User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a foodsaver I got off woot or meh for like $25 refurbished when it popped up. I use it all the time. But I also individually vacuum seal single cuts and freeze them. Then just toss them from the freezer right in. Two hours later, boom. Steak, chicken, pork. All done.
View Quote
How do you compensate for cook times between frozen and fresh?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
If frozen, I usually add about an hour. I usually put whatever I want to cook sous vide into the fridge 24 hours in advance if frozen though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
As the person above says, I add an hour. So right around the 2 hour mark for most steaks, chicken breasts, pork chops, whatever.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying to decide what to do next. I don't really have anything going on today, but I don't really have any motivation, either.

I'm half way considering a long cook time recipe for next Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
my boiled steak from tonight..

Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Seven days in brine, two in the Sous Vide

Damn son. BTW Super tender corned beef had no impact on M390

I'll also be cleaning beef fat out of this knife forever

Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was giving some serious thought to starting this for Sunday:

CUBAN LECHON Sous Vide with MOJO SAUCE and Corn Salad

But a gallon ziplock isn't going to do it for a cut of meat that large.

I'd like to get a few more meals in before making the decision to buy a vacuum sealer system.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was giving some serious thought to starting this for Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icg_4PajT-E

But a gallon ziplock isn't going to do it for a cut of meat that large.

I'd like to get a few more meals in before making the decision to buy a vacuum sealer system.
View Quote
We had to get a 5 gallon resealable bag on Amazon for our corned beef
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Anova WiFi version will reportedly be $130 + $10 gift card, at Target for Black Friday.

The blue tooth version REGULARLY goes on sale for $100. Basically every month at some point.
View Quote

The Anova WiFi has been bouncing around between 199, 159 and 149 this week. Lowest point on Amazon  is $130 and it's hit that twice in the past year. (one of them was around Black Friday last year) I bit at $149 and have already used it 3 times since I got it on Monday. Awesome!

I found it pretty hilarious how stupid easy it was to buy one of those marinaded Hormel Tenderloin roasts, drop it in a pot of water and an hour later have a perfectly cooked roast on the table. It's less work than making a TV dinner.  

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to do an 18 Lb. turkey. lol  (I'm thinking one of those vacuum bags for storing clothing)
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to do an 18 Lb. turkey. lol  (I'm thinking one of those vacuum bags for storing clothing)
View Quote
Ha. We talked about it briefly earlier in the thread, and I looked more into it. Basically everyone I find breaks the turkey down into parts before hand. The real fancy people do the white and dark meat at different temps.

If you go for the whole bird, please post photos.

I am just a guest for Thanksgiving so I am going to try doing a Sous Vide key lime pie. I have loved the cheese cake and creme brulee so hopefully this one works out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Perfect timing, I just finished eating a leftover sous vide sirloin steak for lunch

Absolutely love my Sansair. The ability to take steaks from frozen to perfect in 2 hours, without planning 1-2 days ahead to thaw them, is incredible and awesome for my busy family. Also the ability to serve 8 people perfect medium rare steaks while entertaining without spending the entire time alone by the grill.

Favorite recipe to date - deer backstrap rubbed with nothing but salt, cooked for 18 hours on Christmas Day last year. Served with a peppercorn red wine reduction sauce. Was popular even with the folks that don't like game meat.

I'm thinking either an elk roast or elk steaks for Christmas Day this year

I keep meaning to try out the 72 hour short ribs too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Next two on the list are a rack of lamb and then 72 hour short ribs.Have done this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
SawQuoted:

you need to do the pulled pork! OMFG!
Next two on the list are a rack of lamb and then 72 hour short ribs.Have done this.
Have done this. Did not like the texture. Tried 48 hours. Texture was better, but I still prefer to just smoke them.

Try a big chuck roast for 48 hours at 130. Then sear it hard over mesquite charcoal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

next your going to tell me you can make a wicked juicy pulled pork in 24hrs this way..
View Quote
Acutally my son does sous vide pulled pork.

For all the doubters, the next time you have a pot roast sandwich in a restaurant / bar, ask them how they cooked the pot roast.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What does longer cooking times do to the texture is it positive or negative?

I also learned some foods like soft boiled eggs need the outer layers more cooked, wont do that again.

Any tips are appreciated.
View Quote
Longer cook time's soften meat and connective tissue. If you sous video a steak too long, it takes on a mushy texture.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Don’t forget dessert. The precise temperature control makes things like custards stupid easy since you can manipulate the texture by small changes in water temp. I made chocolate pot de creme using the Chef Steps recipe and it was ridiculously good.

I am going to make pumpkin pie in a jar next...
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Longer cook time's soften meat and connective tissue. If you sous video a steak too long, it takes on a mushy texture.
View Quote
Ok thanks. Will going a little long turn a tougher steak into a fillet like experience or does it just mess with the texture in the wrong way??? Lets say I was forced to go to wal mart and get a shitty quality NY Strip instead of my normal butcher shop, could I take it a little longer (say 3hrs or so) in the sous vide to get it more tender or will that basically ruin it?

As an aside now I'm seeing anything from 130-to 150 for cuts like pork/beef that I would normally take to 195-205 internal on a smoker.

What is the deal with cuts like these? Is low and long better? Does it keep it more juicy or what? How does sous vide translate into cuts you would traditionally BBQ or braise. Normally I would take a pork shoulder to like 205 if I were pulling it, I'm seeing ppl cook them for days at 150, what difference would you see between the 2 methods doing that?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I started the thread that Bassgasm was referring to.
Boneless chicken breasts are exceptional with the sous vide method.
Very juicy after a quick pass over the Weber charcoal chimney.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As an aside now I'm seeing anything from 130-to 150 for cuts like pork/beef that I would normally take to 195-205 internal on a smoker.

What is the deal with cuts like these? Is low and long better? Does it keep it more juicy or what? How does sous vide translate into cuts you would traditionally BBQ or braise. Normally I would take a pork shoulder to like 205 if I were pulling it, I'm seeing ppl cook them for days at 150, what difference would you see between the 2 methods doing that?
View Quote
A lot of it depends on the cut, and how you want to finish it. There are people who will sous vide their ribs, pork, brisket and then finish them on a smoker. If there is a particular cut you are interested in, look for info on it from either seriouseats(dot)com or chefsteps(dot)com. The two sites do a lot of thorough break downs and testings on different cuts and will even show you how different cuts come out after X Y and Z temps at different times.

For example, here is an image from Serious Eats article about brisket:

In the end, the great part about sous vide is you can tailor it to YOUR preference. If you like your meat more fall apart/shredded style, you can achieve it by upping the temp (for most proteins). If you prefer a steak like texture, you can achieve that even with large cuts that are not associated with a traditional steak (the 72 hour short ribs is a good example on that one).

In fact I would suggest checking out the Chef Steps article on the 72 hour ribs because it has videos that gives you great examples of what happens at certain temps and times: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A lot of it depends on the cut, and how you want to finish it. There are people who will sous vide their ribs, pork, brisket and then finish them on a smoker. If there is a particular cut you are interested in, look for info on it from either seriouseats(dot)com or chefsteps(dot)com. The two sites do a lot of thorough break downs and testings on different cuts and will even show you how different cuts come out after X Y and Z temps at different times.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2016/07/20160801-sous-vide-brisket-guide-temp-time-composite.jpg

In the end, the great part about sous vide is you can tailor it to YOUR preference. If you like your meat more fall apart/shredded style, you can achieve it by upping the temp (for most proteins). If you prefer a steak like texture, you can achieve that even with large cuts that are not associated with a traditional steak (the 72 hour short ribs is a good example on that one).

In fact I would suggest checking out the Chef Steps article on the 72 hour ribs because it has videos that gives you great examples of what happens at certain temps and times: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way
View Quote
The idea of smoking at the end of a cook seems backwards to me. I was taught the first two hours are the most important when trying to get smoke flavor into meat.

Are the rules really that different with sous vide vs traditional smoking? Do the moisture levels cancel out the typical challenges?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The idea of smoking at the end of a cook seems backwards to me. I was taught the first two hours are the most important when trying to get smoke flavor into meat.

Are the rules really that different with sous vide vs traditional smoking? Do the moisture levels cancel out the typical challenges?
View Quote
No you're right. The science and hard evidence says 2 hours of smoking raw meat will give a stronger flavor than 2 hours after sous vide. But the difference is really not that big.

When it comes to smoked meats, you can usually get a SLIGHTLY better product going smoker the whole time, but you also have the extra work of tending the smoker the whole time. For me, the decision was easy. Sous vide ribs that are finished on a smoker or even just in the oven/on the grill come out great with way less effort. And they are much easier to replicate over and over since the science and temperature control of sous vide is way more accurate than a 8, 10, 12 hour smoke.

And of course you have the fun of playing around with temperatures and textures that you don't get with your traditional smoker. Try some sous vide pork ribs way down at 145-155 degrees and you come out with something completely different then your traditional bbq ribs that typically get cooked to 160.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
IIRC, the recommendation is half of the cooking time.  For example, I Sous Vide Cod all the time straight from the freezer in olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  The recommended cooking time is 30 minutes for thawed cod @ 131 degrees, so I cook it for 45 minutes in the Sous Vide bath.  My final step is to place it under the broiler to get a little color on it.

EDIT:  Naturally, if you have something with a stupid long cooking time, like 72 hours, I'm sure adding an hour to it will be just fine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2016/07/20160801-sous-vide-brisket-guide-temp-time-composite.jpg

View Quote
Perfect, thanks.  I'll go read what they have to say, going purely visual it looks like low temp long time would be ideal for brisket but I'll go read the test results. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]
This post is too late to be useful for many, but Amazon has the Anova on a Black Friday special for $119.

Amazon Product
  • Cook no matter where you are. Schedule a cook, let US do the rest, and come home to the best meal ever.
  • Come home to the best meal ever - set your meal up in the morning and tell your app what you're cooking your food will be ready when you get home.
  • Get alerts on your phone - keep an eye on the status of your food from start to finish.

Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Sous Vide Turkey Breasts is a go!

18 hours in the bath and broiled for skin texture!
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sous Vide Turkey Breasts is a go!

https://i.imgur.com/1IJRki2.jpg

18 hours in the bath and broiled for skin texture!
View Quote
That looks pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Did a sous vide key lime pie for Thanksgiving. Turned out great. Was a bit worried, not sure why now. Cheesecake, awesome. Creme Brulee, awesome. Key lime, awesome.

Sous vide for dessert is full winning.

Gonna do some more cheese cake this week.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Did another batch of the cheese cake on Tuesday. Came out excellent.

Put 3 pounds of beef short ribs in last night. Spent 48 hours salted in the fridge first. Going to pull them Saturday night and serve with sous vide horseradish mashed potatoes, asparagus and a red wine sauce.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#28]
72 hour short ribs are legit. Fantastic. Forgot to take a photo before starting, but I did remember a photo.

Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#29]
We did a pork tenderloin tonight.

Wonderful, juicy and tender.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
72 hour short ribs are legit. Fantastic. Forgot to take a photo before starting, but I did remember a photo.

https://i.imgur.com/zihWzrt.jpg?1
View Quote
Damn.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I jumped on the Amazon Black Friday sale for the Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker with Bluetooth (For anyone interested it's still on sale for $99.99 LINK )

I picked up the LIPAVI Sous Vide Container Model C20 with the lid made for the Anova Precision Cooker and instead of dropping almost $100 on the LIPAVI Sous Vide stainless rack I got a stainless rib / roasting rack for under $20 and it fits the C20 LIPAVI Sous Vide Container perfectly ( LINK )

Setup was easy and I couldn't be happier with the results of my first go at sous vide cooking.

I seared with a torch with a flame spreader attached at first and it did OK on the first 2 chops, but it was a little slow, so I grabbed the Harbor Freight flame thrower to give it a try and that thing worked awesome! (LINK )
I put the meat on a large stainless cooling rack and set it in my outside BBQ grill and got a perfect sear in about 20 seconds with the flame thrower (10 second per side moving the flame constantly as not to burn the meat).
(FYI: The flame thrower is serious business... never attempt to use inside and even outside be careful... that thing throws a serious flame!)

Got a bone in pork loin roast and cut it into about 1-1/2" chops and they came out AMAZING!

Cooked in the sous vide for 1.5 hours at 134 deg F.

I should have taken more pics...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top