Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2001 7:50:38 PM EDT
Well I've had this ruger No.1 for about a year and still have not fired it.
I'm going to do it tomorrow at the range.
Ammo is $115.00 for a box of 20 Federal Premium rounds.

Can anyone here tell me what recoil I should expect hehe.

P.S. Do I need a chiropractor on site hehe (joke)

--------------------

Winston Churchill said appeasement of dictators is like throwing the alligator everything he wants in hopes he'll eat you last.

"AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY"
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure to post a follow-up. Would like to hear about the experience.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Will do :)

I bought it while living in Anchorage, Alaska.
The guy in the store I bought it from told me he bought a Ruger No.1 in .416 Rigby and said he shot it only 5 rounds and took it back and put it on the shelf for sale, vowing to never shoot it again due to the recoil.

He said he regularly hunts with a Winchester model 70 .458 win mag and said it made the .458 feel like a .308

The rounds I have for it are 410 grn with a muzzle velocity of 2500 FPS.

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not bad.More of a big healthy push than a jab.Not fast like the 300's.Just make sure you pull it up tight to your shoulder so you dont give it a run.Might I suggest you shoot the first round off hand.this way you can roll with it.hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
At $115/20, I believe I would take up reloading for it.  The brass for this cartridge is pricey (Bell [b]and[/b] Norma are $37.99/20 from Midway) but at least you can get it.  Bullets are readily available: Barnes, Hornady, Nosler and Speer all offer .416" big-game bullets.  You've got to be able to get the price down to at least $4/round![BD]

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
rgr

Thats why I haven't fired it since I bought it a year ago :)
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
No chiropractor will be required.  Do get it snugged up to your shoulder, and use the end of the Alexander forestock to help hold it in your shoulder.  Assuming you shoot right handed, let the barrel rest on the web between your left thumb and index finger, then slide your hand to the forestock, You will find the angle of the wood will fill your palm and provide added leverage.  Relax and roll with the shot.  I put about 75 rounds through my No.1 .416 Rigby per year.  Never let it "hurt" you, don't try to shoot all 20 rounds the first day, work up in small increments.  As a side note, after you have fired your .416 and hear others talk about the stiff recoil they get from their .300 or .338 mag, try not to laugh.

Reloading is the key for this round.  For the price of 3-4 boxes of factory ammo, you could get an Ammo Master press, dies, scale, calipers, case trimmer, 20 pieces of brass, 100 bullets and primers, and 2 lbs of powder.  I load mine for about 75 cents a shot, $15 for a box of 20 rounds!

Welcome to the club!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Savor the moment...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top