BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 108
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So once again does anyone want to suggest a reasonable time to travel to flagstaff ax from western nc?

And would anyone like to make a wager I can drive the distance in a reasonable in my tesla?

Money where your mouth is kind of thing
View Quote
What does Tesla's ability to put out a few decent cars at a huge $loss have to do with the fact that Musk is fos on production claims?  The marketing and deception is as legendary as the delays.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is very basic stuff.  Tesla can't get the Model 3 cars out the door. 
Thousands of workers, still getting paid, while the cars aren't being sold. 
View Quote
But Musk now says annual demand for the Model 3 is 700,000 cars/year!  That's $35 billion/year!  It's going to be yuge...
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So once again does anyone want to suggest a reasonable time to travel to flagstaff ax from western nc?

And would anyone like to make a wager I can drive the distance in a reasonable in my tesla?

Money where your mouth is kind of thing
View Quote
Let me guess, your cherry picked route has lots of Tesla chargers on it.
How about a trip to Alaska?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey, I think we're missing some people.....

@Shockergd
@SkiandShoot
@Tesla1
@Neotopiaman
@Kharn

hohohohoho!
View Quote
Oh hell yeah they missed the quarter estimate. That was unrealistic. Back in March when they were setting the July 1 release date he stated "it's unrealistic and unreasonable for us to hit that date but we've got to start somewhere to push our team." That's the same thing with 1500 by Q3. So what they are short.

They'll also miss the estimate for year end too. Does he really care about wallstreet or the investors at that level? He only cares about keeping his close investors happy.

What's amazing is there are still 500,000 people who have committed to purchasing the cars.

The laughable part is posters saying "fraud" like he's taken peoples money and not delivering anything. That's hardly the case as he is rocking the establishment.

Posters saying fraud refuse to look up "fisker" "fisker part 2" and "farraday". those are the real frauds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh hell yeah they missed the quarter estimate. That was unrealistic. Back in March when they were setting the July 1 release date he stated "it's unrealistic and unreasonable for us to hit that date but we've got to start somewhere to push our team." That's the same thing with 1500 by Q3. So what they are short.

They'll also miss the estimate for year end too. Does he really care about wallstreet or the investors at that level? He only cares about keeping his close investors happy.

What's amazing is there are still 500,000 people who have committed to purchasing the cars.

The laughable part is posters saying "fraud" like he's taken peoples money and not delivering anything. That's hardly the case as he is rocking the establishment.

Posters saying fraud refuse to look up "fisker" "fisker part 2" and "farraday". those are the real frauds.
View Quote
Pointing out other cases of fraud doesn't absolve this case of deception.  Taking people's money while promising a $35k car that now costs $49k and will be a year late is considered fraud in any other case.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has PeanutBoy dropped in yet to make up some excuse again?
View Quote
In on page 1 thank you very much.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pointing out other cases of fraud doesn't absolve this case of deception.  Taking people's money while promising a $35k car that now costs $49k and will be a year late is considered fraud in any other case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source for those prices? Or are you just making stuff up?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
After initially trying to hide the number of Model 3 net pre-orders and cancellations during the 2q17 conference call and subsequently being called out on it loud enough that he finally told the truth, should we expect Musk to be forthcoming with the real number of gross and net pre-orders this time?

When the Model 3 finally enters actual production, and real customers can go onto the vehicle configurator, build a car, enter their CC number, and commit to the real purchase, I think you're going to see that 480k pre-order number absolutely crater.

People thought they were pre-ordering a smaller Model S with a glass roof and all the modern luxury and technology Musk was dazzling them with, all for $35k.  That car doesn't exist, and the closest Model 3 to it costs $54k, and $55k if they want a color other than black.  The glass roof is totally gone.

You can start subtracting luxury and technology options from there until you finally land at the lowest price of $44k for cloth seats, manual mirrors, manual seats, no Autopilot, black paint.  It's still a far cry from what was promised, and even further from what that money buys you elsewhere in the car market.

The estimated conversion rate of Model X pre-orders into actual sales was calculated to be around 30%, and that only involved incredible delays and poor build quality, not the monumental levels of bait and switch that's been done with Model 3 pricing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Honest question...you're saying the 'starting at 35k before incentives' number on Tesla's website is wrong, and should be 10k higher?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Tesla has many problems, but the biggest one is that they no longer have a unique product.

GM is already producing the Bolt which arguably as good or better then the Model 3 and they are available on the lot right now.

The Bolt gets up to 250 miles on a charge and has all the technology and creature comforts anyone could want in a car.

You have morons waiting to fork over 35-45k for a car that does not exist, then wait years for it.. when you could just go to a chevy dealer tomorrow and pick up a comparable car that comes from a proven auto maker. The Bolt is not selling as well as they thought, and this again proves Tesla is not long for this world.

The people buying Teslas are a small portion of the population, the same people that go and stand in line when the new iPhone comes out. Although there is demand for an electric car, I don't think there is demand for enough of them to turn Tesla into a profitable company.

If GM can deliver the Bolt, and the other cars on their roadmap, Tesla will just end up being a "cool" car to have for the tech savvy people who want to post on Facebook they bought a Tesla.

I give Tesla two years to Four years before investors and stock holders loose patience, and it's sold to GM or some other company for pennies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, "short" is 1300 of a 1500 target.  260 of a 1500 target is a complete failure.  What it means is that the production line isn't working at all under automation and they are still hand building cars.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I’m actually heading from flagstaff to LA and then back to Vegas then back home
Most of it is a work trip
I didn’t pick it.
Of course there are a few places Tesla’s wouldn’t be practical. There are plenty of roads that a sedan won’t go but there will always be sedans.
Fact is I could choose any number of routes

There have been many many posts here about how Tesla’s are only good for city commuting
I believe I can prove that inaccurate

The fact is that the supercharger network is expanding rapidly. It will be better next year than right now.

Are there some limitations today? Of course
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tesla has many problems, but the biggest one is that they no longer have a unique product.

GM is already producing the Bolt which arguably as good or better then the Model 3 and they are available on the lot right now.

The Bolt gets up to 250 miles on a charge and has all the technology and creature comforts anyone could want in a car.

You have morons waiting to fork over 35-45k for a car that does not exist, then wait years for it.. when you could just go to a chevy dealer tomorrow and pick up a comparable car that comes from a proven auto maker. The Bolt is not selling as well as they thought, and this again proves Tesla is not long for this world.

The people buying Teslas are a small portion of the population, the same people that go and stand in line when the new iPhone comes out. Although there is demand for an electric car, I don't think there is demand for enough of them to turn Tesla into a profitable company.

If GM can deliver the Bolt, and the other cars on their roadmap, Tesla will just end up being a "cool" car to have for the tech savvy people who want to post on Facebook they bought a Tesla.

I give Tesla two years to Four years before investors and stock holders loose patience, and it's sold to GM or some other company for pennies.
View Quote
Cheap gas and incentives on big vehicles makes vehicles like Tesla and the Chevy Bolt less desirable. If the price of fuel jumps back up their demand will increase again. But yes when I saw the Chevy Bolt at the NAIAS press preview last year I knew it was only a matter of time for Tesla. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cheap gas and incentives on big vehicles makes vehicles like Tesla and the Chevy Bolt less desirable. If the price of fuel jumps back up their demand will increase again. But yes when I saw the Chevy Bolt at the NAIAS press preview last year I knew it was only a matter of time for Tesla. 
View Quote
Flat out wrong. The worldwide electric car manufacturing train has left the station.

If you spend twenty minutes and google all the car manufacturers moving to electric vehicles starting around 2019, you'll see that nearly EVERY car maker will be on there. They are only going to ramp up electric and phase out ICE. The move to electric cars is happening regardless of oil/gasoline price.

Buying a combustion engine in 2025 will be a VERY low percentage of sales.

Still I am trying to figure out the old school hard-ons you guys have for elon musk. Does he threaten your existence? Are you a kool-aid drinker of your brand so hard you can't see change IS coming? What's that saying, evolve or die?

Is this the real problem that you realize some companies are bigger then your childhood fantasy car makers?

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Nobody cares when gangs kill each other, just as long they do not kill judges and law enforcement. Chicago
has a rich history of gangland violence, why make it a big deal because they are brown? when white males kill
each other in gangland violence you glorify it and make blockbuster movies about it. Carry on
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Honest question...you're saying the 'starting at 35k before incentives' number on Tesla's website is wrong, and should be 10k higher?
View Quote
$35k is the base model with a standard battery.  So far it's not available for anyone.
$44k is the cost for the base model with the extended range battery.  All cars produced so far have this $9k "option."

That battery upgrade is an incredibly high margin option; it doesn't cost Tesla anywhere near $9k to add that extra battery capacity, so they make a lot of profit from that option, to help them not lose as much money on the car overall.

Remember, this is a company that still loses $13k-$15k on every Model S and X it sells (I showed my work for that calculation in a previous thread, explained, and cited; no one challenged it, and I'm far from the only person claiming a loss per car in that neighborhood).

The Model 3 is a cheaper car, in a mass market category where margins are lower and competition is even more fierce.  Ask yourself, "if Tesla loses money on every high margin luxury car it sells, how can it hope to make money on cheap low margin consumer cars?"

The point is, if Tesla sells a Model 3 with the standard range battery at a starting price of $35k, the losses on that car are going to be incredible!  They need that high margin extended range battery option in order to have a hope of even approaching profitability on the Model 3.

How many standard range Model 3s will they sell?  Certainly some, if for no other reason than to just say they sold a $35k Model 3.  Maybe they'll take orders for them in the initial launch and ramp, just to help fill out the factory capacity, and then do what they did with the 60kwh Model S: discontiue it claiming lack of demand, even though the real reason was the massive loss per vehicle because of the tiny battery.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#17]
You have to wonder what shape all those Tesla owners will be in when the company's inevitable failure occurs. Warranties? Repairs? Replacement batteries? Supercharger stations?

It's actually kind of sad, considering these things aren't cheap, and owners will basically be hung out to dry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Only 73 cars per month for the third quarter?

Musk has run out of chances to kick the can down the road.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#19]
More of your tax dollar$ at work down the toilet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 Toyota and GM will just steal the tech and make it better.

Maybe Fiat will buy the name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tesla could have been a very successful boutique car maker. Instead Musk's big head will burn it to the ground. With the way he's leveraged his stock expect to him lose control and be broken up/sold within a few years. Any bets on if Fiat, Toyota, or GM will be the main buyer?
 Toyota and GM will just steal the tech and make it better.

Maybe Fiat will buy the name.
 There is a possible bull strategy in owning Tesla on the bet that it will be bought out by another car company.

However, with Mercedes coming out saying they'll compete with Tesla, we can infer they looked at the financial position of the company and have little or no faith in it.  They have enough $ to buy it.  

A lot of times it's what isn't said that's important.

ETA:  Oh yea.  When is Musk saying Tesla will start turning a profit???  Any eta on that?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong on many levels. Why does Heinz ketchup exist when you can buy Great Value at 1/3 the price?

The people buying Tesla vehicles are not the people waiting in line for a new iPhone. At least  not all of them. A friend is a very frugal guy. He just upgraded to a 4 year old Samsung phone. He put a reservation in for a Model 3 right after they were revealed. Still planning on buying it.

He also rarely posts on facebook.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My company is about to close a contract with tesla, and I keep recommending against it. I don't want us to be tied to this place when it goes full tits up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My company is about to close a contract with tesla, and I keep recommending against it. I don't want us to be tied to this place when it goes full tits up.
View Quote
 Nah, get it while it's good.  Just don't pull a Mattel or Hasbro with Toys R Us and let them pay y'all back later.  

Pay on or before delivery.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 Nah, get it while it's good.  Just don't pull a Mattel or Hasbro with Toys R Us and let them pay y'all back later.  

View Quote
Our product is software as a service and professional service time. We need them to be productive and solvent for a few years to really make it worth our time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
$35k is the base model with a standard battery.  So far it's not available for anyone.
$44k is the cost for the base model with the extended range battery.  All cars produced so far have this $9k "option."

That battery upgrade is an incredibly high margin option; it doesn't cost Tesla anywhere near $9k to add that extra battery capacity, so they make a lot of profit from that option, to help them not lose as much money on the car overall.

Remember, this is a company that still loses $13k-$15k on every Model S and X it sells (I showed my work for that calculation in a previous thread, explained, and cited; no one challenged it, and I'm far from the only person claiming a loss per car in that neighborhood).

The Model 3 is a cheaper car, in a mass market category where margins are lower and competition is even more fierce.  Ask yourself, "if Tesla loses money on every high margin luxury car it sells, how can it hope to make money on cheap low margin consumer cars?"

The point is, if Tesla sells a Model 3 with the standard range battery at a starting price of $35k, the losses on that car are going to be incredible!  They need that high margin extended range battery option in order to have a hope of even approaching profitability on the Model 3.

How many standard range Model 3s will they sell?  Certainly some, if for no other reason than to just say they sold a $35k Model 3.  Maybe they'll take orders for them in the initial launch and ramp, just to help fill out the factory capacity, and then do what they did with the 60kwh Model S: discontiue it claiming lack of demand, even though the real reason was the massive loss per vehicle because of the tiny battery.  
View Quote
Thanks, I appreciate facts and logic over most of the nonsense in these threads, like the person who said Musk promised a 35k car but is going to deliver something else. As of now that's completely false.

As for the giant loss on each S and X, do you factor in the billions spent on fixed costs like the Gigafactory? I'd be interested to examine your analysis. There are a ton of Tesla threads so it may be tough to find.

I also wonder if Musk is trying to time production with the phase out of tax credits. You know, slow production then flood the market with cars right as the incentives get reduced and ultimately go away.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Websites are posting screen shots of Tesla's delivery estimates.   https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-model-3-delivery-timeline/
Only the $49k cars are going to be delivered soon.  The $35k cars are supposed to start shipping early next year.
It's still to be seen how many people will take delivery of a Tesla without enhanced autopilot ($5k), interior upgrade/heated seats ($5k), and extended range ($9k).  Musk himself has said the average sale price will be anywhere from $42-50k, with the average being $45k when full production starts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Websites are posting screen shots of Tesla's delivery estimates.   https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-model-3-delivery-timeline/
Only the $49k cars are going to be delivered soon.  The $35k cars are supposed to start shipping early next year.
It's still to be seen how many people will take delivery of a Tesla without enhanced autopilot ($5k), interior upgrade/heated seats ($5k), and extended range ($9k).  Musk himself has said the average sale price will be anywhere from $42-50k, with the average being $45k when full production starts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So nothing has changed...people are still waiting for their basic 35k car unless they decide to spend more for upgrades. Sounds like what was stated on day 1.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You have to wonder what shape all those Tesla owners will be in when the company's inevitable failure occurs. Warranties? Repairs? Replacement batteries? Supercharger stations?

It's actually kind of sad, considering these things aren't cheap, and owners will basically be hung out to dry.
View Quote
In Chapter 11 someone will buy the IP and the rights to produce spare parts.  There will be some market.  There will be at least 300k Teslas on the road before they go bankrupt, with lots of life left in them.  And there will be money to be made supplying parts for them.  I think the owners will be fine.

At this point the Tesla brand name has enough value that a real car company will probably buy it in bankruptcy and turn it into a low volume ultra luxury botique BEV brand.  In that scenario, they may see value in continuing to provide those spare parts themselves.  Either way I wouldn't worry about current car owners.

Also, the supercharger network has some real value, as a for pay charging network.  As a free network the way it's operated by Tesla it's just another boat anchor around their balance sheet, but in bankruptcy it will have some real suitors vying for it. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 There is a possible bull strategy in owning Tesla on the bet that it will be bought out by another car company.

However, with Mercedes coming out saying they'll compete with Tesla, we can infer they looked at the financial position of the company and have little or no faith in it.  They have enough $ to buy it.  

ETA:  Oh yea.  When is Musk saying Tesla will start turning a profit???  Any eta on that?
View Quote
No one is buying Tesla until bankruptcy wipes away the $23b and growing debt.

Musk used to say not to expect a profit before 2020.  He no longer makes any statements about the prospects of future profits or even positive free cash flows.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Flat out wrong. The worldwide electric car manufacturing train has left the station.

If you spend twenty minutes and google all the car manufacturers moving to electric vehicles starting around 2019, you'll see that nearly EVERY car maker will be on there. They are only going to ramp up electric and phase out ICE. The move to electric cars is happening regardless of oil/gasoline price.

Buying a combustion engine in 2025 will be a VERY low percentage of sales.

Still I am trying to figure out the old school hard-ons you guys have for elon musk. Does he threaten your existence? Are you a kool-aid drinker of your brand so hard you can't see change IS coming? What's that saying, evolve or die?

Is this the real problem that you realize some companies are bigger then your childhood fantasy car makers?

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2017/4/10/791977-14918488076662445.png
View Quote
This post is so delusional it's funny. Ironic you're saying we drink the koolaid. There is absolutely no chance the ICE becomes marginal by 2025. Not going to happen, stop spouting that non-sense. If oil skyrockets you might see a majority of hybrids. Pure electric commuters are still a toy for the wealthy or econuts.

What you will see is large equipment hybrids. Tractors, busses, mining equipment, construction, etc. That's already commercially available and selling great. And yes, I personally have been involved with that manufacturing, I have a very good idea what I'm talking about.

Tesla market cap means absolutely nothing. It's a measure of what investors think the company is worth, and in this case has very little relation to their core business. Expect that to crash hard within a few years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Our product is software as a service and professional service time. We need them to be productive and solvent for a few years to really make it worth our time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooooo that's a tricky one given a years-long breakeven point.  Tesla is best viewed through the lens of a Ponzi Scheme.  More money goes in than is returned.  New money needs to come from a greater fool.  There's no way to know when we hit the last fool and find the first wise man who says "no more."

Hopefully your decision makers are planning the operation from a worst-case scenario.

Sorry man
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So nothing has changed...people are still waiting for their basic 35k car unless they decide to spend more for upgrades. Sounds like what was stated on day 1.
View Quote
Sounds like a reasonable statement.  I hope they do sell 700,000/year, the economic boost will be tremendous.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Musk used to say not to expect a profit before 2020.  He no longer makes any statements about the prospects of future profits or even positive free cash flows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may well be Mercedes' thinking.  Start competing now, and why not since they actually know how to run a car company profitably, then buy tech from Tesla if it goes bankrupt.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I believe they'll eventually be able to ramp up production.  I remain skeptical that they'll be able to maintain a good level of ownership satisfaction (warranty service, out of warranty parts/service, and collision repairs) once they get the volume up, and to make matters worse... it's likely quality will suffer if they really push to get that volume ramped up to meet expectations.

People fucking hate having trouble with new cars, but it's workable if the dealer/manufacturer takes care of them.  People won't put up with a car they can't use for weeks or months on end because it can't get fixed.  I still believe that is what is going to get them.  The infrastructure isn't there.

Maybe they'll add it, but I'm not seeing much change or planning for that in front of selling these 300,000 cars a year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sounds like a reasonable statement.  I hope they do sell 700,000/year, the economic boost will be tremendous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it would be. But I was calling out your base price claim, not output figures.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No
I’m specifically replying to the post that said that the range was too short to sell them without tax credits.

My wager is for all the posts I’ve read in hear that says they are fine for commuting but not really for road tripping.

One of the biggest anti tesla statements I read is the inconvenience and lack of range

So anyone want to make a wager?
View Quote
Why don't you reply to that post, if it exists. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
But Musk now says annual demand for the Model 3 is 700,000 cars/year!  That's $35 billion/year!  It's going to be yuge...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Demand is 700,000 cars/year, supply is 70 cars per month.  At those rates, it's gonna take Tesla a while to catch up. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Demand is 700,000 cars/year, supply is 70 cars per month.  At those rates, it's gonna take Tesla a while to catch up. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A while to catch up, and another factory.  Tesla's Fremont factory, when it was previously run by GM and Toyota, peaked at 428k cars/year.  Tesla has shown that it is wildly inefficient in its running of that factory compared to the previous owners.  They're not going to be building 700k cars/year there.

They can build another factory, maybe move S and X production there, along with Semi production.  It should only cost $4B - $6B and 3 - 5 years.  With no positive free cash flows, that money will come entirely from new debt, or maybe more dillutive stock issues.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Yet somehow, the stock is being propped up today....
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, and in 1999-2000, I actually helped prop up several tech company stocks ... and lost about $300k in the process.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why don't you reply to that post, if it exists. 
View Quote
Because I post however I want

And I actually did just didn’t quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wild isn't it?!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people consider Tesla a "growth" company, even though they produced fewer cars last quarter. 
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, and in 1999-2000, I actually helped prop up several tech company stocks ... and lost about $300k in the process.
View Quote
Quite unfortunate. That's my worry with Tesla and why I have cut the number of shares I buy by about 80%. I have been predicting that they will succeed but I'm not going to bet my entire retirement account on it. I learned a while ago about the pains of holding a stock that goes bankrupt.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They must be having trouble finding people how know what goes into building production lines
View Quote
Funny you should say that.  From my perspective with the automotive manufacturing consultants I know, it appears that Detroit companies are employing them just to keep them away from Telsa.

Not that it would make a big difference for Telsa.  Probably more like a minor one.

As long as state and federal goverments regulate automotive sales and driving of vehicles that rigs the market for electric cars, Telsa will be ok.  Like CA planning to outlaw combustion engines in the future.  

This shows how stupid CA politicians are since combustion engines are a large source of power generation. Even in CA.  So they will have to dance big carve outs for any legislation that outlaws combustion engines.  But in their view, that is a good thing.  Carve outs mean campaign contributions by lobbyists and the industries they represent.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Elon Musk is a con man.

Fuck him and his lool aid drinking minions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out
The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period.  Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.
View Quote
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

Might be the tin foil speaking but I wouldn't be surprised if this played a role in Tesla's "troubles". Trying to flood as many cars into the market so that Tesla can maximize the number of people who receive the 50% credit. They're about at this point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
lol - CNN business has a story about Tesla missing the target.  There's a picture of the monorail guy from the Simpsons, and the caption is "Elon Musk: Dreamer or Monorail salesman?"
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like they're having a harder time building these Model 3s than Apple is building iPhone X's.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top