Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 1:54:51 PM EDT
Who knows anything about this new integrated lock thingy, good, bad, ugly?

Thanks
CH
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mainspring housing has a lock in it that I assume keeps the mainspring from recoiling which would stop the hammer from being cocked. The good news is that it is removable. Just put in a new MSH.

Visually it looks like a MSH with a little hole. I don't know if they come checkered or not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen pictures of the gun with the lock installed with a checkered mainsdpring housing.

My problem with the set up is will recoil, over an extended period of time, cause the locking mechanism to switch into locked condition while firing.

That could be very bad.

Springfield will offer an upgrade kit for Springfields not so equiped.

I would rather not have it if I were buying one of their 1911's.  But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
oneshot1kill,
here is a link to the Spingfield page with all of the ILS info.  
[url]http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-feat.shtml#2[/url]
I was wondering if it could just be replaced also.  It looks like you could just unlock it and leave it that way.  I am not really fond of the idea, but if the gun is good and it can be removed relatively cheaply, I may go that route.  Still looking though.
CH
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
These internal locks are just sothing else to go wrong.  I have a Tauras PT-111 & a 9 shot .22 revolver.  Both have locks on them.  The 111 seems to work okay, but the .22 seems to start popping out after 250-400rds.  The lock on the .22 is on the hammer, on the 111 it is in the slide.  I still like the 22 alot and hope to either have Taurus replace the hammer without the lock feature.  The 111 is meant to be a CC weapon, so I will trading it for a Glock.  Would like to hear from anyone who has a Taurus 22 revolver with a hammer lock.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Springfield Milspec, with the lock on it So far, I've put about a 1000 rnds through it of diffrent ammo Semi-wadcutters, hollow points, and have had Zero problems with the lock,I don't use it, it's a pain in the ass,On the bright side it's easily removeable,and when I get a chance It'll be history.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anybody contacted Springfield to see if they sell the mainspring housing without the locking system. I would also like to be rid of the lock thing too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top