Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're wrong and you don't even know why.  There are no reasonably priced new cars that are rear wheel drive.  The new Camaro and Challenger are pigs and cost more than that guy has in his car.  You are proposing buying a 40k car to cut up and spend another 20k on to match this car.  Here is another point you miss, this car is not about handling.  The guy that built this doesn't give two shits that your Miata will out corner it. 

The G body is that last vestige of affordable rwd gm performance.  They weren't even moderately powered but their engine bays can hold any powerplant and are fairly light weight for a full framed car.

As far as your last point go, that's an opinion so it's neither right or wrong.  I do agree with the ones saying it's a sausage magnet though.  Girls don't give a fuck about that shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A fourth gen Malibu? Gross.

I'd rather have that orange pickup (Studebaker?), the first gen Camaro, or the Nova also seen in these videos.
You mean a 3400# car vs the heavy as fuck A bodies.  Give me the g body any day.  You start with a four link suspension in those cars, they are a very solid platform.
If performance is your goal, you shouldn't start with antique cars. Modern cars have better metallurgy, better suspension, better powertrains, and better everything in general.

Antique cars are for enjoying for the experience. The '50s and '60s are the golden age of automotive Americana. That Malibu comes from the dark ages of the Malaise Days.

Also, I'd contend there's more fun to be had cruising around with a straight six and a three on the tree than there is trying to street a car that can barely idle.
You're wrong and you don't even know why.  There are no reasonably priced new cars that are rear wheel drive.  The new Camaro and Challenger are pigs and cost more than that guy has in his car.  You are proposing buying a 40k car to cut up and spend another 20k on to match this car.  Here is another point you miss, this car is not about handling.  The guy that built this doesn't give two shits that your Miata will out corner it. 

The G body is that last vestige of affordable rwd gm performance.  They weren't even moderately powered but their engine bays can hold any powerplant and are fairly light weight for a full framed car.

As far as your last point go, that's an opinion so it's neither right or wrong.  I do agree with the ones saying it's a sausage magnet though.  Girls don't give a fuck about that shit.
According to KBB, the average new car transaction price in June was about $34,400. For that, you can get a Toyota 86, a Mazda Miata, a Ford Mustang, a Chevy Camaro, a Dodge Challenger, a Nissan Z, a BMW 2 Series, or probably another car or three I'm not thinking of. But then again, that's just what's available brand new with a warranty. You can buy something 5-10 years old for significantly less money and have a starting point that's light-years ahead of any Malaise Era shit heap.

GM has been building LSs for a long damn time now, the Ford Coyotes have been in production since 2011, and if you're a dirty Mopar fan, the modern Hemi has been in cars since at least 2006.

Considering what Malaise Malibu dude most likely has invested in speed parts, all of this and more is probably an option.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather have that orange pickup (Studebaker?), the first gen Camaro, or the Nova also seen in these videos.
You mean a 3400# car vs the heavy as fuck A bodies.  Give me the g body any day.  You start with a four link suspension in those cars, they are a very solid platform.
If performance is your goal, you shouldn't start with antique cars. Modern cars have better metallurgy, better suspension, better powertrains, and better everything in general.

Antique cars are for enjoying for the experience. The '50s and '60s are the golden age of automotive Americana. That Malibu comes from the dark ages of the Malaise Days.

Also, I'd contend there's more fun to be had cruising around with a straight six and a three on the tree than there is trying to street a car that can barely idle.

You realize that your argument is garbage yet? 

Pick one, the not "even moderately powered G body" was the last vestige of performance, or performance metrics are measured off engine bay size and what different motor can be fit in them. 

Which is it going to be? 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What side do you presume I’m on?
View Quote
I don't really care, I think it's silly to choose a side and whine about what interests other people.
I find it difficult to believe that someone could genuinely like cars and not find the vehicle in the video to be at least interesting.

I think fox bodies are some of the ugliest cars ever made, but I don't shit on guys that have built up fox bodies.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pick one, the not "even moderately powered G body" was the last vestige of performance, or performance metrics are measured off engine bay size and what different motor can be fit in them. 

Which is it going to be? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is it going to be? 
I'm referring to the platform, the argument stands sir.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

According to KBB, the average new car transaction price in June was about $34,400. For that, you can get a Toyota 86, a Mazda Miata, a Ford Mustang, a Chevy Camaro, a Dodge Challenger, a Nissan Z, a BMW 2 Series, or probably another car or three I'm not thinking of. But then again, that's just what's available brand new with a warranty. You can buy something 5-10 years old for significantly less money and have a starting point that's light-years ahead of any Malaise Era shit heap.

GM has been building LSs for a long damn time now, the Ford Coyotes have been in production since 2011, and if you're a dirty Mopar fan, the modern Hemi has been in cars since at least 2006.

Considering what Malaise Malibu dude most likely has invested in speed parts, all of this and more is probably an option.
View Quote
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  A $1500 Malibu with $20k put in it is way more affordable and in my opinion cooler than your examples.  The Malibu was also bought out right without payments more than likely so it can be piecemealed over time.  A lot of the population can't afford payments and speed parts at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So for someone who desires an animalistic vehicle like the one Malibu dude built... most of the 34k vehicles you posted are lame ass weak sauce.

Some of them (let's say Camaro, Mustang, Challenger) are available in very aggressive performance versions. Those aren't 34k though. Plus there is only so much you can do to them without voiding that warranty you speak of, and/or violating state/federal emissions laws, which is a factor with both new and newer used. And then there's vehicle weight...

I'm not saying it can't be done. We have members here with crazy versions of those cars. But all of those things are potential problems to a person who would build a car like the Malibu. The solutions you speak of come with their own issues. Personally I'm tired of the "let's work around all of the rules as we mod a newer car" game. Give me something older to work with!

Like I said earlier in this thread, I would rather insert new technology into a vehicle that is a blank slate, free of current mandates and regulations. You have the freedom to do whatever you want. Malibu dude wanted an animal with a blower.

But you guys go tell him a Toyota 86 is a better ride for him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They would shit their pants if they heard a top fuel at full throttle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like a race car.  Most people have never heard real race cars.
Well, to be fair: I'm into cars, and sometimes when I'm next to the burnout box when top fuel races, my bowels get a little loose, too.

You can be all the way at the top of the stands, thinking you're safe, and you still feel it in your fucking chest.  

Quoted:
I stood near this as a child while it was being tuned in a suburban L.A.
shop's lot. The concussion would affect your heart efficiency. I was nine and would
back away occasionally to catch my breath after standing within twenty feet of the rear.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/332308/IMG_0136_JPG-337602.jpg
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, to be fair: I'm into cars, and sometimes when I'm next to the burnout box when top fuel races, my bowels get a little loose, too.

You can be all the way at the top of the stands, thinking you're safe, and you still feel it in your fucking chest.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like a race car.  Most people have never heard real race cars.

Just standing in a garage while a 10-second car with a V8 is idling would shock most people.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They were dirt cheap all the way into the early 90s, if memory serves.

A neighbor of mine was selling his 1968 Roadrunner (383) circa 1994. It was unrestored, and the paint was faded and oxidized. Still, it was rust free, the body had no dings, and it was in great mechanical shape. Interior was worn, but serviceable - no tears or holes. It was his daily driver. He was asking $4,200. As a teenager, he might as well have been asking $100k, for all the hope I had of buying that making $4.25/hr part time. 

By the time I had a real job, career, house, etc 5 or 6 years later, they became unobtanium. They fetch exotic car money now, if restored. It’s depressing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  You know what sucks?  ARFcom had a recent thread about the 80's, and I was trying to find pictures of Friday/Saturday night cruising, especially after football games and such, from back in the day...and they're just not out there.  Literally a whole generation of awesomeness, and damn little record of it.

Cruising was a real thing for us kids back then.  It was our generation's cell phone.  It's how we listened to our music, how we watched our movies (drive-ins), how we met our girls, how we spent our money.
Should have seen it in the 70's when muscle cars were a dime a dozen.
They were dirt cheap all the way into the early 90s, if memory serves.

A neighbor of mine was selling his 1968 Roadrunner (383) circa 1994. It was unrestored, and the paint was faded and oxidized. Still, it was rust free, the body had no dings, and it was in great mechanical shape. Interior was worn, but serviceable - no tears or holes. It was his daily driver. He was asking $4,200. As a teenager, he might as well have been asking $100k, for all the hope I had of buying that making $4.25/hr part time. 

By the time I had a real job, career, house, etc 5 or 6 years later, they became unobtanium. They fetch exotic car money now, if restored. It’s depressing.
Exactly this.  In high school my 1969 Tbird was free if I got it running.  My 1966 Mustang was $500, but I had to get it running/off the property from a place out in the woods.  High school Camaros (2nd gen) were $500 or less.  Hell, people didn't want old chargers/cudas/challengers because of their sheer size.  Used to see them for less than Camaros.  A set of Cragars used ran about $100 (though must of us had slotted mags), turbo mufflers were $8, and we all had a set of 8x10 speakers on the rear package shelf.  

Hell, in 1987 I scored a 1969 Mach I with a 427 and a 4 speed for $1200.  I sold it (I hadn't got to the interior yet when I had to pcs, and back then  I never thought the prices would do what they've done) for $1500 6 months later.

Man, hindsight.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Came to post this.  Growing up in the Central Valley that was a normal Friday/Saturday night.
View Quote
In the late 70's, we were going back to NorCal from Fresno and stopped for gas somewhere. It was Saturday night, and the street was packed with kids and cars, lots of muscle and VWs, and Vans were still a thing.  It was so cool that we convinced my Dad to just park and let us watch for awhile. I'm pretty sure that this was the inkling that started my love affair with cars.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember this car from the Street Machine Nationals West in Sacramento, CA about 1984.

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/97742-Chevette%20Pro%20Street.JPG

At the time, my daily driver was a 1967 Plymouth GTX with a 440, .030" over with 11.5 TRW pistons, mildly ported iron heads 292° .509" cam, 800 CFM Holley, etc.
Needless to say the car was extremely traction limited on the street...
View Quote
I was 17 then, in a ratty-ass '66 Mustang, and lived an hour away.  We probably bumped into each other at that show.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
70s and Sunrise... Good times indeed...Tognotti's was the stop...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is really something that is part of today's culture, and high-dollar thug racing scene made popular on TV.
Back in the 80s and 90s when cruising was still a thing, seeing cars like this on the street on weekends wasn't really out of the ordinary.

Many nights I've watched cops sit right by the burnout pit and only get involved when someone started getting squirrely.  And then it was usually just to tell them to keep control of their shit or go home.

I'm aware--I was part of that scene.

Blown street cars were rare as fuck, and always caused a scene when they showed up to cruise...But alcohol?  Never saw one.  Some Hilborn alcohol injection, once in a great while...but I never saw anything like this.
But this was in NorCal (Sacramento...Sunrise, for those that know the area and might remember the day ).  Back when Tower of Records/Posters was still a thing, and you give jugs to the A&W girl to fill.
70s and Sunrise... Good times indeed...Tognotti's was the stop...
You have just proven yourself my brother. That place was dreamland for me, but it would be fair to sat that most of my money went to the wrecking yards across 50.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, OC has been pushing to get rid of hot rod weekend because theyre a bunch of bitches.
View Quote
My BIL loves the OT when he's sent there to help out, but for some reason he only hands out cellphone, unrestrained baby, and reckless driving citations...

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just standing in a garage while a 10-second car with a V8 is idling would shock most people.
View Quote
Maybe I'm out of touch, but a 10 second car these days is "meh".

I guess I need to keep in mind, most peoples "10 second" car is the 0-60 times.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So for someone who desires an animalistic vehicle like the one Malibu dude built... most of the 34k vehicles you posted are lame ass weak sauce.

Some of them (let's say Camaro, Mustang, Challenger) are available in very aggressive performance versions. Those aren't 34k though. Plus there is only so much you can do to them without voiding that warranty you speak of, and/or violating state/federal emissions laws, which is a factor with both new and newer used. And then there's vehicle weight...

I'm not saying it can't be done. We have members here with crazy versions of those cars. But all of those things are potential problems to a person who would build a car like the Malibu. The solutions you speak of come with their own issues. Personally I'm tired of the "let's work around all of the rules as we mod a newer car" game. Give me something older to work with!

Like I said earlier in this thread, I would rather insert new technology into a vehicle that is a blank slate, free of current mandates and regulations. You have the freedom to do whatever you want. Malibu dude wanted an animal with a blower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose if absolutely the only thing you care about is going fast in a straight line it makes sense to pour money into some old junker. Beyond that though there's value in handling, value in braking, features, comfort, reliability, efficiency, safety, etc... And it's not like modern cars are slow at all, in fact you'll need to sink a bunch of money into an old pile before it'll even match a single aspect of a modern performance car.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Wonder what it would take to get my Hell Cat to 1000 HP??????

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#17]
a malibu
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is my car.   Notice the supercharger whine and idle surge!!!  Unfortunately it hasn't been down the track since then because my gun funds are superseding the car funds :(
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is my car.   Notice the supercharger whine and idle surge!!!  Unfortunately it hasn't been down the track since then because my gun funds are superseding the car funds :(
1/8 mile?  Don't know the track or do you own a legit 8.9 street car?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Kids these days are too busy going fast to worry about how antique cars sound.
View Quote
Lol...maybe if their parents drive them.  Kids around here don't even get driver's licenses, for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#20]
@P-more
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
A 10 second car is not "meh" in the real world. On the internet everyone's daily driver makes 1400 hp but in the real world a 10 second street car,let alone a daily driver,is a pretty rare thing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For those that "don't get it", forward to 0:40 in that video.
See everyone turn their head and cover their ears? That's because it goes from kinda loud to having a JDAM land in your lap loud instantly. It's also about the closest thing to a Shuttle launch or getting sling shotted off a carrier deck that mortals get to experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1vBp4g2zqE

No way would I spend my money on one of those things, but I understand why people do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one needs a tune.

https://youtu.be/W1vBp4g2zqE
For those that "don't get it", forward to 0:40 in that video.
See everyone turn their head and cover their ears? That's because it goes from kinda loud to having a JDAM land in your lap loud instantly. It's also about the closest thing to a Shuttle launch or getting sling shotted off a carrier deck that mortals get to experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1vBp4g2zqE

No way would I spend my money on one of those things, but I understand why people do.
But muh Prius bro.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A 10 second car is not "meh" in the real world. On the internet everyone's daily driver makes 1400 hp but in the real world a 10 second street car,let alone a daily driver,is a pretty rare thing.
View Quote
What you've written is nothing but truth...internet bravado, plus arfcom's wealthy membership.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#25]
A whole lot of faggotry in this thread.  People bitching about classic cars.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
No shit.
Attachment Attached File

ETA, the cool thing about an old ugly duckling car is you can do whatever you want to them and no one cares.  And they are a dirt cheap starting point that can grow as money allows.  Chop up an old Chevelle (if you're willing to pay the buy in price just for a starting point) or the like and the resto guys get all hurt in the ass about it.  

The "modern performance car" fans don't get it and never will, and that's ok...  they don't need to "get it", it's not their car.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I suppose if absolutely the only thing you care about is going fast in a straight line it makes sense to pour money into some old junker. Beyond that though there's value in handling, value in braking, features, comfort, reliability, efficiency, safety, etc... And it's not like modern cars are slow at all, in fact you'll need to sink a bunch of money into an old pile before it'll even match a single aspect of a modern performance car.
View Quote
Eh, some guys DO just want to go fast in a straight line.  More power to them, if they enjoy that.  I can't imagine why someone would be offended by that, unless it was just an attempt to prove their superiority.  

Modern cars are much better tech, and it is easier to get performance out of them.  But that's not why many people build cars.  They build cars for fun, for nostalgia, for single aspects of the hobby.  Hell, look at the diesel truck drag races.  That's cool with me.  

As for handling, value in braking, features, comfort, reliability, efficiency, safety - I don't care about most of that.  I enjoy handling, braking, reliability (to a point, you're going to break shit if you run hard) and raw power.  I couldn't give two shits about features, comfort, efficiency or modern safety requirements.  Those things you list as important to you, are not selling points for me.  We all have different levels of risk aversion, and different things about the hobby we enjoy.

If I was going to build a competition car and actually compete in auto racing events I would totally start with a newer vehicle.  If I am going to build a car I want to enjoy cruising, looking at in my garage, and occasionally mashing the pedal just to get some shit eating grins- its going to be an early 70's Camaro or Chevelle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  A $1500 Malibu with $20k put in it is way more affordable and in my opinion cooler than your examples.  The Malibu was also bought out right without payments more than likely so it can be piecemealed over time.  A lot of the population can't afford payments and speed parts at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, you're going from one extreme (brand new) to another (Malaise). There's over 35 years of automotive progress and development between the two.

$20k+ is $20k+ regardless of how he spent it. He could have bought a Mazda RX with a broken dorito or a 4th gen F-body with a V6 for cheap, LS swapped it, and added boost. Fifth gen Mustangs are working their way down the depreciation curve, and SN-95s are about as close to free as it gets these days. All of these options and more would be superior to a 4th gen Malibu by just about every metric imaginable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
4th gen Malibus aren't classic cars.

Sometimes, old shit is just old shit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
They have been climbing in value lately. The G body GMs were arguably the last muscle car platform. Intermediate sized, full frame, read wheel drive, two door, V8 and so on. I have some fond memories from high school in a friends 78 Malibu that had the factory V6 swapped for a mildly warmed over 350 and four speed complete with homemade linkage we wasted hours and hours fabricating. it would be slow by todays standards but in the late 90's it was more than enough to eat all the 5.0s Mustangs and Camaros you would encounter in town.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Girls don't care about your car, they care about your net worth, and income level in hopes that you can provide them with a better lifestyle they just see the car as a possible sign that a guy has means. disposable income.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big HP....period.........nothing will wet a girls panties faster then big HP....
Girls don't care about your car, they care about your net worth, and income level in hopes that you can provide them with a better lifestyle they just see the car as a possible sign that a guy has means. disposable income.
Fixed it for you :)
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No shit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/109172/07f-338745.JPG

ETA, the cool thing about an old ugly duckling car is you can do whatever you want to them and no one cares.  And they are a dirt cheap starting point that can grow as money allows.  Chop up an old Chevelle (if you're willing to pay the buy in price just for a starting point) or the like and the resto guys get all hurt in the ass about it.  

The "modern performance car" fans don't get it and never will, and that's ok...  they don't need to "get it", it's not their car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/109172/07f-338745.JPG

Get both....

Talon may be faster,  but that A models going to be a hoot, it's going to be a rail job but w/210hp rev happy Pontiac OHC inline 6 and no weight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Get both....
https://i.imgur.com/iS36MJy.jpg
,https://i.imgur.com/VbKv9QV.jpg

Talon may be faster,  but that A models going to be a hoot, it's going to be a rail job but w/210hp rev happy Pontiac OHC inline 6 and no weight.
View Quote
I want so bad to put together some sort of fenderless pickup.  I live in a vintage tin starved area though.  So unless I want to travel halfway across the state, it'll remain a fantasy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

1/8 mile?  Don't know the track or do you own a legit 8.9 street car?
View Quote
1/4 mile.  Beech Bend in Bowling Green, KY
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They have been climbing in value lately. The G body GMs were arguably the last muscle car platform. Intermediate sized, full frame, read wheel drive, two door, V8 and so on. I have some fond memories from high school in a friends 78 Malibu that had the factory V6 swapped for a mildly warmed over 350 and four speed complete with homemade linkage we wasted hours and hours fabricating. it would be slow by todays standards but in the late 90's it was more than enough to eat all the 5.0s Mustangs and Camaros you would encounter in town.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save your breath, apparently because he doesn't like something makes it a piece of shit and not worth playing with.  I'd like to see his fast ride.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/9wMelAC.jpg
This, I had a 12 second street buggy at one point years ago,  There were more than a few cars in town faster than it, almost anything this side of a grocery cart handled better than it.  But it was still a blast and even the guys with the real cool cars thought it was neat.  I would love to have a 10 second car, but recently realized a 10 second bike is WAY cheaper.  I dont know what the hell is wrong with some of you guys bitching about what other people like.  Different strokes for different folks, its not hard to say "cool, not my thing, but cool"
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:33:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What you've written is nothing but truth...internet bravado, plus arfcom's wealthy membership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://m.imgur.com/4Rmp3HN

Yep, internet bravado.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Number one thing I noticed about videos in OP... when leaving the gas station he pulled in front of a Grand National.

The GN probably would have smoked him. That's just how those guys rolls. A GN that isnt lifting the front is like the spring without rain.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
My LX Notch would have busted that ass if you were in my town....
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are lots. They just aren’t cheap. There are also several factory cars in the 9s. You can buy factory F150s in the 13s now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't really care, I think it's silly to choose a side and whine about what interests other people.
I find it difficult to believe that someone could genuinely like cars and not find the vehicle in the video to be at least interesting.

I think fox bodies are some of the ugliest cars ever made, but I don't shit on guys that have built up fox bodies.
View Quote
Ordinarily I let people have their blindness in peace and quiet but this was a retarded call out thread so here I am.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure they're classic cars.  I guess you've never seen Training Day.  That Monte Carlo was pretty classic.  It's 2017.  You have to expand your horizons past 60s and early 70s cars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
One girl lost her pants at 1:24. (in the second video)
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quite telling that the cops descend on the car like flies to shit.

"Sir, your car is too loud to be in a classic car run and you'll need to park it until you can get a trailer to get it off the streets."

I remember when you could find a steady stream of cars like that circling any Dairy Queen in America on any given Saturday night. 
View Quote
So you are saying that there was a steady stream of alcohol burning dragsters circling DQ ?? I am throwing the BS flag on this one....
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Someone towed a Willys gasser into Oscars in Santa Ana one night.  It seemed to be extra jacked up in the front.  When they popped the hood..surprise...no engine....everyone laughed...
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Again, you're going from one extreme (brand new) to another (Malaise). There's over 35 years of automotive progress and development between the two.

$20k+ is $20k+ regardless of how he spent it. He could have bought a Mazda RX with a broken dorito or a 4th gen F-body with a V6 for cheap, LS swapped it, and added boost. Fifth gen Mustangs are working their way down the depreciation curve, and SN-95s are about as close to free as it gets these days. All of these options and more would be superior to a 4th gen Malibu by just about every metric imaginable.
View Quote
Maybe he doesn't want to do that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I’ve owned 60s era to current era fast muscle cars.   While I can somewhat understand such argument between domestic vs foreign, I absolutely cannot understand anything else.  I’ve always been a Ford guy, and preferentially Mustangs, I still very much appreciate Chevy’s (such as 55-57 Bel Airs, chevelle, novas, Camaro, corvettes,  Malibu’s of any gen, impalas, etc,)
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess I'm a weirdo, because I can appreciate just about any kind of badass car. The car in the OP would not be for me, but I'm glad someone is still out there doing that kind of thing.

My fun time ride.  68mm turbos, and pushing about 650 horsepower to the wheels.  I'm under no delusions that it's the fastest car out there, but it frequently create some White Knuckles on my passengers when the whine starts to build in the back.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Save your breath, apparently because he doesn't like something makes it a piece of shit and not worth playing with.  I'd like to see his fast ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, Malaise Era American cars are legitimately shitty. Every time you wonder why the Japanese have dominated all of the passenger car segments for the last 20+ years, remember the cars the Big 3 shit out during that time period.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top