Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2017 12:34:35 AM EDT
Responded to a call this evening and discovered right as i arrived my drivers side window wouldn't go back up.  02 Dakota quad cab. I can hear it try to move when i toggle the switch.

How screwed am i? It's supposed to rain Friday-Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Responded to a call this evening and discovered right as i arrived my drivers side window wouldn't go back up.  02 Dakota quad cab. I can hear it try to move when i toggle the switch.

How screwed am i? It's supposed to rain Friday-Sunday.
View Quote

Pull off the door panel and see what's not working?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Pull the door card off to gain access and then manually help it up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pull off the door panel and see what's not working?
View Quote
I will have to try it first thing in the morning. Dark as shit right now. It was about 10pm when i got home. I have a trash bag covering the window right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Window regulator or motor.

Easy fix.

Durango/Dakota Window Regulator Replacement & Repair Left Rear
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can hear it I wouldn't be too worried.

Actuator broke in my sister's car.  Easy fix, part was cheap enough off of Amazon.

F-I-L's GMC truck had some electrical issue, pushed the button and nothing happened.  I think in the end he needed a new door panel control and needed shit reprogrammed.  I was at a loss even troubleshooting the damn thing.  Tried jumping 12 volts right to the motor and still couldn't get the window up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actuator broke in my sister's car.  Easy fix, part was cheap enough off of Amazon.

F-I-L's GMC truck had some electrical issue, pushed the button and nothing happened.  I think in the end he needed a new door panel control and needed shit reprogrammed.  I was at a loss even troubleshooting the damn thing.  Tried jumping 12 volts right to the motor and still couldn't get the window up.
View Quote
Hope so. I'm guessing i might need to order this thing off of Amazon?:
Amazon Product
  • Engineered improvements enhance performance
  • Quality tested to ensure trouble free installation, performance, and durability
  • Plug & Play - No wire splicing necessary

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hope so. I'm guessing i might need to order this thing off of Amazon?: www.amazon.com/dp/B000C16XLC
View Quote
Yep. Chrysler product. Surprised it took this long. Replaced all 4 on my mom's grand cherokee. Alternatively you can use a big paint stir stick under the glass until you replace it. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep. Chrysler product. Surprised it took this long. Replaced all 4 on my mom's grand cherokee. Alternatively you can use a big paint stir stick under the glass until you replace it. Ask me how I know.
View Quote
I will probably do the same thing . Local shops charge a arm and a leg plus a kidney for the same damn part amazon has. Literally $50 difference between Autozone and Amazon. My right passenger switch hasn't worked since i bought the truck last year. Nobody ever sits there so i wasn't too worried about that side.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
See if you can't grab the window and lift while pressing up on the switch to help it up. By hand, rubber tipped pliers, or reach behind the panel see if you can and assist the lift mechanism. This worked for me until, well I haven't ordered the part yet. Window works well enough to not worry about it until I am caught up with other stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
See if you can't grab the window and lift while pressing up on the switch to help it up. By hand, rubber tipped pliers, or reach behind the panel see if you can and assist the lift mechanism. This worked for me until, well I haven't ordered the part yet. Window works well enough to not worry about it until I am caught up with other stuff.
View Quote
it's pretty far down in the door. Doubt i can get something to grab at it without damaging the window. Now if a certain person i know of didn't press the window while driving trying to get it work i wouldn't be in this situation .
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the window up, tap in a block of wood and order your parts. Do it when it’s convenient for you. Drilling rivets is a PIA and time consuming.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Duct tape.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I put in two of the dorman units off amazon into a Ford Escape off amazon, if offered get the whole unit, not just the parts to repair the unit, it was like a $15 difference and saved a ton of time. Should be simple and I probably saved over $500.

eta - yep that's the whole unit, they usually also just sell the motor assembly. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#14]
My sons car had this issue so I pulled the panel and cleared the jam from the broken pieces of plastic on the regulator unit. I could then push it up and put 3 zip ties on the rail to hold it up until I can deal w/ it later.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get the window up, tap in a block of wood and order your parts. Do it when it’s convenient for you. Drilling rivets is a PIA and time consuming.
View Quote
Plan on doing that at first light. Hopefully before the heavy rain moves in or before we get another call.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
All good advise, but remember: If you buy foreign parts from Amazon you may be doing it again soon. A few extra bucks and it will last as long as you have the truck.
I have not had good luck with new parts from Ebay or Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Drilling rivets?

The truck is a 2002, not 1972.

OP - it's an hour long job, and that's spending 1/2 of it dicking with the door panel clips and drinking beer along the way.  30 minutes if you don't dick around.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Not much of a job to change out.  Get the lifetime warranty because if you keep the truck for any length of time you will be doing it again.  After the first time it is a piece of cake.

My daughters jeep liberty however - holy shit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hope so. I'm guessing i might need to order this thing off of Amazon?: www.amazon.com/dp/B000C16XLC
View Quote
Dorman is common, but also has a reputation as being shit. Might want to check a junkyard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not much of a job to change out.  Get the lifetime warranty because if you keep the truck for any length of time you will be doing it again.  After the first time it is a piece of cake.

View Quote
Libertys are a cake walk, at least the original body style.

I had to do all of them on my wife's old one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Window regulator needs replacing. Head down to the parts house and buy a new one.

The door panel should come off fairly easy. The regulator should be a few screws + time to change out...

...speaking regarding a early 2000's Chevy. I can't imagine your Dakota being terribly different [shrugs]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dorman must make all kinds of aftermarket parts. I recently changed (2) different HVAC actuators and Dorman was the brand that the parts house carried.

Note that the parts house was roughly 2-1/2 times more expensive than Amazon...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe the window is tired of being oppressed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Take it apart, and fix it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

eta - yep that's the whole unit, they usually also just sell the motor assembly. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.
View Quote
I think a complete unit is the only way it can be bought to OP’s truck. Every application is different.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#26]
So what, that makes it easier to never miss an opportunity to yell at an asshole.

Optimism, and all for no fuckin charge.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My daughter has a 2010 and it is the only thing that has broken on the car.  Jeep went to a one piece regulator/cover assembly and it is almost impossible to get behind to connect/disconnect linkages. Have to pull out the door latches to change it out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Check out Advance Auto as well.  I order online and pick up in the store.  They usually have 20% off.  Doing it this way they have been the cheapest more often than not lately.   Changing a window regulator is pretty easy in anything I've done it in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe the window is tired of being oppressed.
View Quote
It's "Taking a Knee" in Resistance to your White Male Employed Gun Owning Hegemony...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I went through them on an old Volvo S-80.  It ate all four over a year.  

Got to the point I was afraid to roll down a window at a drive through or parking garage...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Just replaced mine.  Used packing tape for a couple days while I waited for Amazon Prime to deliver.  Pro Tip, make sure the window bolts are screwed in before putting everything back together.   Also, once installed, if you have an Auto function it needs to be programmed.   You have to follow a sequence which Google revealed to me but I don't remember now.   Definitely easy enough and cheaper to just order the parts and replace yourself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Funny thing, this same thing just happened to my car. Twice. I had one side broke (thought my wife left it down overnight).  Pulled the door panel off, bad womdow regulator. Had to order one on amazon, only the ford dealer in town had the part in stock, and they wanted double for it.  

Was installing it, went to test the windows before putting the door back together, and the one on the other side broke. Same part in exact same way.

Ordered another one on amazon, it’s now sitting waiting to be installed. Doesn’t take very long. Probably bringing it to work today to see if I can find time to install it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Drilling rivets?

The truck is a 2002, not 1972.

OP - it's an hour long job, and that's spending 1/2 of it dicking with the door panel clips and drinking beer along the way.  30 minutes if you don't dick around.
View Quote
Some of the replacement types don’t use the same mounting holes and come with a template to drill new holes.

OP, you can try taking the door panel off and tapping on the motor with a wrench while holding up on the switch. Sometimes that’ll help get it back up until you can replace it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I didn't read all the replys but its an easy fix.  I've done my f150 3 times.  

Pull the door panel off and block the window up with a piece of wood until you get a new regulator.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Take off the door panel. Use a flash light if it is dark outside. If you can hear it when engaging the window switch, the motor is getting power and working but there's another broken part of the window opening mechanism. I had a Mazda where the motor was spinning but this plastic tab, which was a guide for a wire, broke so the window would not go up or down. When I hit the window switch, I could see the window motor spinning, but the wire was loose and so the window was not moving.
Most likely, you'll have to buy the whole window motor unit and everything attached to it, not just a piece that's broken. Then, remove the old one from the door and put in the new one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Window regulator or motor.

Easy fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqs6zb6MnIA
View Quote
Strange, none of my content posted.

Anway, yeah, this! I had a 2001 Dakota and replaced these several times. I felt like I should be on a window regulator put crew by the time I sold it! It's very easy to do, especially with the video aid. I bought mine from Autozone, and they had a lifetime warranty...which helped when I had to replace one of the new ones I put on.   So keep the receipt!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you try getting it up with the passenger side switch? Pretty common for the driver side switch to go out on those trucks. Derp on my part. Read that as the passenger side window wouldn't go up. Switches are still common in those trucks though. Could try jumping the connector on the switch and see if you get any movement.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Some of the replacement types don’t use the same mounting holes and come with a template to drill new holes.

OP, you can try taking the door panel off and tapping on the motor with a wrench while holding up on the switch. Sometimes that’ll help get it back up until you can replace it.
View Quote
I've done more window regulators than I can remember.  I've never had to drill a hole.

What kind of car is this on?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've done more window regulators than I can remember.  I've never had to drill a hole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 2001 Dakota quad cab with a Dorman replacement unit for that specific model.
The instructions with it included a template for drilling the door to accommodate the new bolt pattern. I was surprised as well, power connector and everything else was right though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Start>Run

gpupdate /force
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I know it's not a Tacoma but here is a good video on how to remove door panel...HEY, if it doesn't help at least you can rub one out....

How to remove door panels Toyota Tacoma X-runner Access cab & Double Cab
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I've replaced all the motor/cable assemblies in my wife's '04 Jeep Liberty. Drivers door twice......
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#43]
A few months ago the passenger window on my wife's Lexus wouldn't roll up straight.  The back half would come up but not the front.  A little research at Club Lexus.com and I come to find it is a small plastic clip that hold the glass to the motorized part.  Lexus won't sell just the clip so you have to buy the entire window assembly that costs over $500.  My reaction wasn't a happy one until I found a post on that forum that had a fix.  One guy had the same issue but he is a machinist.  He now makes and sells a set of aluminum clips to replace the Lexus plastic ones.  At $90, they aren't cheap but it was still better than $500.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's "Taking a Knee" in Resistance to your White Male Employed Gun Owning Hegemony...
View Quote
So it's going to get Kapernicked?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#45]
My 2006 Jeep Liberty had all four replaced under recall... after 3 had dropped and were replaced under original warranty...

Check to see if there is a Recall on them...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Managed to get the door panel mostly off. I can access everything right now however i think the regulator is still good. I can't push the window up. So what's my next step? Should i disconnect the motor and regulator?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Managed to get the door panel mostly off. I can access everything right now however i think the regulator is still good. I can't push the window up. So what's my next step? Should i disconnect the motor and regulator?
View Quote
I usually replace the whole thing. The motor, window guide and cable come in one unit. I've replaced with factory ones and they break just like the ones that come in the vehicle. The last one I replaced was aftermarket and way better. As a stop gap when I am waiting for the part, I cram a wooden dowel under the window to hold it up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can you hook up the switch, hit it, and see what is making noise / not moving?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Can you hook up the switch, hit it, and see what is making noise / not moving?
View Quote
I still have that switch hooked up. Couldn't get the plug out. Just my guess is the regulator is still gtg. The motor is probably what went fubar.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#50]
When my window motor broke on my '84 Blazer. I did the smart thing, converted both windows to Manual. lol..yanked all the wires out of the door and now , no more worries and door got a few pounds lighter.

Good luck OP
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top