WAS a major destruction of a de facto Russian fighting force that was attempting to sieze land and means of oil production in violation of the treaty.
View Quote
Yes it seems clear to me we left the bridge because our objective wasn't to kill every last one of them.  Had it been, we'd let them cross the bridge, blow it to trap them on our side and hammer them till nothing was left.  There is probably a fine line between really making a point and having the other guy not retaliate and going too far where he has no choice but to retaliate.   We don't want to escalate but at the same time we probably wanted to send the message that there is a new sheriff in town and things will not go like they have in the past.  That is my uninformed speculation.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Then please, enlighten me about the "banker's war". You seem ever so knowledgeable. Who exactly are "the bankers".
View Quote
See, someone needs to do more research and reading. Looks like you have a long way to go to catch up to speed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Im just shuddering at the cost of a strike like that? those b52's must have been up there for HOURS with some serious loads prior to bombing, ok i get that but did they need to use JDAM's?wouldnt conventional have been just as effective?(if they were about to expire like the MOAB i guess it was ok).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combined arms like a motherfucker.

I wonder how we generated targeting for the JDAMs in real time like that. That's pretty awesome, I though they needed a while.

We spend trillions preparing for massive wars with Russia and China that should never happen. When an opportunity like this comes along to slaughter some Russians, you take it.

From another angle, how much does it cost to be viewed as weak?

Deterrence is always cheap by comparison.

China, NK and Iran aren't watching this wide eyed. This is an even bigger and better message than the TLAM strike (which was glorious BTW).
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
a lot less then setting up a similar training exercise where we had to provide the targets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

China, NK and Iran aren't watching this wide eyed. This is an even bigger and better message than the TLAM strike (which was glorious BTW).
View Quote
The timing on that one was epic.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is still unsure who directed a Feb. 7 attack on U.S. and U.S.-backed forces in Syria, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Saturday, even as he acknowledged accounts that Russian civilian contractors were involved.

https://s4.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20180218&t=2&i=1232615831&r=LYNXNPEE1H02W&w=1200

Reuters has reported that about 300 men working for a Kremlin-linked Russian private military firm were either killed or injured in Syria.

The U.S. has estimated about 100 pro-Syrian government forces were killed by U.S. strikes to repel the Feb. 7 attack.

Russian military officers told the United States during the incident that Moscow was not involved. The Pentagon has declined to comment on the exact makeup of the attacking forces and Mattis appeared at a loss to explain the incident 10 days later.

“I still cannot give you any more information on why they would do this. But they took direction from someone,” Mattis told reporters flying back to Washington with him from a trip to Europe, according to a Pentagon transcript.

“Was it local direction? Was it from external sources? Don’t ask me. I don’t know.”

Mattis said he “understood” that Moscow had acknowledged contractors were involved, without elaborating on whether that understanding came from press reports. Russian officials have told reporters that five Russian citizens may have been killed in clashes with U.S.-led coalition forces.

Still, Russian officials deny they deploy private military contractors in Syria, saying Moscow’s only military presence is a campaign of air strikes, a naval base, military instructors training Syrian forces, and limited numbers of special forces troops.

But according to people familiar with the deployment, Russia is using large numbers of the contractors in Syria because that allows Moscow to put more boots on the ground without risking regular soldiers whose deaths have to be accounted for.

The contractors, mostly ex-military, carry out missions assigned to them by the Russian military, the people familiar with the deployment said. Most are Russian citizens, though some have Ukrainian and Serbian passports.

The United States and Russia, while backing opposite sides in the Syria conflict, have taken pains to make sure that their forces do not accidentally collide. But the presence of the Russian contractors adds an element of unpredictability.

The U.S. military has said that in its effort to repel the attack on Feb. 7, U.S. forces on the ground called in coalition strikes for more than three hours, involving F-15E fighter jets, MQ-9 drones, B-52 bombers, AC-130 gunships and AH-64 Apache helicopters

The U.S. military has said the attacking forces were aligned with the Syrian government and were backed by artillery, tanks, multiple-launch rocket systems and mortars.

“I doubt that 257 people all just decided on their individual own selves to suddenly cross the river into enemy territory and start shelling a location and maneuvering tanks against it,” Mattis said.

“So whatever happened, we’ll try to figure it out. We’ll work with, obviously, anyone who can answer that question, but I cannot, at this time.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/mideast-crisis-syria-pentagon/u-s-still-unsure-who-directed-syria-attack-despite-russian-dead-idUSKCN1G204S
View Quote
Sorry, neither the US or Russia WANTS WWIII, BUT if russian government soldiers attacked our soldiers we have WWIII starting. BUT russia was smart enough to have "contractors" do the deed because if WWIII starts EVERYBDOY loses. I would wager that the US has(and had) some sort of intel that says who exactly high up started this. Trump authorized CENTCOM to keep our guys safe, they did. I  would wager that nobody though Russia woudl be stupid enough to start things and i for see a "oh wrong code word got sent so we didnt mean to attack sorry..."  to give Russia an out and avoid a war. War is EXPENSIVE, REAL WAR with Russia would be crippling if they landed.(imagine an organized campaign of infrastructure destruction by commando units, coupled with commercial shipping being sunk by subs le, both would be crippleing and mostly untraceable ("my name isnt Igor, it is Migel, im simply a misunderstood illegal immigrant." and "MV XYZ was sunk with 100000 conex containers this afternoon, suspected submarine attack but no proof of who did it"

I would wager the russians (poor bastards on teh ground) didnt think they were going up against ANY air power, artillery, or actual resistance. They likely got told "your going across your bridge to take out 10guys with a mortar, so you have some tanks and APC's, go havefun". The russian HEAD guys(safe in office bunkers somwehre else) likely were testing US resolve to blow the crap out of aggressors.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

a lot less then setting up a similar training exercise where we had to provide the targets.
View Quote
That's why we have always been at war with eastasia.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top