Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2018 engine noises, anyone?

Mercedes

Ferrari

View Quote
I'll remain skeptical, for now. Is there a rule or reg enabling better noise this year? I know they tried that in '17, without much success in my opinion.

These startup vids are reminding me of  when I was at the Goodwood FOS in 2012, and Mercedes had their 2010 car hooked up to a computer and had it play the "happy Birthday" tune with the revs V8 goodness
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you have Amazon Prime, they released a new documentary called Grand Prix Driver about McLaren's 2017 pre-season development. Very interesting and worth the watch.
View Quote
Very interesting - lots of setup and car building, driver development.

That simulator... drool.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That simulator... drool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have Amazon Prime, they released a new documentary called Grand Prix Driver about McLaren's 2017 pre-season development. Very interesting and worth the watch.

That simulator... drool.
Damit!

I don't geuss I am getting sleep tonight !

ETA: worth the watch for sure!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The majority of the ESPN coverage is going to be the Sky feed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Male feminists = teh militant ghey libs
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Halo and now no grid girls ? What is this fucking faggotry ? Fuck You and your political Correctness Liberty media !

You suck
View Quote
Yup... just one more nail in the coffin. Usually this time of year I am extremely antsy to get to late March. But [un]amazingly, this year I barely give a gay rat's ass.

At least I was able to enjoy Daytona a few weeks ago (Alonso's usual bad luck notwithstanding).
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What about just getting Imola, Estoril back ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uggggghhhhhh... that doesn't appeal to me AT ALL.

OTOH... I've always wanted to see a Las Vegas Strip night race. That would be awesome. Maybe put pit row in the Bellagio drop-off in front. Would be cool to see the cars screaming around in front of the fountains, etc. Yeah... I'm just fantasizing out loud. But the wife and I enjoy our Vegas trips and I can guarantee you that we'd be at every single Vegas GP if they could ever make it happen. People come to Vegas from all over the world. Not that other F1 cities don't get some of that as well. But Vietnam, Baku, etc versus Vegas isn't even a contest in terms of international spectacle.
What about just getting Imola, Estoril back ?
Except we're not likely to make it to one of those races, whereas we already run down to Vegas 1-2x a year.

At the rate F1 is going... I won't be willing to go out of my way to see a race anyways. What drew me in many years ago was the sounds. And that's shot to shit. The wife and I have been talking about going to Austin since the track got the first GP. But the desire to spend gobs of money to fly to Austin (it's costs MUCH more to fly there than it does to Vegas from here), not to mention car rental and added hotel cost (we don't rent a car in Vegas, because we stay on the Strip, and we get our hotel rooms cheap)... it just becomes less desirable to go out of our way and spend loads more cash in this farty-V6, Mercedes-dominated era. Yawner!

The only reason that I even still watch is somehow hoping for SOMETHING... ANYTHING different to happen. That's why 2017's season started-out so promising. And went in the shitter as usual. Hell... I'd even take a few more Max wins just to see SOMETHING notable. If the cars still sounded badass, it might be slightly more tolerable watching the same boring shit year after year. For the guys who don't like Seb... at least the cars still sounded awesome when he was dominant. Between Merc's dominance and the complete shit sound of F1... it's just becoming unbearable anymore. I only keep following this thread to get the gist of F1 news (that I would care about), so that I don't have to browse other sites to find it. I wish there was a way to put the V6 Fairy Fart Genie back in her bottle... but I don't see that happening unfortunately. Thank you Eurofag FIA and/or constructors and your climate change rat motor horseshit!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damit!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That simulator... drool.
Damit!

Ep #2: Built to Fail

A touch prophetic, that...
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll remain skeptical, for now. Is there a rule or reg enabling better noise this year? I know they tried that in '17, without much success in my opinion.

These startup vids are reminding me of  when I was at the Goodwood FOS in 2012, and Mercedes had their 2010 car hooked up to a computer and had it play the "happy Birthday" tune with the revs V8 goodness
View Quote
The only way they're going to get the noise to where I can appreciate it is to get RPMs up to 18-20K, where the V8s left off. Without that, all of their shit is desperate, like taping a popsicle stick to your bike spokes desperate.

Man... what a bygone era the true unlimited forms of sport have become. It's all so PC and watered-down now. These men used to be larger-than-life gladiators. Drivers are still going balls-out, insanely fast, but it's different now. It's the gamer generation where "No Fear" rules, because we can walk away from many/most track incidents. Everything is more safe and less visceral. Not just in F1... in everything.

Honestly, in addition to the Isle of Man TT... it's also why I love watching the summer X-games. The big air and vert (half pipe) events in skate and BMX fascinate me. There's still the wild-west risk element there and not yet a ton of ways that it can be watered-down and made "safe". I don't want to watch ANYONE become seriously injured in sports. But the possibility of that is what makes many sports so alluring. Make 'em all safe, and it loses some mystique. Like watching 200mph bumper cars instead of guys strapping themselves to rocket ships and hoping for the best, and the viewer gasping in the horror at what could have happened during each event. Sure... the speed factor is still there. But the sounds and the risks are disappearing.

ETA: For anyone who thinks that I am casting dispersions at driver skill or bravery... that's not what I'm doing. But things ARE in fact different these days (except at Man and similar few races). And not entirely a good kind of different. I accept that for all kinds of reasons you mostly have to try to improve safety. I get that. Okay... so bring back the V8s and leave that faggoty flip-flop over the cockpit. Racing will still look gay... but at least it won't sound gay as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Possible Mercedes AMG F1 Control Arm layouts:

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Cool art! The complexity of modern F1 cars certainly is more impressive to look at than the heyday cars. And then they ruin the magnificence with those halos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22419223/espn-sky-sports-join-forces-formula-1-2018-world-championship

Seems like this may be ok
But will the race be commercial free?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22419223/espn-sky-sports-join-forces-formula-1-2018-world-championship

Seems like this may be ok

...on ESPN...

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Just for the first 1:20 or so. Dated by today's standards but these were the first overhead and in-car shots ever filmed. Things we don't think twice about today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#17]
^^^^^^^

I think I spotted that on Amazon prime last night
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
^^^^^^^

I think I spotted that on Amazon prime last night
View Quote
It's a good rainy night time kill. The camera work was cutting edge for the times bringing camera angles that had never been seen before. Jackie Stewart and a number of the current day F1 drivers did the driving scenes as well as James Garner (started a love of racing for him) and most of the other actors doing their own driving. It's also a good look at mid-1960s F1 tech. You can FF through the soap opera storyline for the racing scenes. It has a place in your DVD library.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]
A lot of the racing shots done in Grand Prix with the actors were done towing the car.
James Garner did, however, do some driving in the movie.
I remember reading a Popular Science magazine from 1966 or so, and it mentioned that the cars were F-3 cars made to look like F1 cars.
I found the Article!  August 1966 Popular Mechanics
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A lot of the racing shots done in Grand Prix with the actors were done towing the car.
I remember reading a Popular Science magazine from 1966 or so, and it mentioned that the cars were F-3 cars made to look like F1 cars.
View Quote
I had never seen that. Nice find.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is pretty neat.

The article about drum vs disc breaks is also really good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is pretty neat.

The article about drum vs disc breaks is also really good.
View Quote
If you go back to the late 50's, they called disc brakes "pinch brakes".  
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread is dead.

I’m seeing F1 news on fucking Jalopnik before it shows up here.

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Liberty seems to be killing any excitement in F1. IMSA, WEC, Indycar, and ACO have prettier cars and better racing. The noise is much better too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Liberty seems to be killing any excitement in F1. IMSA, WEC, Indycar, and ACO have prettier cars and better racing. The noise is much better too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The lack of any competition for Mercedes over the last 4 seasons has killed most of the excitement.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The lack of any competition for Mercedes over the last 4 seasons has killed most of the excitement.
View Quote
The core fans still watch every weekend. Pissing off your core fans with closed cockpits and sjw shenanigans isn’t going to help.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The core fans still watch every weekend. Pissing off your core fans with closed cockpits and sjw shenanigans isn’t going to help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The core fans could give two shits about halos or grid girls as long as (1) the racing is competitive and (2) they don't turn it into a spec series.

If either of those are missing, people quit watching and start bitching (about the most trivial things).
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The core fans could give two shits about halos or grid girls as long as (1) the racing is competitive and (2) they don't turn it into a spec series.

If either of those are missing, people quit watching and start bitching (about the most trivial things).
View Quote
Sort of agree. I doubt that I'm considered a "core fan", but I'm a long-time fan nevertheless. But the halo pisses me off. It's Johnny Weir gay. There is NO way to make that gay-ass thing not gay. Even if the cars were sporting V12s again, they would still look gay as shit with those things on them. But at least I could tolerate the faggotry more (if I'm going to be stuck with teh gheyness anyways).

Anyways... the lack of competition the past four years has indeed killed-off a lot of interest. It was that and the V6s. I used to LIVE for race coverage. I no longer get twitchy just waiting for my next F1 fix. It's more like "meh... let's see if this going to be another weekend in an eternity of hellish boring shit? Yup... same ole shit". If merc continues to dominate, the flip-flop stays on, and the V6s continue to sound worse than fart cans on rusted-out '91 Honda Accords... then I'm done. It's dead to me. I'll focus on other racing and let F1 and Forumula E come together to create their stillborn baby of European limp-wristedness.

P.S. And for all of the comments about Liberty lately... they're still a non-issue at this point to me (outside the stupid PC grid girl crap). This train has been coming off the tracks for years. I'll give it another year or two before I start casting too many dispersions at Liberty. However, in the beginning I had hope that they could/would right this ship. That hope is fading faster than an F1 car at Spa.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
More pics of the HAAS

Mercedes tease of their halo

Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
HAAS did well trying to camouflage that monstrosity by painting it black. But when you look hard enough to see it there... it's still gay as all hell. I suspect that it'll still look like hell out in daylight.

The unpainted merc one is beyond hideous. And that front mount point looks like something that I could pick up at Lowes or Home Depot.

Holy shit that thing is UGLY!!! Rosie O'Donnell ugly! The next time I'm going at it hot and heavy with the wife and I want to hold off, I'll think of that! But then I'll risk going flaccid for the rest of my life!
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#31]
The halos will more than likely all have some aero tweaks/devices on them that they are holding off showing on the debuts.

They are allowed to play around with covers etc. in a very small area around the core structure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The halos will more than likely all have some aero tweaks/devices on them that they are holding off showing on the debuts.

They are allowed to play around with covers etc. in a very small area around the core structure.
View Quote
Yeah, I totally get that. As F'd up as F1 is getting... they're not [yet] so F'd up that the bracket pictured would make it to race day in full glory.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's Williams!

Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Shit... despite knowing that the die was cast on this new season with the flip-flop, I wanted to believe that somehow I would wake-up before the start of the season and it would have all just been a very strange dream. But it's actually going to happen!!!

Damn...

Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got news for you: F1 is a de facto spec series. Tires are spec, engine ECU is spec, engine format is spec, and aero is practically spec.

You want to get F1 back on track? (Ahem...) Allow more than one tire supplier, let the teams make the ECUs again, and don't specify a specific engine layout - specify a fuel capacity, with or without refueling, and just let the teams get on with it. Like they did from day 1 through the 90's/early 2000's.

One other rule change I'd make - reduce the aero by a lot, and make the cars more mechanically grippy. Alternatively, go whole hog and allow active aero for passing.

m
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
I like their black and white cookie livery
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've got news for you: F1 is a de facto spec series. Tires are spec, engine ECU is spec, engine format is spec, and aero is practically spec.

You want to get F1 back on track? (Ahem...) Allow more than one tire supplier, let the teams make the ECUs again, and don't specify a specific engine layout - specify a fuel capacity, with or without refueling, and just let the teams get on with it. Like they did from day 1 through the 90's/early 2000's.

One other rule change I'd make - reduce the aero by a lot, and make the cars more mechanically grippy. Alternatively, go whole hog and allow active aero for passing.

m
View Quote
Yup. It's beyond spec. Hell... a pinewood derby is FAR less spec. I would welcome the kind of individual team freedom that's allowed every Boy Scout (or his dad) to F1.

I want unlimited racing. If Merc can dominate year after year with no holds barred, then great.... they earned it.

I get it... that would take the smaller fish out of the game. But outside of rooting for an underdog, I don't fish to catch small fish. I want to see what is possible PERIOD... not what is possible within the confines of a legal-esque rule book. I want at most a Ten Commandments level of rule complexity.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yup. It's beyond spec. Hell... a pinewood derby is FAR less spec. I would welcome the kind of individual team freedom that's allowed every Boy Scout (or his dad) to F1.

I want unlimited racing. If Merc can dominate year after year with no holds barred, then great.... they earned it.

I get it... that would take the smaller fish out of the game. But outside of rooting for an underdog, I don't fish to catch small fish. I want to see what is possible PERIOD... not what is possible within the confines of a legal-esque rule book. I want at most a Ten Commandments level of rule complexity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

What's worse, if you watch Grand Prix Driver on Amazon Prime, you can see McLaren knew that the 2017 season was buggered before the first race was even run.  Why? Honda screwed the pooch - and the rules disallowed Honda from testing and understanding the underlying architectural issue and developing a new engine. After one failed test, the team was toast.

Why? No real in-season development, the engines are locked in before the start of the season, and a rule book designed to prevent the teams from clawing back the car into any reasonable race winning form.

This, to me, is the real problem with F1. I think it's critical that in season development and testing be reinstated, even if on a controlled basis. Let the constructors compete in building competitive cars once again. Let the engine suppliers recover from failed designs. Have a test each race weekend - 8 hours where the teams can run a T car to work on problems and performance.

It's wonderful that Mercedes can build an awesome car from day one. What would have been even more wonderful would have been seeing McLaren/Honda pull their cars out of the last grid position and at least get some podiums.

We'll see at testing this year whether or not any of the teams can race Mercedes. I hope so, because if not, I may be watching more WEC, Rolex, and maybe even Indy this year... and far less F1.

m
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

m
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

m
Tires are spec. ECU is spec. The halo is spec. That's about it....

Engines are far from spec, as we have all seen. Aero is far from spec, as we have all seen.

I understand the wish to make the series some sort of high dollar "run what you brung", but if a supposed "spec series" is at the point of being untenably expensive, how would the economics of this fantasy play out?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Engines are far from spec, as we have all seen. Aero is far from spec, as we have all seen.

I understand the wish to make the series some sort of high dollar "run what you brung", but if a supposed "spec series" is at the point of being untenably expensive, how would the economics of this fantasy play out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

Going to have to disagree with you on the engines being 'far from spec'. Certainly, the engine manufacturers can design anything they want as long as its:

A 1.6L V6
Turbocharged
Has kinetic power recovery
Has a single exhaust collector

By defining the specifics that narrowly, pretty much everyone makes wimpy, flatulant, engines that pretty much all sound the same. The only major variations are likely the intake geometries, the injectors, and the ignition. All Mercedes has done is figure out how to make the engine more volumetrically and thermally efficient, and how to run lean-ish while still extracting usable energy.

Where are the flat fours? Inline sixes? V4s? The Turbo-Compounds?

I'm not asking for a unlimited dollar 'run what you brung' series. I'm asking for a set of rules that allow the engineers and teams to design in variations on the cars. Strip the paint off of the cars today, and the cars would be somewhat indistinguishable.

m
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Going to have to disagree with you on the engines being 'far from spec'. Certainly, the engine manufacturers can design anything they want as long as its:

A 1.6L V6
Turbocharged

By defining the specifics that narrowly, pretty much everyone makes wimpy, flatulant, engines that pretty much all sound the same. The only major variations are likely the intake geometries, the injectors, and the ignition. All Mercedes has done is figure out how to make the engine more volumetrically and thermally efficient, and how to run lean-ish while still extracting usable energy.

I'm not asking for a unlimited dollar 'run what you brung' series. I'm asking for a set of rules that allow the engineers and teams to design in variations on the cars. Strip the paint off of the cars today, and the cars would be somewhat indistinguishable.

m
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

A 1.6L V6
Turbocharged

m
That might be the largest understatement I have ever seen on this forum from a technical perspective.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't get how a center obstruction, directly in the drivers line of site, is not considered a safety hazard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What's worse, if you watch Grand Prix Driver on Amazon Prime, you can see McLaren knew that the 2017 season was buggered before the first race was even run.  Why? Honda screwed the pooch - and the rules disallowed Honda from testing and understanding the underlying architectural issue and developing a new engine. After one failed test, the team was toast.

Why? No real in-season development, the engines are locked in before the start of the season, and a rule book designed to prevent the teams from clawing back the car into any reasonable race winning form.

This, to me, is the real problem with F1. I think it's critical that in season development and testing be reinstated, even if on a controlled basis. Let the constructors compete in building competitive cars once again. Let the engine suppliers recover from failed designs. Have a test each race weekend - 8 hours where the teams can run a T car to work on problems and performance.

It's wonderful that Mercedes can build an awesome car from day one. What would have been even more wonderful would have been seeing McLaren/Honda pull their cars out of the last grid position and at least get some podiums.

We'll see at testing this year whether or not any of the teams can race Mercedes. I hope so, because if not, I may be watching more WEC, Rolex, and maybe even Indy this year... and far less F1.

m
View Quote
Engines are not locked..lol Come on man..
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That might be the largest understatement I have ever seen on this forum from a technical perspective.
View Quote
Noooooo shit. While I despise these engines there is no denying that what mercedes has been able to do is positively amazing. 50+% thermal efficiency and 1000+hp..out of THAT?!  Fuck!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't get how a center obstruction, directly in the drivers line of site, is not considered a safety hazard.
View Quote
FIA is talking about halo 2.0 that will be skinnier...which means it will protect against even less! Buahahahahaha! Theyve REALLY screwed the pooch..lol.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#46]
miffed about this thread being dead.. perhaps we need an F1 tech thread as a standalone.  This one can stay on teh politics, Shung having strokes about Ferrari, etcBtw, to the person .

Here are pics I've found of the Haas:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Wonder if they put something on it a little better than last years drum brakes?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#48]
2 more:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Haas is going with a much more complex leading edge of the floor, barge board, and ferrari style side pod entrances.  Along with that they are going with a more complex front wing. McLaren/ForceIndia'esc front wing at that.  Theres a flick or some such that looks like it could resemble the Mercedes cape.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish the nub noses didn't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#50]
They really need to go back to a more simple aero package, circa 1990. That Haas front wing is ridiculous.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top