Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/15/2017 8:22:18 PM EDT
I never use my debit card for online anything, except for a few weeks ago when I saw a Daily Deal on Palmetto's site. I was at work and did not have my pre-paid internet card on me. So, I used my debit. My bank just called, someone tried to order $398 worth of stuff from puma.com and also use it to use UBER. I have to thank my bank for knowing that the card only gets used for paying bills. So I am not out anything except waiting to get another card.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going to get loved tenderly
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're going to get loved tenderly
View Quote
Well.. If they would have used it to pay a bill at the whore house, my bank would have looked right past it.

But no, they had to try to buy some hipster shit from Puma. At least my bank knows my spending habits. Which freaks me out a little.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You used your debit card online? Damn son...
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've also had card info stolen after using the cards at PSA.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know. The one time. The prepaid will stay in the wallet from now on. So, when I am shitting and shopping at work....

All this for some cheap pmags and some ammo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've made several purchases over the last month, nary an issue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know. The one time. The prepaid will stay in the wallet from now on. So, when I am shitting and shopping at work....

All this for some cheap pmags and some ammo.
View Quote
You don't need the card taking up wallet space, just the numbers...

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used a credit card more times than I can count to buy stuff online from Palmetto State and so far, nary a problem.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've made several purchases over the last month, nary an issue.
View Quote
I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, alway using a prepaid. But I keep a balance on that so I always know how much is there. Never had so much as a penny get spent out of it that was not me. The one time I use my frickin debit card.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've used a credit card more times than I can count to buy stuff online from Palmetto State and so far, nary a problem.
View Quote
Yeah, I use my CC exclusively for everything. In the past 10 years, I've had it compromised once...and that was in a Sushi joint when the server skimmed the number.

OP, get a credit card...you can do chargebacks and you're protected if it's compromised. You can have your Debit Card account drained and have no recourse if your bank doesn't want to stand behind you. VISA ans MasterCard will always back you up with a credit card.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
DON'T USE A DEBIT CARD ONLINE. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I use my CC exclusively for everything. In the past 10 years, I've had it compromised once...and that was in a Sushi joint when the server skimmed the number.

OP, get a credit card...you can do chargebacks and you're protected if it's compromised. You can have your Debit Card account drained and have no recourse if your bank doesn't want to stand behind you. VISA ans MasterCard will always back you up with a credit card.
View Quote
I only have business credit cards. No personal ones. I should probably change that. Chase Sapphire still the bee's knees with personal credit cards? My company has a couple AmEx.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Debit card? Ewww gross!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I only have business credit cards. No personal ones. I should probably change that. Chase Sapphire still the bee's knees with personal credit cards? My company has a couple AmEx.
View Quote
99.5% of all my expenses are on my Chase Ink Business card...but then...I own the Company...and my Company is very good to me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
DON'T USE A DEBIT CARD ONLINE. PROBLEM SOLVED.
View Quote
Are you a parrot or do you just like to mimick what everyone else says?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, you need to get more tech savvy bro.
Learn how to log into your CC account and generate a temp "online" account number. It can work for a certain time period, or a single purchase.
Once you use it, it's no good anymore.

No debit cards. No pre-paids. much better PERSEC.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
99.5% of all my expenses are on my Chase Ink Business card...but then...I own the Company...and my Company is very good to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I can only blur the lines mixing business with personal finances so much. I rather not mix them up too much. I tend to buy stuff personally for the company then reimburse myself through company finances. Which already gives my accountant an aneurysm.

I will just get a personal card. I have tried to avoid that since I got divorced. Doing everything I can to deal in cash with my personal finances.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, I used my debit. .
View Quote

there's you sign

you deserve whatever asspain you brought on yourself for using a debit card
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Learn how to log into your CC account and generate a temp "online" account number. It can work for a certain time period, or a single purchase.

View Quote
Interesting. I have never heard of this. Do most all of the major card companies do this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I've also had card info stolen after using the cards at PSA
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Interesting. I have never heard of this. Do most all of the major card companies do this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two I have (Citi Bank and Chase) offer it. I think it's called a "virtual account number".
You can usually generate one from your online account access and then use it to make online purchases. You can usually set a time limit or dollar amount for it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The two I have (Citi Bank and Chase) offer it. I think it's called a "virtual account number".
You can usually generate one from your online account access and then use it to make online purchases. You can usually set a time limit or dollar amount for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, good information. I am looking at the Chase cards now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I never use my debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawals. I get hit by the Target hack a few years back and they locked me down to a $100 ATM/Debit maximum the week before Christmas. Never again.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't most banks now back you up if you were compromised? Atleast mine does. Also most are visa or mastercard too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never use my debit card for online anything, except for a few weeks ago when I saw a Daily Deal on Palmetto's site. I was at work and did not have my pre-paid internet card on me. So, I used my debit. My bank just called, someone tried to order $398 worth of stuff from puma.com and also use it to use UBER. I have to thank my bank for knowing that the card only gets used for paying bills. So I am not out anything except waiting to get another card.
View Quote

How about at the pumps, we just had all of our gas cards compromised at a high volume gas station.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't most banks now back you up if you were compromised? Atleast mine does. Also most are visa or mastercard too.
View Quote
I think they all do, check card or credit card.  Not sure why everyone gets scared to use debit cards online.  Unless that is their only access to money, then i could see the issue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, mine did. They called me right away and asked me about the purchases. I said, "nope, not me" and they shut it down. Most of the action this account sees is transfers in from another account, mortgage payment, transfers to another account, utility bills, cell phone bill, and insurance payments. So any purchase would have been out of the norm. So, I guess I have a good bank.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Surely OP is smart enough to know that the security breach could be on his end, ie virus/Malware.

As well, how many of this "normal bills" have you paid with that same debit card?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a VISA backed debit card, that gives the same protection through my credit union as a credit card. I got compromised once. My account took a little hit. The credit union put the money back in my account the next day.

Last Sunday about 2am, I made a legit payment for $40 for my cell service. It was declined three times. Fraud prevention from my credit union called me as soon as the last time it was declined. I got it handled, and Monday morning I made the payment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Debit cards are obsolete. If you cant manage a credit card, you might as well use cash and checks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Lol it's not psa.  It's an inside job.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.

Credit card is house money.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Not just online, don't use a debit card anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#37]
First I NEVER use a debit card.  I actually request an ATM only card for transactions at the bank.  Second, and I ask this honestly, am I old fashioned that all my worldly effects are in my wallet and it doesn't land me with back problems?  I have it on me everywhere that I am not sitting at home.  Hell I have 3 of my CC numbers memorized.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Debit cards are obsolete. If you cant manage a credit card, you might as well use cash and checks.
View Quote
You can use cash and checks on your computer?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
My bank uses a service called Shopsafe, it generates a number and exp date for you to use for a purchase with your 3 digit security code.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do credit unions do this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#41]
NEVER use a debit card on line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also can you 100% say that is was PSA???
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always, ALWAYS use credit cards to pay for everything. The only time I use my debt cards us at the bank. I've not wrote a check in 10 years or more.

That being said and knock on wood. I've bought alot from PSA and never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine does not. Just my CC.
Also, I don't use it for everything online. For example, I consider Amazon secure and don't worry about it.
But Uncle John's Custom Holsters and Leather Sex Toys? Ya might want to use a virtual account.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#44]
In October I placed an order from Palmetto State, a couple from Amazon, and we stayed at 3 different hotels (1 night each).
Same credit card used at each.

Someone tried to order something from the Apple online store for $980.
Apple caught it and refunded it two days later.

I don't know who did it I just assumed it came from one of the 3 different hotels.
Apple wouldn't give me the name or address of the perp but said if LE would call they would give them the info.
I called a deputy out to take a fraud report.

I had to cancel the credit card an get a new number.

I really hope it's not somebody from Palmetto.

ETA:
Since I learned about PSA from you guys, I've spent a war pension with them over the last 3 years and this is the first issue I've had.
BTW: we purchase everything from an Iphone so it's probably not been hacked.
But you never know.....
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NEVER use a debit card on line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also can you 100% say that is was PSA???
View Quote
Can I say it was 100% PSA? No. But considering this card is only used in a few other places to pay for bills, odds are it was not my mortgage company, electrical company, insurance company, or Corporate Sprint.

But yeah, I am not out anything other than having to get a new card. But I did learn a lesson. I have a new Chase Sapphire card on it's way, and I will do away with the prepaid that I traditionally used for online purchases.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In October I placed an order from Palmetto State, a couple from Amazon, and we stayed at 3 different hotels (1 night each).
Same credit card used at each.

Someone tried to order something from the Apple online store for $980.
Apple caught it and refunded it two days later.

I don't know who did it I just assumed it came from one of the 3 different hotels.
But, I called a deputy out to take a fraud report.
Apple wouldn't give me the name or address of the perp but said if LE would call they would give them the info.

I had to cancel the credit card an get a new number.

I really hope it's not somebody from Palmetto.
View Quote
There was a rash of reports of similar charges happening after someone ordered from PSA. I am not the first. It has been awhile since I have heard about it happening. So, I took a chance. Am I 100% sure it was PSA, NO. But I doubt it was my mortgage company, insurance company, electrical company, or Sprint.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
If your Debit card says Visa or Mastercard, it has exactly the same protections a CC has. I have had two issues with my business DC, all stopped or fixed promptly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top