Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, you could remain uninformed , or you could educate yourself.

I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the Marines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand the AF.
Well, you could remain uninformed , or you could educate yourself.

I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the Marines.
I've been in all four branches of the DoD (mostly reserve component).  All the branches have things that make me think the other branches should do it that way, and things that make me wonder, "What the hell are they thinking?"

There is a quote about Marines that is very true.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines-- Marines and their enemies.  Everyone else has a second-hand opinion"

Those giant sword pics make me wonder, "What the hell...?"
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Damn, those things would require a lot of tape.
View Quote
Deserving of a quote.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

More of our taxes are wasted on other bullshit.

This is for the best of the best leaders.

So chillax.
View Quote
Oh yeah, that's absolutely the best rationalization?  

You realize you can pay extra taxes if you want; just write a check to the IRS.  However, I'd prefer my tax dollars weren't wasted on silly shit like this
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, that's absolutely the best rationalization?  

You realize you can pay extra taxes if you want; just write a check to the IRS.  However, I'd prefer my tax dollars weren't wasted on silly shit like this
View Quote
While I don't know for sure about those swords, from what I have seen during my career, plaques, retirement gifts, etc, are paid for by members of the unit taking up collections, not with tax dollars.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Those swords are .
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which late night infomerical did they order those from?  
View Quote
It's an old tradition for the AF to order only the best.  Those swords are Filipino made or nothing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the Marines.
View Quote
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
View Quote
Where does the Dependapotamus fit in?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So for better chairs for enlisted, the commanders get a ridiculous sword that is unwieldy?

Unnecessary and irrational.

Marines scoff at these ceremonies. They do not compare to the Running of the Boot, Field God Sacrifices or the ever classy SNCO Retirement at the Purple Church or Driftwood.
View Quote
Ya fuck'n ay right!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The single wide paradise.  Barely!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Were golf clubs unavailable ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Suck weasel bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Haters gona hate. I'm sure none of the other service branches have traditions that make you say...Hummmmm??????????? You know, Like the Navy crossing the equator. The whole poly-wog and king Neptune thing
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Haters gona hate. I'm sure none of the other service branches have traditions that make you say...Hummmmm??????????? You know, Like the Navy crossing the equator. The whole poly-wog and king Neptune thing
View Quote
That would be the Line-Crossing Ceremony.  Makes perfect sense, actually.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn, those things would require a lot of tape.
View Quote
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!  Lots and LOTS of tape!!!!  and a pretty decent sized box, too!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Air Force is gay.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trusty Shellback
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. Yes. I'm sure it does. If you're in the Navy.

To those of us that were, or are, in the "civilian" branch of the service, as a Marine friend of mine refered to us, it makes no sense and seems, shall we say, rather silly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Long tradition of over sized swords.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Suck weasel bullshit.
View Quote
Nailed it.

Zero: "So, uh, I'm getting ready to leave.  You guys think I'm awesome, right?"

E-wannabe-9's: "Oh, uh, hell yeah!  Here, have this cartoonish, oversized sword as a symbol of our respect, boss!"

Zero: "You like me!  You really like me!"

Still, why not.  For the "muh tax pennies" crowd, unit awards are typically funded through a collection.  I have no reason to think this is any different.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nailed it.

E-wannabe-9's: "Oh, uh, hell yeah!  Here, have this cartoonish, oversized sword as a symbol of our respect, boss!"

Still, why not.  For the "muh tax pennies" crowd, unit awards are typically funded through a collection.  I have no reason to think this is any different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suck weasel bullshit.
Nailed it.

The AF as an institution has a serious need for shared hardship and experiences - especially objective accomplishments - among units. Without it, you get these weird fraternity rituals to compensate.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#25]
If you don't know the riddle of tape...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The AF as an institution has a serious need for shared hardship and experiences - especially objective accomplishments - among units. Without it, you get these weird fraternity rituals to compensate.
View Quote
And you get Air Force Security Police saying that they're "basically infantry" without the slightest hint of irony.

The Air Force does stuff that nobody else can do and does it well.  It can be proud of that.  It can stop trying to be something other than what it is and never can be.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Where is @sylvan?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I love the second picture.  The general's wife looks like she's afraid they're going to behead someone.

View Quote
There can be only one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#29]
All i want to know is what is the damage multiplier on that lightning blade?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And you get Air Force Security Police saying that they're "basically infantry" without the slightest hint of irony.

The Air Force does stuff that nobody else can do and does it well.  It can be proud of that.  It can stop trying to be something other than what it is and never can be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the Security Forces and I hate that "We're basically infantry." bullshit.  Yes I've been trained in infantry tactics, but I've also been trained to guard nukes and write speeding tickets too.  I have to know how everything from how to use our weapon systems, how to employ them properly in a squad sized element, secure flightlines and resources, and to also be able to perform the myriad of tasks within law enforcement.  My career field is a mashed up, neither fish nor fowl conglomeration of, "Oh you guys have guns, make sure nothing happens to our stuff and people."  My wife was an xray tech, she just had to know her job.  I have to know three different modalities of my career field and somehow balance them on a day to day basis.  So no, I'm not infantry never have and never will be.  And I also hate the fucking waterheads in my career field who spout that damn line.  

Insofar as to the appearance of these swords, I would say their gaudiness can be attributed to a lack of modern understanding of the sword and the typical Air Force mentality of always out doing the last guy.  Even though the Order of the Sword is a high honor, someone should really take a step back and think before they design the sword and not make it look like something out of a weird Japanese cartoon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm in the Security Forces and I hate that "We're basically infantry." bullshit.  Yes I've been trained in infantry tactics, but I've also been trained to guard nukes and write speeding tickets too.  I have to know how everything from how to use our weapon systems, how to employ them properly in a squad sized element, secure flightlines and resources, and to also be able to perform the myriad of tasks within law enforcement.  My career field is a mashed up, neither fish nor fowl conglomeration of, "Oh you guys have guns, make sure nothing happens to our stuff and people."  My wife was an xray tech, she just had to know her job.  I have to know three different modalities of my career field and somehow balance them on a day to day basis.  So no, I'm not infantry never have and never will be.  And I also hate the fucking waterheads in my career field who spout that damn line.  

Insofar as to the appearance of these swords, I would say their gaudiness can be attributed to a lack of modern understanding of the sword and the typical Air Force mentality of always out doing the last guy.  Even though the Order of the Sword is a high honor, someone should really take a step back and think before they design the sword and not make it look like something out of a weird Japanese cartoon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this. AF cops are much more like Army MPs than anything, and neither are infantry, For the AF, though, using crew served weapons and defending static installations is as far outside of most people’s conceptual understanding as traditional infantry operations.

And the sword... why a sword? The service is air-focused. So much to draw from to create a tradition. Instead, it’s “cartoonish version of hand to hand combat implement that the other services have actually issued and used in their history.”
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Bohr_Adam, I couldn't agree more my friend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Gay mafia has infiltrated the USAF.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
All jokes aside these are photos of an Order of the Sword ceremony.  This ceremony is done to honor commanders by enlisted personnel who have done an extremely fine job leading their units or commands.  They appear in the photos to be unit level awards but the main Air Force award is a big deal.  Only 200 people since the 1970's have been awarded this.  

The unit level swords you see in the photos appear gaudy, but it is still an honor.  Most times a commander leaves a unit with trinkets or a signed lithograph, not something like this.  This is an honor most commanders will never see in their careers.
View Quote
That used to be the case, it’s now a gimme for every dickbag to come down the pike, whether or not they have ever done shit for the enlisted corps. Witness honorees Gen Merrill McPeak and Gen Robert H. Foglesong. Fuckwits of the highest order.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, for a service that's never actually used swords in their lineage, I suppose they just had to make something up...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Air Force = Legend of Zelda fans ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Were golf clubs unavailable ?
View Quote
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#39]
My cunt of a stepfather tried to start one of these at the base he retired from, even supplied the sword.

It was the most awkward thing I’ve ever witnessed, I knew they’d never follow through with it.

I never saw that sword again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pretty much this. AF cops are much more like Army MPs than anything, and neither are infantry, For the AF, though, using crew served weapons and defending static installations is as far outside of most people’s conceptual understanding as traditional infantry operations.

And the sword... why a sword? The service is air-focused. So much to draw from to create a tradition. Instead, it’s “cartoonish version of hand to hand combat implement that the other services have actually issued and used in their history.”
View Quote
Don't forget how the unit coin didn't originate with 10th group in Vietnam.

oh no, it was an old air corps tradition from WW1.  Which no one has ever seen an actual example of.

as for the crew served dildo?

lulz.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
yeah.. Taxes!!
View Quote
look, we got a 15%er complaining about taxes
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Brown nosers infest the Air Force NCO ranks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why did McPeak get one?
Brown nosers infest the Air Force NCO ranks.
This. McPeak was a waste of oxygen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That there then.
I also hate the " the AF is a bush of non-combat pussies..."  Well yes, you will get that when 95% of our jobs are non-combat...
I have been in for 20+ years and never seen this till now.  lol.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#44]
So, let me see if I have this straight: The only branch of the Military that NEVER used swords in combat feels the need to have the biggest?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So, let me see if I have this straight: The only branch of the Military that NEVER used swords in combat feels the need to have the biggest?
View Quote
Damn,

Fucking 88Ms calling em out now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pharaoh had his phallic monolith, USAF has their phallic swords.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All jokes aside these are photos of an Order of the Sword ceremony.  This ceremony is done to honor commanders by enlisted personnel who have done an extremely fine job leading their units or commands.  They appear in the photos to be unit level awards but the main Air Force award is a big deal.  Only 200 people since the 1970's have been awarded this.  

The unit level swords you see in the photos appear gaudy, but it is still an honor.  Most times a commander leaves a unit with trinkets or a signed lithograph, not something like this.  This is an honor most commanders will never see in their careers.
View Quote
(step) dad got one when he left as CO of the 1st SOW
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Damn,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn,

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can’t use actual swords since we never used them. Must make up silly ornamental ones instead. If you could only see the fraud, waste, and abuse we create with the several million dollars of cnc machines, water jets, etc my unit owns you would crap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top