Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2017 1:54:50 PM EDT
Does anyone remember this? My S/O was telling me about the case last night and it's funny that a state representative accused local law enforcement of being involved with her disappearance and/or covering it up.

At about 4:00 am on June 27, 1995, KIMT producer Amy Kuns noted that Huisentruit had failed to report to work as scheduled, so she called Huisentruit's apartment. Huisentruit answered the telephone, explained that she had overslept, and said she was preparing to leave for the station. By 6:00 am, however, she had still not arrived, and Kuns filled in for her on the morning show Daybreak. At about 7:00 am, KIMT staff called the Mason City police.

When police arrived at Huisentruit's apartment they found her red Mazda Miata in the parking lot, as well as evidence suggesting there had been a struggle near that car. Among other evidence, Huisentruit's personal items, including her keys, were found strewn about the area and police reported recovering an unidentified palm print from her car.
View Quote
The ensuing investigation revealed at least three neighbors in her apartment complex who said they heard screams at about the time Huisentruit would have likely been leaving for work. In addition, a neighbor who lived nearby reported seeing a white van with its running lights on parked in Huisentruit's parking lot at about the same time. This van was never positively identified.

In early June 2008, photocopies of the 84 pages of Huisentruit's personal journal were anonymously mailed to a local newspaper. The Mason City Globe Gazette received the material in a large envelope with no return address and a June 4 postmark from Waterloo, Iowa. The original journal has been in the possession of law enforcement since the investigation of Huisentruit's disappearance began. Within days, Mason City Police reported that the sender had come forward and then identified her as the wife of the former Mason City Police Chief. Although noting that the former chief had taken a copy of the journal home when he left office, the police gave no motive for his wife sending the copy to the newspaper.

Link

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, this is in my area.  Used to watch her on the early morning news all the time.   Pretty weird case...it gets brought up on the news every once in a while when somebody supposedly has new information about it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Are two Hispanic females the suspects?

On a serious note, it sounds like a real abduction and probable murder. I know that local news women get stalkers pretty frequently.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a crime show about her that I catch from time to time on the ID channel.

She's just one of many that never get solved.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I remember as I lived up there at the time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm local...heard cop involvement, stalker, drugs.  Remember seeing her at local pub from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
There was a male "friend" of Jodi's who was a suspect due to his wanting more of relationship with her than she did.  She water skied and hung out with him occasionally I think I read.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I got bored and looked at similar cases on Wikipedia. It's especially weird, because she didn't have easily apparent emotional or drug problems like many of the cases.

See the disappearance of Maura Murray or the way creepier (to me at least) of Brianna Maitland.

Car left abandoned and crashed in the side of a boarded up house.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a male "friend" of Jodi's who was a suspect due to his wanting more of relationship with her than she did.  She water skied and hung out with him occasionally I think I read.
View Quote
I feel like that's got to account for so many missing women. Lots of sickos out there, sadly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of like the disappearance of a twenty three year old SC woman in 1992.  Dail Dinwiddie went to a U2 concert then to a local bar and that's the last anyone saw or heard from her.  Basically no clues or traces despite massive police efforts to find her.  It's been in the news lately since it was the 25th anniversary of her disappearance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
What's in her journal pages?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Typical stuff for a young woman of her age. She discusses family, church, friends, men, and her professional life.

Sunday, June 11, 1995

"What a weekend, Surprise.

"My Mason City/Clear Lake friends thru a big party for me! At a lounge, wild.

It was in Clear Lake. They had a 16 gal keg -- huge cake (with a skier) so much left.

"John Vansice grilled 150 pork burgers, we were dancing on tables ... dancing everywhere ... Everyone had a ball.

"Video camera was rolling, cameras were clicking -- oh what fun!

"Life is so good. The party made me feel so good."

Tuesday, June 13, 1995

"Last night John, ... and I went to the Glen Miller Orchestra in Belmond. I have so many great viewers. People are so kind. This nice weather has me wild. I bought a new Mazda Miata, simply love it."

Sunday, June 25, 1995

"Got home from a weekend road trip to Iowa City -- oh we had fun! It was wild, partying and water skiing.

"We skied at the Coralville Res. I'm improving on the skis -- hips up, lean, etc.

"John's son Trent gave me some great ski tip advice.

"Today, Sunday, it was raining in Mason City so didn't get any skiing in. I love it, it's addicting.

"Great friends but professionally, I'm fed up. It's difficult finding a new job and I'm confused about agent and what to do."

Two days later, Tuesday, June 27, 1995, Huisentruit left for work early in the morning but never arrived.

She has been missing since that day.
All the stuff I could find on it. I'm sure there's more. It's just interesting that the wife of the former chief anonymously sending the journal to the media didn't receive that much attention.

As for the girl in SC, I've heard that South Carolina is one of the states most affected by human trafficking. It seems that back then there would be much more of it than today.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I lived in Ia then.

I remember watching the show the day she disappeared, everyone on camera that day was acting really strange then when it was announced I understood why
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
There is too much evil out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top