User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/197999/IMG_1387-316752.JPG

I was expecting a technician, not a rodeo clown.

Drifting is the rap music of the racing world.

TC
View Quote
I highly disagree.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ken Block is such and asshole it is unreal. Really dislike this guy, and all his antics.
View Quote
was (maybe still is) an owner of DC shoes and is heavy into racing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He lives around me, and the way he treats fans is crazy. His instagram is a huge look at me fest and then when people come up to him in a respectful way he is one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen. I witnessed him eviscerate a young guy that serves his wife daily at whole foods. The guy said that Ken was his idol and was very respectful. Ken's response was one of the most pathetic I have ever seen. The guy is all about the fame and $$. Just a big show off. Not even a good racer. Just a brand whore to the highest degree.
View Quote
I have to say that my experience meeting him is completely different....

It was about 3 or 4 years ago @LSPR, he was battling Higgins for first place in the Rally America series and it was the last race of the year. He was really pushing it and wrecked at over 100 mph into the woods. The wife and I ran into him at the closing awards ceremony. We started shooting the shut and ended up spending the entire night partying with him and his crew....... I imagine he's got that like him or don't vibe.

My experience was great meeting him.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some of you would bitch about getting a blowjob and a stack of hundred dollar bills.
View Quote
Those same bolt gun fudds say drag racing and NASCAR are the only Motorsports that matter.

All of said fudds would crash and die on turn one. All said fudds also say Remy is disgusting, and they wouldn't bang a super model if she was an inky or had pointy elbows. All said fudds wives are fat as fuck wilderbeasts.

It's fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched a Rallycross video this morning that shows drifting as a means of setting up turns. It makes sense there. I don't care for the drift "sport", but can appreciate the talent.

That said, this car would be fun until I destroyed it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wonder how much boost they're giving those turbos?
View Quote
Im not sure if your question was just improperly worded or if you dont understand how turbos work...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TC
View Quote

Where is the video of you driving it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All said fudds also say Remy is disgusting
View Quote
Remy LaCroix?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Remy LaCroix?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All said fudds also say Remy is disgusting
Remy LaCroix?
Who else dude? Wtf
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
It just has not been the same since they paved the road all the way to the top.  Nowhere near as entertaining.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's a 65 mustang (not much 65 left) with a nascar v8 and AWD. A clone is on my list of things to own when i wen the lottery
View Quote
Actually the engine is a Roush sprint car engine
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You mean he uses social media to promote himself? What a dick!

What was his response to the young man that idolized him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lives around me, and the way he treats fans is crazy. His instagram is a huge look at me fest and then when people come up to him in a respectful way he is one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen. I witnessed him eviscerate a young guy that serves his wife daily at whole foods. The guy said that Ken was his idol and was very respectful. Ken's response was one of the most pathetic I have ever seen. The guy is all about the fame and $. Just a big show off. Not even a good racer. Just a brand whore to the highest degree.

The kid was a bit awkward, but was introduced from a mutual friend (bar manager) so not just a random interruption. The kid mentioned that he knew his wife, and Ken got in his face and said how the f**k do you know my wife. Kid immediately turns red and mumbles that he serves her at whole foods. Ken got out of his face and asked what he wanted. The kid mentions that he has been following Ken for a while and his life dream is for Ken to drive his car. Ken asks what he drives, when the kid says a subaru Ken laughs in his face and says I drive Fords. Turned his back on the kid and walked off. Poor kid was crushed. His bully behavior to some 20 year old kid that idolizes him was just so low after a few other encounters all where he acted like a dick to various people. I'm not a fan.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who else dude? Wtf
View Quote
Ok good because there's some booze named Remy Martin, which I assume is delicious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 65 mustang (not much 65 left) with a nascar v8 and AWD. A clone is on my list of things to own when i wen the lottery
Close enough
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I rode my Harley up that thing Aug 29.  That mountain is no joke!!!!!  Even going SLOW
Riding up Pikes Peak full version on my Harley Super Glide Custom 8-29-2017
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Gymkhana is not drifting.

Go back to nascar and drag racing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually like his videos, but that was utterly boring.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched a Rallycross video this morning that shows drifting as a means of setting up turns. It makes sense there. I don't care for the drift "sport", but can appreciate the talent.

That said, this car would be fun until I destroyed it.
View Quote
Do WRC cars have a handbrake to initiate the oversteer or is it setup/trail braking/etc.?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Reminds me of that one time riding with my wife on the back side of the Tetons.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Zero, you dont "give boost to turbos"
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
That was awesome. In B4 some arfcom dildo says he can do better in his fucking Camry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
My car club just went up there that roads a LOT of fun

image upload
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Zero, you dont "give boost to turbos"
View Quote
You know what he means.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I rode my Harley up that thing Aug 29.  That mountain is no joke!!!!!  Even going SLOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-YQ0_WW2w
View Quote
I rode my BMW R80 GS up Pikes Peak in 1983, wasn't paved past the first mile or so. Going up wasn't as bad as coming back down, had to stop a few times to cool my brakes on the descent.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is that thing 4WD?
View Quote
Four wheels driven by a 1,400 HP, twin 21 pounds of boost turbo feeding a 6.7 liter methanol motor.

Next step up is going to solid fuel propellants.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I rode my BMW R80 GS up Pikes Peak in 1983, wasn't paved past the first mile or so. Going up wasn't as bad as coming back down, had to stop a few times to cool my brakes on the descent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-YQ0_WW2w
I'm very glad they paved it a few years back.  I can't imagine going up, especially racing up that mountain when it was dirt.  Also did MT Evans which is higher.  Mt Evans not bad at all, Pikes Peak about scared the shit out of me.  Birthday and Bucket list trip up!!  Video going down is awesome with much better views.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do WRC cars have a handbrake to initiate the oversteer or is it setup/trail braking/etc.?
View Quote
They have non-ratcheting handbrakes plumbed into the rear brakes for the slower 180s. Faster oversteer is initiated by weight transfer using the regular brakes. Drift cars use the same handbrake system.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is the best Pikes Peak hill climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEuZG37gFdM
View Quote
Watch the needle of the tach.  Pinned-zero-pinned-zero-pinned-almostzpinneero....
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Im not sure if your question was just improperly worded or if you dont understand how turbos work...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a turbo guy, did have a Supercharger on one of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Haters gonna hate.

It's entertainment just enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dang, I wonder how fast he could do the hillclimb if he didn't fool around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6L_7qLIEQ
View Quote

Thanks for sharing this OP. I have'nt thought about Ken Block for a while.
He's prob the best driver I've ever seen!

Super cool!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Judging from the tire marks, I'd say he practiced til he got the times right.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
His time if he tried??? It would suck. He's not fast. 

Eta
https://i.imgur.com/QNmP3j6.jpg
View Quote
To be fair he did win some races in the Rally America circuit.  But he's no Higgins or Pastrana
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Some sections look like they would be fun as hell to drift.   Other sections look like they would be fun as hell to take at speed sweeping from off camber to on camber.

But what is obvious is tons of runs were made in sections.   No way in hell that was one continuous run.   Pieced together sections of practice runs.

This is a more interesting video to me given it is all one take...

Drone racing pilot plays with a train.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Back in my day oversteer was something you worked extremely hard to avoid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Back in my day oversteer was something you worked extremely hard to avoid.
View Quote
And pretty much every track record your generation set has been smashed
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Some sections look like they would be fun as hell to drift.   Other sections look like they would be fun as hell to take at speed sweeping from off camber to on camber.

But what is obvious is tons of runs were made in sections.   No way in hell that was one continuous run.   Pieced together sections of practice runs.

View Quote
Concur - Toyo's, many many Toyo's met there end to make that clip.

However, much of the way he was drifting on pavement was the way it had to be driven to get a good time when it was all dirt.

Not sure - but the button on the shifter on the older 2WD dirt vintage cars was a switch to disable traction control. You needed to be able to break loose in the turns, but as you exited you needed the tires to hook up to get your speed back up. Old traction controls had a tach sensor on each front wheel brake and if the faster of the front wheels was too much slower the "computer" would kill the spark on a few firing cycles to cut excess torque and allow the rear to 'hook up' again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The kid was a bit awkward, but was introduced from a mutual friend (bar manager) so not just a random interruption. The kid mentioned that he knew his wife, and Ken got in his face and said how the f**k do you know my wife. Kid immediately turns red and mumbles that he serves her at whole foods. Ken got out of his face and asked what he wanted. The kid mentions that he has been following Ken for a while and his life dream is for Ken to drive his car. Ken asks what he drives, when the kid says a subaru Ken laughs in his face and says I drive Fords. Turned his back on the kid and walked off. Poor kid was crushed. His bully behavior to some 20 year old kid that idolizes him was just so low after a few other encounters all where he acted like a dick to various people. I'm not a fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lives around me, and the way he treats fans is crazy. His instagram is a huge look at me fest and then when people come up to him in a respectful way he is one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen. I witnessed him eviscerate a young guy that serves his wife daily at whole foods. The guy said that Ken was his idol and was very respectful. Ken's response was one of the most pathetic I have ever seen. The guy is all about the fame and $. Just a big show off. Not even a good racer. Just a brand whore to the highest degree.

A lot of car guys are super douchey. The ford guys especially so. I like Matt Powers as an athlete because he used his own money to build his car, lived in a garage, and genuinely has talent and is a humble guy.

He also has the most bad ass setups I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've read and heard Block is talentless.

There are a few videos of three pro FD drifters doing some serious high speed continuous runs. Matt Powers and Ryan Tuerck IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Depress the clutch or blip the throttle, otherwise there is no gear change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is litterally no "shifting" to a new gear, you are jamming the next gear into play with no release in power production.  
Depress the clutch or blip the throttle, otherwise there is no gear change.
I think they are typically a dogbox with no-lift shift. They have to come out of gear before they go into the next one, but shift time is prob measured in milliseconds on these things.
.2sec is pretty common for a normal H pattern in a sprint race, these guys are well under that.

They have lugs (dogs) on the faces of the gear that lock up as you slide them together.
(normal trans have teeth around a circumference and a collar that slides over them to lock, with sycro in between to help them line up and engage)

The shifters often have a strain gauge on them that tells a black box to cut or back off ign timing for a split sec to free things up on an upshift. You hold the pedal to the metal. This is some of the popping you hear.
To downshift they prob have to goose it to free things up on the drive by cable cars, but the drive by wire cars are just hit the shifter easy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah like on a bike or bike engined car.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow, a bunch of cranky pants around here.

I thought it was cool.  Hot custom car doing stuff I can't dream of ever doing.  Good footage, we'll done video.

Thanks OP
View Quote
LOTS of whiners on here now...his Hollywood video is good too!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And pretty much every track record your generation set has been smashed
View Quote
Not by dudes rotating corners.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Put together and planned mostly by an Arfcomer.

The more you know!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

TC
View Quote
lol

Block can drive.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
His time if he tried??? It would suck. He's not fast. 

Eta
https://i.imgur.com/QNmP3j6.jpg
View Quote
This, when it comes to times, he doesn't have the talent to compete on the world level.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Those dudes bought the farm, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's fucking lame as hell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh fuck yeah!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top