Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2001 10:33:46 AM EDT
I just got in some Wolf .223 55gr FMJ. I have had great results with the 7.62x39 stuff. I am wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with it in a AR 15 or M16. I plan on shooting it in my Colt M16 and I don't want to screw it up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Do a search on this subject.
It has been beat to death.

If you can shoot it without extractin problems then you have no reason not to shoot it.
on the other hand if you have extraction problems, dont bother.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
funny you should ask,
I was running steel case ammo thru my 16 this weekend.......seller and bellot and some wolf......every 100rds or so I would get a failure to extract. The case would be punched out easily with a rod, but didn't extract none the less.
I have heard that chrome lined barrels can be finicky with steel cased stuff. Never had a problem with brass.
You might want to run a limited amount and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
No snafus with the Wolf, I like it and it is accurate enough out to about 500.  
Rayvn, did you check your extractor for build up?
Ice
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey!
Thanks for the info. I guess I will take my rifle to the range ane see how it works
Gary White
Sportsman's Supply
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Ice,
yea, the extractor is fine. It was after a couple of mags full auto. The barrel was getting hot. I heard that this was a prob with chrome barrels and steel cases. It only did this when the barrel was real hot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Rayvn,
Find some Federal 62 and 55gr rounds, they are brass and decent for plinking.  If you have a chrome-lined barrel stay away from steel cases.  
Ice
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't understand why people shoot shit ammo through their guns. You never find out how
accurate it is shooting crap ammo. You pay big
bucks for the gun and shoot shit out of it.
SBEM
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never personally shot steel cased ammo, but it is reported that steel cased ammo has a lacquer on it that melts at high temperatures.  This melting can occur after your barrel heats up.  Once the lacquer melts, it can act kind of like a glue and make the case stick in the chamber.

Steel cased ammo may also put more wear on the chamber and extractor than normal.

For a few pennies more per round, you can buy brass-cased ammo and maybe even make up the price difference by selling the brass to someone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I not trying to be a cheap ass by shooting this Wolf ammo. I just want to know if its any good. I agree 110% about shooting junk in a high dollar gun. If I get enough bad feedback about I won't shoot it. I have plenty of good Ammo in stock here in the store. I just hate to shoot up all my profit. If want to shoot something accurate I'll get out my Robar SR-90 rifle and shoot some Federal gold medal match in it.
Thanks for the information.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Folks...

I have had very good experiences with both the
"TCW" (Tula mfg'd, which is the source for Wolf ammo) 55gr and the Barnaul mfgd 62gr.  While these are not official "Wolf brand", I am sure
Wolf is just a repackaging of these ammo types,
and their performance is similar.

I have several ARs with Colt chromed barrels.
The Russkie ammo performed just fine in them (except for 1 session, covered below). It also worked just fine in a new J&T kit gun that had a non-chromed barrel/chamber, as well as my preban Ruger Mini14 (stainless, folder, 1989 vintage).

The only problems I had were feed & extraction related - and when I used Federal and PMC ammo, the results were about the same.  This was on a nearly-new Colt HBar 20" flattop I'd purchased for a song and only cleaned lightly before test firing.  Turns out that a good chamber brushing
and bolt-face, extractor & ejector cleaning cured all ills.  Not using an Orlite magazine also helped (my Orlites will need some shim work for proper seating level).  Also, I had
one round early in the session that didn't
fire - reusing it, it worked fine.

I would suspect JUST THE OPPOSITE of what some of the above posters have written about chromed barrels:  I think there are probably more problems with such ammo in non-chromed, non-M16 milspec "SAAMI" chambers that are known for their tightness.

I'm not really partial to the argument that "I won't put this cheap ammo in my nice gun for fear of damage."  I don't see soft steel cases
such as these wearing out a hard steel barrel appreciably faster than normal.  And even if it's true that extractors wear a little faster,
these are only $5 parts.  And a new barrel - even chrome-lined - is $170 - $200.  So (and I'm actually serious) after a few cases of ammo you can afford a new barrel and extractor with the money you save.  A box of Russkie ammo is $100 while other brass-cased stuff is usually $150 or more.

I believe a very knowledgable list member, Chuck Santose, temperature tested the varnish
with a blowtorch and found no melting or charring, etc. of it. at temperatures expected
in an AR chamber.

Accuracy?  Not quite Federal, IMI or PMC.  But great plinking ammo.  

Dirty?  Yep, suspect lotsa phosphate anticorrosive.  PMC is fairly dirty too - both PMC and Russkie ammo have the strongest ammonia odors.

So after hundreds of rounds of the Russkie ammo in each of several ARs and Mini14s, I am really quite pleased.

Regards, Bill

wiese [at] jps [dot] net

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would shoot WOLF ammo through an AR-15 when South African milsurp and commercial (DENEL) 5.56 ammo is available for CHEAPER (11 cents a round) and it's RELOADABLE!!

Get it at the sites below, among other places! Don't put crap in an expensive gun.

www.aimsurplus.com
www.ammoman.com
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
95thfoot, I hate to tell you that the Wolf is less than 10 cents a round at my cost. I was not aware of the places you mentioned but plan to check them out. Thanks for the info.
Bill thanks for all the info. I will trying out some Wolf and I will post results for all who care to look. And thanks to all who have posted their views on this subject
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times.  I must be lucky because I've never had any of the catastrophic failures a few others "CLAIM" to have had with Wolf ammo.  I think everyone will agree that Wolf is definetely not competition ammo.  I think everyone will also agree that the lacquer coating on the primer will melt after a few hundred rounds of full auto fire.  For normal plinking ammo, Wolf is just fine.  Those that tell you different are straight lying to you.  Yes, Olympic Arms has put out a warning about lacquered ammo.  That warning is because of the guns they got back for warranty work that someone used and abused by  rapid firing a couple thousand rounds of the stuff through it.  Normal shooting will not glue your chamber shut.  Emptying a magazine as fast as you can is not normal shooting.  This is called rapid firing.  Any ammo you use will eventually misfeed during extreme rapid firing.

For all you guys that have test fired Wolf and still "claim" it is junk, I'll be more than happy to take your remaining Wolf ammo off your hands for free and shoot it in my guns.  Send me an e-mail and I'll give you the address where to send your remaining Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never had any catastrophic failures with it, but I have had it fail to feed correctly after a couple hundred rounds, due to the laquer from what I understand. Hell, I got it all over my hands after loading mags. I use it all the time in my AK's but would just as soon buy some cheap brass surplus for a few dollars more when shooting my Bushmaster.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I think 95thfoot hit the nail on the head.  You could should shoot Wolf thru your AR, but why?  South Afrcian is great ammo for about the same price.  Shooot the Wolf thru your AKs.  Wolf works great in all 3 of my AKs.  About the chrome lined bore thing with Wolf ammo, all of my AKs have chrome lined bores.  That was the way the AK was designed!  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I have shot this crap with no problems but will now only shhot brass the steel cases are hard on the chamber
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would shoot WOLF ammo through an AR-15 when South African milsurp and commercial (DENEL) 5.56 ammo is available for CHEAPER (11 cents a round) and it's RELOADABLE!!

Get it at the sites below, among other places! Don't put crap in an expensive gun.

www.aimsurplus.com
www.ammoman.com
View Quote

You wont find ANY 223 ammo from ammoman for less than 18 cents per round. Thats almost twice the price of wolf 223.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:04:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can't understand why people shoot shit ammo through their guns. You never find out how
accurate it is shooting crap ammo. You pay big
bucks for the gun and shoot shit out of it.
SBEM
View Quote

Well, when you have tons of money Hangfire, an ar15 or m16 isn't very expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top