Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Protests have become a party for these fools. 

Not one mofo gives a damn about the fucker they shot. Its an excuse to tear up shit and miss class
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a rather "squishy" answer.

How about a definitive one? (like a number)
View Quote
Since I am not a cop, the obvious answer is zero.  Just like most cops on here.  You aren't a detective, are you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But... but... but... They didn't have to kill him! They could have shot to wound instead of to kill.

I promise you that there will be some fool who has never fired so much as a BB gun or even a paintball gun making that argument.
View Quote
You guys need to understand they don't care about the tranny that got killed. They want to riot and tear shit apart.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I can tell the difference between an unopened leatherman and a knife from a good distance away.

I think your gun comparison is a bit of a reach.
View Quote
In the dark? under stress? while it's being wielded by an unstable individual?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1.  When a suspect approaches an officer with an object in his hand saying 'Shoot me" after repeated commands to stop that he evidently understood, I dont think the officer is culpable in the shooting.

Agree and disagree. Had there not been a video, I'd lean more towards the officers side but now seeing the video, that's not a compelling enough argument to me to justify deadly force in this situation. As someone else stated, it's like the officer who shot wasn't in the mood to DE-escalate the situation on this night.

2.  It's weird that a US campus PD in this day and age does not have issue Tasers.

Same. You would think out of all the places to have one, a campus would be it.

3. Gender dysphoria is a symptom of mental illness. I dont understand how people encourage the symptom and are later shocked at the results.

Agreed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  When a suspect approaches an officer with an object in his hand saying 'Shoot me" after repeated commands to stop that he evidently understood, I dont think the officer is culpable in the shooting.

[color=#ff0000]Agree and disagree. Had there not been a video, I'd lean more towards the officers side but now seeing the video, that's not a compelling enough argument to me to justify deadly force in this situation. As someone else stated, it's like the officer who shot wasn't in the mood to DE-escalate the situation on this night. [/color]

2.  It's weird that a US campus PD in this day and age does not have issue Tasers.

Same. You would think out of all the places to have one, a campus would be it.

3. Gender dysphoria is a symptom of mental illness. I dont understand how people encourage the symptom and are later shocked at the results.

Agreed.
Are you sure you watched the video?  If so, how did you come to that conclusion?   When the cop is asking crazy guy his name, trying to talk to him, all the while telling him to drop the knife eleventy billion times, what do you think they're trying to do if not "de-escelate"?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since I am not a cop, the obvious answer is zero.  Just like most cops on here.  You aren't a detective, are you?
View Quote
Maybe a defective, but not a detective.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Place sure has changed since I graduated. EE class of "89. Glad my son & daughter both decided to go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure the university lawyers have vetoed tasers.

Too much liability.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Non compliant, suicidal, subject with a knife in hand that comes closer than 21 feet has a 50/50 chance of getting shot. Police are typically trained that a person with an edged weapon in hand at that distance will typically close and stab/cut before they can be drawn on or effectively stopped with pistol fire. Given their training, I'd say that the majority of likewise trained and equipped law enforcement officers would have done the same in that particular circumstance. Or they would at least agree with that officer's response as being a reasonable one with the clarity of hindsight and the safety of their computer/TV screen between them and a potential deadly threat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you sure you watched the video?  If so, how did you come to that conclusion?   When the cop is asking crazy guy his name, trying to talk to him, all the while telling him to drop the knife eleventy billion times, what do you think they're trying to do if not "de-escelate"?
View Quote
The same one as you I assume. Just because you get tired of asking someone to drop a knife doesn't justify shooting.

This person obviously wasn't going to drop it so next thing to do is think how are we going to stop this. And going from 1-10 isn't always the right cal IMO.

And no, I'm not a "should have shot him in the leg" person but I feel this could have ended differently with no one getting seriously injured and certainly not death.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The same one as you I assume. Just because you get tired of asking someone to drop a knife doesn't justify shooting.

This person obviously wasn't going to drop it so next thing to do is think how are we going to stop this. And going from 1-10 isn't always the right cal IMO.

And no, I'm not a "should have shot him in the leg" person but I feel this could have ended differently with no one getting seriously injured and certainly not death.
View Quote
fair enough. What would you have done?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm normally not a big fan of interjecting my method for handling situations police are trained to handle but let me point you towards this well known video as an idea.

Ignore the comical music

Protester blocking highway gets SLAMMED.

Seemed like the suspect at GA Tech was very preoccupied on what was going on in front of him/her. You're talking about a suicidal mentally ill individual here who desperately needs help, not someone who went on a stabbing spree who was finally cornered.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm sure the university lawyers have vetoed tasers.

Too much liability.
View Quote
Wonder what they think now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably as many as most cops on here.
View Quote
Just because a lot of the cops on here don't beat their chests don't assume what they've experienced.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought you were kind of cool until that thread about the California ADA getting jumped by the gangbangers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I thought you were kind of cool until that thread about the California ADA getting jumped by the gangbangers.
View Quote
Ask my kids.  I am not cool.

Never was.

It doesn't bother me much.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Advancing with a weapon is not a two dimensional threat. It's a bit presumptuous to say the reason that the officer fired is because he was "tired" of anything.

I agree there are better ways of handling that type of scenario but, I dont know what other tools they had or what level of training they get for that.

If the guy called someone's house and said "Im coming over with a knife and a gun" and then actually showed up with something in his hand shouting "Shoot me!", I dont think anyone would consider the homeowner culpable in the shooting that person. Legally and morally, I think the officer is not culpable. Tactically? Well, dang, I dont know what less lethal tactics a 5 crease navy blue oxford imbues a man with but, in my experience, not a lot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am going to have a party when Bradley Manning finally suck starts his kel-tec .32
View Quote
I laughed out loud.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Good shoot

Advancing with an edged weapon places lives at risk..."lives" - plural. Reference the Tueller Drill cannot be emphasized enough here. 0-60 in 1.5 seconds
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that was a bit beyond the pale.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
If the cops would have shot and not killed the thing, or even managed to give it some hickory until it stopped, would the mob have been satisfied?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very true.

But if he spent any money on surgery he got ripped off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott was still male.  All the long hair, makeup, surgery, drugs, and self identification you want does not change XX or XY.
Very true.

But if he spent any money on surgery he got ripped off.
Hell's Bells, the tax payers probably paid for it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now how will we get men them/their/they to Mars?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I said I didn't care.

You obviously do.

So, tell me how you have kept up with the unfortunate ladies condition?

Care to give us an update?

I will note, with no small amount of irony, that in a thread where it was painstakingly explained that the biggest reason to not "shoot to wound" was that a DA would prosecute the officer responsible I was reminded that those same over zealous DAs who can't wait to throw cops in jail are also special important creatures on the side of truth, justice and the American way.

That is when they aren't trying to throw cops in jail for exercising discretion and not killing someone if they had a different option.

It is breathtaking to note.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't this incident just another version of assisted suicide?  Doesn't the left normally love assisted suicide?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
G.T.P.D. needs some training on having fire extinguishers and a fire retardent blanket handy? Seriously didn't look like the vehicle needed to burn.

I'd assume a road flare was tossed in it.
View Quote
Yeah I was wondering about that.  Looked like it could have initially been put it out with a bottle of water.  I've had to re-light flares that were put out by rain.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm normally not a big fan of interjecting my method for handling situations police are trained to handle but let me point you towards this well known video as an idea.

Ignore the comical music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zsmD6DGjRk

Seemed like the suspect at GA Tech was very preoccupied on what was going on in front of him/her. You're talking about a suicidal mentally ill individual here who desperately needs help, not someone who went on a stabbing spree who was finally cornered.
View Quote
The last part was not known by the cops.  They did not know Scout had set this in motion and already had his suicide notes written.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the very true threads that ever "triggered" me
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now how will we get men to Mars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct
I simply proposed an alternative option that still allowed the officers to remain safe but didn't require the death of the student.
that's all.
Meh, no great loss.
Now how will we get men to Mars?
The chance that it will be "men" that get there just went up a wee bit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#32]
"Colleges" are no longer Colleges.

ETA: "You've come to the wrong shop for anarchy, brother"
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If the cops would have shot and not killed the thing, or even managed to give it some hickory until it stopped, would the mob have been satisfied?
View Quote
This is the salient point.  The mob is not satisfied with any actions from those they deem from the "other side".  So, no.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
They should be celebrating.  The thing wanted deaded by the police and its wish was granted.  Its mental anguish is now over.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Advancing with a weapon is not a two dimensional threat. It's a bit presumptuous to say the reason that the officer fired is because he was "tired" of anything.

I agree there are better ways of handling that type of scenario but, I dont know what other tools they had or what level of training they get for that.

If the guy called someone's house and said "Im coming over with a knife and a gun" and then actually showed up with something in his hand shouting "Shoot me!", I dont think anyone would consider the homeowner culpable in the shooting that person. Legally and morally, I think the officer is not culpable. Tactically? Well, dang, I dont know what less lethal tactics a 5 crease navy blue oxford imbues a man with but, in my experience, not a lot.
View Quote
As individuals, we do not have the same duties and responsibilities as leo's when it comes to self defense, de-escalation tactics etc. Plus, someone showing up at someone's house with a knife is different than 4-5 cops having guns drawn on a suspect and seemingly having things under some sort of control. I don't know how long they spent talking to the person but it seemed like enough to potentially pick a different route.

I essentially agree with your conclusion "Legally and morally, I think the officer is not culpable. Tactically? Well, dang, I dont know...." The issue is we're talking about a loss of life not a ticket or an arrest or anything along those lines. It's a big enough deal to look back and say "huh, did we do everything we could to prevent having to use deadly force while making sure we're safe."

Again, a leo unrightfully? tickets someone or even books someone, oh well. You take someones life, lets really make sure we exhaust all other options, safely.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
SCOUT ..... NOT Scott.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott was still male.  All the long hair, makeup, surgery, drugs, and self identification you want does not change XX or XY.
SCOUT ..... NOT Scott.
His birth name was Scott, he tried to deny his being born male by calling himself something else that didn't sound male.  Sorry, not buying into the whole I'm the sex I decide I am BS.  What he needed was treatment for mental illness that caused him to want to appear female and for being unstable enough to commit suicide by cop.

He got want he wanted, he was just too chicken to do it himself.  So, instead, the selfish bastard got some poor campus cop to do it for him.

Now, we'll get all the hand wringing from the left about how the eeeevil police should have done something different.  

Well, how about Mommy and Daddy doing something different? Like getting their son the psychiatric treatment he clearly needed, and I suspect they were aware of the need for some time. Yet, they did nothing. How about Scott doing something different like walk into ANY emergency room and telling them he wants to commit suicide?

He made his choice. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Isn't this incident just another version of assisted suicide?  Doesn't the left normally love assisted suicide?
View Quote
Troof...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ignore the comical music

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the comical music

The person in the video you linked was not holding a knife. Tackling the unarmed person when you have a lot of LEO's with you is a viable solution in that scenario. Tackling the person with the knife in this scenario is not a viable solution as there is too much risk involving injury/death to the officers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Legally? I think it's a good shoot

Should the cops have tried to de escalate? I think they could have tried. Yelling "drop the knife" while aiming a gun at someone is not de escalating. Asking what its name is a start but yelling with a gun kinda negates that.

How much training do cops get to de escalate people with mental health issues? It's not always easy even with lots of training. If it was I'd never need IM haldol.

For those who say bad shoot I'd like to see how you handle a psychotic, armed person.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I laughed out loud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to have a party when Bradley Manning finally suck starts his kel-tec .32
I laughed out loud.
Yea when his fame runs out I look forward to him suck starting a shotgun
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
You just know that's coming.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ignore the comical music

View Quote
So you think the proper tactic police should use against a suspect with an edged weapon is to go hands on with him and tackle him?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So you think the proper tactic police should use against a suspect with an edged weapon is to go hands on with him and tackle him?
View Quote
It worked great on that woman on COPS years ago.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
see.

I still wanted to shoot him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Would you really feel scared or in fear for your life coming up behind someone with a multitool/pocket knife and body slamming them without them seeing you?

Not saying it's the proper tactic but it's an option.

And don't conflate what I'm proposing for this one instance with every other instance of a suspect with an edged weapon.

I'm not going anywhere near a dude with a machete.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?   How would you do that,given the same tools that officer was carrying?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
The mob would only have been satisfied had the cop been stabbed to death and Scout walked free...............

There are quite a few instances on some of the audio from that confrontation where the cops tried to reason with him to put the knife down..........I think one cop said something like "c'mon man, just put it down" and basically pleaded with him..........he just screamed "Shoot me!" Not much else they could have done..............damned sure didn't want to advance and try to disarm him when he had an edged weapon.............
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Martha McCallum just jumped the shark with Mark Ferman.

She was saying aren't the police trained to shoot people in the ankle or the leg in these situations.

If that was written for her the writer needs to be bitched slapped. If she came up with it on her own then she should no longer be allowed to report on such situations.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Would you really feel scared or in fear for your life coming up behind someone with a multitool/pocket knife and body slamming them without them seeing you?

Not saying it's the proper tactic but it's an option.

And don't conflate what I'm proposing for this one instance with every other instance of a suspect with an edged weapon.

I'm not going anywhere near a dude with a machete.
View Quote
Cops are already at risk in such a situation, nothing in the job description says they have to put themselves at more risk unnecessarily when it can be avoided.  This is simple, you have a knife within the reactionary gap, cops ask you to drop knife, you drop it or get shot. The onus is not on the cops.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top