Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2017 10:21:47 AM EDT
What would a belt fed have over a mag fed rifle that uses a higher capacity magazine?  Say like a Surefire or Beta mag?

Just wondering at why would someone pay big money for a 249, Shrike, RPD, and other belt feds.  I can see a collector buying them, but beyond that, I am not seeing it, especially with prices.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Well a belt can be 300 rounds long and a mag can't.

But mostly I think it is just "cool factor"

I had a belt fed 22lr AR upper and when I could get it to run it was cool. But that was about it. I had more fun shooting 22lr mag fed guns.
But the belt would draw the comments and jealousy of folks at the range.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
100rd belts work

100rd mags dont.

Also quick cjange barrels longer suppresion
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had a belt fed 22lr AR upper and when I could get it to run it was cool. But that was about it. I had more fun shooting 22lr mag fed guns.
View Quote
I get the 300 rd belt point, but aren't most 100?  And isn't it easier/quicker to change mags than belts?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
100rd belts work

100rd mags dont.

Also quick cjange barrels longer suppresion
View Quote
I've used a Surefire 100 that was loaded close to max.  It worked fine multiple times with a Slidefire.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I get the 300 rd belt point, but aren't most 100?  And isn't it easier/quicker to change mags than belts?
View Quote
Cloth 1919 belts are 225 or 250.  Just about everything else can be linked up as long as you'd like.  DM-1 belts, for example, are 50rds but can be linked to other belts - I have one loaded with 1000rds (20 belts continuous)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
1. Cool factor. Belt feds are cool as hell. Like Miles Davis letting you pick up your date in his car kind of cool.
2. Theoretically unlimited ammunition?

But mostly cool factor. They're complex, they're expensive, links are a pain in the ass. But they're so damn cool.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
A good gun team in a prepared position won't have to reload at all.

In an ambush you can fire a thousand rounds in a burst and then change barrels and put in a new belt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#8]
You either get it or you don't.

The mechanisms that feed them are cool.
Different styles of belts are cool.
A CHAIN OF BULLETS is just fucking cool.

Most belt Feds have tripods and quick change barrels and lets be honest, there's a CHAIN OF BULLETS

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've used a Surefire 100 that was loaded close to max.  It worked fine multiple times with a Slidefire.
View Quote
Loaded close to max........ Still not a hundred then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Changing a belt is pretty fast. How fast can you load a 100 round mag?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our CROWS m240 has multiple belts linked...over 1000 rounds. Don't want to climb on top of the vehicle to reload that pig during a fight. Mags take up more room, heavy, expensive, take longer to load, etc. Lower capacity is the big one though.

Imagine a 100 round mag for a 240 or M2...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#12]
The biggest difference is belt length.

A good assistant gunner will keep you rocking and rolling til the gun melts down.  As long as he has ammo he can add a link when the gunner gets about halfway down.

In the Abrams, the coax machine gun has 3800 rounds linked in a giant box beside the gun.

Mag changes are faster than belt changes, but if you have hundreds of rounds on one belt you don't need to change anything.  

A basic load for a soldier with an M4 is about 250 rounds I think.  They can carry more if they want to I suppose.

The SAW has a belt of 200.  

Most .30 cal MGs have 100 round belts.

When I was a 60 gunner I always carried 100 on the gun and at least 300 in my pack.

In one ambush I had 500 all linked together and no AG.  When I displaced, I had a giant belt of 300 rounds I was trying to manage, all while running down a sandy hill.  The belt won, it wrapped around my legs and I went down the hill the hard way.  The other guys thought it was hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Makes sense everyone. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's faster to fire off a 100rd belt than three 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Belt feds are just plain cool.

Id say it has something to do with open bolt vs close bolt just to add something different to the discussion. These were designed from the ground up to shoot high volumes, where as guns designed for magazines aren't really designed for high volume constant firing

As a civie their plain cool. Don't you wanna be the dude on the block with the beltfed?

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh come on, what's cooler than this?

Perhaps this?

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Belt feds are just so much more fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Semi-auto belt feds are completely worthless. Basically they look cool and are a fun conversation piece. Imagine if Chevy offered the corvette in a 4-cylinder 100 hp option that cost half the price. Sure it looks cool, but its just not the same.

Full-auto is really the only way to take advantage of a belt fed. The M249, Shrike, and RPD are all examples of Light Machine Guns (LMGs) Belt fed MGs, they usually fire an intermediate cartridge (5.56, 308, 7.62x39, etc..), have a bipod, open bolt design, and a quick change barrel. They are used for suppressive fire and engaging area targets at long ranges. The advantage of a belt fed is sustained rate of fire, the belt allows you to continue firing without reloading, only stopping if you need to change barrels or you run out of ammo. But there are many draw backs, as they are large, heavy, difficult to reload, require additional training, may require a second person to carry spare barrels and extra belted ammunition. It also takes longer to reload a belt than it does to change a mag. As a civilian you must buy your own firearms, and unfortunately the artificial supply of transferable MGs created by the NFA and Hughes Amendment has made most belt feds nearly impossible for the average person to own with costs varying from $15k for a M1919 at the low end to $200k+ for a M240B. Even post samples, can costs $5,000-20,000 (you will need to be a class 3 dealer for this) and that's before optics, spare barrels, lasers, lights, linked ammo, ammo pouches, spare parts, etc...

A belt fed LMG is pretty much useless for personal and home defense. As a civilian almost all violent crimes will come as a surprise. Outside of the home you will only be able to carry your CCW pistol with you so a belt fed is not even an option. Inside your home its possible to keep one loaded next to your night stand per se but you will be fighting in close quarters against maybe 1-3 attackers actively breaking into or possible already in your home, the last thing you want to grab is a 30lb belt fed with a massive bipod, magnified optic, and a 100-200 round belt hanging off the side dragging on the ground. Home defense is more suited for a suppressed MK18 upper on a M16/AR15 lower with a 30 round mag or other CQBR/PDW.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Swapping belts after 200rds on my buddies Shrike upper and m16 lower is much quicker than doing 6 mags changes. Besides, NOTHING puts a bigger smile on my face than ripping a 200rd belt downrange
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Belts are more reliable/durable for the capacity they offer. Easy to link up 1,000+ rounds. Less weight than mags. Some guns are temperamental to sand/dust/mud, for them, keeping your brass clean is key.

Standard mags don't offer enough capacity for the bulk. 40 round pmags are as good as it gets.

Surefire 4-column mags are iffy on reliability. They are very unforgiving of poor maintenance. Springs wear out quickly.

Drums are bulky and heavy. Magpul's D60 is the best I've seen. Others are heavier or unreliable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Sustained full auto fire

Mag guns aren't in the same realm for sustained fire. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#22]
If you have a failure of a link on a 100 round belt, you clear the stoppage and keep going. If a 100 round mag fails, you lose whatever was in the mag.

Typically (Browning designs aren't) beltfeds are open bolt which is better in a sustained fire application. Less chance of cookoff in a really hot barrel.

And as mentioned, you can run LONG belts. 850 rounds is a lot of mags

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Decide what you are trying to accomplish.

For mounting a setup on a tripod or vehicle or whatever the belt fed works better than mag fed in my opinion.

I also agree that the firearms designed as belt fed have a nice mystique.

The 100rd drum mags sort of kind or try to bridge the gap but reading where they break if dropped or can't be kept loaded for some designs, or on ak stuff should not be kept wound up if chinese design, a belt in an ammo can is a nice option.

After living through the clinton ban years, I just see it as a nice middle finger to those who feel mag capacity limits are alright.  I also say the same thing about a bayonet lug and lot of other stuff.

The problem is not the firearms but they don't care.  If they ever told the truth the firearms would be seen as the problem to their concept of world domination.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Going prone with a 100 round mag (or a 40 round mag) sucks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Back in the day, belts were more reliable as a feed system than most older magazines. Original MGs weren't designed with mobility at all a factor, they were emplaced on their tripod, most were water cooled, and lots and lots of ammo was brought to the gun to keep it fed. So with belts came reliability, higher capacity, and best of all supply was easier since ammo cans contained their belted ammo, while those needed to be fed by magazines came on stripper clips that first had to be loaded into mags, then the magazines stores in some sort of box or pouch, then inserted into the gun. So ammo supplies could rush forward to a gun team and just crack the box open and rock and roll, but for instance a BAR or BREN needed someone to fill magazines first. The only limiting factor on belts is that some types aren't reliable, if they get dirty (especially from Mexican carrying belts) they might not feed properly, and the feed prawns on the feed tray cover might not be strong enough to adequately pull them, especially in adverse conditions. One of the reasons the cyclic rate of the MG-42 was so high was that in perfect conditions they shot 1100-1300 rpm, but when dirty or extremely cold they still could manage 700-900 rpm, which the MG34 couldn't do (it sucked dirty or cold).

Present day machine gun designs and theory are just carry overs of from the mid-20th century, nothing truly novel in MG has come about in quite some time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#26]
You can also do this

BPP 23Ek- 600 rds continuous
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You either get it or you don't.

The mechanisms that feed them are cool.
Different styles of belts are cool.
A CHAIN OF BULLETS is just fucking cool.

Most belt Feds have tripods and quick change barrels and lets be honest, there's a CHAIN OF BULLETS

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333717/IMG_4492_JPG-289682.jpg
View Quote
Sweet MG42... What's a transferable one of those run nowadays?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]
More rounds
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Back in the day, belts were more reliable as a feed system than most older magazines. Original MGs weren't designed with mobility at all a factor, they were emplaced on their tripod, most were water cooled, and lots and lots of ammo was brought to the gun to keep it fed. So with belts came reliability, higher capacity, and best of all supply was easier since ammo cans contained their belted ammo, while those needed to be fed by magazines came on stripper clips that first had to be loaded into mags, then the magazines stores in some sort of box or pouch, then inserted into the gun. So ammo supplies could rush forward to a gun team and just crack the box open and rock and roll, but for instance a BAR or BREN needed someone to fill magazines first. The only limiting factor on belts is that some types aren't reliable, if they get dirty (especially from Mexican carrying belts) they might not feed properly, and the feed prawns on the feed tray cover might not be strong enough to adequately pull them, especially in adverse conditions. One of the reasons the cyclic rate of the MG-42 was so high was that in perfect conditions they shot 1100-1300 rpm, but when dirty or extremely cold they still could manage 700-900 rpm, which the MG34 couldn't do (it sucked dirty or cold).

Present day machine gun designs and theory are just carry overs of from the mid-20th century, nothing truly novel in MG has come about in quite some time.
View Quote
I know what you meant, but that is great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#30]
It simply doesn't get any cooler than a belt fed, even a semi.

The range toys that seem to get the most attention are belt feds and MP5 clones.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're really in/anticipating the shit, you can start linking them ahead of time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good catch. Meant pawls.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Fewer reloads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Sustained high rate of fire but must be accompanied with barrel changes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#35]
M249 SAW 800 round backpack feed
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you have a failure of a link on a 100 round belt, you clear the stoppage and keep going. If a 100 round mag fails, you lose whatever was in the mag.

Typically (Browning designs aren't) beltfeds are open bolt which is better in a sustained fire application. Less chance of cookoff in a really hot barrel.

And as mentioned, you can run LONG belts. 850 rounds is a lot of mags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6jy7eGZgY
View Quote
Fuckin' Jerry. Dude behind the trigger taught my CSW instructor course.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]
This thread makes me miss my RPD :(
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
It should
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It should
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should
whut he sed.  If you had a RPD and sold it, you should feel bad!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
BMG is a hundred.

Please let me know when you find a 100 round BMG magazine, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It should
View Quote
It was a vector with weird stock geometry. 

I'd like to pick up a replacement. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Waiting patiently for your next new post asking why the military wastes their time with machine guns when they can just buy slide fires...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It was a vector with weird stock geometry. 

I'd like to pick up a replacement. 
View Quote
You should

I don't care how gay everyone says a semi belt fed is

Its literally one of my favorite guns to shoot. Seems like its laser beam accurate to 300 yards on steel as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Just don't kick off your ambush with an open bolt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good catch. Meant pawls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good catch. Meant pawls.
I know, but now I am seeing a M240 with shrimp crammed in the top cover. Feed prawns.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I like my RPD. The 100rd belts are worlds better than the 75rd RPK drums when I initiate my FPF in my AO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#48]
More pew pew pew...........what's not to like  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Because magazine reliability goes down inversely with round count, specially over 40 rounds. Plus its easier to carry belts for reloading than it is to carry the magazines.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sweet MG42... What's a transferable one of those run nowadays?
View Quote
They've gotten a bit pricey, but all of them have.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698821499

I think his buy it now is pretty optimistic but someone will eventually want it bad enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top