Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2001 11:04:04 AM EDT
Was just curious about whether they were an orginization worth joining or not. Any members or otherwise with some knowledge about these guys? The only thing I know about them is what I read in their brochure.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I joined about three weeks ago.  Have not received anything in the mail yet.  To those members, what can I expect?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I like that they send me preprinted postcards to send to my Senator and Representative.

I don't like that their reputation is worse than the NRAs among lawmakers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
they work pretty close with second admendment fondation. both have a good many laywers and sue cities for malicious lawsuits. they also have been trying to get the 94 ban ruled unconstitutional. they're working on somethings that could be HUGE but they're kind of long shots. not that they're invalid but would pretty much end gun control. which would fall in the category of too good to be true. as far as benefits you get i don't think there is much except discounts on stuff and great info on gun
issues. i belong and would encourage everyone else to belong too. the way i look at it is the nra is the lobby power and goa and saf are the court powers. also i would encourage people to belong to americans council for freedom run by sen. bob smith. hes pushing for missle defense, cutting china off, and making a concealed carry
license from one state valid in all other states.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
GOA is a great 2nd. Ammendment supporter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy is on target.

The GOA is the most no-compromise pro-gun organization out there, and that's exactly why we should support them to the max.

I have no idea why Cenataur said they have a "worse reputation than the NRA".  It's absolutely false.  The GOA doe snot [b]yet[/b] weild the power the NRA does only because of it's smaller size (~260,000 members).  If the GOA had 3 million members, you would barely see a bill about gun control make it to the floor.

Look at it another way, on one side we have the MMMer's who want to take away ALL of our guns.  On the other side, who would you rather have, the NRA who has been known to compromise t the GOA who will absolutely stand firm and say NO!?

Please, join [b]both[/b] the GOA and NRA.

[b]The NRA is our shield, the GOA will be our sword.[/b]

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
hey i am in but havent heard from them, could someone put me on there next recruitment list?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a strain to recall when the GOA does anything other than bash the NRA. Other than what they "claim" to do anyway.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
avtomac
keeping the nra in check should be enough but they also fought and won some cases. i would have to dig up letters to find them. i hate when gun owners point out all the flaws of pro-gun groups when they have no better alternatives. not a flame just didn't want your anti goa statement to sway anybody thinking of joining goa. everyones entitled to their opinion but they're also fair game for debate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#11]
MEMEBER FOR 2 YEARS-
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
am gonna be life as soon as i get more money NO COMPRIMSE HORRAY!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]
GOA took about 3 or 4 weeks before I got my membership stuff.  I want to say that they told me they send out new member packets in bulk to try and lower mailing costs for them.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The NRA tries to be "all things to all people," and it just isn't going to work(at least in the real world).  I am a member of both myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#16]
i hate when gun owners point out all the flaws of pro-gun groups when they have no better alternatives
View Quote

But that's ALL the GOA does, and you pay them to do it!

It's easy for the GOA to sit back and claim "we don't compromise," but then again, what does it do to compromise on? Wasn't it the GOA that opposed CCW in Michigan recently? How is having ccw were none existed before a compromise? Is any step that doesn't amount to a complete overturn of ALL gun laws at ONE time a "compromise?" GOA gets no national news (other than what they tell their members they get), except for the claims Larry Pratt is some sort of racist (whether true or not).
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
The NRA will send me a politician report card giving a guy an A or B, while the GOA will give the guy (or gal) a C or worse.
Wear one of their "It's a Right Not a Privilege" t-shirts around town and you'll have some interesting conversations with people.
I disagree that they get no national attention. Larry Pratt has appeared on many national programs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Personally, I think that the NRA & GOA are both worth supporting.

It's times like this, with a "friend" in the White House, or as close to one the last election could provide, that POSITIVE ground needs to be made.

Under Clinton, we all just tried to stay above water. Now that we have the best chance in 8 years, we need to gain some ground, or would it be better to simply continue the ststus quo until the next democrat enters office? I don't think so.

I send checks to both groups, because I feel under Bush & Ashcroft, with some Supreme Court appointments coming up, we need to show solidarity and have as loud of a voice as possible. That's the only way it's going to change.

You may sh!t-talk the NRA, but when it comes down to it, the NRA has politicians that DO listen to them. A lot of them.

GOA is my "hard-ass" group. They are the voice that I respect the most, but doesn't have nearly the same clout as the NRA. They are an irreplacable voice that we need though.

Memberships to both are pocket change to most of us. For the price of 1 nice 30 round mag, anyone can join. And if you decide not to, if you decide to just sh!t-talk the only groups that defend YOUR rights on someone elses dime, you don't deserve to have your freedoms protected in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, GOA recently came out in opposition of shall-issue CCW in Michigan, shortly after it was signed into law.

For the 2 years prior to that, GOA didn't one damn thing to help the people of Michigan get shall issue CCW.  They didn't even bother to send an alert to their Michigan members that it was even being discussed and that they should contact their legislators.

Let's see, GOA didn't do anything to get a good law, didn't inform their members that CCW was being considered, and now comes out and tells me that it would be better if I could carry no gun at all then to have supported the law that was passed.  

On the day that their alert against the law came out, I had a membership application in my hands that I was going to fill out.  After reading their alert, I sent them an email and ask why they didn't help get a good law and why they didn't even alert their members.  I got no response from GOA.  So I screw them.  They have no damn business telling me that it would be better for me not to be able to carry a gun at instead of being able to carry in most places, just because they don't like the law that was passed.  Maybe if GOA had actually done something the Michigan CCW law would have been better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top