BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, just no man.  It would have to be some post apocalyptic shit for me to eat nutria.  
View Quote
Nutria...... as in swamp rat?!

Who the fucks making chili out of swamp rat?!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Chili is serious business.
View Quote
It sure the fuck is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Maybe so, but, it taste pretty good in a gumbo!  
View Quote
I'd eat it
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
they have a stupid ass chili cookoff competition here locally not at work, but only the fucking judges can taste it.  since some asshole got sick and spoiled it for everyone.  I am not paying to go somewhere to watch other people eat something and judge it.

neat that your work had a contest, congrats.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

His recipe is not this.
View Quote
Actually it is, just with spices
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A TABLESPOON of cumin?  Really?  Sounds like an awful lot.

The chilis in adobo sauce really do make all the difference.  Puts exactly the right amount of smoke into the mix.
View Quote
A bale spoon of cumin sounds like a lot with 5lbs of meat and all those chilis? 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine is pretty similar. I use ~4 lbs of brisket instead of chuck, and it's seared on both sides before slicing it into 3/4" cubes and adding it to the pot (I don't smoke it). I don't use flour, preferring instead to use a tablespoon or two of masa if I think it needs it. I use apple cider vinegar over distilled, and I use a tablespoon or two of Asin fish sauce over soy sauce near the very end (I do this in almost every soup and stew I make). I use fresh minced garlic over the jarred stuff, and I prefer a homemade chicken broth to the boxed variety, but will settle for a premium brand in a pinch (never low sodium, though). 

For the chili peppers, I go with ~2oz each of dried New Mexico, Arbol, Cascabel, and Ancho chilies (I can find these anywhere in my AO). I like to toast the chilies for about a minute (just until the aroma breaks through) before adding the broth and simmering for a few minutes until they're pliable. I nix the cinnamon, though a 1/4 tsp ain't gonna hurt anything. Sometimes I use allspice, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll dice up some fresh chilies to add in the blender (jalapeños, habanero, and poblano) and sometimes I won't. If I'm really feeling fancy, sometimes I'll fry the puree mixture a bit before adding the rest of the broth and meat (this is easy to screw up - if you over do it, it'll taste burned, bitter and terrible). I also leave the seeds in. My Vitamix blends the ever loving dogshit out of anything I throw at it. Plus, I like the heat. 

If it's particularly hot (or if I just think it needs it), I'll add a tablespoon of molasses as the end, just for a bit of smokiness and a hint of sweet (if you can taste and identify the molasses, you added too much). 

The majority of the flavor comes from the varieties of chillies I use, and the ratios between them. That's where I focus most of my attention, when I want to tweak the flavor. 

Anyhoo, close enough. 
View Quote
My recipe is similar to yours minus the fish/soy sauce and I add dried chipotles in the Chile mix. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Poor people put bean filler in "chili", 17er.  Don't get angry because you are poor; you should have made better life choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spoken like someone that's never tried the real thing.
Real men eat beans...

It's TX meat soup with spices...
Poor people put bean filler in "chili", 17er.  Don't get angry because you are poor; you should have made better life choices.
It’s rare I’ll agree with a northerner on food choices but this guy gets it
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Says a Nutria eater...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you won with Texas style chilli,  the competition must have sucked.

That's about as equal to bragging about winning the Special Olympics

Texas meat sauce sucks ass, and it not real chilli.
Says a Nutria eater...
As a born and raised coonass I can attest to the fact that most Louisiana residents believe chili to be a slightly spicy Ragu with beans.  I am so glad I learned the error of my ways. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You must use a lot of corn starch or flour in your TX broth then...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A proper Texas chili is far thicker than the typical midwestern chili, which is usually soupy and won't usually hold up a spoon.  If one of them is "soup", it's the bean and ground beef in tomato sauce that you call "chili".  Texas chili is thick like stew.
You must use a lot of corn starch or flour in your TX broth then...
I use nothing but broth, chilis, meat, and spices and my chili is thick enough to stand a spoon in. Granted that takes a while to cook down but it’s worth it. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You been puttin dem beans in your gumbo again'. 
View Quote
Never thought of it before but there are a lot of similarities between the two dishes.  The best of both are simple and pure and then someone puts tomatoes and beans in them. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is how people outside the Madison area make chili in Wisconsin....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411079/20170211_200312-338026.JPG
View Quote
Looks edible. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My recipe is similar to yours minus the fish/soy sauce and I add dried chipotles in the Chile mix. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine is pretty similar. I use ~4 lbs of brisket instead of chuck, and it's seared on both sides before slicing it into 3/4" cubes and adding it to the pot (I don't smoke it). I don't use flour, preferring instead to use a tablespoon or two of masa if I think it needs it. I use apple cider vinegar over distilled, and I use a tablespoon or two of Asin fish sauce over soy sauce near the very end (I do this in almost every soup and stew I make). I use fresh minced garlic over the jarred stuff, and I prefer a homemade chicken broth to the boxed variety, but will settle for a premium brand in a pinch (never low sodium, though). 

For the chili peppers, I go with ~2oz each of dried New Mexico, Arbol, Cascabel, and Ancho chilies (I can find these anywhere in my AO). I like to toast the chilies for about a minute (just until the aroma breaks through) before adding the broth and simmering for a few minutes until they're pliable. I nix the cinnamon, though a 1/4 tsp ain't gonna hurt anything. Sometimes I use allspice, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll dice up some fresh chilies to add in the blender (jalapeños, habanero, and poblano) and sometimes I won't. If I'm really feeling fancy, sometimes I'll fry the puree mixture a bit before adding the rest of the broth and meat (this is easy to screw up - if you over do it, it'll taste burned, bitter and terrible). I also leave the seeds in. My Vitamix blends the ever loving dogshit out of anything I throw at it. Plus, I like the heat. 

If it's particularly hot (or if I just think it needs it), I'll add a tablespoon of molasses as the end, just for a bit of smokiness and a hint of sweet (if you can taste and identify the molasses, you added too much). 

The majority of the flavor comes from the varieties of chillies I use, and the ratios between them. That's where I focus most of my attention, when I want to tweak the flavor. 

Anyhoo, close enough. 
The fish sauce is one of those things that you use judiciously, but never tell your diners about. Used correctly, it makes pretty much every low and slow cooked stew, soup, chili, whatever, savory as a motherfucker. I’m not kidding, umami is a real fifth taste sensation (after sweetness, sourness, bitterness and saltiness) and fish sauce provides it in spades. It’s a food hack that I wish more home cooks embraced. It’s magic. 

The reason you don’t tell your diners about it (molasses suffer from the same fate), is because their rational brain will override their monkey brain upon first hearing of it, when speaking of something as simple and rustic as a bowl of proper Texas Red. Let the emotive side do the tasty emoting. They’ll never know what hit ‘em. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Another thread, another avalanche of sciolism. Poor Meso-American traditions continued to be butchered by the White-Man. 

Would you contend that a Baltic fish soup is best with tuna and premium whitefish filet? No not even close and as the early 1900's have shown us that chili in is most earliest iterations was a attempt to use shit cuts of meat into something edible.

You think those same men got $$$ chuck and brisket to grind up with chilis? It was the bottom of the barrel cuts that dare i say... INCLUDED FILLER OF WHATEVER THEY HAD AT HAND!
Brick Chili(pre-canning)was routinely reduced in a cast iron pot along with filler vegetables and legumes no one ate that quality of cut meat straight up. Popular in the Southwest and you would be ignorant to ignore that southwest style cuisine almost universally means added beans/rice/corn.

The chili concept rapidly expanded well before Texans had a chance to lock down anything definitive. You can be upset and say beans are not pure but where is the same contempt for Cincinnati style which is basically a.... MEAT SAUCE  Beans were absolutely essential in the popularization of chili there is no doubt in my mind that the lower-class was 100% responsive to the concept of beans in chili. These opulent examples of premium angus beef stews are disingenuous.

LBJ's wife put the final dagger into the Chili lineage by popularizing a meat sauce that's basically soup hamburger /w onions and chili powder.

How do ya'll meat sauce eaters sleep at night. Monsters
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another thread, another avalanche of sciolism. Poor Meso-American traditions continued to be butchered by the White-Man. 

Would you contend that a Baltic fish soup is best with tuna and premium whitefish filet? No not even close and as the early 1900's have shown us that chili in is most earliest iterations was a attempt to use shit cuts of meat into something edible.

You think those same men got $$ chuck and brisket to grind up with chilis? It was the bottom of the barrel cuts that dare i say... INCLUDED FILLER OF WHATEVER THEY HAD AT HAND!
Brick Chili(pre-canning)was routinely reduced in a cast iron pot along with filler vegetables and legumes no one ate that quality of cut meat straight up. Popular in the Southwest and you would be ignorant to ignore that southwest style cuisine almost universally means added beans/rice/corn.

The chili concept rapidly expanded well before Texans had a chance to lock down anything definitive. You can be upset and say beans are not pure but where is the same contempt for Cincinnati style which is basically a.... MEAT SAUCE  Beans were absolutely essential in the popularization of chili there is no doubt in my mind that the lower-class was 100% responsive to the concept of beans in chili. These opulent examples of premium angus beef stews are disingenuous.

LBJ's wife put the final dagger into the Chili lineage by popularizing a meat sauce that's basically soup hamburger /w onions and chili powder.

View Quote
Quite contentedly, with a belly full of meat instead of cheap, tasteless filler.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You think those same men got $$ chuck and brisket to grind up with chilis? It was the bottom of the barrel cuts that dare i say... INCLUDED FILLER OF WHATEVER THEY HAD AT HAND!

View Quote
Your post was 90% tasteless filler.

Much like the bean soup you love.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Chili threads are almost as informative and  fun as our 9mm vs. .45 threads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The fish sauce is one of those things that you use judiciously, but never tell your diners about. Used correctly, it makes pretty much every low and slow cooked stew, soup, chili, whatever, savory as a motherfucker. I’m not kidding, umami is a real fifth taste sensation (after sweetness, sourness, bitterness and saltiness) and fish sauce provides it in spades. It’s a food hack that I wish more home cooks embraced. It’s magic. 

The reason you don’t tell your diners about it (molasses suffer from the same fate), is because their rational brain will override their monkey brain upon first hearing of it, when speaking of something as simple and rustic as a bowl of proper Texas Red. Let the emotive side do the tasty emoting. They’ll never know what hit ‘em. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyhoo, close enough. 

I grew up on fish sauce. Quit spoiling my secrets...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top