Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It can be fun, but training is not for fun. It's something we do because we're American men and women and it is (or should be) a part of our lives.

Do it even if you're tired of it and don't want to. Someone out there is training to kill you right now, and chances are he's motivated and good at doing evil.
View Quote
I do like fun even less than I like money.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]

I learn and improve every time out, so no.
Hell no.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, and in the process of revamping my go to guns.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Could have just tapped the rear sight over and not had to buy a new gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I ised to be <10min from my range, now I’m over 30min. My shooting buddy joined the AF, I have no one of any decent skill to shoot with. My range has gone full blown fudd, the nearest non-fudd range is 1.5hrs away. Yeah, I don’t shoot every often... Still love guns though and buy ammo when I get a good price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Started shooting blackpowder Hawken rifles. Accuracy is not MOA so it is very challenging to even get a 6" group at 50 yards. Might buy 1 or 2 more guns and that will be it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try Cola Warrior.
View Quote
"chug a six pack of cola"

6x caffeine + sugar + acid on stomach.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
No.  When one form of shooting/training starts to feel like a job, I switch it up to something different.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can chug lacroix if it makes you feel better you fucking stick in the mud.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Started shooting blackpowder Hawken rifles. Accuracy is not MOA so it is very challenging to even get a 6" group at 50 yards. Might buy 1 or 2 more guns and that will be it.
View Quote
You need to find the right load. My TC Hawken could keep patched round balls touching at 50 yards over 80 grains of RS
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But it's doing the same thing over and over again.
View Quote
Stop dirt shooting and get into competition where speed and precision matter. If you’re that practiced already then you should be able to pull something off the prize table.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Go on
View Quote
Www.tacticalairoperations.com

Check out their Area 33 training facility...lots of good stuff.  

What do you want to learn?  High speed driving (I mean real, practical offensive and defensive driving)?  Parachuting with combat gear?  Being able to parachute from a plane and land at night on an exact spot the size of a pool table 30 miles from where you left the aircraft?  Night raids and ambushes? Combat scout swimming?

Everything is available for the right price.  My work sends me to some really crazy stuff, and it isn't military run training.  Want to go to SERE school?  I can help with that...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe u need to take a break OP. Nothing wrong with that.

Go back to achool if you want, it could be really fun!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
You just sound boring all around...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's $2,240 in ammo at a measly $0.20 for 9mm.

View Quote
You got 'im.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It can be fun, but training is not for fun. It's something we do because we're American men and women and it is (or should be) a part of our lives.

Do it even if you're tired of it and don't want to. Someone out there is training to kill you right now, and chances are he's motivated and good at doing evil.
View Quote
This. Although I don't expect to ever go Red Dawn in my back yard, there are thousands who train day in and day out, to kill you!

That, in and of itself, should be a sobering thought.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shooting matches keeps things fresh.

RockCastle Pro-Am 2017 Pro Stage 6
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#20]
OP-You are correct.  Standing there shooting at a paper target is boring as fuck.

You need to go check out a USPSA match.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Let's say there are 4 action pistol drills you can do:

1.  Bill Drill (in under 2 seconds)
2.  El Presidente (4 seconds or less)
3.  Triple Nickel Drill (under 5 seconds)
4.  F.A.S.T. drill (time = ????)

When you are hitting those benchmarks on each of those drills, get back with us.

EDIT:  shoot the old 90 round IDPA classifier in under 90 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just not really into it anymore? Perhaps it's just a phase of shooting too much/too often?

Shooting at steel or paper, has become a chore. Indoors and Outdoors, I get bored. It's work getting the grip, finger, draw, etc. perfect. (Not really fun)

An explosion at the end of your face isn't exactly soothing either.

I've bought every firearm/accessory I've wanted...  

Not into vintage/older firearms, so there's no collector value from me there.

I've taken plenty of training classes, but lately most have felt like being back in school. (regardless of how engaging the teacher is)

I've fired long range rifles, SBRs, suppressors, full auto, hand guns, MP5's, 1911s, etc, etc.

Ammo gets a bit expensive after awhile when you can go through 250 rounds in a day.

I've been to plenty of gun shows/read plenty of new gear sites, not much impresses me anymore.

Starting to view guns as self/home defense tools and that's it. The fun just isn't there anymore.

View Quote
That's all and good, but try to compete in any of the disciplines.  I got bored with "tactical carbine and PRS style" type comps which really mimicked what I did for work, so I dove into F-TR.  Going almost a year into it and still love.  I also compete in an action pistol league.  (It's a mixture of USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, etc).  Took all the fun stuff from each and tossed the crap and we have a really fun time while refining our skills.  Ammo costs aren't really a concern with rifle or pistol.  F-Class is 60 shots (3 relays of 20) for record, so roughly 70-80 will do it, with sighters/fowlers.  Pistol league uses just under 100 per comp (3 stages with mags loaded 11, 10, 10)  

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think it is me.  I have at one point owned at least one 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 34 and 43.  I have always shot a little left with a Glock, pretty badly with the 27.  I bought a 1911 in December and it shot POI, I just wanted more capacity.  The 226/229 seem to be the best of both for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like pistol shooting, shooting rifle competitions, but skeet shooting/competitions will always be my favorite that I won’t get bored of.
View Quote

I just got back into skeet after many years away.  Such a nice change.  Outside, fresh air, relaxed pace, friendly folks, and moving targets instead of poking holes in paper.

And my new baby:

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Need to change up your dynamic. Find something you want to get better at and train.  Yeah, going out into the woods and dinking steel or putting holes in paper or trees or something will get old.  My focus has been developing a skill. And yes, some aspects of gun 'collecting' have worn on me a bit.  But I just sell off stuff I am not into any more.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I was bored with ARs and such so I followed this simple regimen.

Step 1: buy untuched Martini Henry from IMA and have it shipped to your house

Step 2: spend a weekend cleaning the thing up.

Step 3: buy brass and learn about loading for .577/450

Step 4: Take your 130+ year old rifle out and realize you're the first person to pull the trigger on it on over 100 years.

Step 5: wipe smile off face
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you shoot 2,800 rounds per week (4x week)? And 11,200 per month then?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

250 rounds?

Shit ma barrels aren’t even warmed up till around 7-800.

Ed
So you shoot 2,800 rounds per week (4x week)? And 11,200 per month then?

You should’ve called yourself ‘Killjoy’

When I go shoot I take a minimum of a 1000 rounds in .556. 250-300 in .30-06. 200 in .30 carbine. 250 in .40 S&W. Another 250 in 9mm. And 60 rounds in .338 Lapua Mag.

You should have bought your ammo before the neckbeards started whoring it. Like most of us did.

Ed

eta; o.20 cents a rounds
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Much like martial arts and playing a musical instrument, if you do not apply/challenge yourself, boredom and apathy can set in and no improvement is made.
There is always room for improvement, but it depends upon your mindset and goals.

Perhaps you should consider a different hobby than personal survival.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Give firearms a purpose in your life. They are a tool and tools SHOULD be boring without a purpose.

I suggest hunting, or competition.

I do my hunting with a bow, but I compete with firearms and I can tell you straight up that winning never gets old. If you get good enough at a particular discipline that winning comes easily start a new discipline.  You'll never run out of opportunities to push yourself to higher levels of performance, and that keeps it from getting boring. There's always another discipline to pursue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#30]
So.......You're sick of freedom, OP?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Doesn’t sound like much fun. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I usually win a couple of guns a year by shooting. Now, I usually don't get much enjoyment from buying guns. In fact, the only guns that I buy are ones I might need for matches.

It's almost like a job. (A low paying job.)
Doesn’t sound like much fun. 
We had to shoot so much at my last job, I got sick of it. I didn't go to the range for over six months after I left there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#32]
OP must have low T.

I'm happiest when I'm pulling triggers. Don't put nearly enough time or money into shooting and its the thing I care about most in life (besides God and country).

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Take a break from it and take up other hobbies?  I bounce between Jeeps/offroading,  nerding out on computer games and tech stuff, Working out, and firearms.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:10:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Everything gets old after awhile.  Everything.

I am personally glad that no place around me sell any 36 caliber black powder revolvers as I am afraid I might start a new shooting hobby.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#35]
OP
You need to go to a match, find a USPSA match they are scheduled pretty far out.
I would travel hours a few time a month.
Much fun.
https://uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs-results.php

Don't worry someone will walk you through everything in the first match.
You will surprised the difference between how good you thought you were.

Can't get much father out.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/competition-shooting/2018-3GN-Ohio-State-Championship-Match/1-2318/
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Its a phase that many gun owners go through. Ive been shooting for close to 20 years now and Ive done it a few times over the years. The joys of what it use to be go away until I find something new within shooting that draws me back. I will NEVER get out of guns together, itll never happen but not shooting once a month isnt going to kill me.

Have you tried reloading yet? Its a completely different world of things to do a learn. Plus, its relaxing to sit and do it as well. Look into trying a USPSA, F class or 3 gun match. These completely change up shooting too. I am going through a lull myself right now. I typically shoot 10k-15k 5.56 a year in ARs but the past two years, I havent really felt the AR bug. Hopefully, I am going tomorrow to get a Ruger American Ranch in 223 that I can run my can on and handload for.

Dont give up on it, theres plenty of different things that can draw you back in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Havent shot in years.  Currently remodeling a house and working full time.  I have no spare time.  Tbis make believe war is not going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just not really into it anymore? Perhaps it's just a phase of shooting too much/too often?

Shooting at steel or paper, has become a chore. Indoors and Outdoors, I get bored. It's work getting the grip, finger, draw, etc. perfect. (Not really fun)

I've taken plenty of training classes, but lately most have felt like being back in school. (regardless of how engaging the teacher is)

I've fired long range rifles, SBRs, suppressors, full auto, hand guns, MP5's, 1911s, etc, etc.

Ammo gets a bit expensive after awhile when you can go through 250 rounds in a day.

I've been to plenty of gun shows/read plenty of new gear sites, not much impresses me anymore.

Starting to view guns as self/home defense tools and that's it. The fun just isn't there anymore.

View Quote

the best steak dinner will taste crappy if you eat it enough, banging the sexiest woman alive will even get old if you do it long enough..... take a damn break and find another hobby.... hunting, fishing, reloading, metal detecting, etc.. you will keep coming back to guns. you just need to stop making guns your #1 thing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#39]
So quit, I don't understand the problem, you are sick of shooting as a hobby so quit. You are under no obligation, move on.

I was into drag racing for15 years, always trying to go faster, it was never ending. It turned into a chore, the car owned me,  I got sick of it and sold it never went back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can use the money you save to buy a membership!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I am not bored with shooting but I think I have enough to keep me entertained for a while.

I might go to a gun show near me tomorrow just to see what's there, but at this point if I buy anything it's at least going to have to be a little special, like something I missed before it went out of production.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#42]
You could always switch to swords. Those dudes NEVER get made fun of.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#43]
When I focus 100% on one hobby I will get burnt out. I find its best to jump between different hobbies. I play hockey, build with legos and run a small ebay business. when i get sick of one I will i move onto the next.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#44]
No, I still go shooting several times a week and enjoy it as much as I did decades ago.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#45]
No, not for me.
I can shoot in my back yard when I want, so no problem going to a range.
If bored, in any hobby, you can sell everything and start over again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So is having sex or eating pizza but i still love both of those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is having sex or eating pizza but i still love both of those.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I can't get enough. I'm 53 and been shooting  for as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Very. I could do more training like jiu jitsu, and so on but that's non-gun.

There's training where you shoot/run around obstacles/under vehicles/through rooms/etc which is alright. But it's the same deal, you're basically back in a school but learning hands-on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How physically fit are You? There is a whole different world of tactical training out there if you are fit enough and willing to spend the money.
Very. I could do more training like jiu jitsu, and so on but that's non-gun.

There's training where you shoot/run around obstacles/under vehicles/through rooms/etc which is alright. But it's the same deal, you're basically back in a school but learning hands-on.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear ya. I done shot a M-16 FA last summer. Now all my shit is weak and I dont like shooting anymore. It's now ghey.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top