Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 11:30:53 PM EDT
My brother and I are going to be doing a hunting/backpacking trip into a wilderness area next month. It will be high desert so no cold weather boots are needed. My regular hunting boots aren't ideal for a backpacking trip and I need some shoes. Looking to keep it under $200. Bass Pro and Sportsmans have Merrell, Keen, etc in stock. 

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with Salomon myself. I have several pairs.

ETA I've ordered them from Backcountry. Free 2 day shipping. Can always return and exchange if they don't fit right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA I've ordered them from Backcountry. Free 2 day shipping. Can always return and exchange if they don't fit right.
View Quote
Recently bought salomon gtx mids.  They are great.  They run narrow at first, but adapt to your width without becoming loose.  They feel very solid compared to merrel and keen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My Asolo 520's are SUPER comfortable and supportive. Maybe you can find a deal on some to keep in your budget. I wear them camping because they feel like slippers compared to my other boots.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Salomon Quest 4D II GTX Hiking Boots, expensive but well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That
BOOM THIS
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]
LOWA Renegade GTX
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some Asolos for actual mountains. 

And inov8 Trailtalons or Roclites for trails and "mountains". 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had Keens, Merrels and Salomons.  All are good shoes but I am pretty rough on them and usually get about 6-8 months out of them before they start to fall apart.  However, a few years ago I bought a pair of Oboz shoes.  I was skeptical because I had never heard of them.  Now a few years later they still almost look new except the treads are almost worn smooth.  These are the first hiking shoes I have actually worn out and not had them self-destruct/delaminate.  I will be buying another pair soon to replace these. Best shoes I have ever owned.

Oboz
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LOWA Renegade GTX
View Quote
this.  Absolutely love mine.    the Solomon guys aren't wrong either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#12]
An extended hiking trip with brand new boots sounds like a swell idea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I HIGHLY recommend these.  . I just got my pair resoled, I have had them that long.  They have gotten me through the most extreme of circumstances.  They are very comfortable, very durable, and you can hike all day without aching feet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have had Keens, Merrels and Salomons.  All are good shoes but I am pretty rough on them and usually get about 6-8 months out of them before they start to fall apart.  However, a few years ago I bought a pair of Oboz shoes.  I was skeptical because I had never heard of them.  Now a few years later they still almost look new except the treads are almost worn smooth.  These are the first hiking shoes I have actually worn out and not had them self-destruct/delaminate.  I will be buying another pair soon to replace these. Best shoes I have ever owned.

Oboz
View Quote
BDRY Bridger is a super nice boot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a few pairs also. Very comfortable boots.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
ill never buy any shoe/boot other than salomon quest 4 gtx from now on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#18]
The Asolo Fugitive GTX is probably one of the best boots on the market and is only slightly above your budget.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]
La Sportiva Boulder X with super feet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#20]
It depends on the terrain... Rocky terrain, get a boot.

A hike on an established trail, running shoes are just fine.

On long hikes where the terrain changes, I will bring both.

I hiked Pikes Peak twice, on established trails in running shoes.

I use Danner hiking boots for the rough stuff... Very good quality...

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#21]
These. And the tier 1 guys use them so that much more awesomeeeee.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BOOM THIS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:pl
That
BOOM THIS
Huge fan of Salomon, but they fit my feet best. Lowa, Garmont, Asolo, Salomon, Scarpa whatever fits best is what's best for you. 

I have a pair of Salomon low hikers that I bought for a SA trip in 2009 - can't kill them. Wear them as a knock arounds now, other than two pair of insoles and some super glue repaired snags they still work.  Fugitive is a very good boot, As are some from other brands, have older Asolo boots which just don't  fit me as well as Salomon, so they're little used. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319006/3184C895-0E67-4DE5-A96E-AD253117541B-338659.JPG
View Quote
I have exactly those on my feet right this minute.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Merrill has turned their product line into shit. First pair I ever owned lasted for years. Every pair after that didn't last a year.

For me, Sportiva, Keen and yes Columbia. 

OP, while the top side of the shoe/boot is important, if it doesn't say Vibram on the bottom it won't hold up to high desert terrain.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#25]
You need to try them on, preferably at a store that knows hiking. They should have a ramp to help you gauge how they will feel on an incline/decline. Taking a weighted pack with you is not a bad idea.

I tried some Solomans, but I could tell on the ramp they were not right for my foot, and ended up with Vasque.

One of my Scouts bought Soloman to go on a 21 day 200+ miles trek at the Philmont Scout Ranch. They came apart.
Not saying that couldn't happen to any boot, but it does make you wonder if the price it to make them hip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BOOM THIS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That
BOOM THIS
BigBaddaBoom all of those.

I had Merrells for years. Quality isn't there anymore. Salomons FTW.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
An extended hiking trip with brand new boots sounds like a swell idea.
View Quote
Hopefully he'll have some time to break them in before hand.

OP don't forget about good socks too.

Also, as someone who just got their first pair of full length custom orthotics for my gym/running shoes, it's important to know your arch and pronation type as different shoes will offer different levels of support to help compensate. Or make sure you get some inserts. They'll make a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#28]
This is the boot that I wear everyday... I love this boot and I need to get a new pair. The soles are worn flat but the upper is still in great shape, great boot.

It funny, I'm looking online right now trying find the best price for a new pair. about $160 bucks or so

Quoted:
It depends on the terrain... Rocky terrain, get a boot.

A hike on an established trail, running shoes are just fine.

On long hikes where the terrain changes, I will bring both.

I hiked Pikes Peak twice, on established trails in running shoes.

I use Danner hiking boots for the rough stuff... Very good quality...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81KMMrheryL._UX575_.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ll never opt for a clunky boot again. Good trail running shoes will hold up well and some are made in Hi-tops if you really think you need ankle support.

I don’t like the Salomon lacing system but they’ve always lasted for me. Sportivas are too narrow but look like quality, rugged shoes. I’ve had good luck with Montrails but Columbia just bought them so I’m anticipating a drop in quality.

TC
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Depending on the weight of your pack either Salomon Speedcrosses or Salomon Boots.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319006/3184C895-0E67-4DE5-A96E-AD253117541B-338659.JPG
As do I that’s why I posted them. They allow you to roam the cubicle jungles like a real snake eater.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had a few pair of Merrells, as well as Keens over the years. Salomons are too narrow for my foot. I switched to Oboz about 800 miles into the AT this year and haven't looked back. They are lighter and breathe better. They dry out quicker when wet. They are the only hiking shoe I've tried that did not get holes from rocks. I did go through two pair between Lexington, VA and Katahdin, but I doubt you'll put those kind of miles on them. If you're worried about blisters or hotspots, pick up a roll of Leukotape. It will change your life. $10 on eBay. Throw that moleskin shit right into the trash can.

The bottom line is you're just going to have to try different brands until you find the one that works best for you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I tried on both the Salomon 4D GTX and Lowa Renegade GTX, and ended up with the Lowas. 
The toecap on the Salomons gave me concerns about wear, since it’s just glued on. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Salomons and Merrells.  Merrells are really comfortable but don’t last as long - mine have been good but YMMV.  I’ll be personally going with Salomons after my Moabs/Chameleons die.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Asolo Fugitive GTX is probably one of the best boots on the market and is only slightly above your budget.

http://www.asolo-usa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/m/0m3400_00508_27_1.jpg
View Quote
This!  I've had a pair like this for 10 years and have done some substantial hiking on them. Still going strong
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is the boot that I wear everyday... I love this boot and I need to get a new pair.
View Quote
It is a little expensive.

But it lasts forever.

Good boot. A little on the heavy side... But like I said. A good running shoe is all I ever used on established trails. If I was going onto rocky terrain, or needed a hard-use boot, those Danners are the way to go.

And, they are classy enough to wear with pants and a polo shirt, if you need a wear-everyday boot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Recently bought salomon gtx mids.  They are great.  They run narrow at first, but adapt to your width without becoming loose.  They feel very solid compared to merrel and keen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hated my Solomons, same model as yours.  They do run narrow.  Grip on rocky terrain is so bad as to he dangerous.

Oboz are very good, as are Merrell.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My brother and I are going to be doing a hunting/backpacking trip into a wilderness area next month. It will be high desert so no cold weather boots are needed. My regular hunting boots aren't ideal for a backpacking trip and I need some shoes. Looking to keep it under $200. Bass Pro and Sportsmans have Merrell, Keen, etc in stock. 

Thanks
View Quote

Picked up a pair of Vasque at bass pro last week and im loving them they were $167 or something like that. I have a bad back and they have been great!

ETA idk how hard you are on your boots/shoes but I've never had a pair of Merrils live very long (like under a year). Last pair of boots i had were Scarpas and they lasted a solid 3 years of almost daily abuse
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#40]
The Oboz I got required virtually no break in, fwiw.  I bought them on a Sunday and was hiking Angels Landing two days later with no complaint.

My wife wears Merrell to work (vet clinic) and just had a pair go out after a little over a year of normal every day wear.  My Solomons were similarly durable, the soles wearing nearly smooth after about a year of walking tile every day.  I wanted to like those shoes but they were pieces of shit.  

When I get new mids they will be Oboz.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll soon be on my 3rd pair of Keen Targhee ii's.  I'd love to get into some good Italian boots, but Keens have been the ONLY hiking boot I've found that fit my wide, boxy feet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Asolo is what works for me, but go with whatever fits your foot best, it's cheaper in the long run even if it costs a bit more now
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a pair of waterproof Keens that were around $140. In that price range, they've been hard to beat. Comfortable, stay dry, and supportive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Or any Salomon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top