Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 10:08:27 PM EDT
Took my Oly Arms AR-15 rifle to the gunshow today trying to sell it. The rifle is 99% plus like new. Was asking $600 for a $800 plus rifle. Got lot of attention because it has a non standard 24" barrel. Had many dealers look at it and various private potential buyers look at it. When they found out my price, all said it was worth it, but just did not quite have the cash. Had one man folloing me for 1/2 hour trying to buy it for $400 or dealers trying to trade some crap used $300 hunting rifle for it. Makes me wonder why cheap asses even go to the gun show? You have to pay to play. I am not rich, but do know what I can afford. This would be like me going down to the local Hummer dealer and trying to by a Hummer for $15,000, it ain't going to happen folks. These cheap asses really wasted alot of my time getting drool all over my rifle for nothing. Hell, I should have charged $5 for holding it and made some money that way.
Anyway, since I was not going to give the rifle away, I think it was a sign from god to just keep the rifle.
Rant mode off:

Hootbro
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ahh, someone seeing the "other side" of things for the first time.  I love it, especially seeing all the posts that say bad things about dealers.

Everyone who goes to a show is either looking to make money or looking for a good deal.  Everyone has a right to charge whatever they wish for anything, and everyone has a right to walk away from a bad deal.  If this goes on long enough, prices will eventually come down, and people will buy.  It's called the free market.  This is a GOOD thing.  And the best thing you can do, as a buyer or seller, is to buy only when you're getting value.

-Troy
View Quote

I understand free market and "value". THe rifle I was selling was a "value", what these people who could acted like they could not even afford to make  rent and probably took the bus to the gunshow wanted, was a steal. I had many dealers that looked at the rifle tell me it was very much worth what I wanted. The only reason that they did not buy it at the wholesale price I was selling, is that the AR market is flooded with rifles from the post Y2K scare sell off and people saturating the market this time of year selling their AR's for the Tax man. It was no sweat off my back for not selling it.

Regards,
Hootbro
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
My funniest gunshow line i heard from a customer along these lines was:
Guy is looking at my table full of ammo and i asked him,can i help you.He replied:
No thanks, i spent all my money at the door, to get in here.
Eric the ammoman
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]
One gun show I had some postban Bushy lowers(complete) and was asking a fair price.

Some chump dealer said he could get them for $150.00 complete.  Ya sure dickwad.

Dalphon lowers were selling for more than what I was asking.

Hey dealers!

So the dealer price $150.00 huh?

Funny how I ended up selling them to a very well known gun store for a lot more.

So cheap asses also operate tables at gun shows.  But we already knew that didn't we?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
The only reason I go to a gun show is to get a killer deal.
If it is the same as my local gun shops, I will support my local guy.
"I plead guilty"
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Gun sales tend to drop off right at this time.  People have to pay taxes, the economy weighs heavy on people's minds, few people have their refund checks if they're getting any, and most people pay their major bills (like mortgage or child support) at the end of the month.  There's a multitude of reasons, but as SS109 says, I go to the show to get a deal.  I find them all the time, so it's worth going even if I don't find any that time.  

Usually when someone asks your price, you reply, and say "it's worth it but I don't have the cash, etc" they're just looking for an exit out.  It's when somebody actually gives you an offer that they're serious.  Also take into consideration that not everyone is interested in a 24" barrel, but may be intrigued to give it a go if they could get one cheap enough.  Anything non-standard appeals to a smaller market than a standard model.  All you can do is exactly what you did.  Walk around with it and try to sell it.  Your odds were higher at the gunshow that you'd find someone interested in it, and higher that you'd have alot of tire kickers.  Larger population, so you'll have a higher prospect to buyer ratio.

As for the dealers, it's nothing personal.  It's all about how low you buy, not how high you sell that makes you money.

I've noticed the for sale board is pretty slow lately as well.  Have you tried over there?  Good luck selling it.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
its an oly what do you expect?!?
Brand new olys at the Lakeland gunshow $600.00.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the opportunity to go to this show also. I have to admit Hangfire it was one of the better ones I have seen, but the the thread goes above there were some deals and then there were some rip offs too.

Quoted:
its an oly what do you expect?!?
Brand new olys at the Lakeland gunshow $600.00.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought that the gun shows where originally designed for different vendors to gather and display different items at a good price. The dealers know this expectation and place high prices on items to primarily target the people who go based on this expectation and don't bother doing any type of price research prior to attending the show.

I usually go with a list of items and prices from local dealers and web sites. If a dealer is willing to match or beat a price I will happily buy from them. I have given plenty of opportunities to different dealers for different ammo at the last show and the dealers would not only ignore the offer, but would not budge from their extremely high prices. That fine by me because the extremely fat dealer with his 86 inch waist line can use the extra exercise moving his boxes of ammo back on to the truck.

OK, done ranting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Hootbro, I feel your pain, brother!  I was at a show with an AR trying to sell it.  Also an Oly, but had a Versa Pod and a Simmons Scope mounted on a carry handle.  Had several people look at it, and handfull of people really acted interested, even the sheriff guy there suggested I make a picture of it to post on their board for the officers to look at.  He said they would be buying soon.  (I didn't do that)  Everyone who saw it said it was the best looking rifle there, but no one wanted to pay what I was asking (and I wasn't making any profit at that price either).  Anyway, I got offers of $200-$300 less than I was asking for it.  It was a NEW rifle, never fired except for the factory check.  

All in all, I walked around with a fairly heavy AR all day long, and nothing to show for it.  I still have it, and am now changing out the upper for a flattop, and the standard handguard for a freefloat tube.  That means I'm keeping it for a while!  :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been in the same situation. I think a lot of people now view a guy carrying a gun-for-sale on his back @ a gun show as being desperate for cash.

You obviously did the right thing by viewing it as a sign to keep your rifle. Free market IS what it's all about, but being a sucker doesn't have to be anyones role. Sometimes to just keep walking is your best bet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Whether you're a dealer or a guy buying a ticket to get in to the show, people do expect you to give your stuff away.  Some people even act offended when you won't give it away.  Unless you're really desperate for cash, don't accept anything below a fair offer.  If you think a price is too high shop around and find a better one.  If you can't find a better one then don't expect the guy to give it away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
unless i can get a killer deal from a privete seller ill buy at the local gun store.to me 200 bucks off what you paid for it aint worth it.ill pay the extra 200 for new in the box(vigin iron)now if i could get it for a real deal and there again im not interested in 24 inch barrel,id pay 400 for it maby.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know if I'm off here, but I'd think that buying from an individual would be better than from a dealer.  MAIN reason being,  . . . . . . . . . No stupid NICS to put your name and info on!!!!!

Oh well, I got this rifle without paper work, I probably be well advised to keep it.  Such deals don't come around that often.  :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I quit going to gun shows awhile back. I am a dealer and I am sick of all the bullshit. I am willing to bet that that here in South Eastern New Mexico Half of the people who show up spent there last dollar to get in the show. I am sick of people who think the 3 bucks they pay gets them the right to finger f%#k all the guns on my table. And most of the so called dealers at the gun shows don't have a clue. I find that my best customers have been scared away from the shows. Its a real shame thing have gotten this bad. I can remember when the gun shows were great fun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#16]
If I were selling $600 might sound good...But if I were buying $600 is to many bones. For me anyway...I would not give $600 for an "oddball" gun if I can go to a dealer an buy a MT6731 Colt 16" Hbar for $725. Now I said "oddball" not insulting your gun but because I personally do not want one. Someone else might or probably does you just need to wait for that person.
E-mail me if you are still considering selling it and I can post it on my bulletin board and see if anyone is interested.
I have passed on BM's for sale for $500 because they had been shot to much for me but they sold to other people.
Lynn  [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually, here's a good way to handle this type of thing.  

Charge $5 to hold the weapon, refundable upon purchase.  

I got a lot of bitching when I did that with my UZI Model A semiauto, but I didn't care.  Everyone backed away, and only two serious individuals touched the weapon after I started my policy.

And yes--  it sold for $1,700.00 CASH [to a dealer].

Mike
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Mike,
That's not a bad idea. If you don't mind me asking where do live that you can get $1700.00 for a semi auto Uzi? They sure are way cheaper than that out here were I live.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to really enjoy the shows I go to.  

Now, you rarely run across a good deal on any weapons.  People seem to think way more of their stuff than I do.

Generally if I am looking for a cetrain weapon I go exclusively through my local FFL.

As he is also my friend I prefer to deal with him.

The shows are only good for ammo I can't get locally and various accessories and trinkets.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top