Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 160
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To some extent, you can thank Mark Donahue's wife.  Despite signing stacks of releases, going on record as saying that if *ANYTHING* ever went wrong, it was his fault because he pushed the car so far, after his death she was awarded $9.6M, laying the groundwork for future litigation every time someone is hurt or killed in a racing incident.
View Quote
And NO doubt ONLY because of greed (despite any fake tears shed for the cameras). I hate that stuff. You married a RACER. He died doing an extremely risky pursuit. END of discussion. If I was on a jury for that kind of case, I wouldn't award a penny. A rock star's wife who marries him knows exactly who he is has no realistic right to expect him to become a monk. And a race driver's wife shouldn't be able to win judgement for her husband losing to the odds. It just sucks the juice out of life a little more for humanity.

Being 100% "safe" is an illusion and not what life is really about period. I've been saying for years that we're litigating ourselves right out of true quality of life.  And it seems to be in turbo mode in the present day. I blame greedy plaintiffs and tort lawyers. When I was a kid and you broke your leg jumping on your neighbor's trampoline, your own parent slapped you upside the head and said "being a dumbass is painfull". Now your parent sues that family and their insurance company,  and then goes on vacation and gets a new car. "YAY!!! Little Johnny just won the lotto!" Sue your doctor. Sue your family member. Sue your employer. Sue every company or entity who makes life more tolerable. Hand ALL the money and power to lawyers, courts, and lawmakers. The end game is a lawyer class and the rest of us. If that doesn't sound like a hellish existence, I dunno what does.

P.S. On the other hand, a modern French Revolution that disposed of most lawyers, courts, and lawmakers would have the single most productive effect on society that you could imagine. They've manipulated, perverted, and complicated the law precisely to seize power from the common man... despite most of the altruistic bullshit that most would spout about their fake desire to make things better for the common man. The simple beauty of the Constitution and the Golden Rule have been replaced by an alien and worthless language. Racing, football, and everything else will be casualty to this "improvement" of quality of life for the masses. But hey... at least the "law magicians" will be doing well. Unless they want to watch racing or football, get medical care, etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And NO doubt ONLY because of greed (despite any fake tears shed for the cameras). I hate that stuff. You married a RACER. He died doing an extremely risky pursuit. END of discussion. If I was on a jury for that kind of case, I wouldn't award a penny. A rock star's wife who marries him knows exactly who he is has no realistic right to expect him to become a monk. And a race driver's wife shouldn't be able to win judgement for her husband losing to the odds. It just sucks the juice out of life a little more for humanity.

Being 100% "safe" is an illusion and not what life is really about period. I've been saying for years that we're litigating ourselves right out of true quality of life.  And it seems to be in turbo mode in the present day. I blame greedy plaintiffs and tort lawyers. When I was a kid and you broke your leg jumping on your neighbor's trampoline, your own parent slapped you upside the head and said "being a dumbass is painfull". Now your parent sues that family and their insurance company,  and then goes on vacation and gets a new car. "YAY!!! Little Johnny just won the lotto!" Sue your doctor. Sue your family member. Sue your employer. Sue every company or entity who makes life more tolerable. Hand ALL the money and power to lawyers, courts, and lawmakers. The end game is a lawyer class and the rest of us. If that doesn't sound like a hellish existence, I dunno what does.

P.S. On the other hand, a modern French Revolution that disposed of most lawyers, courts, and lawmakers would have the single most productive effect on society that you could imagine. They've manipulated, perverted, and complicated the law precisely to seize power from the common man... despite most of the altruistic bullshit that most would spout about their fake desire to make things better for the common man. The simple beauty of the Constitution and the Golden Rule have been replaced by an alien and worthless language. Racing, football, and everything else will be casialty to this "improvement" of quality of life for the masses. But hey... at least the "law magicians" will be doing well. Unless they want to watch racing or football, get medical care, etc.
View Quote
10/10, This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S. On the other hand, a modern French Revolution that disposed of most lawyers, courts, and lawmakers would have the single most productive effect on society that you could imagine. They've manipulated, perverted, and complicated the law precisely to seize power from the common man... despite most of the altruistic bullshit that most would spout about their fake desire to make things better for the common man. The simple beauty of the Constitution and the Golden Rule have been replaced by an alien and worthless language. Racing, football, and everything else will be casialty to this "improvement" of quality of life for the masses. But hey... at least the "law magicians" will be doing well. Unless they want to watch racing or football, get medical care, etc.
Agreed.  100%.

We "Believe" in Darwin's theory of natural selection and the improvement of the species and then throw a wrench in the spokes by protecting the weak, stupid and unfortunate.

Take the Halo away and let Darwin run wild.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My ass.

Simply Have all drivers willing to race sign a paper...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of the halo, but the FIA did say the halo isn't necessarily a permanent answer. They backed themselves into a corner with time tables that they put out and had to pick something. However I think the reality is we're going to be stuck with some sort of protective covering now that it's here. If they took it off for 2019 and someone gets hit with a tire or something and is injured or even killed, that could unfortunately open Liberty Media/FIA to liability.
My ass.

Simply Have all drivers willing to race sign a paper...
I wish the halo would go away just as much as anyone, I'm just saying I think it's going to be difficult to remove safety features once they are put in place. Especially when they put out a report showing  all the incidents across various Motorsports detailing  how the halo would have helped or not helped in each case to justify it. I think they've put themselves in a position that won't be easy to back down from.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've yet to watch the Morocco FE race that's been sitting on my DVR. I should do that. It still irritates the hell out of me when I see these cars flying by without combustion happening. I can't tell whether it sucks more or less than V6s.

Nah... FE sound makes V6s sound slightly less than utterly farty/shitty. They both suck (to listen to).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know fully electric engines are even lamer than V6s, but Formula E just started a couple weeks ago. Tight road courses and comparably competitive cars...it's actually decent racing once you get used to the (lack of) sound.
I've yet to watch the Morocco FE race that's been sitting on my DVR. I should do that. It still irritates the hell out of me when I see these cars flying by without combustion happening. I can't tell whether it sucks more or less than V6s.

Nah... FE sound makes V6s sound slightly less than utterly farty/shitty. They both suck (to listen to).
That was the first race I had ever seen, while it probably won't be something I follow too closely, it will give me something to watch until March at least. It's not like you really get the full sound experience through the tv anyway, so that aspect doesn't bother me too much.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully Red Bull comes up with a more optimistic slogan for 2018

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Subscribed...I hate Halo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you mean increased?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the conditions and track. There were a few races last season where the lap times decreased with the softer compounds, so some teams switched back on to the harder compounds.

Counter intuitive, but the times came down on the softs compared to the super and ultra softs
Do you mean increased?
Yes. I derp'd
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
This cat's got a pretty cool YT channel... I'm sure you're all familiar. Here, he talks about Merc's engine and its ability to be efficient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhmgpkiIfg
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have any info on what ESPN's coverage will look like? Who will be commentating? Google returns no real info...

m
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone have any info on what ESPN's coverage will look like? Who will be commentating? Google returns no real info...

m
View Quote
and I'm looking for a fantasy league run by them
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

and I'm looking for a fantasy league run by them
View Quote
Hope they bring it back for F1 and NASCAR. That was a fun league back in the day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]
A bit discouraging about the lack of PR from ESPN in regards to their upcoming F1 coverage
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A bit discouraging about the lack of PR from ESPN in regards to their upcoming F1 coverage
View Quote
They’ve probably forgotten about it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a shame because NBC and Hobbs/Matchett/Diffey put on a show and were making headway with American audiences. A generic world feed broadcast from ESPN will basically take two steps back from all of that progress. Sad!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's a shame because NBC and Hobbs/Matchett/Diffey put on a show and were making headway with American audiences. A generic world feed broadcast from ESPN will basically take two steps back from all of that progress. Sad!
View Quote
NBC would not allow for any online options to watch races and only aired two of the races on network TV. That is only progress compared to TV in the 1970’s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shocking!!!  I can't imagine Formula 1 taking backward steps!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
From Force India to just 'Force'? Thats it?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#21]
There was a Major Indoor Soccer team in Cleveland called The Force, or Cleveland Force. They used to have Darth Vader walk out during games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Force_(1978%E2%80%9388)
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Is John Force getting into racing with corners?!?!?!

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Bernie may be gone, but his spirit lives on.

Possible Vietnam Grand Prix

Vietnam appears to be on track to get a slot on the Formula One calendar with sources suggesting there could be an announcement about a street race in the south-east Asian country in the coming weeks.

“Vietnam street race is what they are going to announce,” said one source. It is believed that the race is planned for the streets of Vietnam’s capital Hanoi but it has not yet been officially announced so it could still fail to get to the finish line. It is no secret that a plan for a race in the country is in the works.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There was a Major Indoor Soccer team in Cleveland called The Force, or Cleveland Force. They used to have Darth Vader walk out during games.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I remember seeing them at Ritchfield Coliseum as a kid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please no.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss the Palace on the Prairie.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uggggghhhhhh... that doesn't appeal to me AT ALL.

OTOH... I've always wanted to see a Las Vegas Strip night race. That would be awesome. Maybe put pit row in the Bellagio drop-off in front. Would be cool to see the cars screaming around in front of the fountains, etc. Yeah... I'm just fantasizing out loud. But the wife and I enjoy our Vegas trips and I can guarantee you that we'd be at every single Vegas GP if they could ever make it happen. People come to Vegas from all over the world. Not that other F1 cities don't get some of that as well. But Vietnam, Baku, etc versus Vegas isn't even a contest in terms of international spectacle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
So excited to see some real sports car racing this weekend instead of this ridiculous parade of egos, dollars and politics.

Real Racing 2018
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
They talked about doing one in Greece too, even laid the track out. I didn't think it was ever a good idea and I don't think it'll ever happen.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They talked about doing one in Greece too, even laid the track out. I didn't think it was ever a good idea and I don't think it'll ever happen.
View Quote
Greece was always such a great economic investment.  Makes complete sense.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]
The halo is garbage and looks like it was designed by someone in the aero department. The FIA's justification was to stop an incident like what happened to Massa at Spa, except there's still a massive gap under it where debris can still hit the driver. If you want to be enclosed in the car then race WEC, WRC, or Le Man.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So excited to see some real sports car racing this weekend instead of this ridiculous parade of egos, dollars and politics.

Real Racing 2018
View Quote
Yup! Stoked for Daytona. Have it all set up on the DVR. Considering how brutally disappointing the V6 era has been... I'll take WEC for excitement any day over F1. So sad that my formerly favorite form of motorsport has come to such a sad, pathetic state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yup! Stoked for Daytona. Have it all set up on the DVR. Considering how brutally disappointing the V6 era has been... I'll take WEC for excitement any day over F1. So sad that my formerly favorite form of motorsport has come to such a sad, pathetic state.
View Quote
IMSA, not WEC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

NBC would not allow for any online options to watch races and only aired two of the races on network TV. That is only progress compared to TV in the 1970’s.
View Quote
I don't think that is true, I watched a bunch of races online on NBC sports website last year...
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#35]
only thing that makes me happier than vettel getting shit on is vettel shitting on himself
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't think that is true, I watched a bunch of races online on NBC sports website last year...
View Quote
Yes but,

1: You still need a cable/sat subscribtion to NBC sports to log in. Many young people don’t use cable anymore.

2: There was no alturnitive option. NBC would not allow for any competition in the US. If you don’t like the ESPN coverage (or don’t have a subscription), you have the option the buy online coverage, just like WEC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

IMSA, not WEC.
View Quote
You are correct. Typing faster than I was thinking. Regardless... both do share some car types.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
only thing that makes me happier than vettel getting shit on is vettel shitting on himself
View Quote
Max fan? Or Ham fan?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Max fan? Or Ham fan?
View Quote
Button fan
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Button fan
View Quote
I like Button a lot (and wish he was still driving). But I like Seb more.

One is a four-time champion. So you must've had some shitty years.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like Button a lot (and wish he was still driving). But I like Seb more.

One is a four-time champion. So you must've had some shitty years.
View Quote
More than made up for by Ferrari's second half collapse
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
More than made up for by Ferrari's second half collapse
View Quote
As a Button fan, I would think that your love for McLaren (and resulting disappointment in them running nearly last on the paddock with some of the best drivers) would have outweighed any hatred you may have for Ferrari and/or Seb. I know that my disappointment at Ferrari's collapse was greater than my complete disdain for Mercedes. But hey... that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As a Button fan, I would think that your love for McLaren (and resulting disappointment in them running nearly last on the paddock with some of the best drivers) would have outweighed any hatred you may have for Ferrari and/or Seb. I know that my disappointment at Ferrari's collapse was greater than my complete disdain for Mercedes. But hey... that's just me.
View Quote
My dislike of Alonso cancels out my love of McLaren. The way he left Renault, basically phoning in the last half of the season, was disgusting in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I know it's not F1 but it was the most action filled car racing I've seen in a long time.  One of the CBS stations carried the Goodwood Revival from last September in England.  The cars, the history, the pageantry were awesome.

It takes a lot of balls but I am glad these owners actually use these multi-million dollar and often irreplaceable cars.  In one race, three Ferraris:  250 SWB, 250LM and a 275 GTO.  Just think of that money alone.  One driver pulled off the extremely difficult....and expensive..."Quad"  as he left the track in his AC Cobra and by the time he stopped spinning, he managed to mangle all four corners of the car.  Holy expensive rebuild Batman!.

Anyway, it was great to see.  I think they show it every once in awhile so you may be able to catch it.

Forza Ferrari
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Caught a glimpse of Alonso at Daytona his weekend! There were 87 billion people all trying to get his autograph. Had to stand on a table to see him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know it's not F1 but it was the most action filled car racing I've seen in a long time.  One of the CBS stations carried the Goodwood Revival from last September in England.  The cars, the history, the pageantry were awesome.

It takes a lot of balls but I am glad these owners actually use these multi-million dollar and often irreplaceable cars.  In one race, three Ferraris:  250 SWB, 250LM and a 275 GTO.  Just think of that money alone.  One driver pulled off the extremely difficult....and expensive..."Quad"  as he left the track in his AC Cobra and by the time he stopped spinning, he managed to mangle all four corners of the car.  Holy expensive rebuild Batman!.

Anyway, it was great to see.  I think they show it every once in awhile so you may be able to catch it.

Forza Ferrari
View Quote
That last race was as competitive as races get!

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#47]
It's official: Alonso to race entire 2018-2019 WEC calendar with Toyota

Fernando Alonso has been cleared to compete in this year's Le Mans 24-hour endurance race with Toyota by McLaren.

As reported by Sky F1 on Monday, the team have also agreed to permit the Spaniard to compete in the other rounds of the World Endurance Championship which begin in May.

However, stressing that both parties are 'in full agreement that Formula 1 remains their shared top priority', McLaren have confirmed Alonso will miss the Japanese leg of the WEC season as it clashes with F1's United States GP in late October.

"I've never been shy about my aim of winning motorsport's 'Triple Crown' - the Monaco Grand Prix, the Indy 500, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans," said Alonso. "We tried for Indy last year, came close, but just missed out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Given Toyota's recent performance at Le Mans, he seems to have picked the right manufacturer to have more of what he did last year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Uggggghhhhhh... that doesn't appeal to me AT ALL.

OTOH... I've always wanted to see a Las Vegas Strip night race. That would be awesome. Maybe put pit row in the Bellagio drop-off in front. Would be cool to see the cars screaming around in front of the fountains, etc. Yeah... I'm just fantasizing out loud. But the wife and I enjoy our Vegas trips and I can guarantee you that we'd be at every single Vegas GP if they could ever make it happen. People come to Vegas from all over the world. Not that other F1 cities don't get some of that as well. But Vietnam, Baku, etc versus Vegas isn't even a contest in terms of international spectacle.
View Quote
What about just getting Imola, Estoril back ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The halo is garbage and looks like it was designed by someone in the aero department. The FIA's justification was to stop an incident like what happened to Massa at Spa, except there's still a massive gap under it where debris can still hit the driver. If you want to be enclosed in the car then race WEC, WRC, or Le Man.
View Quote
The Halo makes no sense whatsoever..

It wouldn't have saved JB or Massa...

When was the last time you saw a wheel come off a F1 car ?
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top