BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a bet!  

(If/when I lose, please do not let me forget.  I have a terrible memory, and don't want to appear to be a welcher in case I forget!  Hopefully this thread will still be running, and we'll all be driving Saudi electric cars .)
View Quote
You should probably keep those handy, Tesla removed all mention of the $35k option from marketing materials and the website a couple weeks ago.

I just placed an order for a Model 3 LR last week as a company car. I was expecting late October delivery at the earliest but when the Tesla sales guy contacted me by email he said I could expect by the end of this month . Will be crazy if not a mistake.

For the record, it's an LR Premium with self driving and autopilot enabled.

ETA: I meant the other guy, since obviously Tesla will never sell a $35k Model 3.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's a bet!  

(If/when I lose, please do not let me forget.  I have a terrible memory, and don't want to appear to be a welcher in case I forget!  Hopefully this thread will still be running, and we'll all be driving Saudi electric cars .)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t want to be t something that requires an FFL, since that’s a hassle.

But I’d be willing to bet 10 pmags that Tesla will NEVER sell a Model 3 with an MSRP of $35k.

(If Tesla decide to manufacture a handful as a publicity stunt, exclusively for a few people on the wait list that got screwed, it wouldn’t surprise me ... what I am referring to is an actual Model 3 than anyone can order and buy).
10 Pmags is fine.

Terms: Within 2 years of today's date Tesla has produced no less than 10,000 Model 3 SRs with their target price of $35,000 (Without EV credits included to arrive at base $35k figure).
It's a bet!  

How are you going to verify their production on specific trim levels?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Who in their right mind would buy a car from company that has a astronomical amount of debt subsidized by a country that is 22trillion in Debt
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who in their right mind would buy a car from company that has a astronomical amount of debt subsidized by a country that is 22trillion in Debt
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$1.8b bond issue last year.  $160m deposits for Roadster 2 and Semi in November.  Securitizing leases in Jan/Feb to free up short term spending room.  Stretching out accounts payable more every quarter.  Delaying capital expense payments by moving the goal posts on Model 3 production.

It's a combination of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and juggling an ever greater number of liabilities while trying to transfer balances between credit cards.

It works well enough until it suddenly doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do they continue to operate with those losses?  I'm ignorant of how such things work.  Where are they getting the cash to keep the lights on?
$1.8b bond issue last year.  $160m deposits for Roadster 2 and Semi in November.  Securitizing leases in Jan/Feb to free up short term spending room.  Stretching out accounts payable more every quarter.  Delaying capital expense payments by moving the goal posts on Model 3 production.

It's a combination of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and juggling an ever greater number of liabilities while trying to transfer balances between credit cards.

Jeff Skilling and Andrew Fastow approve.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
VIN production database. The Tesla subreddit & Bloomberg are tracking individual variety production numbers, so that data is quite easy to find.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
VIN production database. The Tesla subreddit & Bloomberg are tracking individual variety production numbers, so that data is quite easy to find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Enlighten us - how would an Arfcomer obtain that VIN production database?  And then identify those 10,000 Model 3 VINs?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Elon Musk will make Bernie Madoff, Bernie Ebbers, and the Enron executives look like choir boys when this is finally over.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Musk knew that "funding secured" was a meaningless phrase.  Just like his statements that he is "considering" a possible plan to go private.

He's probably throwing this privatization plan out as chaff, in an attempt to divert attention from Tesla's production and financial problems.  And it seems to be working very well.  
View Quote
That wasn't a meaningless phrase, and it's hardly a meaningless tweet if it moves the stock value by billions of dollars within an hour. He needs to start being accountable for this crap.

ETA: Also, how is it supposed to work when he expects the majority of shareholders, who are probably not accredited investors, to go private when there is a 2,000 shareholder limit on private companies? I assume some kind of syndicate or fund but at that point you're just losing your liquidity and control.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If stockholders didn't revolt when he bought Solar-whatever, they are basically his bitches at this point.
View Quote
Sometimes I wonder if those "shareholder meetings" are more like a P.A.G.A.N. event from Dragnet, complete with goat pants.  "We'll deliver, ummmm, 1 billion cars in 3rd quarter! Now dance around that sacrifice!!!"
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That wasn't a meaningless phrase, and it's hardly a meaningless tweet if it moves the stock value by billions of dollars within an hour. He needs to start being accountable for this crap.

ETA: Also, how is it supposed to work when he expects the majority of shareholders, who are probably not accredited investors, to go private when there is a 2,000 shareholder limit on private companies? I assume some kind of syndicate or fund but at that point you're just losing your liquidity and control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Musk knew that "funding secured" was a meaningless phrase.  Just like his statements that he is "considering" a possible plan to go private.

He's probably throwing this privatization plan out as chaff, in an attempt to divert attention from Tesla's production and financial problems.  And it seems to be working very well.  

What exactly do the words "funding secured" mean to you?

Musk said Tesla was "considering" something and had "secured funding" to do it.  People that bought/sold based on those words were stupid.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL.  There are stories on Instagram and Twitter about Musk (with his girlfriend Grimes) dropping acid and tweeting.  
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6056729/Azealia-Banks-waited-days-Elon-Musks-house-Grimes.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if it already been said but the Saudi Gov't just invested a little over $3 billion into Tesla the other day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL.  There are stories on Instagram and Twitter about Musk (with his girlfriend Grimes) dropping acid and tweeting.  
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6056729/Azealia-Banks-waited-days-Elon-Musks-house-Grimes.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All come from a rapper named Azealia Banks.  Who Musk has denied every meeting.

She apparently tweeted this too:

“Elon Musk is really part of the problem...when you talk about white male privilege and colonialism,” it begins. “The last time I try working with a white bitch,”  link
so...
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just placed an order for a Model 3 LR last week as a company car.
View Quote
Prayers sent.  

https://jalopnik.com/bumper-falls-off-brand-new-tesla-model-3-after-30-minut-1828306917

$50,000 car.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Elon Musk is really part of the problem...when you talk about white male privilege and colonialism," it begins. "The last time I try working with a white bitch,"  link
so...
Musk didn't deny everything -- Musk denied meeting Banks.  Banks didn't say she met Musk in that story.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Ah crap, I'm doomed. It's a two hour drive back from the delivery center. I have already been looking at lists of things to check before taking delivery and from what other people are finding I wonder if I might find better fit and finish on an old Kia Optima...

Maybe I will just hitch a trailer to my 4Runner and haul it back that way just to be safe
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm kinda surprised he doesn't get arrested for securities fraud.That's just stock manipulation
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised he doesn't get arrested for securities fraud.That's just stock manipulation
View Quote
Musk has a very childish and irrational hatred towards short sellers. He can’t seem to stand that anyone would bet against him. He tried to fuck them, just like he is always trying to fuck them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:11:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Musk now says he’s hired Goldman Sachs for investment banking to take private.  Also says working with Silver Lake Partners which is a big wig hedge fund.

Silver lake partners says they have no intension in investing in Tesla LOL
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
link

Could be closed is not closed, it's not the same as funding secured.

To me this sounds like cya for what at best could be characterized as an irresponsible tweet, and at worst, an attempt at market manipulation and fraud.  I think he just did a Trump.  He fired off a tweet without thinking about the consequences.

I like Elon Musk, but he really isn't geared for running a publicly traded company.  He doesn't like it, and he's not good at it.

It looks like the Saudi sovereign fund has a current value around $600 billion dollars.  Assuming Tesla could do the deal for $71 billion, as has been reported, that investment would represent a significant percentage of the Saudi's total investment portfolio.  A professional portfolio manager might even think that kind of concentration an unacceptable risk.  Especially for a company that has not yet produced a profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was the Saudis all along...
"Going back almost two years, the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund has approached me multiple times about taking Tesla private," Musk said in a blog post published Monday. "Recently, after the Saudi fund bought almost 5 percent of Tesla stock through the public markets, they reached out to ask for another meeting. That meeting took place on July 31st. ... I left the July 31st meeting with no question that a deal with the Saudi sovereign fund could be closed."
link

Could be closed is not closed, it's not the same as funding secured.

To me this sounds like cya for what at best could be characterized as an irresponsible tweet, and at worst, an attempt at market manipulation and fraud.  I think he just did a Trump.  He fired off a tweet without thinking about the consequences.

I like Elon Musk, but he really isn't geared for running a publicly traded company.  He doesn't like it, and he's not good at it.

It looks like the Saudi sovereign fund has a current value around $600 billion dollars.  Assuming Tesla could do the deal for $71 billion, as has been reported, that investment would represent a significant percentage of the Saudi's total investment portfolio.  A professional portfolio manager might even think that kind of concentration an unacceptable risk.  Especially for a company that has not yet produced a profit.
It would go down in history as one of the stupidest investments, ever.

If they really want the company, they could just sit back and wait until the stock tanks to $20
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I admire him. He’s a visionary of sorts, and intelligent. In this thread we see all the “important” people who have jobs at circle k, blue collar types, office space guys, etc project hate onto someone who’s actually wealthier, smarter and actually trying to help humanity.

Heh, people. Funny shit.

Better to have tried and failed, then to have never tried. I have to wonder though, what kind of monkeys does he have working on the automation?!
It’s incredibly binary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop worrying everyone!

Soon, you'll be able to put down a deposit for a ticket to Mars, or maybe a condo on the moon or something!
Stop mocking my Musk!  

Literally Everything that man has done, has been geared toward getting us off this rock.
I admire him. He’s a visionary of sorts, and intelligent. In this thread we see all the “important” people who have jobs at circle k, blue collar types, office space guys, etc project hate onto someone who’s actually wealthier, smarter and actually trying to help humanity.

Heh, people. Funny shit.

Better to have tried and failed, then to have never tried. I have to wonder though, what kind of monkeys does he have working on the automation?!
It’s incredibly binary.
I totally agree with your statement in red IF it's on his dime or his investor's dime.

But when it's on the US taxpayer's dime, "Better to have tried and failed, then to have never tried." doesn't cut it. Not at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
True EVs with acceptable range or more lame hybrids?

The thing about Tesla is they are the first and only ones who built electric vehicles I would consider owning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ditched my TSLA stock in August the same time I added to a small short position.
08/01/17 Bought To Open   5 TSLA Jan 18 '19 $50 Put (TSLA)

07/06/17 Bought To Open   2 TSLA Jan 18 '19 $50 Put (TSLA)

I'm thinking of adding to it shortly before 4Q earnings.  Right now my money is focused elsewhere on winners: APPL, NVDIA, BABA

It's still too dangerous to go all in on TSLA.

By late 2019, the company may not even exist - too many negative catalysts as major car manufacturers ramp up electrics.
- competition increasing across all major car manufacturers
- technology (perceived) advantage eroding
- flat lined X and S production (OK they're up 5% this quarter - whoopee)
- Model 3 problems
- severe cash burn
- losing money on each and every car manufactured - will only worsen with Model 3 ramp up
- Rising interest rates will impact TSLA next time they seek financing next round

GM should have their September Bolt sales figures out in a few days.

Higher spells more trouble for TSLA, as the Bolt is actually available and closer to a favorable mass production price point.

GM is prepped and ready for expanded EV use in China, and is introducing additional EVs.
GM is upping the ante for sure.
20 new EV's coming up in the next 5 years.

Trucks included, as well as SUV's.
True EVs with acceptable range or more lame hybrids?

The thing about Tesla is they are the first and only ones who built electric vehicles I would consider owning.
Really? I have just the opposite feelings. I'd rather have a Nissan, Toyota, Ford or Chevy EV than a Tesla. Once the big guys get it right, Tesla will never be able to compete with them on price and quality.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Tesla filed a 8K today, announcing they had formed a "going private" committee.  

"The special committee has not yet received a formal proposal from Mr. Musk regarding any Going Private Transaction nor has it reached any conclusion as to the advisability or feasibility of such a transaction."

https://fintel.io/doc/sec/1318605/000156459018021585/tsla-8k_20180814.htm
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You should probably keep those handy, Tesla removed all mention of the $35k option from marketing materials and the website a couple weeks ago.

I just placed an order for a Model 3 LR last week as a company car. I was expecting late October delivery at the earliest but when the Tesla sales guy contacted me by email he said I could expect by the end of this month . Will be crazy if not a mistake.

For the record, it's an LR Premium with self driving and autopilot enabled.

ETA: I meant the other guy, since obviously Tesla will never sell a $35k Model 3.
View Quote
Apparently you can move way up in line if you order a model with lots of options. Meaning I could put an order in today with all the options and have a car months before someone who ordered a base, $50k version two years ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Apparently you can move way up in line if you order a model with lots of options. Meaning I could put an order in today with all the options and have a car months before someone who ordered a base, $50k version two years ago.
View Quote

That might be it. I ticked every box for the LR RWD model, wheels, interior, autopilot, even a $2k add on for white paint . My Tesla "Delivery Specialist" is taking his sweet time to respond to my emails so still no delivery date confirmation yet.

I believe that they threw a bunch of these higher optioned cars together recently during the surge so I am setting my quality expectations pretty low for when I pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That might be it. I ticked every box for the LR RWD model, wheels, interior, autopilot, even a $2k add on for white paint . My Tesla "Delivery Specialist" is taking his sweet time to respond to my emails so still no delivery date confirmation yet.

I believe that they threw a bunch of these higher optioned cars together recently during the surge so I am setting my quality expectations pretty low for when I pick it up.
View Quote
We know Tesla at one time was building common configurations of M3 and matching to customer orders later. Nothing wrong with that during a production ramp and a huge order book. Some are saying they took it too far and have parking lots full of unsold cars. Truth is probably in the middle but I would be interested in seeing your VIN serial number.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What exactly do the words "funding secured" mean to you?

Musk said Tesla was "considering" something and had "secured funding" to do it.  People that bought/sold based on those words were stupid.  
View Quote
We know at this point that there is no definition of "funding secured" that could reasonably apply to the facts as of the time of that tweet. The fact that he named a buyout price and said he had funding secured added a lot more to just "considering taking Tesla private".

I've never owned or shorted Tesla stock, but I watch it closely for the sheer entertainment value. F-Elon Musk is the evil supervillain of this generation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Apparently model 3s rear bumpers are falling off, so crude, yet people keep buying them
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Apparently model 3s rear bumpers are falling off, so crude, yet people keep buying them
View Quote
Only when it rains(seriously). Should have stuck to sunny California.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many bumpers have fallen off?  Just the one?

To be fair every car make and model has it's share of lemons.  No manufacturer is 100% perfect, except maybe the high end low production brands.

...and even then, things like this happen.

Brand new Ford GT catches fire in germany
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Exactly, except with Tesla every little thing becomes worthy of a news article or blog post.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do they continue to operate with those losses?  I'm ignorant of how such things work.  Where are they getting the cash to keep the lights on?

Sounds like a gigantic house of cards.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I find it hilarious that whenever Tesla is criticized for their quality issues the shills dig out the worst example they can find of a major.  The Ford Focus is basically abandoned, nobody at Ford cares about it.  There are fewer than 5000 Ford GTs built since 2004.  These should not be compared with an attempt at a mass market car Tesla bet the entire company on.  These aren't cherry picked stories either, the Model X is the very worst car in the US for reliability.  There are tons of stories of Model 3s being delivered with obvious build issues.  Warranty numbers are broken out in 10-Q filings, Tesla spends much more per car than the majors.  They're among the most expensive vehicles to insure because they cost so much to repair out of warranty.  All of this is fine as long as you admit what you have.  Ferrari's have similar problems but nobody buys them for the daily milk run.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I find it hilarious that whenever Tesla is criticized for their quality issues the shills dig out the worst example they can find of a major.  The Ford Focus is basically abandoned, nobody at Ford cares about it.  There are fewer than 5000 Ford GTs built since 2004.  These should not be compared with an attempt at a mass market car Tesla bet the entire company on.  These aren't cherry picked stories either, the Model X is the very worst car in the US for reliability.  There are tons of stories of Model 3s being delivered with obvious build issues.  Warranty numbers are broken out in 10-Q filings, Tesla spends much more per car than the majors.  They're among the most expensive vehicles to insure because they cost so much to repair out of warranty.  All of this is fine as long as you admit what you have.  Ferrari's have similar problems but nobody buys them for the daily milk run.
View Quote
Shills?

Edmunds Tesla Model 3 review and ratings.

USNEWS Tesla Model 3 rating

Car and Driver Tesla Model 3

Scratch that, Consumer Reports now recommends the Tesla Model 3

Top Gear Tesla Model 3 review
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Exactly, except with Tesla every little thing becomes worthy of a news article or blog post.
View Quote
That’s just Musk trying to sabotage the company...
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not only car quality issues, it's also customer support issues.  There are many stories of owners waiting months for basic repair parts.

Previously, Musk used to blame these negative stories on the oil and gas industry.  
Nowadays, since Musk is trying to sell the company to the oil and gas industry, he's blaming negative stories on short sellers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That’s just Musk trying to sabotage the company...
View Quote
He really needs to get the hell off of Twitter. The board needs to surround him and give him his "come to Jesus" moment and take his phone away. I wonder if he will have learned his lesson by the time the SEC gets through with him.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Rumblings of the board wanting the SEC to investigate the "I have funding" statement since apparently they aren't aware of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He really needs to get the hell off of Twitter. The board needs to surround him and give him his "come to Jesus" moment and take his phone away. I wonder if he will have learned his lesson by the time the SEC gets through with him.
View Quote
He owns 20% of the company and has filled the board with family and yes-men.  There will be no come to Jesus moment for him from the board.  The board at best can only do exactly what it is doing now: cya, and distance itself from the "funding secured" statement.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Fox is reporting that the SEC has subpoenaed Tesla for documents regarding their privatization plans.  
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5822465445001/?#sp=show-clips
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fox is reporting that the SEC has subpoenaed Tesla for documents regarding their privatization plans.  
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5822465445001/?#sp=show-clips
View Quote
I really think he's going to get slapped for his tweets.  Like I've said all along, I think Musk is a little like Trump when it comes to twitter.  He sends out whatever is on his mind, and he tweets angry.  This is going to cost him.  "....funding secured".

It's obvious now, the funding is not secured.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Tesla stockholders are like the old ladies that own cats.  They love them so much, they no longer notice the stink.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#48]
When will it end.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I hope it never does
View Quote
I hope it doesn't end either.  Although, I think for different reasons.

I'd like Tesla to succeed. I want all EV's to succeed.

The U.S. produces around 10 million barrels of oil per day.  Which is wonderful.  The problem is we consume over 19 million barrels per day.  Roughly 13 million barrels per day are burned in our cars and trucks.

That's what we need to eliminate not for the enviornment, but because it's in our national economic interest to do so.

That's why I want Tesla to succeed.  Because if they pull it off, it'll push other manufactures to try harder, and follow faster.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top