Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
A 4 cylinder way out of tune and with a exhaust leak too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Though tbf, the woman in the car looks hot. But mostly looks like an old cock magnet.
View Quote
I only know one rich guy who is into cars.  He's had a Lamborghini, Ferrari and now a Corvette.  He said his cars never attracted chics, just a bunch of dudes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1988 high school parking lot- just a few...

1967 Chevelle SS with built 396. This car would do 1/8 mile mile burnouts on MT fat tires
1973 Nova with a blown 454. did wheelies
1972 Chevy 3/4 ton with Corvette 427 (a guys dad's truck)
1969 Chevelle 307 that was actually the fastest car in town the 427 truck owners son)
68 Camaro with a 327 that I went over 150 in
a plethora of 65 chevy pickups
View Quote
That sounds a lot like my high school lot back in '79
One guy even had a Superbird.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Uh, no.  That's a 3/4 race cam.   Full race cams require own headers or the back pressure will blow back though the carb!
View Quote
This is how we know you’re talking out your ass or you’re super old. Nobody says 3/4 race cam. That doesn’t mean anything.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It saddens me that post modern bitch males can't understand the joy of building cool things.

Or, it pisses them off that they have to spend 70k to get into a 10-11 second car while other guys can throw 10k at some old junker and acheive the same result.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Blower surge...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
That is the only alky prostreet I like. I saw it in person at Cruisin OC. The videos do no do it justice versus standing near it. Or within 50 yards of it leaving. The owner is a awesome guy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is how we know you’re talking out your ass or you’re super old. Nobody says 3/4 race cam. That doesn’t mean anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, no.  That's a 3/4 race cam.   Full race cams require own headers or the back pressure will blow back though the carb!
Neither does the "full race" cam that I was making fun of!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This one needs a tune.

https://youtu.be/W1vBp4g2zqE
View Quote
For those that "don't get it", forward to 0:40 in that video.
See everyone turn their head and cover their ears? That's because it goes from kinda loud to having a JDAM land in your lap loud instantly. It's also about the closest thing to a Shuttle launch or getting sling shotted off a carrier deck that mortals get to experience.

No way would I spend my money on one of those things, but I understand why people do.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2)  Really, is everyone's lives so dull that they have to record every little thing they see?  Nobody can just enjoy the moment anymore?
View Quote
Guy might try a burn out and run everyone over.  If it doesn't happen, whatever, electrons are free you can delete the boring video.  
But if it does happen, there's video, so it happened
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm aware--I was part of that scene.

Blown street cars were rare as fuck, and always caused a scene when they showed up to cruise...But alcohol?  Never saw one.  Some Hilborn alcohol injection, once in a great while...but I never saw anything like this.
But this was in NorCal (Sacramento...Sunrise, for those that know the area and might remember the day ).  Back when Tower of Records/Posters was still a thing, and you give jugs to the A&W girl to fill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is really something that is part of today's culture, and high-dollar thug racing scene made popular on TV.
Back in the 80s and 90s when cruising was still a thing, seeing cars like this on the street on weekends wasn't really out of the ordinary.

Many nights I've watched cops sit right by the burnout pit and only get involved when someone started getting squirrely.  And then it was usually just to tell them to keep control of their shit or go home.

I'm aware--I was part of that scene.

Blown street cars were rare as fuck, and always caused a scene when they showed up to cruise...But alcohol?  Never saw one.  Some Hilborn alcohol injection, once in a great while...but I never saw anything like this.
But this was in NorCal (Sacramento...Sunrise, for those that know the area and might remember the day ).  Back when Tower of Records/Posters was still a thing, and you give jugs to the A&W girl to fill.
70s and Sunrise... Good times indeed...Tognotti's was the stop...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I only know one rich guy who is into cars.  He's had a Lamborghini, Ferrari and now a Corvette.  He said his cars never attracted chics, just a bunch of dudes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Though tbf, the woman in the car looks hot. But mostly looks like an old cock magnet.
The psychology and lack of self awareness is amazing though. You’ll see a huge group of guys all gawking over it, all telling each other how cool the car is and what a chick magnet it must be. And, all without the slightest sense of irony.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#13]
He's got a headlight out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]
That wasn't a real car.
Just some modified hot rod with drag wheels.

It should be titled "When millennials see a modified hot rod with drag wheels..."
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The psychology and lack of self awareness is amazing though. You’ll see a huge group of guys all gawking over it, all telling each other how cool the car is and what a chick magnet it must be. And, all without the slightest sense of irony.
View Quote
Nailed it. I have far more dudes pull in to jerkoff over old cars than women here at the shop.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The psychology I find most palpable in this thread is that each group (chicks dig fast cars or muscle cars/fast cars or muscle cars are a sausagefest) are both exercising their own form of confirmation bias.

Like two ships passing in the night, neither group realizes that the other is right, in a sense.  There are many places in this country where chicks still dig a badass muscle car.  Conversely, there are many places in this nation where they just don't care.  I've seen both, and get a good laugh out of both groups.

The good ole boys who genuinely know girls who sploosh over their 9 second Nova.

The types who insist that such tomfoolery would never happen and hint around the edges at latent homosexuality, who genuinely knows girls who couldn't care less about the noisy car.  

It's sad.  That lack of self-awareness, and absolute certainty that they are right, and it's a blanket statement across the whole nation.

My personal experience - I'm 36 years old and grew up in BFE Ohio.  Growing up, my wife (same high school) drove a 1984 Monte Carlo with a built 350.  She still talks about that car.  My sister's ideal car was a 1972 Nova, opalescent blue, small block w/blower.  Guys would drive the muscle car to school, and a crowd would be around it.  Girls posing in the seats, etc.  My wife loved to ride in my 73 Camaro.  Hell, she loves my 1986 K-10, her favorite truck we own (likes to drive it better than her 09 Suburban).  My mom still talks about hanging out at the local Cassano's pizza and watching the hot rods cruise the parking lot.  Can still name specific cars.  

I also know (from college) several women from areas like Cleveland, Columbus, the east coast, etc. that didn't have that experience growing up and hated those cars.  Too loud, would rather have a nice quiet 4 banger.  Several of the girls I went to high school with moved off to those areas as well, and now have the same attitude.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Girls don't care about your car, they care about your net worth, and income level in hopes that you can provide them with a better lifestyle they just see the car as a possible sign that a guy has means.
View Quote
Basically this. A guy in a 89 Ford LTD is going to have a harder time picking up women vs a guy in a new BMW 7 series. A guy in a new BMW 7 series is going to have equal luck picking up women as a guy in a new BMW 7 series M. Women don't care about your car, they just use it to gauge if you're a loser or not before giving you the time of day. The car in the OP is a dick magnet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Awesome engine, but can't buy a $10 headlight to replace the one that died?

WTF is with the Ocean City LEOs telling pedestrians to 'get off the sidewalk'?  I thought that is who sidewalks were there for.
View Quote
They suspected the yellow Mustang at the light was going to get involved with crowd control.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Loud pipes
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m this day and age you can buy a car that runs 12s without spilling your latte. Why would you want to pour money into a pit like that thing?
View Quote
If you really have to ask then it would be a waste of time explaining it to you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1988 high school parking lot- just a few...

1967 Chevelle SS with built 396. This car would do 1/8 mile mile burnouts on MT fat tires
1973 Nova with a blown 454. did wheelies
1972 Chevy 3/4 ton with Corvette 427 (a guys dad's truck)
1969 Chevelle 307 that was actually the fastest car in town the 427 truck owners son)
68 Camaro with a 327 that I went over 150 in
a plethora of 65 chevy pickups
That sounds like my high school in 84-88 too. I myself had a 66 Mustang with a 289, cam, dual exhaust. Lots of camaros, built up trucks, Chevelles, Novas, Mustangs. One guy drove his dad's T-bucket on Friday's.

The smoke from the burnouts out of the parking lot after school was epic. Sheriffs would wait and pull one over for exhibition of acceleration and then the next 10 guys out of the lot would smoke him out as he was writing a ticket to the one unlucky guy.

No question I definitely got a lot of attention from girls I had no right too all because of the car I had.
Times are definitely different now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#24]
While it is a cool car, it is no more of a "real car" than my alcohol fed and blown daily driver.

That one just has more money thrown at it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The psychology I find most palpable in this thread is that each group (chicks dig fast cars or muscle cars/fast cars or muscle cars are a sausagefest) are both exercising their own form of confirmation bias.

Like two ships passing in the night, neither group realizes that the other is right, in a sense.  There are many places in this country where chicks still dig a badass muscle car.  Conversely, there are many places in this nation where they just don't care.  I've seen both, and get a good laugh out of both groups.

The good ole boys who genuinely know girls who sploosh over their 9 second Nova.

The types who insist that such tomfoolery would never happen and hint around the edges at latent homosexuality, who genuinely knows girls who couldn't care less about the noisy car.  

It's sad.  That lack of self-awareness, and absolute certainty that they are right, and it's a blanket statement across the whole nation.

My personal experience - I'm 36 years old and grew up in BFE Ohio.  Growing up, my wife (same high school) drove a 1984 Monte Carlo with a built 350.  She still talks about that car.  My sister's ideal car was a 1972 Nova, opalescent blue, small block w/blower.  Guys would drive the muscle car to school, and a crowd would be around it.  Girls posing in the seats, etc.  My wife loved to ride in my 73 Camaro.  Hell, she loves my 1986 K-10, her favorite truck we own (likes to drive it better than her 09 Suburban).  My mom still talks about hanging out at the local Cassano's pizza and watching the hot rods cruise the parking lot.  Can still name specific cars.  

I also know (from college) several women from areas like Cleveland, Columbus, the east coast, etc. that didn't have that experience growing up and hated those cars.  Too loud, would rather have a nice quiet 4 banger.  Several of the girls I went to high school with moved off to those areas as well, and now have the same attitude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a third group that doesn't give a shit about any of that, and just wants to build and drive cars they enjoy.

Oh the horror and triggered feels.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is a third group that doesn't give a shit about any of that, and just wants to build and drive cars they enjoy.

View Quote
Yeah, but those dudes mostly ignore these threads.  90% of the replies here are "Muh badass car has snail trails all over it!"  with a response of "Nah, those are mushroom stamps, homo".

I just like building my cars and bikes.  I stick with the older tech because I find the mechanical stuff interesting (it's what I grew up with) and the electrical tuning just doesn't appeal to me.  I don't care if I can get extra hp out of a FI setup.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude needs to bring that to Crusin' The Coast down here in Mississippi. The only cops fucking with him would be the ones trying to take pictures next to it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, but those dudes mostly ignore these threads.  90% of the replies here are "Muh badass car has snail trails all over it!"  with a response of "Nah, those are mushroom stamps, homo".

I just like building my cars and bikes.  I stick with the older tech because I find the mechanical stuff interesting (it's what I grew up with) and the electrical tuning just doesn't appeal to me.  I don't care if I can get extra hp out of a FI setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can certainly respect that. I enjoy adding new technology to older vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing and federal design mandates.
They're like a blank slate to do as you please.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can certainly respect that. I enjoy adding new technology to older vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing and federal design mandates.
View Quote
I'm not that much of a fudd.  I love adding new suspension and updated mechanical tech and electrical things like fuel pumps (no thank you busted diaphragm, I don't like fuel in my oil ) to old cars.  I'm lucky enough to live in a place where there is no emissions testing or roadworthiness testing at all.  

No inspections here in this part of OH.  Pay the registration fee of about $50 annually and down the road you go.  That's it.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#30]
As cool as the old muscle cars are, I like cars that I can whip across the country at high speeds while my back is getting massaged and cool air blowing across my balls.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't see any Millennials in that crowd.
View Quote
Because they are back checking out the Priuses...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As cool as the old muscle cars are, I like cars that I can whip across the country at high speeds while my back is getting massaged and cool air blowing across my balls.
View Quote
I get 1/2 of those on my Supra. 

Air duct under the steering wheel for ice cold AC on balls goodness. 

GT cars> Musclecars. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

See everyone turn their head and cover their ears? That's because it goes from kinda loud to having a JDAM land in your lap loud instantly. It's also about the closest thing to a Shuttle launch or getting sling shotted off a carrier deck that mortals get to experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1vBp4g2zqE

No way would I spend my money on one of those things, but I understand why people do.
View Quote
This one sounds way better than the one OP posted.

Cool car nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm not that much of a fudd.  I love adding new suspension and updated mechanical tech to old cars.  I'm lucky enough to live in a place where there is no emissions testing or roadworthiness testing at all.  

No inspections here in this part of OH.  Pay the registration fee of about $50 annually and down the road you go.  That's it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not that much of a fudd.  I love adding new suspension and updated mechanical tech to old cars.  I'm lucky enough to live in a place where there is no emissions testing or roadworthiness testing at all.  

That's awesome.

Anything 25 years or older is exempt here. I feel bad for gearheads in places like CA that have to deal with restrictions no matter what.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's awesome.

Anything 25 years or older is exempt here. I feel bad for gearheads in places like CA that have to deal with restrictions no matter what.
View Quote
It is nice.  We did have E-check in a few counties in the late 90's and early 2000's, but that went away.  And it was never in my county.  

My buddy who lives in WV always bitches and frets about his annual inspection on his lifted truck.  Glad I don't have to deal with that.  CA makes me sad - the birthplace of hot rod culture being strangled by regulation.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks pretty fucking gay tbh.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I've eaten many delicious WaWa hoagies at that very location while hammered drunk many times.

Sometimes I miss Ocean City, MD... until I go back and remember it sucks because I'm not 23.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1vBp4g2zqE

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m 27 and have zero desire to wrench on crap.  Ain’t nobody got time fo dat.  Not that I can’t or don’t do it every once in a while, I just hate that shit

That car is cool though!
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Malibu Sets The Bar Pretty High Cruisin OCMD 2017
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’m this day and age you can buy a car that runs 12s without spilling your latte. Why would you want to pour money into a pit like that thing?
View Quote
Are you and Londo sharing a room right now?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
CCCCCombo....... Anyways, he probably has fixed cam timing. Ignition may be fixed or CDI. You can tune an engine to run smooth or you can tune it for a fuck ton of power and torque with the setup he has. He has it tuned for a fuck ton of power and torque. It won't run smooth at idle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only it were possible to vary the timing the timing of an engine while it's running. Such technology would be amazing...
CCCCCombo....... Anyways, he probably has fixed cam timing. Ignition may be fixed or CDI. You can tune an engine to run smooth or you can tune it for a fuck ton of power and torque with the setup he has. He has it tuned for a fuck ton of power and torque. It won't run smooth at idle.
It was 1:30 AM. What do you want?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You mean a 3400# car vs the heavy as fuck A bodies.  Give me the g body any day.  You start with a four link suspension in those cars, they are a very solid platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A fourth gen Malibu? Gross.

I'd rather have that orange pickup (Studebaker?), the first gen Camaro, or the Nova also seen in these videos.
You mean a 3400# car vs the heavy as fuck A bodies.  Give me the g body any day.  You start with a four link suspension in those cars, they are a very solid platform.
If performance is your goal, you shouldn't start with antique cars. Modern cars have better metallurgy, better suspension, better powertrains, and better everything in general.

Antique cars are for enjoying for the experience. The '50s and '60s are the golden age of automotive Americana. That Malibu comes from the dark ages of the Malaise Days.

Also, I'd contend there's more fun to be had cruising around with a straight six and a three on the tree than there is trying to street a car that can barely idle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cam lope, bro. That car is running a full race camshaft. It's perfectly tuned or it wouldn't even stay running with a cam like that. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An old car with no hood, badly in need of a tuneup.
Cam lope, bro. That car is running a full race camshaft. It's perfectly tuned or it wouldn't even stay running with a cam like that. 
Full race cam makes it surge like that is BS. If that was the case why do top fuel dragster not idle like that, I imagine they are running full race cams also.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Funny you say it like that......I used to own a "crackling" '71 340 Dodge Demon......and every woman who rode in it bitched about how loud it was, and wondered why they smelled gas all the time.....Always drew a crowd of dudes at the drive-up shows though....

Bought an Alpina B7 BMW (E24) a few years later.....My favorite car ever.....women loved it......guys walked past it like it was a Chevy Lumina......never knowing it would blow the doors off the Dodge even with the AC running.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Should have seen it in the 70's when muscle cars were a dime a dozen.
View Quote
My mother taped Seinfeld over a VHS tape I made of cruising around.

I do have a few pics of my rides in the mid-eighties.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's awesome.

View Quote
There is a 95 Cobra sitting in my garage that manages to just barely pass smog.   The cam/headers/exhaust manages to get praise just about everywhere it goes.    Hoping for a ful head/intake swap at rebuild and then it will have a bit more bite.

I do have to be a little careful down around Long Beach, Redondo, Santa Monica if I drive one of my louder cars down there.   While the Ferarri/Lambo crowd doesnt get tickets for their stock loud as fuck exhausts they love to ticket the cheaper cars that obviously run aftermarket exhaust.    My 2005 with H-pipe and straight through Borlas is pretty obnoxious on cold morning starts.

Plenty of cars in my area run with offroad pipes.    Plenty of people buy new cars and throw long tubes on them with a tune and run for the 5 year grace period with no smog is required on vehicles running twin turbos and the like.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I remember when the older American cars were the kings of going fast (in a straight line) and at least they could brag about that vs. modern cars that were better at absolutely everything else. Now we have modern cars that are fast as fuck in a straight line as well as being vastly superior in every other objective measure and the guys who cling to these outdated cars are reduced to talking about "sound" and "feels." It's pathetic and it reminds me of when shitty ricers would brag about HP/liter because they didn't have anything worthwhile to brag about.
View Quote
I love classic cars. They're beautiful, the differences in features, styling, manufacturing, and engineering are interesting. It's cool playing with stuff like vent windows and floor mounted dimmer switches. I firmly believe that the subjective experience a vehicle offers far outweighs the objective, quantifiable performance and specifications. I would rather drive a slow car that's a blast to play with then a rocket you have to be overly careful with. I plan to own a couple classic cars at some point in my life, and if I ever got stupid rich somehow, I would probably go full Jay Leno.

But legit performance? New is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Full race cam makes it surge like that is BS. If that was the case why do top fuel dragster not idle like that, I imagine they are running full race cams also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An old car with no hood, badly in need of a tuneup.
Nitro motors dont surge because they run so rich..blower surge is caused by the motor going rich/lean at idle, it is compounded by a long duration cam.....Oddly enough while it sounds cool, most serious tuners try to avoid blower surge because its hard on shit, especially the blower belt and the rotors in the blower...
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top