User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who defines "the right thing"?
View Quote
Don't hurt people, don't take their stuff is a universal standard. We can argue if it's from an ingrained in our DNA, just comes from common sense, or from on high.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How do you define "overly religious" ? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
great. Another overly religious asshole who's going to spend his time bitching about gays and abortion. Just what the GOP needs. 
How do you define "overly religious" ? 
A believer, this is GD.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Hooray, railing about sodomy and sexual perversion being somehow anti liberty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is why we have multiple branches of government and checks and balances.

The legislature can change the law.  The judicial branch rules on the constitutionality and application of the law.

It is not the job or prerogative of a judge to decide that a law violates his personal beliefs.

You've heard of judicial activism, right?  It's a bad thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if it’s the law it’s perfectly fine to uphold?  
I wonder why blacks aren’t still picking cotton?  
Or I wonder if it being the law allowed so many Germans to sleep well at night knowing they sent countless Jews to their death?

The legislature can change the law.  The judicial branch rules on the constitutionality and application of the law.

It is not the job or prerogative of a judge to decide that a law violates his personal beliefs.

Again, Moore didn't violate the law. 

Per your definition, Moore made rulings on the application of the law.  That's what judges do. 
The people elected Moore because they wanted Moore to make those rulings. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
How is your liberty or rights threatened by allowing other people the liberty to do what they like and the legal protection you have?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's gonna drop a turd in the Progressives punch bowl. Lindsey Graham will probably shit his pants anytime he comes within striking distance of this guy. So worth it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Highlights of Moore’s background:
-  Raised in rural Alabama, Southern Baptist 
-  West Point graduate
-  US Army Vietnam veteran
-  Lawyer
-  Kickboxer
-  Cowboy
-  Trial lawyer, personal injury
-  Circuit court judge
First elected Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, and then fired because he wouldn’t remove a Ten Commandments monument. 
Again elected Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, and then fired because he told Alabama courts not to issue gay marriage licenses. 

Last week Moore said he wanted to free the country and military from“political correctness and social experimentation like transgender troops in our bathrooms.”
“Our foundation has been shaken. Crime, corruption, immorality, abortion, sodomy, sexual perversion sweep our land. When we become one nation under God again,
when liberty and justice for all reigns across our land, we will be truly good again.”

The election is Tuesday.  Moore is certain to be elected - he's leading in the polls by around 10%.
“I hope it sends McConnell and the Senate leadership fund another message — is that they can be beaten and let them run scared for a while.” Roy Moore said on Sunday.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/24/roy-moore-wants-alabama-voters-send-message-mitch-mcconnell/
View Quote

Roy Moore is Alabama's version of the Taliban. I've met him in person.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is my concern as well. Someone on the right using their morals and religious ideals to enact policy is just as bad as someone on the left. Given the track record of fundamentalist republican policy makers, (from Alabama at that,) doesn't give me warm and fuzzies.
View Quote
Do you disagree with his moral and religious ideals?

If so, which part?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you disagree with his moral and religious ideals?

If so, which part?
View Quote
IT doesn't fucking matter. Stop acting like a liberal and wanting people to rule because "muuuhh Feelings" The religious right is a sensitive and blind as the liberal left.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yourself.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if it is to late to get an absentee ballot sent my permanent residence in Texas or is that only available to Democrats?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Per your definition, Moore made rulings on the application of the law.  That's what judges do. 
View Quote
Yep, and he was overruled by a higher court because we was wrong.

In the previous thread, somebody postulated that it was all a stunt to get his name in the papers.  He knew we would be fired, and it was a stunt to posture himself for a run at the senate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only issue is that as State Supreme Court Justice, Moore ruled that state agencies must uphold state law. The Federal judiciary were the one's conducting judicial activism since the legislative branch had taken no action to create or change laws governing marriage (a fundamental states' right in my opinion).
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't hurt people, don't take their stuff is a universal standard. We can argue if it's from an ingrained in our DNA, just comes from common sense, or from on high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about folks that disagree with your 'universal standard'?

The majority in Zimbabwe think it is morally right to hurt whites and take their things.

Why do you think your standard is 'better'? Or even 'right'?  

Or to what higher standard do you appeal to break the tie?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In the previous thread, somebody postulated that it was all a stunt to get his name in the papers.  He knew we would be fired, and it was a stunt to posture himself for a run at the senate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad we agree that Moore didn't violate "the law". 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
The gay religionist Kyle Whitmore doesn't understand some of his own arguments. I'm sure he'll be shocked to learn that the state does claim monopoly of force...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glad we agree that Moore didn't violate "the law". 
View Quote
A panel of his peers unanimously deemed his actions unconstitutional.  The Supreme Court refused to listen to his appeal.  Call it what you want.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A panel of his peers unanimously deemed his actions unconstitutional.  The Supreme Court refused to listen to his appeal.  Call it what you want.
View Quote
"He didn't violate it, he just didn't understand it" isn't exactly a quality I want in a judge.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"He didn't violate it, he just didn't understand it" isn't exactly a quality I want in a judge.
View Quote
Christian values and the Constitution are two of the most important influences on most members here.  What do we do when they conflict?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Christian values and the Constitution are two of the most important influences on most members here.  What do we do when they conflict?
View Quote
Clearly, the answer should be to default to the Big Book of Jewish Myths for answers instead of Blackstone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/trump_vows_to_campaign_for_roy.html

He said it at a rally he was at to support Strange.

Cant get much more clear and blatant than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this before or after President Trump twitted "It was great being with Luther Strange last night in Alabama. What great people, what a crowd! Vote Luther on Tuesday."
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/trump_vows_to_campaign_for_roy.html

He said it at a rally he was at to support Strange.

Cant get much more clear and blatant than that.
Well I guess it is good that Trump won't be supporting the Democratic party nominee.

Here is Trump stumping for Moore again this morning:

A primary win by "Ray" Moore would open Alabama's U.S. Senate seat to Democrats, President Donald Trump told radio-hosts "Rick and Bubba" this morning.

Trump called the popular syndicated radio show on Monday, just days after appearing at a Huntsville, Alabama rally for Republican Senate candidate Luther Strange.

"Luther Strange is going to be a great Senator," Trump said. "He loves Alabama, he loves the state and he loves the country. He will absolutely win against the Democrat. Ray will have a hard time. If Luther wins, the Democrats will hardly fight. If Ray wins (Democrats) will pour in $30 million."

When host Rick Burgess clarified that Moore's first name was Roy and not Ray, Trump came back with why it's "not a good sign" when the president doesn't know your name.

"I don't know that much about Roy Moore," Trump said, using the correct first name. "Roy Moore is going to have a very hard time getting elected against the Democrat. Against Luther, they won't even fight."

Trump Calls Huntsville Morning Radio Show "Rick and Bubba"
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All of you Christianity haters miss an important thing......

The people of Alabama are going to elect him.  Know why?

Because they like what he stands for.

You guys are the fringe, and are, as usual, wrong.
View Quote
I'm not a Christianity hater.  In fact, I would identify as Christian.

And Roy Moore's beliefs are much more suited to the legislature than the bench.

In Congress he can freely vote his morals to change or enact new laws.  But unfortunately, from the judicial bench, he doesn't (and shouldn't) have that authority.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is unequivocally false, and one of the most important characteristics of a judge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can separate your religious beliefs or morality from anything, then you don't actually have religious beliefs or morality.
That is unequivocally false, and one of the most important characteristics of a judge.
Based upon my experience in front of a lot of judges... Meh.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So war and self-defense is immoral? Physical or emotional "hurt"?

And why doesn't history agree that is a universal standard? See: the world pre- and post- modern religions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
I've never been a fan of Moore. I'd much prefer Mo, who I voted for in the first primary. BUT...

I'll take Moore any day over Big Luther. If I knew nothing about Strange or Moore, the fact that AL.com put out that video would be a spectacular endorsement for Moore. Much of what was discussed in the totally unbiased and 100% factual video I'm pretty ok with.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yourself.
The very definition of relative morality.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So war and self-defense is immoral? Physical or emotional "hurt"?

And why doesn't history agree that is a universal standard? See: the world pre- and post- modern religions.
View Quote
Within a community, there are few societies that condone hurting or stealing from other members of the community. Throw tribalism and the need for resources and "us versus them" into the mix and those morals change, even when given instructions fro above.

Of course, that's before we add in the instructions from one's God(s) to actively kill, rape, and steal from the people on the other side of a hill, but that's neither here nor there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well I guess it is good that Trump won't be supporting the Democratic party nominee.

Here is Trump stumping for Moore again this morning:

A primary win by "Ray" Moore would open Alabama's U.S. Senate seat to Democrats, President Donald Trump told radio-hosts "Rick and Bubba" this morning.

Trump called the popular syndicated radio show on Monday, just days after appearing at a Huntsville, Alabama rally for Republican Senate candidate Luther Strange.

"Luther Strange is going to be a great Senator," Trump said. "He loves Alabama, he loves the state and he loves the country. He will absolutely win against the Democrat. Ray will have a hard time. If Luther wins, the Democrats will hardly fight. If Ray wins (Democrats) will pour in $30 million."

When host Rick Burgess clarified that Moore's first name was Roy and not Ray, Trump came back with why it's "not a good sign" when the president doesn't know your name.

"I don't know that much about Roy Moore," Trump said, using the correct first name. "Roy Moore is going to have a very hard time getting elected against the Democrat. Against Luther, they won't even fight."

Trump Calls Huntsville Morning Radio Show "Rick and Bubba"
View Quote
So be it. I'd rather the Dem win than the guy McConnell has spent millions upon millions to get elected.

ETA: If we're being serious though, the idea that the dems may win this seat is laughable at best.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you can separate your religious beliefs or morality from anything, then you don't actually have religious beliefs or morality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he was a Judge who couldn't separate his religious beliefs from his duty. Sounds just like the piece of Shit liberals we bash here, going with his feelings instead of the law.
Sure ya do.  Secular humanism is a religion cloaked as "morality".
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would you have the same opinion had he displayed the Quran, or other non-Judeo-Christian religious texts, in his courtroom?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So he was a Judge who couldn't separate his religious beliefs from his duty. Sounds just like the piece of Shit liberals we bash here, going with his feelings instead of the law.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
ETA: If we're being serious though, the idea that the dems may win this seat is laughable at best.
View Quote
Yep.

The election tomorrow will pick who is Alabama's other Senator.

That makes Trumps endorsement of McConnell's lapdog that much more befuddling.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
great. Another overly religious asshole who's going to spend his time bitching about gays and abortion. Just what the GOP needs. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

But I'll take him over the alternative. A man with principles can be talked into another position with logic and reason.

A man with no principles is... well. A Democrat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Would you have the same opinion had he displayed the Quran, or other non-Judeo-Christian religious texts, in his courtroom?
View Quote
Oh, well, that's totally different.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course not, but hypotheticals aren't allowed.  Or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep.

View Quote
Just throwing Mitch a bone. Wouldn't be shocked to learn McConnell threatened Trump with complete senate shutdown if he didn't publicly support his guy.

I think you'll find Trump will be very enthusiastically behind Moore.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Of course not, but that isn't the question.

The question is: Who do the citizens of Alabama want to represent them in Congress.

They, and I, like Moore.
View Quote
Representatives should voice the opinions, concerns, and ideals of their constituency.  In this, Moore may be a great fit for Congress.

We could use more bible thumpers in the senate to balance out the leftists.

He was still in the wrong as a judge though, even if you share his religious beliefs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just throwing Mitch a bone. Wouldn't be shocked to learn McConnell threatened Trump with complete senate shutdown if he didn't publicly support his guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Yet, he isn't throwing Mitch a bone in the AZ Senate race. Trump is doing just the opposite.

I wish there was confirmation on this, but I am beginning to believe the Breitbart article that the Strange endorsement was Kushner's doing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#42]
The more I think about it, the less I like this guy. He's no better than the liberals who invented constitutional rights. (And I'm pro-gay marriage and pro-choice. The way the liberals went about that shit was absurd fucking "law". I don't particularly want a Christian religious version of that. It's bullshit.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The question is: Who do the citizens of Alabama want to represent them in Congress.

They, and I, like Moore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They, and I, like Moore.
No, we don't.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's no hindrance to occupying a senatorial seat. See Biden. Boxer. Byrd (you can be a klansman too). Hillary. Kerry. Reid.
View Quote
Klan or clandestine; they're all cut from the same cloth.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A panel of his peers unanimously deemed his actions unconstitutional. The Supreme Court refused to listen to his appeal.   Call it what you want.
View Quote
That's simply not true.  They didn't deem his actions unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think anyone in this thread is a "Christianity hater", they've merely voiced their opinion on having Christian values forced on them.  

If those voting and enacting laws based on Christian values were the majority, they would be ensconced in law and the good judge wouldn't have been unanimously overruled.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Judges who put personal beliefs over the law and federal court orders?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need more like him by the looks of it.
Judges who put personal beliefs over the law and federal court orders?
Laws are not always moral or constitutional. Federal court orders are many times questionable
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Roy Moore is Alabama's version of the Taliban. I've met him in person.
View Quote
Haw many Taliban have you met in person to be able to make that informed assertion?  Inquiring minds (DHS, FBI, CIA) want to know...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both of these. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.

But I'll take him over the alternative. A man with principles can be talked into another position with logic and reason.

A man with no principles is... well. A Democrat.
View Quote
Good luck changing the mind of an ideologue.  I'd still support him over the liberal but he's far from an ideal choice to me. 
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top