Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2017 12:39:09 PM EDT
I like MSI Titan GT80  but there other good ones also, especially with 4K displays.

I have the MSI Titan GT80 SLI model, it's very nice and gives any desktop a run for its money.

Pros: Mechanical keyboard and easily replaceable SSDs.   One M.2 factor and 3xM.2 2280 SSDs.  18" screen.

Cons: Abysmal battery life and pretty heavy. I'ts not a laptop you want to travel with much. It weights 10 lbs and that does not count the power brick that weights several lbs. They are however much lighter than my last desktop that was around 40 lbs and a full size tower and this notebook is an order of magnitude more powerful.

Replaced a 10 year old desktop with this laptop, went from a 5-minute boot time to 22 seconds..
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That is glorious!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No such thing as a desktop replacement.  You're just getting last year's 'pretty good' stuff at top tier price.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What a Beast of a Machine.

Razor makes some nice 1080 laptops.  I'm sure heat can be an issue, but they are slick....
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, really depends on your use. Still only 1080p, and 980ms are in between GTX 960/970 performance, which is nearly 2 generations old - plus the headaches that come with SLI support.

Its a nice laptop for sure, but you can easily build a desktop that outperfoms it for a fraction of the price.

I've never had to move my desktop other than when moving houses or offices... but if I did, small form factor builds have become very popular

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure, if you want your desktop to run hot as shit and have a short component life.

I'm still running a 12 yr old HDD  with photos and vids on it in my current desktop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
not a replacement, just more convenient.

i mean who really uses 1 monitor nowadays?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thread is fail. That's just a nice laptop. I thought this was about the recent trend in using laptops with docking stations monitors and keyboards as desk tops. Always a bunch of fall trying to use this shit. Looking at you DOD
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the red LED keyboard.  Cherry Mx brown keys. it clicks but is not obnoxious.

The top cover gives easy access to SS drives.  I mirror drives so if one fails, I have a backup.  It's not a cheap way but I think of it as kind of a RAID-1. Take weekly snapshots. I have 2x512GB and 2x1TB. I will probably eventually upgrade to 4x2TB. when the prices come down a bit.

Dual video cards will run any 4K you want.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
alienware.....  i replaced my desktop with a alienware 17. has a spot for 2 hard drives, 32 gigs memory, ect.....  running win 7 ultimate..... heavy but awesome......
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure, if you want your desktop to run hot as shit and have a short component life.

I'm still running a 12 yr old HDD  with photos and vids on it in my current desktop.
View Quote
Nope, it's not Lenovo or business class IBM, it has massive cooling built-in. You can push the button for Turbo mode. I monitor temp. It does not get hot.

You need a large case with massive cooling fans, which it has.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
not a replacement, just more convenient.

i mean who really uses 1 monitor nowadays?
View Quote
Seriously? I plug in a 28" or 32" 4K and it has all the real estate I need.  4K is a great match for 32" size IMO.

32" monitor is a replacement for  dual monitor setup.  It's huge.

As a backup, I use its own 18" monitor. So that makes it  2 monitors.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out the Lenovo Thinkpad P51, or the P71 if you want a 17" screen. It's a mobile workstation. I have the P50 and it has been the best computer I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
alienware.....  i replaced my desktop with a alienware 17. has a spot for 2 hard drives, 32 gigs memory, ect.....  running win 7 ultimate..... heavy but awesome......
View Quote
I run 24GB but it's upgradeable to 32GB..

The M.2 PCIe are freaking fast.   I use cheaper SSDs for storage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check out the Lenovo Thinkpad P51, or the P71 if you want a 17" screen. It's a mobile workstation. I have the P50 and it has been the best computer I have ever owned.
View Quote
I like 18.4" screens like what you get with GT80. However 17" screens have an advantage, you can get them in 4K. For some reason, there is no 4K panel for 18" screens.
The demand must be small. It is an usual product. It's huge, heavy expensive and very fast.

Was almost 4K new, I got it for 1/3 of that price just because it's not latest, greatest anymore. There is GT83 and others.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh, really depends on your use. Still only 1080p, and 980ms are in between GTX 960/970 performance, which is nearly 2 generations old - plus the headaches that come with SLI support.

Its a nice laptop for sure, but you can easily build a desktop that outperfoms it for a fraction of the price.

I've never had to move my desktop other than when moving houses or offices... but if I did, small form factor builds have become very popular

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51zmKJKFpkL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
View Quote
I switched from a tower to SFF (Shuttle) in 2003 and loved it. If I ever get back into it, I will build an SFF.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Forgive my ignorance, but can you upgrade the GPU(s) in those? If not it's really not a desktop replacement. I always upgrade my GPUs mid life cycle to breath more energy into the system.

IMHO tablets are going to kill laptops.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Thinkpad with docking station.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I think peripherals are going to be much more of a thing soon. Graphics cards, massive storage, etc. The bus speeds for Thunderbolt and USB make it possible for the first time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance, but can you upgrade the GPU(s) in those? If not it's really not a desktop replacement. I always upgrade my GPUs mid life cycle to breath more energy into the system.

View Quote
Yes you can upgrade the dual 980m you have in there. But they currently run a 4K monitor without issues.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]
https://laptopworld1.blogspot.com/2016/01/best-gaming-laptop-of-2015.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Alienware is a nice contender.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The only downside is lack of good cooling to make these more "general purpose".

I wish they used an open source standard for where they put connectors and/or docking station option. That would make them a real deskstop replacement.

With every generation of Macbook Pro (and Powerbook) I had a BookEndz for it and used those for when I wanted to have a larger screen along with better keyboard/mouse.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]
The Titan GT80 has excellent cooling. Never gets hot.

I installed that temperature measuring app.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes you can upgrade the dual 980m you have in there. But they currently run a 4K monitor without issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The iGPU in an i3 can run a 4k monitor without issues. Unless you're talking about graphics intensive stuff, in which case SLI'd (which is not a linear performance boost) 980M cards are going to get trounced by more modern cards that don't cost a lot. A 10 pound monster laptop ends up just being a really expensive version of performance you could easily get in a desktop years ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#25]
For you guys that build a system, how do you get the software or operating system? Buy them, bootleg them etc?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]
OP I was originally looking at the Titans but I went with the Alienware 17x loaded out the ass.

I travel with it every day and it's fast as shit.  I don't regret the decision at all and I'm really happy I went that route... I also have some battery left over and the portability has been a blessing...the titan isn't exactly a daily carrier.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For you guys that build a system, how do you get the software or operating system? Buy them, bootleg them etc?
View Quote
You can download a disk image from Microsoft:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then you activate it after the install.   The image I downloaded gives you a choice of what version of Win 10 you want to install.  (home/pro/whatever)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP I was originally looking at the Titans but I went with the Alienware 17x loaded out the ass.

I travel with it every day and it's fast as shit.  I don't regret the decision at all and I'm really happy I went that route... I also have some battery left over and the portability has been a blessing...the titan isn't exactly a daily carrier.
View Quote
My other desktop replacement is a Dell L702x, 17", HD, 2 HDD. It's old. More than 5 years old but it was hot in its day.  It isn't all that bad really. I don't think it will run 4K but its native screen is very nice. It has a higher pixel density than the MSI Titan. HD Looks better on a 17.3" versus a 18.3" screen. Denser.

Alienware is Dell. The best thing about Dells - and I cannot believe MSI dropped the ball on this one -- are removable batteries. If you run out, you can swap in a fresh one in 20 seconds. MSI has built-in batteries that can be replaced but it takes 20 minutes in all likelyhood.

I am not sure if Alienware has the same quick-swap cells like L702x, a neat feature.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No such thing as a desktop replacement.  You're just getting last year's 'pretty good' stuff at top tier price.
View Quote
Glad you're happy with your laptop OP, but this. Dollar for dollar you can't beat the tower.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Glad you're happy with your laptop OP, but this. Dollar for dollar you can't beat the tower.
View Quote
If you don't need it to be mobile in case of a natural disaster like one of those hurricanes, then the tower is fine.  Or for whatever reason. Myself, I am never going to a desktop again.
I've had both and I really like it to be portable. You can still keep all the devices like a bigger monitor, a keyboard, whatever and connect when you want to.
Hard drives have shrank tremendously. A SSD the side of a chewing gum stick holds more data than my older 4x300GB HDD that were big and noisy.

I got mine new, but as an older model. Saved a fortune.  Paid less than half new. I am not going to pay $3999 for any machine, laptop or desktop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you don't need it to be mobile in case of a natural disaster like one of those hurricanes, then the tower is fine.  Or for whatever reason. Myself, I am never going to a desktop again.
I've had both and I really like it to be portable. You can still keep all the devices like a bigger monitor, a keyboard, whatever and connect when you want to.
Hard drives have shrank tremendously. A SSD the side of a chewing gum stick holds more data than my older 4x300GB HDD that were big and noisy.

I got mine new, but as an older model. Saved a fortune.  Paid less than half new. I am not going to pay $3999 for any machine, laptop or desktop.
View Quote
No doubt, if mobility is a need then it's a laptop. Glad you're excited about yours.

My gaming/streaming rig is on my insurance policy. If it gets destroyed in a natural disaster, I'm taking the money and building a better one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#32]
what does it benchmark on uniginie superposition?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]
An expensive bitch, but very impressive.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Love my MSI GS70 stealth pro in red. Lightweight and a powerhouse. I have no desktop anymore and this thing will play any game....

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow. That is neat. Looks very compact and matches most desktops power-wise.

Looks much lighter than the GT80 model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top