BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For those that "don't get it", forward to 0:40 in that video.
See everyone turn their head and cover their ears? That's because it goes from kinda loud to having a JDAM land in your lap loud instantly. It's also about the closest thing to a Shuttle launch or getting sling shotted off a carrier deck that mortals get to experience.

snip
View Quote
I still don't get it.  Yeah it's loud, and it's probably powerful, but he didn't even take off fast.  He just floored it, spun the tires losing all traction, and started moving forward at about the speed of a Prius.  Is it cool just because it's loud as hell and can barely idle?

I'd like to see how the car can handle at 150mph, how well it can brake and steer, and how it can negotiate all the way through a corner.

Fast and loud, yeah fine, but what I don't get is what's so fascinating about going from stop to full throttle in a straight line for a handful of seconds.  Just my opinion, for people who are into drag racing that's OK, I just don't see the point.  (I'm a rally car racing fan by the way).
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I still don't get it.  Yeah it's loud, and it's probably powerful, but he didn't even take off fast.  He just floored it, spun the tires losing all traction, and started moving forward at about the speed of a Prius.  Is it cool just because it's loud as hell and can barely idle?

I'd like to see how the car can handle at 150mph, how well it can brake and steer, and how it can negotiate all the way through a corner.

Fast and loud, yeah fine, but what I don't get is what's so fascinating about going from stop to full throttle in a straight line for a handful of seconds.  Just my opinion, for people who are into drag racing that's OK, I just don't see the point.  (I'm a rally car racing fan by the way).
View Quote
Buddy of mine has spent 2 years rebuilding his bracket racing car into an 8.xx 155+mph heads up car.

He just came from a race last weekend where his 1/8 mile time was like 5.8 seconds at 125mph...

Faster 0-100 time than a lot of fairly fast cars do 0-60.

Said he hits 3g's at launch acording to his telemetry unit.

I get that it is his thing.   It isnt my thing, I like corner carving.   But the few times I have taken my car to the 1/4 mile track for a baseline to see if mods made any improvements...   there have been various nostalgia drag cars and local hot street cars out there.

Standing 15 feet from a car that is uncorking 1500+hp is impressive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
stand alone ecus are at least 2 generations behind.  The stock GM ecms are fucking awesome.  With the E67 out of the C6ZR1 I can control a boosted engine beyond what any obtainable aftermarket ecm will be able to do.  If one can use an E92 ecm out of the C7... good god you are so well off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indeed... 

To abstract it a step farther, guys are doing 90's rice rocket stuff to LS motors and making 2k hp. *

*that is hyperbole, modern stand alone engine management is amazeballs. 
stand alone ecus are at least 2 generations behind.  The stock GM ecms are fucking awesome.  With the E67 out of the C6ZR1 I can control a boosted engine beyond what any obtainable aftermarket ecm will be able to do.  If one can use an E92 ecm out of the C7... good god you are so well off.
This...

Not sure if their ECU has been cracked yet, but my old 1990 factory ECU while a laughable joke compared to modern units. I can control and adjust anything I want as well as lots of new features have been added though software like anti-lag, stutter box, nitrous controls, no lift to shift etc. etc. If a good solid option exsists to use a factory ECU, it's the way to go IMO. vs something like AMS's bull shit where they intentionally make it hard to learn so you take your vehicle to one of their certified monkeys. More serious options like MoTec are probably on the heals of the new factory ECU's in cars like Camaro's vetts and yes Mustangs, that new 5.0 is pretty mean and has a good ECU.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've eaten many delicious WaWa hoagies at that very location while hammered drunk many times.

Sometimes I miss Ocean City, MD... until I go back and remember it sucks because I'm not 23.
View Quote
For 20 years straight, I drove " almost
" to OC, made a right onto 611, to hunt sika deer on Assateague Island every October.

No reason to cross the bridge into OC.

Did hit it for the cars a few times. Usually drove the chase truck/ fetch whoever broke this year trailer combo.

Last straw:
Guy I was there with, at his aunt's place, had the garden hose out, wetting down the road for burnouts.
Had a pretty good crowd after a bit.

Dodge dually spooled up and got them smoking!
A freaking BICYCLE cop wrote him up.

Buddy passed his hat and collected 2X the ticket amount, so told Dodge boy the light em up again, we had him covered.

Bike cop not amused.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Big HP....period.........nothing will wet a girls panties faster then big HP....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m this day and age you can buy a car that runs 12s without spilling your latte. Why would you want to pour money into a pit like that thing?
Big HP....period.........nothing will wet a girls panties faster then big HP....
False.

Big Bank Account
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An old car with no hood, badly in need of a tuneup.
View Quote
Would you like a prune with that glass of warm milk.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Agreed!

What year Supra?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GT cars> Musclecars. 
Agreed!

What year Supra?
1988, NA auto I picked up super cheap for a daily to drive 10 miles to school and up to take care of my grandfolks. Great highway cruiser, and if driven aggressively* corners pretty well too. 

*Enter corners hot, stay light on the brakes, and use understeer to scrub speed off, it's as sketchy as it sounds but won races in the Australian race series, it also surprises the FUCK out of tailgaters who think they'll be able to keep up. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m this day and age you can buy a car that runs 12s without spilling your latte. Why would you want to pour money into a pit like that thing?
View Quote
Because boomers believe less mpg means more powa, not to mention they handle like a dingy in 3' seas.  Muh muscle cars!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because boomers believe less mpg means more powa, not to mention they handle like a dingy in 3' seas.  Muh muscle cars!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't measure fun with mpg.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guessed you missed the 2nd video showing the whole incident.

The guy ripped it down the street prior to pulling into the Wawa...  
View Quote
And then there was this video
Mean,wicked loud very Something You Don't See Much ever Ocean City Oct 2016 Maryland
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pool
Maybe when his testicles descend he' ll appreciate visceral horsepower.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's not a real car, the Demon is a real car.
View Quote
You better get back to Snatch Island before they realize your gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Comparing a limited product (50 some units) race car to a off the shelf today’s Camaros and Mustangs?

A Malibu is not a real car....shitbox with a ton of money under the hood.

If I had to make a list of a 1000 “real” cars a Malibu wouldn’t make it.  
View Quote
But back in the day, magazines like Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding were recommending the Malibu as the modern replacement for the mid-1960 Chevy II in the drag race world.  And it looks like this car may have been a drag car at one time that has been moved to being a street car after a 20 to 30 year career as a race car.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lols at sheltered D.C. Suburbanite milquetoasts coming into contact with
vintage car culture. It seems some feels were jostled.

I stood near this as a child while it was being tuned in a suburban L.A.
shop's lot. The concussion would affect your heart efficiency. I was nine and would
back away occasionally to catch my breath after standing within twenty feet of the rear.

View Quote
WOW!  Not just a long nose Mustang, but one of the early, prehistoric funny cars!  I had to look and see the driver and roll cage sticking out of the back window.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not a real car, the Demon is a real car.
Indeed.  My 81 disagrees also.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because they're cool and evoke classic Americana.

Trying to assign practicality to something like muscle cars is idiotic. They exist purely to entertain enthusiasts. I don't personally care whatsoever for new cars because they're not interesting to me, but I like old style hot rods.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
lol
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Still waiting to see pictures of that "real car".

All I see is a worthless noise maker driven by some guy that seems like a douche.

Reminds me of that biker episode of South Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlA0_Hv3CQ
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually its in a pretty good state of tune, its a blown alcohol engine and what you are claiming is bad tune is actually blower surge due to high compression and large duration roller cam....That ones not as bad as a few I have been around...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually its in a pretty good state of tune, its a blown alcohol engine and what you are claiming is bad tune is actually blower surge due to high compression and large duration roller cam....That ones not as bad as a few I have been around...
THIS, that thing is NASTY......
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quite telling that the cops descend on the car like flies to shit.

"Sir, your car is too loud to be in a classic car run and you'll need to park it until you can get a trailer to get it off the streets."

I remember when you could find a steady stream of cars like that circling any Dairy Queen in America on any given Saturday night. 
View Quote
Yep. That was a high school boy's after school hobby. Times have definitely changed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#22]
My 79 Malibu only ran 10.17 in the quarter.. on motor
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because they're cool and evoke classic Americana.

Trying to assign practicality to something like muscle cars is idiotic. They exist purely to entertain enthusiasts. I don't personally care whatsoever for new cars because they're not interesting to me, but I like old style hot rods.
View Quote
The GT40 is a classic.

That thing is just a shitbox with money poured into it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Sleepers, too.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

WOW!  Not just a long nose Mustang, but one of the early, prehistoric funny cars!  I had to look and see the driver and roll cage sticking out of the back window.
View Quote
With out google searching...

Guessing that thing has two V8's powering it...

Count the exhaust tubes coming out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#26]
That's sick.  Whats something like that cost?  And what's it run in the quarter?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are absolutely wrong!

It's just an inverse relationship to mpg!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
V12 Allison the only way  towards 3000HP in 1969

Exhibition class car full quarter mile burnouts 155 mph trap speed was all it could muster

Model maker tribute
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#29]
This vid (posted earlier) brought tears of joy to my eyes.....

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nitro motors dont surge because they run so rich..blower surge is caused by the motor going rich/lean at idle, it is compounded by a long duration cam.....Oddly enough while it sounds cool, most serious tuners try to avoid blower surge because its hard on shit, especially the blower belt and the rotors in the blower...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cam lope, bro. That car is running a full race camshaft. It's perfectly tuned or it wouldn't even stay running with a cam like that. 
Full race cam makes it surge like that is BS. If that was the case why do top fuel dragster not idle like that, I imagine they are running full race cams also.
Nitro motors dont surge because they run so rich..blower surge is caused by the motor going rich/lean at idle, it is compounded by a long duration cam.....Oddly enough while it sounds cool, most serious tuners try to avoid blower surge because its hard on shit, especially the blower belt and the rotors in the blower...
The only thing causing the surge in that car is how it is timed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I was there. Like, literally in the crowd there in the video.  That car is insanely clean.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Still waiting to see pictures of that "real car".

All I see is a worthless noise maker driven by some guy that seems like a douche.

Reminds me of that biker episode of South Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlA0_Hv3CQ
View Quote
Ahh a millennial has arrived.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#33]
2010 Shelby GT500 at Beech Bend Dragway GT500/Terminator Shootout
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#34]
This is my car.   Notice the supercharger whine and idle surge!!!  Unfortunately it hasn't been down the track since then because my gun funds are superseding the car funds :(
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The GT40 is a classic.

That thing is just a shitbox with money poured into it.
View Quote
Lulz, okay. You're one of those types, huh?

Glad I never felt the need to choose a side like a kid on a playground. I mean, I don't have much interest in Japanese cars, but I can appreciate one with a lot of well done work on it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My 79 Malibu only ran 10.17 in the quarter.. on motor
View Quote
My brutha.        Need some pics...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cam lope, bro. That car is running a full race camshaft. It's perfectly tuned or it wouldn't even stay running with a cam like that. 
View Quote
It's not "cam lope" , it's called "idle hunt".
Caused when the cam has so much overlap the engine is fluctuating between a lean and rich condition at idle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#38]
At 0.02 in the second Vid the girl says "I've never heard a car sound like that"  =  Millennial.

Poor kids these days never heard of what a hot rod sounds like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Now these on the other hand are some sweet cars.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, where's the "real car".

I see a clapped out chassis/vehicle with a engine from yesteryear.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I can appreciate sharing obsolete tech with younger generations. Heck, just a few days ago we got a kick out of two ten year olds playing with an old rotary phone we have here.

But, I never tried to imply that was a “real” phone and using it provided some unquantifiable superior pleasure.

Then again, I’m not a “driver,” or so I hear repeatedly. I guess I’m not a “telephonist,” either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Uh, no.  That's a 3/4 race cam.   Full race cams require own headers or the back pressure will blow back though the carb!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, no.  That's a 3/4 race cam.   Full race cams require own headers or the back pressure will blow back though the carb!
I am just going to say I love reading car threads on the internet.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh, no.  That's a 3/4 race cam.   Full race cams require open headers or the back pressure will blow back though the carb!
Original content is becoming increasingly harder to make up
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They were dirt cheap all the way into the early 90s, if memory serves.

A neighbor of mine was selling his 1968 Roadrunner (383) circa 1994. It was unrestored, and the paint was faded and oxidized. Still, it was rust free, the body had no dings, and it was in great mechanical shape. Interior was worn, but serviceable - no tears or holes. It was his daily driver. He was asking $4,200. As a teenager, he might as well have been asking $100k, for all the hope I had of buying that making $4.25/hr part time. 

By the time I had a real job, career, house, etc 5 or 6 years later, they became unobtanium. They fetch exotic car money now, if restored. It’s depressing.
View Quote
Sigh yep 
The amount of really nice shit I remember being for sale for 3-5k in that era was depressing to think about .

I too was making $5 an hour back then .
Even a rusty as fuck 307 powered Chevelle for $1000 was out of the question back then .
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
At 0.02 in the second Vid the girl says "I've never heard a car sound like that"  =  Millennial.

Poor kids these days never heard of what a hot rod sounds like.
View Quote
Kids these days are too busy going fast to worry about how antique cars sound.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I guess most people never go to the drag strip. Where you get to see a whole line of cars with twice as much power as that poser mobile. And you get to see them wrung out in the full 1/4 mile not to mention head to head competition to see whose car is fastest.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If performance is your goal, you shouldn't start with antique cars. Modern cars have better metallurgy, better suspension, better powertrains, and better everything in general.

Antique cars are for enjoying for the experience. The '50s and '60s are the golden age of automotive Americana. That Malibu comes from the dark ages of the Malaise Days.

Also, I'd contend there's more fun to be had cruising around with a straight six and a three on the tree than there is trying to street a car that can barely idle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A fourth gen Malibu? Gross.

I'd rather have that orange pickup (Studebaker?), the first gen Camaro, or the Nova also seen in these videos.
You mean a 3400# car vs the heavy as fuck A bodies.  Give me the g body any day.  You start with a four link suspension in those cars, they are a very solid platform.
If performance is your goal, you shouldn't start with antique cars. Modern cars have better metallurgy, better suspension, better powertrains, and better everything in general.

Antique cars are for enjoying for the experience. The '50s and '60s are the golden age of automotive Americana. That Malibu comes from the dark ages of the Malaise Days.

Also, I'd contend there's more fun to be had cruising around with a straight six and a three on the tree than there is trying to street a car that can barely idle.
You're wrong and you don't even know why.  There are no reasonably priced new cars that are rear wheel drive.  The new Camaro and Challenger are pigs and cost more than that guy has in his car.  You are proposing buying a 40k car to cut up and spend another 20k on to match this car.  Here is another point you miss, this car is not about handling.  The guy that built this doesn't give two shits that your Miata will out corner it. 

The G body is that last vestige of affordable rwd gm performance.  They weren't even moderately powered but their engine bays can hold any powerplant and are fairly light weight for a full framed car.

As far as your last point go, that's an opinion so it's neither right or wrong.  I do agree with the ones saying it's a sausage magnet though.  Girls don't give a fuck about that shit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lulz, okay. You're one of those types, huh?

Glad I never felt the need to choose a side like a kid on a playground. I mean, I don't have much interest in Japanese cars, but I can appreciate one with a lot of well done work on it.
View Quote
What side do you presume I’m on?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuKBTwAe3BY

Now these on the other hand are some sweet cars.
View Quote
I guess the killing business is good these days. What a clean ride.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top