Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 160
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Mercedes dominance issue is a tough one.

It does suck to see one team dominate to this degree.  However, it's certainly not a new phenomenon.  We've seen eras of dominance from Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, and Red Bull.  To a smaller degree, Renault as well.

Mercedes dominance is most similar to the Red Bull/Vettel era, though to a higher degree, and for a longer period, I think.  I'd have to research the results and lap times.

What I don't want to see is the FIA stick it to Mercedes specifically.  I'd rather see a solution where they allow all teams to improve between, and throughout the seasons.  Maybe allow more changes and testing.  If Mercedes takes better advantage of this, then so be it.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the FIA made rules changes that were specifically aimed at breaking RBR's dominance.

I don't want the FIA to pick favorites, even if it would benefit my favorite teams and drivers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I think we're ALL in agreement on this.

Do we have any non-devil's-advocate halo supporters??

Come out and face your beating.
Zactly! Like I said... Halos suck. V6s suck. The FIA sucks. Ferrari blows races. Merc's dominance is far beyond old.

It does suck to see one team dominate to this degree.  However, it's certainly not a new phenomenon.  We've seen eras of dominance from Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, and Red Bull.  To a smaller degree, Renault as well.

Mercedes dominance is most similar to the Red Bull/Vettel era, though to a higher degree, and for a longer period, I think.  I'd have to research the results and lap times.

What I don't want to see is the FIA stick it to Mercedes specifically.  I'd rather see a solution where they allow all teams to improve between, and throughout the seasons.  Maybe allow more changes and testing.  If Mercedes takes better advantage of this, then so be it.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the FIA made rules changes that were specifically aimed at breaking RBR's dominance.

I don't want the FIA to pick favorites, even if it would benefit my favorite teams and drivers.
I've been watching a lot of Blancpain, WEC and IMSA in the last 3-4 years and quite frankly, after being a staunch opponent of BOP, I've swung 180 degrees.  The racing is amazing and I really enjoy watching good racing.

I only watch F1 any more to watch the best driver on the planet, pilot the chosen-by-God McLaren around at the front of the parade.

Seriously....  I think the only hope for F1 is a format that employs some form of BOP.

BTW....  I'm a huge Kimi fan and I really appreciate the passion that Max brings to the mix.  I'm going to enjoy watching him mature and piss off everybody else on the grid in the meantime.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's similar to the Ferrari/Schumacher era.

Of the (4) Red Bull/Vettel championships, two went down to the final race with possible winners from multiple teams (in the first, Vettel only lead the Championship during the final race).
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I totally agree. I don't want rules aimed at anyone in particular. I want winners to be legit winners. Even if the winner is your team/driver, it's hollow if they were carried by an organization. I was a Seb guy even when he was at RBR, so I was mostly happy then. But part of that happiness was badass sounding V8s. Between that being history and Merc's dominance... the past four years have been a beat-down for me and honestly, I get more excited about WEC racing than F1 any more. I used to have all of this anticipation leading up to F1 season (same with the NFL). But the past few years, I almost dread putting myself through another season (in both sports). I'm pretty much done with the NFL, and don't think that I'll last much longer in F1 if things don't get jumbled a bit. The boring predictability of it all is brutal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally agree. I don't want rules aimed at anyone in particular. I want winners to be legit winners. Even if the winner is your team/driver, it's hollow if they were carried by an organization. I was a Seb guy even when he was at RBR, so I was mostly happy then. But part of that happiness was badass sounding V8s. Between that being history and Merc's dominance... the past four years have been a beat-down for me and honestly, I get more excited about WEC racing than F1 any more. I used to have all of this anticipation leading up to F1 season (same with the NFL). But the past few years, I almost dread putting myself through another season (in both sports). I'm pretty much done with the NFL, and don't think that I'll last much longer in F1 if things don't get jumbled a bit. The boring predictability of it all is brutal.
I honestly thing F1's biggest failing is that it has become so aero dependent.  Sure the cars are fast as all get out,  but if you get within 2 seconds of the car in front of you, you lose all front end grip, and beat the hell out of your tires.

It almost makes me wonder how competitive the cars would be if F1 went back to single element wings, and you allowed teams to adjust settings on the car after the second practice session.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I honestly thing F1's biggest failing is that it has become so aero dependent.  Sure the cars are fast as all get out,  but if you get within 2 seconds of the car in front of you, you lose all front end grip, and beat the hell out of your tires.

It almost makes me wonder how competitive the cars would be if F1 went back to single element wings, and you allowed teams to adjust settings on the car after the second practice session.
View Quote
Ross Brawn is trying to fix that, I think the cars will end up with larger floors and fewer fancy wings in 2021 as a result.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ross Brawn is trying to fix that, I think the cars will end up with larger floors and fewer fancy wings in 2021 as a result.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't care what it takes....   I just want racing from flag to flag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#7]
This happened back in March '17, I heard him say in an interview a few months back that part of the solution was larger floors.

Formula 1 seeks to create a passing committee  Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/formula-1-seeks-create-passing-committee#ixzz53VpKbIMc

Formula 1 officials will look into producing rules that encourage more overtaking without resorting to artificial measures like the drag reduction system.

That is the claim of the league’s new sporting director Ross Brawn, one of the new chiefs in the post-Bernie Ecclestone era. Brawn told the French magazine Auto Hebdo he supports the much faster cars that have arrived this season but fears the improved downforce will mean overtaking is more difficult than ever before.

"If it turns out that is the case, then that will motivate the search for solutions," said Brawn. "It's a difficult problem because we want to have cars that are quick but that can follow their opponents on the track.

"Is there a solution? Yes, but we need to put together the right people and give them a year and a half to find the answer."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/formula-1-seeks-create-passing-committee#ixzz53VpOe9AU
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Whos ass did he have to kiss to get this?
Daniil Kvyat back in Formula 1 as he joins Ferrari as development driver

Daniil Kvyat has been handed a surprise Formula 1 lifeline by Ferrari after being confirmed as the team's new development driver.

The announcement comes just three months after the Russian was axed by Toro Rosso and rules out the prospect of Kvyat, who has two podiums and 133 points in his 72 career starts, taking the 2018 Williams seat.

Ferrari have not yet specified what they expect of Kvyat this season, but he joins Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi in the Scuderia's reserve ranks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kissing?  That must have required full on cock gargling.

And since i hadn't posted yet,

The halo sucks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wonder if Vettel wanted this to keep Kvyat off the track during races.  He cannot repeatedly rear end Vettel if he doesn't start.  I imagine that they may not be overly friendly in the paddock though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if Vettel wanted this to keep Kvyat off the track during races.  He cannot repeatedly rear end Vettel if he doesn't start.  I imagine that they may not be overly friendly in the paddock though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, but he can destroy his car during FP1, when development drivers usually drive the cars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, but he can destroy his car during FP1, when development drivers usually drive the cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A more accurate description of his position would probably be "Russian Brand Ambassador" rather than someone who will ever drive on a GP weekend.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since I have never been impressed by Grosjean, I am not sure I would rely on HaasF1 for driver picks.

If they really want to be America's F1 team I think at least 1 American driver would be in order.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Call Rossi
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
2018 car differences

F1 Explained: 2018 Rule Changes
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hunter-Reay
Newgarden
Rossi
Rahal

Four Americans who could drive in F1 right now. So could Scott Dixon and he’d probably be quite good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#18]
10 Saturdays until quali in Melborne
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
2018 car differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19iZaAusT3E
View Quote
There's no way I can enjoy looking at a car with this shit on
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#20]
They really are trying to make it as difficult as possible to remain fans...
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There's no way I can enjoy looking at a car with this shit on
View Quote
I will miss shark fins and t-wings.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Any word on Indycar adopting the halo?  
After we lost Justin Wilson, there was a lot of concern.  Understandably so.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Stolen from another thread

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stolen from another thread

https://i.imgur.com/D95ntUl.gif
View Quote
How you gonna do Ferrari like that at Monza!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DThHDZWX4AEdlpc.jpg
View Quote
That could be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get the money back from the designers and then find new designers who can come up with a logo that doesn't look like a piece of crap.

And get rid of the halos, electric motors and turbos while you are at it.

Make F1 Great Again!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

F1 Formula 1 Logo Review Critique
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the HALO

I'm not a fan of the halo, but the FIA did say the halo isn't necessarily a permanent answer. They backed themselves into a corner with time tables that they put out and had to pick something. However I think the reality is we're going to be stuck with some sort of protective covering now that it's here. If they took it off for 2019 and someone gets hit with a tire or something and is injured or even killed, that could unfortunately open Liberty Media/FIA to liability.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#32]
The current formula is a little boring. The cars are faster than ever but the racing is boring and it’s a total Mercedes fest. I’m hoping Ferrari fixes themselves (which is something since I can’t stand them) and can actually challenge down the stretch.

The halo and no shark fin is a step backwards.

Meanwhile, indycar is making all the right moves, hopefully: new aero kit that reduces downforce, gorgeous new styling, etc. The videos coming out of pre-season testing look amazing with the cars sliding all over the place. Hopefully that will actually give us some great racing. I’m not holding out hope for a similar result in formula 1.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The current formula is a little boring. The cars are faster than ever but the racing is boring and it's a total Mercedes fest. I'm hoping Ferrari fixes themselves (which is something since I can't stand them) and can actually challenge down the stretch.

The halo and no shark fin is a step backwards.

Meanwhile, indycar is making all the right moves, hopefully: new aero kit that reduces downforce, gorgeous new styling, etc. The videos coming out of pre-season testing look amazing with the cars sliding all over the place. Hopefully that will actually give us some great racing. I'm not holding out hope for a similar result in formula 1.
View Quote
I know fully electric engines are even lamer than V6s, but Formula E just started a couple weeks ago. Tight road courses and comparably competitive cars...it's actually decent racing once you get used to the (lack of) sound.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am depressed. I was really holding out for his return. I have Williams merch in my amazon cart waiting to be purchased.
View Quote
Looks like he will be the reserve and development driver.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Williams officialy announce Sergey Sirotkin as 2nd driver

Williams also officialy announce Kubica as reserve and development driver

While bummed Kubica was bumped by a Russian, did anyone ever imagine he'd make it this far back into F1 after his rallying accident? I hope to see him in some practice sessions and hopefully completing a race in 2018.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Merc teasing the W09.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#37]
It would be faster if it had hypersofts on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok wait.

I don't pay that much attention to F1 any more, and I saw this picture and went momentarily insane.

I quickly recovered, certain that this was some kind of testing mule.

This absurdity is real?

Is this real life?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ok wait.

I don't pay that much attention to F1 any more, and I saw this picture and went momentarily insane.

This absurdity is real?

Is this real life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ok wait.

This absurdity is real?

Is this real life?
Yes, this is the 2018 season.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Ferrari will be unveiling their car on February 22nd.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of the halo, but the FIA did say the halo isn't necessarily a permanent answer. They backed themselves into a corner with time tables that they put out and had to pick something. However I think the reality is we're going to be stuck with some sort of protective covering now that it's here. If they took it off for 2019 and someone gets hit with a tire or something and is injured or even killed, that could unfortunately open Liberty Media/FIA to liability.
View Quote
My ass.

Simply Have all drivers willing to race sign a paper...
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I know fully electric engines are even lamer than V6s, but Formula E just started a couple weeks ago. Tight road courses and comparably competitive cars...it's actually decent racing once you get used to the (lack of) sound.
View Quote
The lack of sound is a total turn off.

The fact that they mostly go on city tracks is another.

It's formula S like shit not formula E
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
How they have to use the V8/V10 sound track dubbed over in that video is so sad. Mercedes does the same stuff in their AMG commercials .
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Depends on the conditions and track. There were a few races last season where the lap times deincreased (derp) with the softer compounds, so some teams switched back on to the harder compounds.

Counter intuitive, but the times came down on the softs compared to the super and ultra softs
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Depends on the conditions and track. There were a few races last season where the lap times decreased with the softer compounds, so some teams switched back on to the harder compounds.

Counter intuitive, but the times came down on the softs compared to the super and ultra softs
View Quote
Do you mean increased?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've yet to watch the Morocco FE race that's been sitting on my DVR. I should do that. It still irritates the hell out of me when I see these cars flying by without combustion happening. I can't tell whether it sucks more or less than V6s.

Nah... FE sound makes V6s sound slightly less than utterly farty/shitty. They both suck (to listen to).
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My ass.

Simply Have all drivers willing to race sign a paper...
View Quote
Yup. Racing used to be a man's (GLADIATOR'S) sport, reserved for men with 'YUGE balls of brass. You can still find that kind of racing, but it's not on tracks with wide, sandy run-out areas and padded barriers. It's on the Isle of Man.

I'm not saying that it doesn't take balls and skill to race Formula One (or any other form of high speed racing). But the level of commitment and willingness to pay the ultimate price for one's passion isn't even in the same universe. When guys race and it's the expectation that they'll climb out of their cars and walk away (Alonso's crash being a prime example of that safety factor), that by definition takes less balls then the expectation that you'll be seriously maimed or killed if you make a mistake. Guys like Kvyat, Maldonado, and even Max are proof of that difference. They're young, so fear doesn't play the same role as it generally does with older guys. But they were raised in the world of Karting and sim racing, where mistakes aren't likely to result in your death. While guys like Jon McGuinness and Guy Martin are letting it ALL hang out there. Valentino Rossi and Sebastian Vettel are my two main racing heros. But the amount of risk they're taking and the commitment aren't anywhere close to the TT racers. Also, besides TT racing happening on "virgin" roads, with no shoulders, going rightt through towns... it's truly all for racing glory. The money sure can't be that great. That makes it a far more "pure" form of racing in my opinion. It's only an opinion, but nevertheless... as a racing fan that's my prerogative. No guts, no glory!!!

Btw... McGuinness is my favorite "pure" racer. The guy is friggin OLD (by athletic standards) and I can't believe the kind of balls it would take to race at his level at ANY age, much less his age. It's ridiculous.

Also... I don't root for ANY racer to be injured or die (though I wouldn't mind seeing Ham fall down and break a wrist during a drunken Hollywood party). But then again... racing (and football, and every other sport) is becoming so sanitized that it borders on completely boring. As opposed to on-bike footage on the Isle of Man... where it looks like everything has been sped up... as the bikes are flying within inches of stone fences, walls, people, animals, trees, etc, etc, etc. The excitement factor as a fan is immensely more for me than watching cars/bikes go around tracks with very few things flying buy in close proximity to give the perspective of speed. Sure, there are places like Monaco and Singapore on the F1 calendar. But it's still just not the same. I still watch. But I don't get near as excited to watch as I do for the TT.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup. Racing used to be a man's (GLADIATOR'S) sport, reserved for men with 'YUGE balls of brass. You can still find that kind of racing, but it's not on tracks with wide, sandy run-out areas and padded barriers. It's on the Isle of Man.

I'm not saying that it doesn't take balls and skill to race Formula One (or any other form of high speed racing). But the level of commitment and willingness to pay the ultimate price for one's passion isn't even in the same universe. When guys race and it's the expectation that they'll climb out of their cars and walk away (Alonso's crash being a prime example of that safety factor), that by definition takes less balls then the expectation that you'll be seriously maimed or killed if you make a mistake. Guys like Kvyat, Maldonado, and even Max are proof of that difference. They're young, so fear doesn't play the same role as it generally does with older guys. But they were raised in the world of Karting and sim racing, where mistakes aren't likely to result in your death. While guys like Jon McGuinness and Guy Martin are letting it ALL hang out there. Valentino Rossi and Sebastian Vettel are my two main racing heros. But the amount of risk they're taking and the commitment aren't anywhere close to the TT racers. Also, besides TT racing happening on "virgin" roads, with no shoulders, going rightt through towns... it's truly all for racing glory. The money sure can't be that great. That makes it a far more "pure" form of racing in my opinion. It's only an opinion, but nevertheless... as a racing fan that's my prerogative. No guts, no glory!!!

Btw... McGuinness is my favorite "pure" racer. The guy is friggin OLD (by athletic standards) and I can't believe the kind of balls it would take to race at his level at ANY age, much less his age. It's ridiculous.

Also... I don't root for ANY racer to be injured or die (though I wouldn't mind seeing Ham fall down and break a wrist during a drunken Hollywood party). But then again... racing (and football, and every other sport) is becoming so sanitized that it borders on completely boring. As opposed to on-bike footage on the Isle of Man... where it looks like everything has been sped up... as the bikes are flying within inches of stone fences, walls, people, animals, trees, etc, etc, etc. The excitement factor as a fan is immensely more for me than watching cars/bikes go around tracks with very few things flying buy in close proximity to give the perspective of speed. Sure, there are places like Monaco and Singapore on the F1 calendar. But it's still just not the same. I still watch. But I don't get near as excited to watch as I do for the TT.
View Quote
To some extent, you can thank Mark Donahue's wife.  Despite signing stacks of releases, going on record as saying that if *ANYTHING* ever went wrong, it was his fault because he pushed the car so far, after his death she was awarded $9.6M, laying the groundwork for future litigation every time someone is hurt or killed in a racing incident.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top