Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2018 9:09:26 AM EDT
Am I really obligated by law to answer the census?  It wants me to go to https://respond.census.gov/acs.  They have instructions in English and Spanish, so I'm kind of thinking fuck them.  If you don't speak English you shouldn't be here permanently anyway.  What happens if I don't respond?

It doesn't say what would happen if I don't respond, and it wasn't sent to me, just "resident."  It just says, "You are required by U.S. law to respond to this survey."
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Am I really obligated by law to answer the census?  It wants me to go to https://respond.census.gov/acs.  They have instructions in English and Spanish, so I'm kind of thinking fuck them.  What happens if I don't respond?
View Quote
hide yur dag now
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This is brought up every couple months.

Either throw it in the trash and tell the census person to screw off, or just put the number of people in household down.

I don't think anyone has ever been charged for not doing it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't get paid to do the government's paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am I really obligated by law to answer the census?  It wants me to go to https://respond.census.gov/acs.  They have instructions in English and Spanish, so I'm kind of thinking fuck them.  If you don't speak English you shouldn't be here permanently anyway.  What happens if I don't respond?
View Quote
Did it come Certified Mail? What kind of census is it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did it come Certified Mail? What kind of census is it?
View Quote
It's an online thing, and it says that if I don't respond I'll get a paper census sheet in a few weeks.  It's called the "American Community Survey."
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I ignored a few of them in the 2010 census because I just didn’t have time and forgot about them. A guy came to my house and asked me the same questions. I didn’t get butthurt, I told him how many people lived there and moved on. Took less than five minutes and he was a nice enough guy.....er...agent of the government.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Did they give you a dollar?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I always enjoyed that they "invited my participation" in the American Community Survey according to the mailers, then said in big bold letters that my participation is required by law.

I ignored mine. They did send an agent, two or three times, but I was never home. Then they went away. I've read that of the people that ignore the mailers, only a few ever have agents go to their house.

As has been stated, nobody has every been prosecuted or fined for not complying, and I am pretty certain if you just said that four people live at this address they'd be happy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ignored a few of them in the 2010 census because I just didn’t have time and forgot about them. A guy came to my house and asked me the same questions. I didn’t get butthurt, I told him how many people lived there and moved on. Took less than five minutes and he was a nice enough guy.....er...agent of the government.
View Quote
My standard response to anyone knocking on my door is to yell "Come back with a warrant".

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Make sure it's not a scam OP.  Ya know make sure it's not a CON-census. Lololololololololololololol
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My standard response to anyone knocking on my door is to yell "Come back with a warrant".

View Quote
aren't you going to shit when someone  actually does
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Make sure it's not a scam OP.  Ya know make sure it's not a CON-census. Lololololololololololololol
View Quote
Good one!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's an online thing, and it says that if I don't respond I'll get a paper census sheet in a few weeks.  It's called the "American Community Survey."
View Quote
The ACS is an annual census product. It is more useful to microeconomists than the decennial census since much of our data consists of annual panels.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/

Personally, I'd fill it out. It would be pretty hypocritical for me to not fill it out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#19]
You should answer it. If for no other reason that if you don't, they'll over-sample some other household demographic and skew their conclusions of what America is like.

They try to be as representative in this survey as they can, and the reason they keep hassling you is that if you don't respond, they generally don't send out more surveys to other households similar to yours. And then end up with a skewed survey.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#20]
They go into the trashcan.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought the NSA already has this inform?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Everyone loves the Constitution here until they have to fill out a form once every 10 years. At a minimum you need to fill out the # of people. Beyond that, the other information requested has been determined by courts to be Constitutional but is not specifically authorized in Article 1 Section 2; which authorizes a census "such manner as they shall by law direct".
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Alexa will now ask you all the census questions. If you don't answer, she'll quit ordering your sex lube and fleshlights from Amazon and play nothing but Yoko Ono when you ask for music.
View Quote
Could be worse. It could substitute sand for your lube, and play The Final Countdown instead.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#25]
unless it shows up certified mail, I would toss it and not worry.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#26]
We went to the mat with those mother fuqqers a few years back.

In summary: Stand your ground. You WILL win.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Put you social security number in all your email response.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They go into the trashcan.
View Quote
Ayup....
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#29]
FBHO
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck that noise, come and get me.
View Quote
LOL, that is a pretty common sentiment here in GD...yet at the same time GD cheers requiring a citizenship question on the census because all the illegals are going to honestly answer and get deported.  Why I point out that they will either ignore it or lie people here argue they won't because the penalty for not filling it out or lying would be too great.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#32]
If they send someone to your door, don't answer.  If you don't have a way of knowing who's at the door before you answer, then you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Why are they polling two years ahead of the census?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Happened to me years ago. Ignored it. They sent someone to my home. They showed me an ID. I refused to answer . They left. Never heard another word.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Fuck the census. I ignored it until the lady came to my house. When she asked how I heated my home I told her coal. She said that is not a valid way to heat my home so she put oil down. I argued with her and told her she is deligitimizing my information.

I won't be taking another census again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#36]
OP is a Damnyankee.  Throw it in the trash.  Fewer Representatives and FSA money flowing north leaves more for us God fearing, conservative, Southerners.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought the NSA already has this inform?
View Quote
they loaned it to the FBI and they lost it
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Arfcom angry Get Off My Lawn! thread.

The crap you guys get worked up over  
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#40]
You should see the Ag census, a virtual rectal exam.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Number of people in house. Period.

Bye.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You should answer it. If for no other reason that if you don't, they'll over-sample some other household demographic and skew their conclusions of what America is like.

They try to be as representative in this survey as they can, and the reason they keep hassling you is that if you don't respond, they generally don't send out more surveys to other households similar to yours. And then end up with a skewed survey.
View Quote
This. You want all the liberals to answer the surveys?

I look at it like voting in an election, my vote counts, if you don't vote you don't count.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Same thing happened here in 2012 and they served me and warned me.  I was married with young children then so I abided by the law so to speak but now divorced and kids damn near grown I just sit around wishing a motherfucker would these days....................Fuck'em
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It doesn't say what would happen if I don't respond, and it wasn't sent to me, just "resident."  It just says, "You are required by U.S. law to respond to this survey."
View Quote

Did you receive this demand in the mail?
No, you did not.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I received one of those several years  ago, ignored it.
They sent someone to the house, told them to get lost didn't have time for them.
Had some "supervisor" call me and threaten me, told them to fuck off and come get me.
Never heard another thing about it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you have to answer truthfully?

20 residents.

You all speak Esperanto as your first language.

Shit like that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
lol

In this thread many arfcommer will demonstrate how they pick and choose which parts of the Constitution they care about.

Muh Second Amendment, rawr!  Fuck the Census!
View Quote
This is not the census. It's a bullshit one. The ten year census is in 2020. I worked the 2000 census, going door to door. It sucked.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw on my town's police Facebook page a few weeks back that said some people would be notified that they need to complete the survey and that there were inspectors coming for visits? Something like that...

I never received anything but it actually made me a little upset reading it at the time. They should fuck right off.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This. You want all the liberals to answer the surveys?

I look at it like voting in an election, my vote counts, if you don't vote you don't count.
View Quote
What does it count for?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top