Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn’t a good enough student to be a nerd.  I was the cigarette smoking metal head.  There was enough of us around.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. But I still got ass so who cares.
View Quote
Good for you as someone had to bang the fat ugly girls.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I was an acquaintance of everyone.  Didn't have groups that I had conflict with, but I also went to a very white school in a small district, so the subcultures weren't varied.  We had jocks, nerds, metal heads, punks, and the usual.  I hung out with the nerds and metalheads.  No fucks given.  We're the ones buying houses and living now.  

One guy perplexes me from from high school.  Super nerd, super smart... read quantum physics shit for fun, got a degree or two.  Last I heard, he's working at Walmart.  We didn't get along, but broski should be a millionaire by now.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Define "popular".

There were a grand total of 412 people in the entire TOWN.

View Quote
Hah.  Yes!  I read the topic and thought "There were like 50 people in my graduating class and we'd all known each other since at least 5th grade.  It gets hard to build a whole lot of social tiers at that scale".
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys wanted to be me. Women wanted to be with me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My high school wasn't very "clique-y". You would go to a party, and there would be an assortment of groups. It's a small town, so people would know each other going back to elementary school in some cases. We still had jocks, stoners, etc, but there wasn't any animosity between the groups.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Everyone knew me.....but I'm like Neil Diamond either you like me or you dont
View Quote
first post nails it for me even in a thread like this
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I was. Only because my father was one of the most liked teachers by the student population. Honestly it kinda sucked. Everyone knew my business, and I couldn't get away easily with stuff. Either students talked or the teachers snitched.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Nah, wasn't popular, wasn't unpopular.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I played magic the gathering at lunch, what do you think?

I was pretty damn popular among the nerds/orchestra/theatre/etc people. Does that count?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Not really under the stairs...but on or near them.

By my senior year, I could go from home in the morning to back home in the afternoon without saying a single word to anyone, unless someone talked to me first. I'm still kind of like that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was pretty damn popular among the nerds/orchestra/theatre/etc people. Does that count?
View Quote
We played guitars at times during lunch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Eh, I was friends with pretty much all the social clicks. Token-ish black guy.   Was also hounded daily, almost stalked by the football coach to try out for the team.  Never was interested.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope. Still a virgin, had zero friends, nobody wanted to talk to me or sit next to me, and plenty of people hated me, and still do.

Now you know why I hang out here all day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I played guitar during theatre class, and played Unreal Tournament during guitar class. Our teacher was too busy with band stuff to teach guitar. Guitar class was in the music lan with computers and pianos on each computer so we installed UT on them and played during class. Even the teacher played UT with us a few times, then we got him into runescape.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The only male athlete to win a state championship while I was there, pole vaulting as a sophomore, but I hung out with the stoners and metal heads.  So I was known but wouldn't say popular.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to think those TV shows and movies about High School were ridiculous. I love these threads because I realize they really weren’t. Now sure why my High School experience was so different - maybe size, maybe demographics - but I love reading these threads.

A lot of people knew me, but I was never part of the “popular” crowd, if there even was one. But life is far too nuanced to turn 4 years of school as a teenager into a binary question.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
In high school I was in the social middle class. A run of the mill prep. I had lots of friends and ran with a great crowd, but I was not in the high school elite. I got along with them, just wasn't in their clique. I played on the tennis team, not the football team.

I loved high school, it was a fun time full of parties and meaningless sex. College was even better.

ETA: As a funny aside, after graduating high school I became best friends with a guy who through high school I thought was a total nerdlinger (he was). He joined the Marines and became a total badass and someone I really respected. He is my best friend to this day, almost 30 years later, and the guy who got me into guns.

Also, the summer after graduating, I began dating a super hot girl who had been very popular all through high school. Never would have happened in high school. We were together for three years. Great times!

It's funny how things changed after high school.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I was known but neither popular nor unpopular. I established my 'creds' as a freshman by getting caught fighting in front of the dean of discipline's office. Actually, an upper classman jumped me. I dropped to my knees then rolled him off. The dean came out as I was getting on top of the kid to pound him. 3 day suspension for both of us. But the 'word' went out that I was slightly crazy. It kept me out of trouble for the next few years. Good thing too because the school had some absolutely huge guys. I was 'smile and wave' the whole time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Use to get head at lunch break good old days
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or were you a total nerd?
View Quote

I was an odd mix in hindsight.

13 Varsity letters in four years, ran in state track and cross country meets, all city/league several times in a couple different sports, had a lot of friends (had friends that were part of each "cliche" oddly enough), hung out, went to parties, had girlfriends, graduated high school with a 3.5GPA and accepted to two Big 10 schools. Graduating class of just short of 600.

J-
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I wasn't popular. I was considered cool, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I wasn’t “popular” but was respected by classmates because I was a pretty good athlete.
I was a fairly quiet kid and did my own thing.
My best friend was not athletic and played in a band.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I was. I had friends in every social group. Rockers, jocks, Asians and the Bruthas. I had a girlfriend in every social group too...ah the good old days.
We were the Pacific Islanders.
Just had a class reunion. I didn’t go but I saw pics....time was not kind to most.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#26]
wasnt popular in the least.  Was glad to get out of small town USA.  I still have a few friends from then and even after 20+ years i still laugh at how the popular girls have lived and existed since then in trailer parks with multiple kids from multiple men.  Most the jocks have never left that corner of home and are ignorant as hell in going-nowhere jobs.  A few have died from drugs and drunk driving, so karma reared its head.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I hung with the cool kids, but not really sure I was one.

I was a 4 yr starter on the football team at the public school, but I went to the tiny ass private school across the street. Literally everyone knew everyone. It's hard to say I was "popular" when my entire school was 47 people.

At the public school (1200 or so) everyone knew my name, but most had no idea who I was until I told them. It wasn't funny actually .Like I said, I hung out with the "cool" kids, so if there was a party or social event, I was there. I'd be hanging out at someone would eventually look at me and ask "who are you?" I'd tell them my name and suddenly it was cool to talk to me.

Know? Maybe. Popular, I don't even know what that is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Yea.  I played sports and floated around a lot of different social circles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Sportsball captain (Football, Basketball, Baseball), class president, dated the prettiest and at the time I thought classiest girl in school.

I'm much happier now, but I really miss Friday Night Lights.  

One of my older brothers was a singer who did concerts and was really popular, so I was known as his brother for a while.  We had a brother between us that ended up being known as his brother OR my brother, depending on who he talked to.  He wasn't very fond of that.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I lost my virginity at 33.

Pole fail.

I was lower rung shit in public school. In college I was one of the more popular people because I went to a very small engineering school full of nerds and hardly any women. Plus I discovered alcohol and it was the early 2000s and I was good at Counter Strike.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We had 450 in my graduating class.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define "popular".

There were a grand total of 412 people in the entire TOWN.

We had 450 in my graduating class.
73 graduates in my class
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#33]
NO! Fucking hated high school. Nothing but a big cluster fuck of stupidity.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I was not in any way popular and wasn't even there very much, but I have been surprised in the years since how many people knew of me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Weirdly so ...

Ran away from home in new jersey when I was 14.

Everyone knew the 6'2" tall kid from "the city".

It was a different time in 1980.

Local girls wanted to try something different and local guys got mad.

Spent several weekends of my misspent youth starting out with a "hey there little girl" , ending with a "you're girlfriend???? .
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#36]
My graduating class was at 650 kids. 2000 in the school total. 99% of them were not anyone I cared to associate with so I kept to myself. Hell I was out for the day by 11am and working anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I wasn't popular but wasn't an outcast either.

Had acquaintances or friends in pretty much every clique. Never played team sports nor was I in band, AP classes or anything like that.
I surfed, rode BMX and played with cars/trucks. Was also a big metalhead.

The thing that made the last 3/4 of high school challenging for me is we moved cross country between my freshman and sophomore year to a town that was growing so quickly that I was one of ~100 new kids at the school that year.
Kinda got lost in the shuffle, culture shock and some resentment that the locals had for all the new people.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#38]
No.

Wasn't a nerd so much as I just did my own thing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I ran with a pretty big crew back in HS.  We had a lot of parties out at dad's farm.  Did a lot of beer drinking and wheeling around in his woods.  Most of the cliques would come out on the weekends the parties and the Boones Farm would make them panties drop.  

Now days My oldest daughter has starting having shindigs out at our farm.  Kind of funny how things come full circle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I had 600 in my graduating class. I had 4 really close friends and we went out every Friday and Saturday night together. I smoked a lot of weed and smoked it with everyone from jocks to preppies to stoners and was accepted into every group. I guess you could call me and my friends part of the preppy crowd but none of our parents were “rich” by any means. I was the guy that kept his mouth shut and was considered trustworthy by every group. I got a lot of ass but never really bragged about it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Or were you a total nerd?
View Quote

I wasn't a nerd, or popular jock either.
I was quite popular with the bitches though. I was a good looking sonbitch with an LD. Those who can relate, know what Im talking about. They couldn't get enough of TooBeaucoup!

Tore I did, tore!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Somewhere in between.
Athletic enough to play varsity sports and hang out with the jocks.
Redneck enough to four wheeling and road hunting with others.
Was voted junior class president - was elected senior class president until some shithead brought up a rule about being elected to two offices or something.
Now I am glad that I got in-elected.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Wasn't the most popular kid but far from the kid that ate under the stairs.

I transferred my junior year to a private catholic school. It was kinda hard to fit in for a bit.

Until the schools first dance. Stole this dudes date at the end of the night. He confronted me about it during lunch in front of everyone wanting to fight. I just stood up and told him he was pissed because I got pussy and he didn't. Whole cafeteria lost it. Got along with about everyone after that. Even that kid that tried to fight me became friends.

Heh that whole story is pretty funny, dude like caught me and the gal in my car on the street doing the thing. He like lost it and cried in the middle of the street and we drove off naked . Man high school was weird.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope, I changed schools during freshman year and became a burnout. No regrets, however, as having been a burnout in high school is probably what kept me from becoming a collared-shirt-wearing office worker fag living in a McMansion HOA subdivision and driving some Honda or Toyota douchemobile.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I was a nerd before being a nerd was cool.

I looked aghast at the students I was forced to walk amongst.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Computer nerd.  Right around the time when computers started being cool.  So, get both I guess?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I was pretty popular I guess. I normally hung around a preppy-ish crowd but my best friends in HS weren't really in that clique if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#48]
No, but I enjoyed high school and had a lot of friends.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I played football & baseball during my 4 years, but I wasn't really a jock. I had my close group of friends, but I was friendly with everyone in school. I guess so.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#50]
One thing that is certain is my kids are definitely making the most of their high school experience, unlike their father. Prom, Homecoming, athletics, I never wanted anything to do with that shit, but it sure is cool watching my kids enjoy all of it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top