Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, well, that's totally different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you have the same opinion had he displayed the Quran, or other non-Judeo-Christian religious texts, in his courtroom?
Oh, well, that's totally different.
No, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it were in a state where the majority of the people agreed with the values of whatever non-Judeo-Christian text to the point that they elected an official who claimed their views were rooted in that text, as long as it's not anti-constitution in principle, then have at it. I'd support their right to display it over a federal order to remove it.

Of course in this case we're talking about Alabama, Heart of Dixie and middle of the Bible Belt. Most people here, even if not themselves deeply religious, identify as cultural Christians. The idea of the Ten Commandments being displayed in a courtroom here is not nearly as controversial or offensive to most Alabamians as a federal order to remove them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Representatives should voice the opinions, concerns, and ideals of their constituency.  In this, Moore may be a great fit for Congress.

We could use more bible thumpers in the senate to balance out the leftists.

He was still in the wrong as a judge though, even if you share his religious beliefs.
View Quote
No we don't. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All of you Christianity haters miss an important thing......

The people of Alabama are going to elect him.  Know why?

Because they like what he stands for.

You guys are the fringe, and are, as usual, wrong.
View Quote
Spoken like a true bleeding heart.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's simply not true.  They didn't deem his actions unconstitutional.
View Quote
When your actions as a judge are deemed in violation of the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment, what would you call it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Christian values and the Constitution are two of the most important influences on most members here.  What do we do when they conflict?
View Quote
So where do Christian values and the Constitution conflict. I must have missed something
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Moore's outstanding, fully support his values, and truly hope he wins and wins big, for the message it sends to both the GOPe and libitards alike...

ETA: If he didn't represent in Alabama, I'd welcome him with open arms to Texas to replace John Cornyn in a heartbeat...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Love the GD logic of using religious values to justify discrimination against a portion of the population. Because that will totally work out in their favor when Christians are a minority in this country. 

Keep thumping that bible and calling those of us who believe in freedom a “fringe element of society”. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So where do Christian values and the Constitution conflict. I must have missed something
View Quote
Placing a 5 ton statue of the 10 commandments in your courtroom, for starters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, except for the fact that all of western civilization is predicated on the religious beliefs he has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he was a Judge who couldn't separate his religious beliefs from his duty. Sounds just like the piece of Shit liberals we bash here, going with his feelings instead of the law.
Yes, except for the fact that all of western civilization is predicated on the religious beliefs he has.
Some just cannot understand, nor accept this concept no matter how simple, important, and truthful it is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Placing a 5 ton statue of the 10 commandments in your courtroom, for starters.
View Quote
Since Constitutional law is based on the 10 commandments, I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a hypothetical, but it is the whole reason we have confirmation hearings.

Judges must be able to remain impartial to their application of the law when the law and their personal beliefs are in conflict.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some just cannot understand, nor accept this concept no matter how simple, important, and truthful it is.
View Quote
Except that it's not. Don't forget Roman rule of law and Greek philosophy predating Christianity and how all those Church debates on man's place in the universe and his relationship with government always went back to Plato and Aristotle and the Twelve Tables of Rome.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the social issue stuff, hopefully he can tone it down and not choose those issues as a hill to die on like a lot of other social conservatives.
View Quote
His whole career is defined by making those issues hills to die on.  People in this state love or hate the guy and will probably end up sending him to the senate where he will be ineffective. The guy hasn't been able to get along with anyone he works with and will have zero impact in office.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Since Constitutional law is based on the 10 commandments, I fail to see the problem.
View Quote
That's an interesting take.  By my count, of the 10 commandments, only lying, stealing, and killing are codified in our legal system.  Unless you count the states that keep the Sabbath holy by not selling booze on Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It was during his speech the night before.  In front of thousands of witnesses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He sounds a little "Christ-ie", but otherwise ARFCOM's kinda guy.

ETA:  Whoa up, wait a minute.   President Trump is supporting his opponent, Luther Strange.  I take back what I said.  Moore is dog shit.
Trump said he didn't care who won the runoff.  He would support either.

Strange is a D.C. Lobbyist by trade.  
Was this before or after President Trump twitted "It was great being with Luther Strange last night in Alabama. What great people, what a crowd! Vote Luther on Tuesday."
You're telling me President Trump said he had no preference on one night and told the people of Alabama to vote for Luther Strange the next?  I don't believe that.  How about a direct quote with a cite?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Lots of stupid in this thread.

Moore wasn't fired this time.  He was suspended.

And I can assure you, those of us in Alabama are listening intently for the opinions of those from Kommifornia and other Lib states.  We always make our decisions based on what the Left coast thinks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Placing a 5 ton statue of the 10 commandments that you personally copyrighted in your courtroom, for starters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Placing a 5 ton statue of the 10 commandments that you personally copyrighted in your courtroom, for starters.
Fify
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're telling me President Trump said he had no preference on one night and told the people of Alabama to vote for Luther Strange the next?  I don't believe that.  How about a direct quote with a cite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  Whoa up, wait a minute.   President Trump is supporting his opponent, Luther Strange.  I take back what I said.  Moore is dog shit.

Was this before or after President Trump twitted "It was great being with Luther Strange last night in Alabama. What great people, what a crowd! Vote Luther on Tuesday."
Given the fact that the republican senate is holding Trump's agenda that he won an election on hostage, Trump is endorsing who Mitch wants him to endorse. He did say very clearly that he will fully support whoever wins. And even acknowledged that he may have made a mistake after hearing the crowd boo the GOP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So he was a Judge who couldn't separate his religious beliefs from his duty. Sounds just like the piece of Shit liberals we bash here, going with his feelings instead of the law.
View Quote
That is your opinion...to bad it's not an informed one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was the Alabama Court of the Judiciary or the federal judge who deemed his actions unconstitutional also uninformed?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
#Nevertrump accuses Trump's "guy" of being a RINO

... and then cry their little eyes out in this thread when it looks like he's going to get stomped by a True Conservative.

What bizarre inconsistency.

It's almost like they're not being honest about their political alignment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was the Alabama Court of the Judiciary or the federal judge who deemed his actions unconstitutional also uninformed?
View Quote
Are you referencing those same type of Federal Judges who have repeated violated the law to stop Trump from protecting America?  Those same judges?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think Moore's outstanding, fully support his values, and truly hope he wins and wins big, for the message it sends to both the GOPe and libitards alike...

ETA: If he didn't represent in Alabama, I'd welcome him with open arms to Texas to replace John Cornyn in a heartbeat...
View Quote
Agree 100% with Papa51 on this!  We need many more like this guy.  Some of you have one foot on the lib side of the fence.  This country is at war, just because bullets aren't flying don't think we aren't in the middle of an intense battle, decide which side you are on
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
great. Another overly religious asshole who's going to spend his time bitching about gays and abortion. Just what the GOP needs. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
great. Another overly religious asshole who's going to spend his time bitching about gays and abortion. Just what the GOP needs. 
fuck
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Legally he was in the right, too. There was nothing constitutional about the rulings he defied.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

His whole career is defined by making those issues hills to die on.  People in this state love or hate the guy and will probably end up sending him to the senate where he will be ineffective. The guy hasn't been able to get along with anyone he works with and will have zero impact in office.
View Quote
Because the John McCain and Lyndsey sucking Democrat Dick Graham model is so much better for us....I'd rather have an asshole Senator that didn't do a Goddamn thing than one who believes in "reach around the aisle"....because it's ALWAYS US that ends up getting FUCKED when that happens.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't see what's so funny. I have enough hate in my heart for this bitch and for Roy Moore. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Explain to me how I am wrong?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Agree 100% with Papa51 on this!  We need many more like this guy.  Some of you have one foot on the lib side of the fence.  This country is at war, just because bullets aren't flying don't think we aren't in the middle of an intense battle, decide which side you are on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ, be careful what you wish for. I can't tell where you are because you don't list your home state, but Alabama politics is like politics of a third world country.

If you're for stoning fags, then Roy Moore is the man for you. If you're a little more reasonable you should look for another candidate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beats the living fuck out of another mccain.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am not on the side of thinking with my heart and feelings like a true liberal. If that's what you want, so be it. You are part of the problem equally as much as the liberals. We are where we are now because both sides have eroded the rule of law. If the religious right had its way, even video games would be banned.

The liberal left and religious right are two sides of the same coin. They both want to ban what ever their feelings tell them is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am not on the side of thinking with my heart and feelings like a true liberal. If that's what you want, so be it. You are part of the problem equally as much as the liberals. We are where we are now because both sides have eroded the rule of law. If the religious right had its way, even video games would be banned.

The liberal left and religious right are two sides of the same coin. They both want to ban what ever their feelings tell them is wrong.
View Quote
Judeo Christian values founded this country. They aren't just "feelings", they are a moral and social code and the basis for our society.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Judeo Christian values founded this country. They aren't just "feelings", they are a moral and social code and the basis for our society.
View Quote
I always thought our country was founded as much on the premise of freedom from religion as much as anything else.  Isn't that what the 1st amendment says?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I always thought our country was founded as much on the premise of freedom from religion as much as anything else.  Isn't that what the 1st amendment says?
View Quote
Freedom of Religion, not Freedom from Religion.

Separation of Church and State means we aren't run by the likes of the Church of England.  Nowhere did the Founding Fathers say it was Separation FROM Church and State.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not at all. It says there shall be no officially established Church- like the Church of England for example..... That's not the same thing as saying we are a "christian nation" or a nation with Judeo Christian values.

The Emerson decision drew on the writings of ONE Founding Father, and most heavily on ONE letter to gin up the "wall of separation".....Given the absolute WEALTH of clear evidence about the religious nature of the Founders, it's always been rather suspect and flimsy at best to me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of you Christianity haters miss an important thing......

The people of Alabama are going to elect him.  Know why?

Because they like what he stands for.

You guys are the fringe, and are, as usual, wrong.
The stupid. It haz eated you up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Freedom of Religion, not Freedom from Religion.

Separation of Church and State means we aren't run by the likes of the Church of England.  Nowhere did the Founding Fathers say it was Separation FROM Church and State.
View Quote
The 1st amendment says that congress will make no laws respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Seems to me, freedom from religion comes first.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you can separate your religious beliefs or morality from anything, then you don't actually have religious beliefs or morality.
View Quote
The law is the law.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Given the fact that the republican senate is holding Trump's agenda that he won an election on hostage, Trump is endorsing who Mitch wants him to endorse. He did say very clearly that he will fully support whoever wins. And even acknowledged that he may have made a mistake after hearing the crowd boo the GOP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trump supporting Flake's challenger in AZ throws a wrench into that theory.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
#Nevertrump accuses Trump's "guy" of being a RINO

... and then cry their little eyes out in this thread when it looks like he's going to get stomped by a True Conservative.

What bizarre inconsistency.

It's almost like they're not being honest about their political alignment.
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
And yet we governed by a strict code of laws. We governed by what the law said, even if it didn't feel right. Everyone nowadays is a snowflake. Everyone feels personally victimized when something they don't like happens.

A moral and social code is perfectly fine, and even welcomed. Personal beliefs from the bench, and bible thumping in the Senate? Not so much. No one wants to some bitter old asshole telling them what to do. It is why this country rebelled in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And yet we governed by a strict code of laws. We governed by what the law said, even if it didn't feel right. Everyone nowadays is a snowflake. Everyone feels personally victimized when something they don't like happens.

A moral and social code is perfectly fine, and even welcomed. Personal beliefs from the bench, and bible thumping in the Senate? Not so much. No one wants to some bitter old asshole telling them what to do. It is why this country rebelled in the first place.
View Quote
Did you see that the university took the state of Robert E Lee off the Duke Chapel a few weeks ago?  Never even noticed the statue of him in the first place, but it annoyed me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Love the GD logic of using religious values to justify discrimination against a portion of the population. Because that will totally work out in their favor when Christians are a minority in this country. 

Keep thumping that bible and calling those of us who believe in freedom a “fringe element of society”. 
View Quote
Yeah, well, when it became seemingly okay for the left to became "democratic socialists" and such, calling for throwing out much of the constitution, I figured, why not become a Catholic Monarchist?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What about folks that disagree with your 'universal standard'?

The majority in Zimbabwe think it is morally right to hurt whites and take their things.

Why do you think your standard is 'better'? Or even 'right'?  

Or to what higher standard do you appeal to break the tie?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who defines "the right thing"?
Don't hurt people, don't take their stuff is a universal standard. We can argue if it's from an ingrained in our DNA, just comes from common sense, or from on high.
What about folks that disagree with your 'universal standard'?

The majority in Zimbabwe think it is morally right to hurt whites and take their things.

Why do you think your standard is 'better'? Or even 'right'?  

Or to what higher standard do you appeal to break the tie?
They who have the most weapons win.  Same as it's been through all of human history.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
FIB.  That's all you need to know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did you see that the university took the state of Robert E Lee off the Duke Chapel a few weeks ago?  Never even noticed the statue of him in the first place, but it annoyed me.
View Quote
I mean, we are a Private University, so if that's what they want to do it is what they want to do. That said, I thought there should have been some discussion or something over it. They just took it down, no questions asked. I mean, it was quiet though, compared to what happened in Durham and on UNC's campus, which was probably Duke's goal. I just wish they would put it in a museum or something. Duke has a lot of nice museums on campus.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is why some of you aren't taken seriously.

Can you give me just one example of Judge Moore wanting to "stone fags"?

We will wait for your example or your admittance that you are full of bull.
View Quote
Judge Moore is the same guy who said:

“It is an inherent evil against which children must be protected,” referring to gays.

“Just because it’s done behind closed doors, it can still be prohibited by state law. Do you know that bestiality, the relationship between man and beast is prohibited in every state?” Moore told Press. When asked if Moore was comparing homosexuality to bestiality, he replied, “It’s the same thing.” When referring to gays.

“There is no such thing as evolution,” Moore told The Washington Post. “That we came from a snake? No, I don’t believe that.” Referring to evolution.

“Sounds a little bit like the Pentagon, whose breaking came suddenly at an instance, doesn't it?" Moore said. “If you think that's coincidence, if you go to verse 25, 'there should be up on every high mountain and upon every hill rivers and streams of water in the day of the great slaughter when the towers will fall.' You know, we've suffered a lot in this country, maybe, just maybe, because we've distanced ourselves from the one that has it within his hands to heal this land." Referring to 9/11 as God's will against our sins.

This dude is a real fucking piece of work.

The only thing I even remotely agree with him on is his stance on Islam and the 1st Amendment. He is right about that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

FIB.  That's all you need to know.
View Quote
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top