Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2001 6:02:22 PM EDT
I just picked up 2 new rifles today,  One is a 16" Olympic AR and the other is a "MAC-90". I am not sure of the "pre-ban / post-ban" status of the AK-47...The markings on the gun are as follows:  

All on LH side of receiver

"386" (with a circle around)

"93140##"(I assume this is a serial#)

"MAK-90"

"SPORTER" (Etched in by hand)

"CAL 7.62x39

"K S I  POMONA CA." (Etched in by hand)

"MADE IN CHINA" (Etched in by hand)

Also, on bottom of receiver:

"NORINCO"

"MADE IN CHINA"

This gun appears to be of very high quality...very nice "machined" parts.
Nothing looks cheap, all parts look like "forgings" NOT "castings"

Also has a "Milled" receiver...Definately NOT a stamped unit...

Any AK Experts here ???  

I paid $ 450.00 for the AK & $ 575.00 for the AR.... How'd I do ?

Both guns are NEW and Unfired.

The AK came in a box with all kinds of goodies (cleaning rod, brush kit, sling, etc...)

The Oympic is nothing special...just another for my collection...  

I figured I'd ask for help here first...... before traveling to the "OTHER" side........[:)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two Mak 90s, they are great rifles.  Preban/postban don't make much difference as most mak90s are postban, plus BATF said you can't modify them anyhow, sec922r.  There are some kits made so you can put a pistol grip on if you add enough american parts but not sure how this is with the BATF as they mention the mak90 by name in the regs?????  Check over on ak47.net as they probably have more info.

I have never seen a milled mak90 but my stamped ones are great.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
All MAKs are postban configuration with the butthole stock unless someone changed the amount of foreign parts count to put a regular stock on it, but then, your trigger would probably really suck from the american parts.
Price is about average on this AK as new they go for about $600 for milled receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
all MAK-90s, NHM-90s, and NHM-91s are all post-"import"-ban of 1989.  They can NOT have pistol grips, bayo-lugs and flash suppressors.

Also, it doesnt matter if you bought it before the federal AW ban of 1994.

Finally, adding U.S. parts NOW will not make them legal with a pistol grip and bayo-lug cuz they were not in that configuration before the 1994 ban.

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the MAK-90 having a milled receiver ???

Does this mean anything ???
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What about the MAK-90 having a milled receiver ???

Does this mean anything ???
View Quote

Yup,
It means you got better made rifle than the stamped MAK-90.
I have a Milled Mak-90 also that I bought NEW in 1992 for $269. I have put about 7 to 8 thousand rounds through it with no problems....They are going for $450-$650 these days. I could have got another stamped one for $350 but I bought the LEGP instead...
BTW- When the Norinco Mak-90's first hit the market they were about 70% stamped and 30% milled. So if you have a milled one you are better off in the long run.They are just a little bit heavier though...

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top